• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe you guys who are posting the sonic music forgot You Can Do Anything/Toot Toot Sonic Warrior!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This would be great if Sakurai did a Q&A. Everyone is gonna be watching this Direct, but not everyone knows about his calcific tendinitis and the daily pain he goes through developing this game. It would get the word out and make people more appreciative of him.
Maybe if Sakurai stopped reenacting Falcon Punches and started using action figures to show the animators how Falcon Punches should be animated, his pain might eventually go away. :awesome:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Think so? This is the last Nintendo direct before E3 and before Iwata has to be voted in/out. Don't you think they'd want to bring their A game?
Mario Kart 8 is probably going to be their A Game this time. Its all up to the old racing to save Iwata

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I don't like the Sakurais New Years Resolution thing. It's not a good argument.

For example, my new years resolution could be to finish saving for a car, as I would put more of my time toward it without a certain time of completion in mind but with the prenotion that it is to be done within the coming year due to the fact that I've already made progress on my goal. It could simply mean that the goal for my year is this and I wish to devote more time and effort into it this year to account for last year and my habits of being a bit generous with my savings or squandering money that should have gone toward it.

It's just more assurance, and doesn't spell out a November release. I think it could be argued that because of this resolution, the game is coming out sooner, as Sakurai is pushing through the homestretch (I mean come on, the PoTD updates are amazing compared to 2013's).

Last edited:

Gonoji

Smash Cadet

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Think so? This is the last Nintendo direct before E3 and before Iwata has to be voted in/out. Don't you think they'd want to bring their A game?
the guy is assuming a lot just to get a bad guess at the release date.
-says directs happen bimonthly (not even true)
-assumes directs must only be about events/releases leading up to the next direct
-themed directs have aired with another more general direct airing weeks later (Pokemon Direct, where they announced XY, Wii U direct in the same month)
-drags sales argument in to make it seem like Smash is Iwata's last hope and therefore the release MUST be before voting (if you just think about how Iwata personally pushing Sakurai to release the game faster so he can maintain his position within Nintendo sounds it should become clear how BS that is)

it's a Smash Bros. direct, there's nothing to read into

Last edited:
I don't like the Sakurais New Years Resolution thing. It's not a good argument.

For example, my new years resolution could be to finish saving for a car, as I would put more of my time toward it without a certain time of completion in mind but with the prenotion that it is to be done within the coming year due to the fact that I've already made progress on my goal. It could simply mean that the goal for my year is this and I wish to devote more time and effort into it this year to account for last year and my habits of being a bit generous with my savings or squandering money that should have gone toward it.

It's just more assurance, and doesn't spell out a November release. I think it could be argued that because of this resolution, the game is coming out sooner, as Sakurai is pushing through the homestretch (I mean come on, the PoTD updates are amazing compared to 2013's).
I agree with this.

Y'all reading too deep into what Sakurai is saying.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I've been listening to the music from Network Transmission a lot recently. What a great soundtrack, I don't remember much about the game though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WYrhgc3vvA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_iAmVC5GJs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTxi7dArQyc
If I recall correctly, Network Transmission wasn't received particularly well, so you not remembering it might not be such a bad thing. It does contain the only reference to the X series(I think) in the whole BN franchise whoops, forgot about Colonel and Iris. Never played the BN games much myself. Cool music though.

Last edited:

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
-assumes directs must only be about events/releases leading up to the next direct
-themed directs have aired with another more general direct airing weeks later (Pokemon Direct, where they announced XY, Wii U direct in the same month)
-drags sales argument in to make it seem like Smash is Iwata's last hope and therefore the release MUST be before voting (if you just think about how Iwata personally pushing Sakurai to release the game faster so he can maintain his position within Nintendo sounds it should become clear how BS that is)

I'll somewhat side with you on that. If he wanted a more convincing argument, Wii U in general is in deep trouble and October starts the hype trains for PS4/XB1 releases, so it would be coming out sooner than expected. But I don't expect any time before August, because May interferes with Mario Kart, June is possible but interferes with E3 and nobody buys games in July.

If I recall correctly, Network Transmission wasn't received particularly well, so you not remembering it might not be such a bad thing. It does contain the only reference to the X series(I think) in the whole BN franchise whoops, forgot about Colonel and Iris. Never played the BN games much myself. Cool music though.
Man I ****ing loved Battle Network. 5 was my favorite.

