• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros: Mugen Brawl - A Brawl With Them All

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I think what makes a character balanced is on how good he does against the whole cast. For example, if he has a positive match-up against the whole cast, then it is broken in my opinion (MetaKnight in vBrawl). If a character has good match-ups, and bad ones, then i consider it balanced. For example Marth in vBrawl is pretty balanced. Jin is obviously way to powerfull, i'd even find it sad for MetaKnight to be treated like that lol. Jin should get toned down, i mean a freezing thing on like half his moves is too much. SideB spam with Jin anyone?
SideB isn't spammable, and can be severely punished due to where it places Jin, above his opponent. Jin shares some of the same weaknesses as Marth and still has bad match-ups. He's top tier stuff for sure, but he can be put to rest. Final Destination is still a bad stage for him, if not worse, due to the limitations it puts on SideB.

My only critique on Jin is that the creator slow him down a bit and remove those ice effects, while running, landing, etc.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Yes but i think you should base a Character to be a mid tier at the very least, instead of making him Top Tier already. And it's weird why he's put in a bad advantage, he's half ice he can't move, you have the time to run follow up, etc. But really that's my opinion.

Fusion_Blastoise

Smash Cadet
Yes but i think you should base a Character to be a mid tier at the very least, instead of making him Top Tier already. And it's weird why he's put in a bad advantage, he's half ice he can't move, you have the time to run follow up, etc. But really that's my opinion.
When you say at the very least, it tends to give the impression you think characters should be stronger then mid tier :/

As for balancing characters, I think that we should really balance them with vBrawl. By doing this we are insuring that they are not only balanced within themselves, but with the entire cast.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
The idea is that you should try to make your character "mid-tier" and let the metagame develop and determine whether or not your character is better or worse than that.
-DD

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I agree with both of you. Mewtwo seems to fair well against the other PSA characters I have, despite his high learning curve and funky moveset. I lurve his Spirit Bomb charging. I was thinking he should shoot Shadow Ball downward, when airborne. : p

When I get to a PC, instead of using IB on the Wii, I'll edit my OP and insert PSA characters recommended for Mugen Brawl.

I know there's going to be a big fuss over Roy and Jin replacing Marth.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
[Double Post] An edit has been made to the OP. [/Double Post]

We need support and ideas so please offer up the best you can think of. This will work.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Good ol' plain ol' Brawl.

Melee/Brawl+ is doing their own balancing. We want to balance Brawl with the characters we put into it.

Are you for or against?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
...You do know what my colored name represents right?

:V

I still give my support to this project though.

Also, who's balancing Melee? <_<

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
...You do know what my colored name represents right?

:V

I still give my support to this project though.

Also, who's balancing Melee? <_<
Other than you're a premium member... possibly a moderator...? No, I don't.

And about balancing "Melee" it was behind Brawl+, like you had it, because I thought you felt that Brawl+ = Melee 2, but we won't go into that, since this is about SSBMB.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof

And about balancing "Melee" it was behind Brawl+, like you had it, because I thought you felt that Brawl+ = Melee 2, but we won't go into that, since this is about SSBMB.
...Oh gods. Do you realize how wrong you are?

Neko is back of the Workshop Back Room. He's one of the members who WORKS ON BRAWL+. Of course he's not against it.

I'd much prefer this project to be based on Brawl+, not Brawl. Characters are more interesting when there's hitstun involved.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko

Oh. Hahaha. My color means I'm in WBR, which is Workshop Backroom ie Guys who do B+.

I assumed most people in the workshop knew by now.

But regardless, this is a project that will replace all the characters, so maybe they might work in the style of Brawl. Who knows. V:

EDIT: Ninja'd lolwut

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I'd much prefer this project to be based on Brawl+, not Brawl. Characters are more interesting when there's hitstun involved.
Well, basing in vBrawl will actually allow us to inspect if a PSA character is already a combo machine. Metaknight has combos out the wazoo in vBrawl, hence the reason he's hated so much, and the fact he lags less then others. Converting to Brawl+ once we have a roster is a possibility, but I don't want be the only one running the show, so I suppose we can vote on which one we want to start in.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Wacky characters where all of them have unique abilities + fast paced combat + combos = BlazBlu---err...This project with a B+ based engine.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Wacky characters where all of them have unique abilities + fast paced combat + combos = BlazBlu---err...This project with a B+ based engine.
Sounds good... my only problem with B+ is the darn no sweetspotted ledges. That kinda takes away what is Brawl in the first place. Everything else about B+ I like.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Erm...My Mewtwo is balanced for Brawl+...just sayin'.

>_> and Brawl is a lot more than sweet-spotted ledges, rofl.

No..wait..*refers to Planking*.

Nevermind.

-DD

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Personally. I do think this project should work with both engines. <_<

The thing that we need to figure out is where should we start. :V

that and PSA characters are balanced for different engines. lol.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
We could start by making a chat where people, interested in this project, can talk about how to work things out, and we can post key information here.

I prefer someone with more experience in PSA than myself make it.

