• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
[collapse=Fun with a giant purple space di...]

Slightly under twice the height
So, Bowser is actually tiny in all his Boss appearances? I still don't buy this 'official size' thing. It doesn't change that Bowser is almost Always a gaint, both Before and after that. The 'too big' argument has been debunked countless of times already, so there's really nothing more to say.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I'm honestly a bit surprised at how under-represented Star Fox is currently. We've seen Fox, and only recently Andross, other than that the franchise has pretty much been ignored thus far. Of course there'll be stages and at least Falco, but it's a bit surprising how little we've seen from it thus far.
Yeah. Kirby and Donkey Kong have also been shafted a bit aside from characters. Mother has it the worst, though. Two characters in Brawl and yet not even one of them has been announced yet. That's crazy.

I sort of feel like Falco should be a starting character at this point.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
So, Bowser is actually tiny in all his Boss appearances? I still don't buy this 'official size' thing. It doesn't change that Bowser is almost Always a gaint, both Before and after that. The 'too big' argument has been debunked countless of times already, so there's really nothing more to say.
Believe it or not, saying "I reject canon, and your argument is debunked/for poopy-faces" is not a valid argument.
can we stop talking about if Ridley is too big?

It hurts, man.
Hurts me too, but letting stupid arguments be the last word hurts more.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Yeah. Kirby and Donkey Kong have also been shafted a bit aside from characters. Mother has it the worst, though. Two characters in Brawl and yet not even one of them has been announced yet. That's crazy.

I sort of feel like Falco should be a starting character at this point.
Ness would be revealed later. Sakurai said Luigi wouldn't have been revealed before the release if the Year of Luigi weren't in place, so...

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Believe it or not, saying "I reject canon, and your argument is debunked/for poopy-faces" is not a valid argument.
And being a jerk for no reason gives me reason to not take what you say seriously. I've yet to see proof that that chart meant 'Bowser will Always be this size!'. pretty sure he's been much bigger than that is most/all of the main Mario games he's been in. That looks more like a chart showing the size of a particular spinoff.

But as I said, the Too-Big argument has been proven wrong for ages, and there's no reason to even talk about it anymore, so, yeah, on topic.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Hurts me too, but letting stupid arguments be the last word hurts more.
I really don't feel like arguing this today, but I really don't see the big deal about resizing him.

I think the size argument is something made by detractors, just like the blue hair thing, it really doesn't hold much merit. a more legitimate argument against Ridley would be he would be hard to program, and I really don't see that as an issue either.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Take the Ridley size talk back to the Ridley thread where it will be devoured and not bother us here.

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
It's gonna start with the Smash Logo being cut in half and lit on fire, like the rest of the trailers IMO.
that image of the Logo tends to get added after each Direct, like with the Rosalina trailer it wasn't part of it until it was posted online separately to avoid giving away the trolling nature of the Mario Kart sequence

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Take the Ridley size talk back to the Ridley thread where it will be devoured and not bother us here.
I don't think that's going to stop the argument from happening here. the best thing we can do is try to change the subject, that would help more than just asking them to stop.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Ridley is so big, his arguments reaches to all threads. :p

But you're right. Let's just hope he is revealed in the Direct~

So, Items and Stages. I honestly don't expect any new ones for either. I Think at most, the already revealed ones will be talked about slightly, while most will be about characters and Modes.

WIldBam

Smash Apprentice
For those arguing about Ridley. His size doesn't even matter, you can bring up all the arguments that you want from the game series he's from to justify whether he,s too big or not due to the relative size he has in comparison to Samus in the metroid Canon but guess what! It's all a moot point! Smash bros. is not a canon game and doesn't need to be canon! So these arguments are dumb, on both sides. If Sakurai wants him in the game as a playable character, then I think he has the creative liberty to just make Ridley smaller if he really wants to, there would be no stopping him from doing so. It's that simple, fictional characters don't have to follow their canon relative sizes especially in something that is not canon.

