• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros vs. Playstation All Stars

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Hello friends! Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season. I've taken a hiatus from the site to take care of school work and other important things. its good to be back.

Recently i've been thinking about Smash 4 and how exciting it will be when it gets released, especially because i was lucky enough to get a wii u. However, I also bought and have played PSASBR.

PSAS is a truly good game. Good characters, the gameplay works, etc. However, it is no Super Smash Bros. However, because of the type of game that it is, it is Sony's direct competitor to Smash Bros. I'd like to point out a few things.

1. There are ZERO unlockable characters (5 being 3rd party!)
2. Any other characters will be DLC
3. All stages are mixed between 2 games. Ex. jak and Daxter/ Hot Shots Golf
4. Only unlockable features are extras, such as victory themes for characters, costumes, etc...
5. Characters are leveled from 1 to 300, and as you level them up, you unlock certain things for that character.

These got me thinking. I WANT there to be unlockable characters in Smash. I don't see them changing that so i'm not worried.

As we know, I am definitely in favor of DLC characters. This is because Nintendo has a much more expansive character collection than Sony could ever have, and they could be added gradually. Only if it's affordable.

I kinda like the mixed stage idea. Its clever and makes for some great stage affects. I'm not entirely sure it would work as well in Smash Bros.

Along with character unlockables, this would be a GREAT addition to Smash, at least I think. Imagine it! Unlocking the tanooki suit for Mario or a Dry Bowser costume for Bowser. Different art styles for Link even! (Or maybe even Old Snake for Snake lol)

leveling I could care less about. There are many ways you can unlock stuff like that in games.

So what do you guys think? Do you think the stuff in PSASBR could be useful to Smash? Would you like to see similar stuff? If so, what exactly would that be?

EDIT: Almost forgot. 2 other things about PSAS. There are 3 levels of a super, 1 being the hardest to kill with, 3 being incredibly easy. Secondly, the only way to knock someone out is to hit them with the super

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
These got me thinking. I WANT there to be unlockable characters in Smash. I don't see them changing that so i'm not worried.
Are you meaning you want or you don't want there to be any unlockable characters?

I though am still against taking out the unlocking of some characters. Dunno but they're one of the best thrills in Smash Bros. Melee did it pretty swell though time to time I wondered what they were thinking with some of 'em (Mewtwo)

As we know, I am definitely in favor of DLC characters. This is because Nintendo has a much more expansive character collection than Sony could ever have, and they could be added gradually. Only if it's affordable.
Agreeing with this too. We'd at least have a character or two we can see being added to Smash hopefully by DLC.

I kinda like the mixed stage idea. Its clever and makes for some great stage affects. I'm not entirely sure it would work as well in Smash Bros.
Don't like this idea much:

- Seeing how gimmicky some stages can just be in Smash Bros, mixing stages would create even crazier mishmash than Mario Bros or Hanenbow has ever been.

- It would mess with the presentation. How we'd suppose to corporate the elements from both games and also the music if two franchises needs to be represented in a stage? I think it'd make the stages feel like something without an identity most of the time (and they'd have to get pretty creative to execute this idea well out.)

Along with character unlockables, this would be a GREAT addition to Smash, at least I think. Imagine it! Unlocking the tanooki suit for Mario or a Dry Bowser costume for Bowser. Different art styles for Link even! (Or maybe even Old Snake for Snake lol)
Many have been wanting to see alt. costumes and I personally agree. I hope they would start to expand upon this feature in Smash Bros.

I dunno tho, Smash doesn't necessarily need to do what PSABR did, it can just try to improve on some features that have been underused (alt.costumes for example)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I agree with Horsetail's points, since my point of view is more or less the same.

DLC could be a nice improvement if it's implemented well. and the whole idea of costumes seems to be widely accepted among the community. since most fighting games do this nowadays and Brawl did it with Wario, I expect SSB4 to improve on this concept.

the mixed stage idea isn't too appealing to me, even though Brawl sort of did it with Summit having the Balloon Fighter fish. in fact, the Summit idea isn't too bad, just don't overdo it by mixing too much elements from different universes.

