• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I think we all knew it was the "bad" controller. Whoever was stuck with it was at a disadvantage against people who used the other controllers. Mostly because...
You know.
Not all of us have the money to go get a Gamecube controller at a minutes' notice you know.

Sure, it wasn't great. But IMo it's better to at least have the option rather than cutting it.
It's like cutting Tap Jump. Is it the best? That's debatable. But there's a reason why it's there.
Much like the Wiimote.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Bad or not, the solo Wii Remote option should stick around in the dilemma that your controller arsenal is lacking. Of course, the button command options may need some work.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
A few of my fellow NintendoLife brethren has been discussing what the length of the Direct might be. This was my response:

First off, Sakurai gave notice a few days in advance of this Direct. Iirc, every Direct has been announced the day before it airs, so that alone is special.

Secondly, unlike Pikmin 3/Wonderful 101, this is for a top tier game, so things are likely to be higher profile.

Thirdly, not a single new character (veteran or newcomer) was shown last month, aka Sakurai's been saving up.

Finally, this is probably the last Direct before E3, so they'll undoubtedly bring some hype to tide us over.

To conclude, everything points to more then a little 20 minute show.
We're giving the games tier lists now?

Last edited:

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
It can be nice being in the military.

-Tells lower enlisted to clean the barracks and make it spotless as I close the office door and watch the direct.-

It reminds me of back when I was in basic training... cleaning the barracks and hearing my Drill Sgt. playing video games behind his closed office door next to my bunk. Bwahahaha.

I'm excited for this Nintendo Direct, needless to say. Just when I was wondering what it would take to get me some hype.

Then suddenly... the direct was announced. Gleefully I located the inevitable thread created.

Opening it up and reading I was

Can't wait to see what they have in store for us. I'll be glad if it breaks 20 mins in length.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I may get flak for saying this but I hope Sakurai deconfirms Wii Remote only as a control option. It was so horrible, it was impossible to do up tilts without jumping first and my finger had a hard time reaching the B button to shield.

The only control options I want are GamePad, Pro Controller, Wii Remote + Nunchuk, and Classic Controller Pro. Though really, I'd be happy with just the first two.
Can't go wrong with an NES styled controller IMO. It doesn't hurt anything, so I'd say keep it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Can't go wrong with an NES styled controller IMO. It doesn't hurt anything, so I'd say keep it.
With the amount of attack commands that exist, however, one would think otherwise. You can't do a u-tilt without accidentally jumping/shielding/grabbing first.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
What do you guys think we'll see tomorrow PotD wise? Possibly another item/assist trophy and a reminder to mark April 8th on our calendars?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Is it weird that while I definitely enjoy the Gamecube setup, that I also enjoy the Wiimote+Nunchuk? Both just click with me.

But this really doesn't have anything to do with hype, so I'd say chance the subject.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Tomorrow and Tuesday's pictures will probably add some coal to the Hype Train's engine.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What do you guys think we'll see tomorrow PotD wise? Possibly another item/assist trophy and a reminder to mark April 8th on our calendars?
I doubt it'll be an AT considering the last pic we got.

My guess is something people will get hyped for then gloss over immediately once it updates due to insatiability for the day following.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
With the amount of attack commands that exist, however, one would think otherwise. You can't do a u-tilt without accidentally jumping/shielding/grabbing first.
Not that I disagree, but I was more referring to the charm of it's simplicity and nostalgia.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Aside from my, uh, controversial desire :troll:, I'd also like to see Sakurai detail the music in the game. Will we be able to add our own music? How many Brawl, Melee, and even Smash 64 tracks are gonna return? What's the ratio between remixes and direct music rios gonna be?

Man I wanna add my own music. Without hacking, too. Like, you get an MP3 file on the SD card, the game reads it, and you can choose how loud it is and where the track loops.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I doubt it'll be an AT considering the last pic we got.

My guess is something people will get hyped for then gloss over immediately once it updates due to insatiability for the day following.
Yeah you right on the item front, Sakurai has been showing off quite a bit of the item selection. Maybe he'll bring up something like a new mechanic or stage and show it off in video form for tne Direct.

Though when I think about it, Sakurai has been known to post ''filler'' posts on the eve of Directs. Showing things like Peach's rainbow taunt/move or comparing characters heights.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah you right on the item front, Sakurai has been showing off quite a bit of the item selection. Maybe he'll bring up something like a new mechanic or stage and show it off in video form for tne Direct.

Though when I think about it, Sakurai has been known to post ''filler'' posts on the eve of Directs. Showing things like Peach's rainbow taunt/move or comparing characters heights.
Well whatever it is, I doubt Sakurai will pass up the opportunity to remind people about the Direct.

I don't have any great expectations, the Direct will more than make up for any lousy pics we might get beforehand.

I'm not. Just saying things don't need to be so tightly nit, feel me? This ain't fort nox.
You call suggesting the conversation being moved to a more appropriate place "tightly nit"? That's not tightly nit.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Shouldn't the pic of the day predictions belong in the Miiverse thread?
I was only bringing up Monday and Tuesday's PotD, because they will be related to the direct as they will be leading up to the big direct. I was just wondering with the news of the direct, what we think we could expect to see. It seemed like a related topic.

@ N3ON N3ON ''...the Direct will more than make up for any lousy pics we might get beforehand.''
Oh, fo sho! I Just wanted to see what others are expecting for the two days is all.

Last edited:
You call suggesting the conversation being moved to a more appropriate place "tightly nit"? That's not tightly nit.
Well only 2 people said anything, before it was "suggested" the conversation be moved else ware. Just saying. It's no surprise that this forum takes itself way too seriously

Whatever man, do what you gotta do.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well only 2 people said anything, before it was "suggested" the conversation be moved else ware. Just saying. It's no surprise that this forum takes itself way too seriously

Whatever man, do what you gotta do.
It's just a preemptive warning in case it derails the topic. That's all.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Do we usually get the length of the direct before it airs, or do we just have to wait and see how long it is?

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
Wii U Pro Controller will make for a suitable replacement for the Gamecube controller, but there's adapters you can get on Amazon that let you use GC controllers anyway.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Do we usually get the length of the direct before it airs, or do we just have to wait and see how long it is?
The length of a Nintendo Direct is never shown before hand, though normally a global Nintendo Direct is at least 30 minutes. More minor ones are shorter, like about 15 minutes.

Top Bottom