You know what would be a better premise for the argument that Ridley is not playable? The likelihood that he's what causes the big hole in the metroid stage. But even then we don't have enough evidence to have a conclusive argument for that.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
And being a jerk for no reason gives me reason to not take what you say seriously. I've yet to see proof that that chart meant 'Bowser will Always be this size!'. pretty sure he's been much bigger than that is most/all of the main Mario games he's been in. That looks more like a chart showing the size of a particular spinoff.

But as I said, the Too-Big argument has been proven wrong for ages, and there's no reason to even talk about it anymore, so, yeah, on topic.
Yes, I am such a big meany. You caught me.
Bowser is actually that size in every Mario Spin-off (except for some Mario Parties) and thereabout in the original Mario games.
[collapse=Bowser's Outside Story]

[/collapse]
For a number of reasons, his size is really inconsistent. However, I am willing to accept the "canon" height because it is consistent with his original appearance and in most spin-offs.
Compare this to Ridley, whose smallest appearance has, by my understanding, been retcon'd to be much larger in the remake.

And again, saying "your argument has been debunked" is simply not valid, as that's not how this type of argument works.
You know what would be a better premise for the argument that Ridley is not playable? The likelihood that he's what causes the big hole in the metroid stage. But even then we don't have enough evidence to have a conclusive argument for that.
This brings up an interesting point. How was the hole made, exactly? Did he just fly through a wall, or was there some explosion, and he waltzed through after?
It might not seem important, but if it's the former, it would reflect directly on Ridley's size.
Imagine a Mario 64 stage with massive Bowser footprints in the background, how would that make sense?

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I really don't feel like arguing this today, but I really don't see the big deal about resizing him.

I think the size argument is something made by detractors, just like the blue hair thing, it really doesn't hold much merit. a more legitimate argument against Ridley would be he would be hard to program, and I really don't see that as an issue either.
Yeah, one of the only conceivable things I can see for Ridley is that he might have an awkward form. It's not about his size, but his build, since he's so irregular. But you know what? That's a whole bunch of crap too, and would really come down to them not even trying because it's already been done successfully before.

Blue hair though just makes me laugh. If we had Chrom and Takamaru, four characters would have blue hair including Ike and Marth. 4 out of likely 48-52. Especially when the reason for blue hair in the first place I believe is it's a color of youth, and most of them FE protagonists, not the least of which Chrom and Ike are young and hotheaded. Takamaru also was an apprentice Samurai. I don't see the problem with blue hair.

Remember that swords get the same stigma too, sometimes to a greater degree. That bugs me more, because with all the characters in Brawl, which was 39, we had 5 sword users. 5. Out of 39. And Nintendo is a company that puts lots of emphasis on sword-wielding protagonists.

If we get Chrom, Takamaru, Shulk, hell, even have Ganondorf revamped in Sm4sh, we'd have 9 out of...48-52. That sounds about right, and I don't expect Ganon to be revamped THAT much. So 7-8. Not really seeing the problem here.

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
Not touching the Ridley discussion...

Personally, the only thing I'm expecting is a newcomer. I think at least one newcomer is guaranteed. Anything else is pretty much up in the air. I wouldn't mind seeing a few veterans get confirmed, too. I'm hoping Sakurai will cover the new gameplay mechanics and talk about the mysterious custimizations and the interactivity between the 3DS and Wii U. I'm expecting a 20 minute Direct at the most.

I'd also really like to see Mewtwo, personally! Don't think he'll show, but here's hoping! Made this in support:

Wanted to use it as an avatar, but I guess I'll just stick it in my sig.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
@ MopedOfJustice MopedOfJustice
Just check the Ridley thread for a few minutes and you should know that there's literally nothing against Ridley being in the game for so many reasons.
Also, you don't HAVE to sound like you're mocking me for pointing obivious things out, you know. Either way, as said, this is NOT the Place to talk about this on.

On topic.

@BillyTheKidd
No matter if it's Ridley, PacMan, Shulk or King K. Rool, yeah, there will be a lot of b!**hing about it, lol.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Yeah, one of the only conceivable things I can see for Ridley is that he might have an awkward form. It's not about his size, but his build, since he's so irregular. But you know what? That's a whole bunch of crap too, and would really come down to them not even trying because it's already been done successfully before.