Summit having the Balloon Fighter fish didn't detract much from it being a primarily Ice Climber-themed stage, since both universes aren't as developed as Mario's, Zelda's, Metroid's or Fire Emblem's. you know what I mean?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not a fan of PSAS. I tried the demo, and I didn't even realize my character died. There is no feeling your character is killed. He just vanishes compared to smashes grandiose...smashes. You just *POOF* gone.

If you want a game with feeling, play smash. I'm not sure what a fan of PSAS would be going for, but it's definitely not for me.

It's not very instinctive for me to assume my character has died without showing anything but poof. I don't feel like I'm even harming the opponents when I attack

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Playstation All Stars is fun in it's own ways, but I definitely agree. It isn't as good as Smash Bros. The characters aren't as good. The gameplay isn't as good etc...

@Frostwraith and Horsetail yea i agree with you guys. The mixed stages is done well in Playstation All Stars, and while i personally think it could be cool in Smash Bros, I just don't see it happening. As far as unlockables, i LOVE unlocking characters so I want Smash to keep unlockable fighters.

I don't want Smash to steal from PSAS, but simply innovate to better itself. Make things that are underused in Smash better than they are in PSAS. Can't wait for it!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Why is this thread in the character discussion section?

As for All Stars, outside of it being a Rumble Arena rip off and it most likely being a hit or miss (not that it's not fun), I'd rather keep my own interpretations of it to myself until it receives a price drop.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
eh i like PSABR. really its similarities really only go as far as system exclusives in an up to 4 man brawler. but anyways the only things i would like to see Smash do that PSABR did would be unlockable costumes. im not a fan of DLC characters. the stage mixing wouldnt work nearly as well because Nintendo games have a more cohesiveness and unity than Playstation does and the jarring effect is what makes it work in Battle Royale.

And the Demo didnt do the game any justice whatsoever.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I sort of like the character levelling idea. But only for single player mode, for obvious reasons.

I also like a bit of a challenge to unlock characters, but I also get impatient when the hardest to unlock character is the one I most want to play (Mewtwo).

Mixed stages could be interesting. It's sort of logical in a way. Maybe just have 2 or 3 mixed stages in addition to the series-specific ones.

I haven't played PSAS, and am very unlikely to as I don't know anyone who owns a PS3.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I think Nintendo can take a few ideas from PS All Stars, they could do the leveling up system.

For me, I would like to keep some characters unlockable, since I do have fun unlocking them, as long as it is not too difficult to get them.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I played the demo at a store. I can say that
a) I dislike how you KO people. Maybe that's just me.
b) Most of the time I don't realize I've died.
c) A certain Kratos is pretty OP with his attacks that have stupid long reach.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I played the demo at a store. I can say that
a) I dislike how you KO people. Maybe that's just me.
b) Most of the time I don't realize I've died.
c) A certain Kratos is pretty OP with his attacks that have stupid long reach.
yeah i can understand points A and B. but doesnt the demo in stores only have like 4 of the characters? of course one of them would seem better. Kratos is one of those that seems really good but in reality he's just easy to figure out.

as far as balancing goes I think Battle Royale did a far better job than Smash has.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
yeah i can understand points A and B. but doesnt the demo in stores only have like 4 of the characters? of course one of them would seem better. Kratos is one of those that seems really good but in reality he's just easy to figure out.

as far as balancing goes I think Battle Royale did a far better job than Smash has.
Yes it has 4 characters, but I think his reach is silly.

Though I did easily trump him with Jak and Parappa.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Sony Smash Brothers is far from competition. Reviewers were meh (76 on Metacritic) and sales were awful. In it's first week, it could only sell 176K. For comparison, Brawl sold 842K in it's first week with only Japan sales. For it's first week in the US, it sold 1,355K. It's far from competition.

The only thing that would improve the game is DLC, but everyone wanted that long before Sony Smash was announced.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The thing that separates Sony's characters with Nintendo's is that the latter's characters are far and away more iconic.

Think about it... You probably couldn't find a single person who didn't know who characters like Mario, Link, or Pikachu were. On the flip side I bet a good majority of non-gamers wouldn't have any idea who Sony's stars are.