Gonoji

Smash Cadet
Yeah, apparently the reviews were pretty average. My brother rented that game one weekend when it came out, and all I really remember was FireMan.EXE's theme. I've never been a Battle Network guy, just an X and classic Mega Man fan. Oh, these are some others too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYqzaCkMFsA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhJ7Ss-puVY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4fVnxtXAV8

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Man I ****ing loved Battle Network. 5 was my favorite.
Nothing against them myself, just never got around to playing more than the first one, which I lost interest in pretty quickly, though I've heard the first game isn't exactly the best. Did watch the TV show growing up.

So how about that Nintendo Direct

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
@ SpindaMaster SpindaMaster I can't look at you now without thinking of this.

Errrrbody in the club gettin' tipsy!

Sorry I couldn't help it.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Do you guys think we are getting something unexpected like say Diskun or another WTF character?
I mean we did kinda get this little character named Wii Fit Trainer. :p

Edit: For the Direct? Can't say. I mean expecting them kinda defeats the point of them being unexpected.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I mean we did kinda get this little character named Wii Fit Trainer. :p
I think he meant a retro WTF character... please let it be Duck Hunt Dog or I will continue my propaganda for the next seven years (SSB5). :seuss:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am serious. I started my Duck Hunt Dog propaganda in 2002... and it's finally picking up steam. I am very persistent in my goal to garner supporters... one supporter at a time. ;)

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I think he meant a retro WTF character... please let it be Duck Hunt Dog or I will continue my propaganda for the next seven years (SSB5). :seuss:
Darn you, you almost made me want Duck Hunt Dog in Smash after having read this for a split second. :troll:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
hahahaha no.
Short joke post ehh... :troll:
Eat your words if he gets revealed. :troll:

I am serious. I started my Duck Hunt Dog propaganda in 2002... and it's finally picking up steam. I am very persistent in my goal to garner supporters... one supporter at a time. ;)
Duck Hunt Dog reveal would be the one of the best reveals ever, period.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
why do we need a "Retro WTF" character? we already have a WTF character in WFT, even has the same letters. All we need is a Retro character, and personally I'd like Takamaru or even Lip as SSB4's retro character.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
The Koopalings are all their own characters, with their own personalities and designs. Not to mention that they're villains, and fun, unique ones at that.

Metal Mario is literally a retexture with a stupid effect put on his sound files. One that hasn't been relevant since the ****in' Nintendo 64 days. The game is already full of stupid Baby clones. We don't need one that doesn't even have his own model and voice clips.

You people are ****ing insane. How the hell are the Koopalings a letdown? They're unique, iconic characters with tons of history in the Mario franchise. If you want to be mad at characters, be mad at **** like Baby Daisy.

---

I took the Koopalings as a sign that the roster slots were going to go to characters that mattered. Characters that actually had substance and history with the franchise. They gave me hope that the roster was going to be big enough to support characters from the Luigi's Mansion and WarioWare/Land spin-offs, too. Metal Mario's shown that they're just going the same-old "throw everything and the kitchen sink in, no matter how irrelevant or pointless it is".

Ugh.
Whats worse all these chars are in and not Kamek....even though he was in the MK64 Beta instead of DK but yh DK deserves it more so it was the right choice im happy shy guy is back i mainly like heavy weight but MK seems to be domintaed by lightweights if u care to win online competivly and no lightweighys appealed to me before Shy Guy i love Shy Guy expecialy Mario Party 4 Cowboy Shy Guy

Man Kamek in MK8 would hype me soo much and plz bring boo back as a item.....

Had to vent some MK stuff :)

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Still...
Wouldn't it just make more sense to hold it off till Fall?
And then make E3 the "Grand Finale"?
E3 is after the board of directors would be voted on.

(that guy's me)
Yes, full Directs happen bimonthly. Not on any specific day, but they always (or at least thus far?) happened once every two months.

Your last point is pretty valid though. This isn't a full Nintendo Direct (or console one), but a themed one.

Not to speculate on higher-ups going ons, but Iwata's job is indoubtedly to save his own ass and bring his strongest stuff to the front over the next couple months. He does have limited time and he is also in charge of Nintendo. I think it's reasonable to say that he is able to call the shots there and put pressure where he likes... imo we are likely to get a release date if nothing else. Think about older themed directs up to now, there's never been one that didn't have a release imminent.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I'm hoping it's another WFT situation - something our online culture is predominantly thought to censor out of our thought process. Seriously, we try and think we know what a WTF character is but we seriously can't determine one, hence G&W, ROB and WFT. Our way of thinking causes us to not think outside the box.

So, with that, this Smash Bros will have a Smash Exclusive character as a total tribute to Nintendo. Just a theory, probably an endgame type of boss.

Top Bottom