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
My Kyzon has been balanced for B+ and my next character will probably be too.. but i agree we should take a vote on which engine to start on..
then after thats done we can convert to another one if the demand is there

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
All right, well do you guys want to send PMs to the person taking the votes, or do you want to just post your vote, and let it be known?(which is easier...)

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
It took three minutes.

You should put it in the OP, though. And mention it in the topic title.

dessert fox5

Smash Cadet
Question: What is going to be the overall feel of this? Are you going for intense/awesome/over the top epic fighters, the wacky ones, or a combination of the two? I mean, when it's ready, sure, I will try it, but having too many wacky and less awesome would ruin it for me long-term. I'm still trying to break in here, so if you need beta testing, I'm here.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Question: What is going to be the overall feel of this? Are you going for intense/awesome/over the top epic fighters, the wacky ones, or a combination of the two? I mean, when it's ready, sure, I will try it, but having too many wacky and less awesome would ruin it for me long-term. I'm still trying to break in here, so if you need beta testing, I'm here.
We're aiming for Mugen, which means all of the above. Wario is wacky, yet awesome, so the way you see each of the PSA's voted on is up to you. I don't think that the characters that are supposed to be epic/awesome/normal are going to be outnumbered by the more wacky/cartoony/loony characters. It's just how they're made.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Uhh, i like all names XDD. Anyway, i tried Geno out, and he looks pretty balanced. He's a little akward to play with, which is kinda good actually. My friend pwns me with him, while i can't play Geno at all. So yeah. I'm gonna try out the newest Jin, and see how that goes.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
much better.

I still like super mugen bros brawl tho
lol, I suppose we could vote on that too. It's not like it's all permanent. We need to be in agreement with this. GHNeko came up with the name, so most credit goes to him, for the name.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
FLASH= a faster and weaker CF.
Funky Kong= a faster and weaker DK.
Bowser JR.= Squirtle with fire instead of water attacks.
Chaotzu= a faster and stronger Ness.
Ichigo= a faster and weaker Ike.
Jimmy Neutron= Lucas LOL.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
FLASH= a faster and weaker CF.
Funky Kong= a faster and weaker DK.
Bowser JR.= Squirtle with fire instead of water attacks.
Chaotzu= a faster and stronger Ness.
Ichigo= a faster and weaker Ike.
Jimmy Neutron= Lucas LOL.
Try the Hulk for Donkey Kong.

The rest sound good to me.

Phoenix Luigi should be made to compliment Phoenix Mario.

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
squirtle should be Blastoise imo.. since thats what i'm doing when we can edit PT anyways :)

Sr. P & R

Smash Apprentice
Does the Melee G&W happen to be mine?

If it is, it is somewhat overpowered, it was never really meant to be balanced. I guess I could try to balance it a little if needed.

Fusion_Blastoise

Smash Cadet
Wait, which engine are we using? Is that what the poll is about? If we're using the vBrawl engine, balancing to Brawl + seems really stupid.

Also, wasn't there talk of maybe using BBrawl as a basis? Considering it's you know... more balanced?

Meanwhile, pheonix Luigi? The only problem with that is that the Mario bros had a distinct elemental difference in games. There is a lighting Luigi going around that I might suggest... it's not doing too badly (although I think it's broken)

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Wait, which engine are we using? Is that what the poll is about? If we're using the vBrawl engine, balancing to Brawl + seems really stupid.

Also, wasn't there talk of maybe using BBrawl as a basis? Considering it's you know... more balanced?

Meanwhile, pheonix Luigi? The only problem with that is that the Mario bros had a distinct elemental difference in games. There is a lighting Luigi going around that I might suggest... it's not doing too badly (although I think it's broken)
The poll is indeed for choosing a base to make the characters for, although I think that if a character is made for Brawl, they'll transfer to Brawl+ with a few changes needed, to keep them balanced with the cast. Naturally, the game won't be balanced off the top, anyway. That's how it is with every game, although every game hasn't been hacked to this extreme before, according to my knowledge.

Okay, so Lightning Luigi it is then. I would suggest making a new Lightning Luigi, so that we don't bother the original creators project, unless they want to join this and tone him down, and make a better moveset for him.

Fusion_Blastoise

Smash Cadet
The poll is indeed for choosing a base to make the characters for, although I think that if a character is made for Brawl, they'll transfer to Brawl+ with a few changes needed, to keep them balanced with the cast. Naturally, the game won't be balanced off the top, anyway. That's how it is with every game, although every game hasn't been hacked to this extreme before, according to my knowledge.

Okay, so Lightning Luigi it is then. I would suggest making a new Lightning Luigi, so that we don't bother the original creators project, unless they want to join this and tone him down, and make a better moveset for him.
Hmm... yeah, point taken.

As for lightning Luigi, my PSA sills are sheit at best so I don't thin I'll be able to help too much on that front... :S

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Hmm... yeah, point taken.

As for lightning Luigi, my PSA sills are sheit at best so I don't thin I'll be able to help too much on that front... :S
My skills are pretty bad too, plus I'm not able to use PSA on a daily basis, so I don't have the patience for it, since I don't use it often. I'm just great with ideas for characters. I have some understanding of PSA, so it does help get my idea across better, to those creating characters for Mugen Brawl.

Top Bottom