However I will admit that Sony has a more impressive list of newer iconic characters like Uncharted's Nathan Drake, LittleBigPlanet's Sackboy, and Infamous' Cole. I'm not sure if Nintendo has any newer characters that can stand up to those guys in terms of popularity.

nessokman

Smash Lord
sony has a bad habit of ripping off nintendo.They have a mario kart of sorts.I saw an AD for this and intantly thought "hmm a fighter with sony's all stars.Smash knockoff"

Either way i prefer the original, smash.Knockoffs don't get it in my book.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The thing that separates Sony's characters with Nintendo's is that the latter's characters are far and away more iconic.

Think about it... You probably couldn't find a single person who didn't know who characters like Mario, Link, or Pikachu were. On the flip side I bet a good majority of non-gamers wouldn't have any idea who Sony's stars are.

However I will admit that Sony has a more impressive list of newer iconic characters like Uncharted's Nathan Drake, LittleBigPlanet's Sackboy, and Infamous' Cole. I'm not sure if Nintendo has any newer characters that can stand up to those guys in terms of popularity.
I consider myself a gamer, but I haven't been much of a sony fan.

Usually if it's not on Nintendo the PC version is superior. Though I do have an XBOX 360 for games that aren't on either of those.

I actually know who most the characters are but I didn't know they were Sony characters and haven't played any of their games.

However, I always wanted to try Little Big Planet. It looks pretty nice. One game isn't going to change my mind about the system though.

With Nintendo's new system out, I consider this last generation over. I have no interest in buying a PS3 when the new consoles will be out in the upcoming years

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
sony has a bad habit of ripping off nintendo.They have a mario kart of sorts.I saw an AD for this and intantly thought "hmm a fighter with sony's all stars.Smash knockoff"

play the game before calling it a knockoff, 4 player brawler is a genere just like shooters and rpg's

3Bismyname

Smash Champion

thats kind of the game industry works. when something works there is bound to be imitaters. it's not like Nintendo never copied another successful series or idea.

Alpha Waves was the first 3-D Platformer. so every other 3-D platformer after couldn't possibly be good, right?
Pac-Land was one of the first 2-D sidescrollers to introduce momentum. does that make Super Mario bros a knockoff?
Street Fighter came before Tekken and Mortal Kombat. does that mean those other two suck?

Ignorantly disregarding a game because it shares similarities is asinine and frankly impossible when it comes to gaming nowadays.

oh and look up Outfxies before you say Smash is so original.

all that said PSABR is good but its no Smash Bros.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Like most everyone else here, I feel PSASBR is no competition to Smash. It's nothing Sakurai should really glance at for inspiration, either. That's not even his thing when it comes to designing games anyway.

PSASBR is a whole lot of fun though. Despite all the bad publicity on the game looking like a ripoff (which Sony is known to do, looking at you PSMove) and it's super system, it all surprisingly blends well together and just works (expect the LocoRoco stage, that's an eyesore).

I do hope Smash has online as least somewhat as good as PSASBR has. I haven't had a single problem with lag at all, which is impressive. Glitches, however, are another story entirely.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Underwhelming sales aside, it's probably the closest any game has come to being a true competitor.

As Sponge mentioned they got the netcode right. That alone raises the bar substantially for SSB4.

NessPSI

Smash Rookie
I got it on its release date at it was fun... for the first couple days. It feels pretty empty with no story, no unlockables, and overall it is just BROKE. Seriously, no one is balanced in that game(with the exception of spike and parappa) In the first 2 weeks they actually had to patch the game and make it more balanced(which didnt work very well i might ad) And now there are more patches coming along the way. Although i haven a feeling it will get a little better when the DLC characters come in. And if you watch the video showing off the 2 new DLC characters you can clearly see that THEIR broken to.
I was waiting for the game for months... But i honestly have low hopes for it as of now.

GanonPwner

Smash Rookie
Played the demo yestrday.