Blue hair though just makes me laugh. If we had Chrom and Takamaru, four characters would have blue hair including Ike and Marth. 4 out of likely 48-52. Especially when the reason for blue hair in the first place I believe is it's a color of youth, and most of them FE protagonists, not the least of which Chrom and Ike are young and hotheaded. Takamaru also was an apprentice Samurai. I don't see the problem with blue hair.

Remember that swords get the same stigma too, sometimes to a greater degree. That bugs me more, because with all the characters in Brawl, which was 39, we had 5 sword users. 5. Out of 39. And Nintendo is a company that puts lots of emphasis on sword-wielding protagonists.

If we get Chrom, Takamaru, Shulk, hell, even have Ganondorf revamped in Sm4sh, we'd have 9 out of...48-52. That sounds about right, and I don't expect Ganon to be revamped THAT much. So 7-8. Not really seeing the problem here.
I for one, Welcome a Gigantic ass Ridley, for the sole reason that it would be hilarious as well as fearsome.

I had no idea Takumaru had blue hair, but like you said, Blue hair is no reason to cut a character. (We have too many brown haired bare hands fighters! Cut mario, luigi, and donkey kong!)

Any stigma against a character getting in is often unfounded and uncreative, it all comes down to whether or not Sakurai thinks this character would bring something unique to the table. (or whatever else gets a character in.)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
As a thought to those who are debating about skipping school/work, before you go do things in real life, leave you computer on Nintendo's Youtube page before you leave so that when you get back you can watch the Direct immediately without fear of spoilers.

As a moderator who has to stick around through the Direct, I can safely say that it's going to be a mess with no real discussion going on. You're not going to miss anything by not joining on the "Watch the Direct Live" Train. If anything, one may enjoy all the new news without threat of distraction or lag.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
What if we got a veteran tonight or Monday night? I think if that did happen they would almost certainly be in a newcomers trailer for the direct. Since previously only revealed characters have been present in those anyway.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Box Art? I really hope the'll show it, and it ends up with some very Epic piece of art. I love Braw's Box, so I have high expectations for this one. ^^ I just hope the versions will have different arts.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thing I'd like but it won't happen is for the intro to be shown. I think we'd have to get some more newcomers for that.

StreetPassWanter

Smash Apprentice
The thing in, he always varies in size. Ridley has never changed size (and when he has, it was retconned). I don't know, this is a cycle of arguments that'll never end. We should just keep our opinions, because we'll never stop arguing if we don't.

Staarih

Smash Master
Soo, I'm just about to go to bed, then tomorrow it's Monday which will go fast at work, then Tuesday which will likewise go fast at work and then it's time for the Direct here where I'm at... not long to go, I can do this! Patience is a virtue!

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
wow I thought these bingo cards were a list of expectations.

I was gonna say, come back to planet earth lol

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Even though the Ridley too big argument has been proven wrong for the longest time, I still use it as a joke and intentionally trolling as I like the feedback I get from it.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
My predictions:

-1 Newcomer
-Main focus is on the various modes and mechanics
-Some final smashes
-1 vet revealed
-End it off with a release month for the games, Wii U version released one month earlier.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
The thing in, he always varies in size. Ridley has never changed size (and when he has, it was retconned). I don't know, this is a cycle of arguments that'll never end. We should just keep our opinions, because we'll never stop arguing if we don't.
I was going to avoid this "argument" like the plague, but then I saw your post. What the hell are you saying, of course his size has been wildly inconsistent in each game!

Hell, in Metroid Prime 3 Corruption the developers didn't give a damn about how large he is. For example, when he's Meta Ridley he's large enough to have Samus fit in his mouth.
Meta_Ridley_mp3_Screenshot.jpg

...And then later on, in the same game I repeat, he's suddenly small enough to the point where he would choke if he even tried to eat Samus's upper body whole.
Fight starts at 3:56

Glyphoscythe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphoscythe
3DS FC
0834-0985-0680
Hey what's going on in this thread?
*sees Ridley discussion*
NOPE.

Anyway, looking forward to the direct is going to help power me through work on Tuesday. Actually might just wait until it's done streaming and watch the uploaded video on youtube. Last time I tried watching the stream and it was terrible. I can wait another 20 minutes.

Top Bottom