I just attack and I really don't know when I kill someone I just attack and attack.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I find the roster underwhelming. It really shows just how much more depth Nintendo has. I mean, of the guys in PSAS, who'd be even in the discussion to make SSB4 if they were part of the Nintendo stable? Not even half, I'd guess.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Eh I kinda think the roster is decent overall. Bit confused as to why Infamous gets 2 reps...which are both the same person. I do like the addition of Dan Fortesque though. But yeah, Smash Bros is superior. Love some of the wtf characters in Smash; I mean who expected Game and Watch? Then again, why is the question of PSAS vs Smash Bros being asked on a site dedicated to Smash...answer's gonna be kinda obvious.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
thats kind of the game industry works. when something works there is bound to be imitaters. it's not like Nintendo never copied another successful series or idea.

Alpha Waves was the first 3-D Platformer. so every other 3-D platformer after couldn't possibly be good, right?
Pac-Land was one of the first 2-D sidescrollers to introduce momentum. does that make Super Mario bros a knockoff?
Street Fighter came before Tekken and Mortal Kombat. does that mean those other two suck?

Ignorantly disregarding a game because it shares similarities is asinine and frankly impossible when it comes to gaming nowadays.

oh and look up Outfxies before you say Smash is so original.

all that said PSABR is good but its no Smash Bros.
This.

Everyone that keeps saying every party fighting game that's not smash bros is a rip off needs to read this post. Like over and over.

Anyway, I find this game really fun. Especially when doing team battle online to make people rage. I just play Radec and camp while my partner rolls around with Sly Cooper.:troll:

:phone:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

How about, most characters Nintendo has.

Underwhelming sales aside, it's probably the closest any game has come to being a true competitor.

As Sponge mentioned they got the netcode right. That alone raises the bar substantially for SSB4.
If anything, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up is more of a competitor. Heck, it's doing better sales wise.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Only because it's on the Wii and PS2, two of the highest selling platforms, it's a licensed game, and it was advertised as being made by the Brawl people.

Of course, that's if you really take sales into account as the only competition factor.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They need to do a REAL TMNT Smash up, with characters from the 1987 series. Now THAT would kick ***.

Not based on the crap CGI movie

El Duderino

Smash Ace
If anything, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up is more of a competitor. Heck, it's doing better sales wise.
PSABR has sold less than expected numbers, but there is no question it is selling at a faster rate than TMNT. I give it till the end of the holiday buying season or first price drop to pass it, and probably by a good margin.

I'm not really going by sales here though. I'm going by scope of the production, the strides PSABR has made in the genre that raise the bar for Smash 4 (solid online, balance patches, DLC characters, alternate costumes, etc), and potential relevancy as a competing franchise moving forward.

Tony_

Smash Ace
PSABR is a good game, and I can see it lasting for years to come. Infinites WILL kill the game though if any are discovered, and one stage ****s over zoning characters (Dojo).

The stage hazards really don't get in the way of the match, save for maybe the Jak and Daxter stage and you can turn them off regardless.

As for TMNT...

TMNT is better than goddamn brawl on account of a health meter and having to actually learn combos and what your character can do. TMNT is also better (to a certain extent) than PS All stars. Sure the cast is *** (3 rabbids lol) but its still miles better than what we got.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
PSABR has sold less than expected numbers, but there is no question it is selling at a faster rate than TMNT. I give it till the end of the holiday buying season or first price drop to pass it, and probably by a good margin.
Consider what your saying. We should be comparing this game to Smash, but it's sales are so bad that it has to be compared to TMNT. It's by far not a victory.

I'm not really going by sales here though. I'm going by scope of the production, the strides PSABR has made in the genre that raise the bar for Smash 4 (solid online, balance patches, DLC characters, alternate costumes, etc), and potential relevancy as a competing franchise moving forward.
Sales are all that matters. These companies have to make money, and whether or not a sequel will happens depends how much income Sony can get.

Right now, Sony Smash Bros ain't reaching anyone. In it's second it, it was rank 100th on the top 100 charts. That's pretty awful. Nintendo doesn't even have to change anything because their series is already making money where Sony Smash Brothers isn't. There is no competition. What your saying is Mom & Pop's electronic store is Wauchula, Florida is competition for Best Buy.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I like the idea in PSASBR for have 2 series mashed in a stage, but that should remain over there. PSASBR isn't a bad game, but it is different and sort off topic, it needed more japanese elements in it.

Top Bottom