• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
With transformations out, that means Sheik, Zamus and Charizard take up a full spot on the roster. With the inclusion of Ganon that brings Zelda reps to five (I can't imagine them going higher) and Metroid reps to two. I'm guessing Jigglypuff and Mewtwo will round out the Pokemon representation to a healthy six.

I wish Sakurai had time to highlight all the veterans a little (there was little Peach love) but overall a great direct. Sucks Olimar got (seemingly) nerfed. Good to see Yoshi back and looking pretty great in HD.

I honestly don't know what to think of Greninja. Another unexpected choice. Definitely the most iffy newcomer for me. I can't get over how his tongue is wrapped around his face.

Also what does everyone think of Lucario and Charizard's mega evolutions? Sakurai didn't explain the mechanic. They don't seem to be a FS.
As an Olimar user, I'd gladly trade three Pikmin for a much needed, and much improved recover. I wonder if the Pikmin Order move will be changed now too - seems unnecessary with only three Pikmin.

I also thought that the Mega Evo's didn't look like FS's. Seeing Mega Lucario in action, all that seemed to change was the his Aura was maxed. Unless they're FS's that last until KOed. Or, they activate when your percentage gets high, as like a final trump card. It's hard to say - but both needed new FS's anyway, as Lucario's wasn't canon and Charizard lost his buddies.

What's everyone's opinion on Pokemon Trainer still being playable, but this time he actually fights himself?

GreenMunchkin

Smash Apprentice
I was sad Lyn was confirmed to be an assist trophy, confused (NOTE: not unhappy) Greninja is in, and happy as all hell Miis aren't going to be a character. Overall, an interesting direct. I expected more than 1 newcomer, but since several veterans were confirmed I can't gripe about that too much.

Shroob

Sup?
I just noticed, we have Warioware and F-Zero indirectly confirmed via their assist trophies, but Mother is still missing. Strange.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Finally I can post on Crashboards...

Come on, admit it, he got you good with the pretend ZSS won't be in this Smash Bros comment.

Then again with the Ridley trolling and the shadow floating above...(I honestly think he's still playable because Sakurai didn't outright say "Ridley is a boss". No I don't care if he's playable or not.)

The whole Palutena fakeout with the trophy was great. That and the change in Pit's FS, and the leak, Palutena is 99% in.

And he got me once more with the fake Mewtwo reveal...turning out to be Greninja (I'm psyched for him, best XY pokemon, gives gen 6 rep, as long as Mewtwo DOES return.) Along with Charizard solo and hopefully cutting Squirtle and Ivysaur, perfect Pokemon roster right there.

Oh, and I'm SUPER happy 3DS game is being released first :D :D :D. I'm not getting a WiiU so I don't have to spoil the roster for myself while waiting for the 3DS version, woohoo! I know, WiiU needs the early release date and all, but...I'm selfish.

( Glory mode friggin rocks. Wish there was platforms, but I'll manage. Or not cause my main Luigi needs em platforms...)

Speaking of which, Luigi's down B was confirmed as tornado. So yes, Poltergust is 100% is FS, no trolling there.

Custom movesets look fun.

Megaman's Final Smash looks great! I wanted Megaman X in this game more than Megaman, so I'm glad to see him in some form.

Obviously, more alternative costumes will be in.

I grinned ear to ear seeing the Pong assist trophy.

Die Yoshi jokes.

No more transformations is a great move.

Hoping Miis will be used as online avatars instead of playable...although I'm probably still wrong.

Giving the trolling Sakurai did with the characters, I think Palutena, Ridley, and Mewtwo will be E3 reveals.

This was an amazing direct.This game looks brilliant. My only complaint is I am slightly uneasy about Mewtwo, but I'm hoping my theory about the E3 reveals holds strong.

Thoughts?

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Also if we assume Ivysaur and Squirtle are gone and treat that as two cuts we can remain with 6 Pokemon (a full team in that series of games too) if both Jiggs and Mewtwo return.
I bet that'll be an event match. Fighting a full party of Pokemon.

Greninja has two signature moves, did we see any sign of the other one?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
My last GIF, haha. I just love how beautiful this stage is.
it's not even a newly announced thing but I seriously love the launch effect when you get hit hard...

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Along with Charizard solo and hopefully cutting Squirtle and Ivysaur, perfect Pokemon roster right there.
Thoughts?
I agree with all you said except the above two, which kind of tie-in together. But we're all different!

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Steel Diver and Sin and Punishment don't have their own series symbols -- just the Smash Bros logo. I guess that means they won't get stages.

I'm still hoping they put in the main theme for Steel Diver as a track somewhere, even if it doesn't get a stage.

Loving that Balloon Fight stage. It's about time it got some love.

Curious as to why Waluigi had his series symbol changed from the Mario series to the Wario series...despite not appearing in any Wario Land or Wario Ware games. I mean, I guess it fits since he has an association with Wario, and I kinda wanted him to use the Wario symbol too, but...

-----

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
The Final Message from Hype Lord Ganondorf, and his Hypeforce of Power:

He will return. When the hype of the gamers rises, he will reveal himself and bring the Untold Hype, only spoken of in prophecy.

On a side note, he was personally impressed by the Direct himself. He gave it a thumbs up.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
My turn:
  • I now feel like Palutena, Ridley, and K. Rool now have a MUCH greater chance thanks to this Direct. I lost some hope for the Miis, because one was shown in the cage of the Find Mii stage.
  • Loving the Ballon Fight/ Super Retro stage, along with the Pong Assist trophy.
  • Greninja? Well, ok I guess thats fine....
  • Alternate costumes? Yes thank you, gimme some Dr. Mario.
  • For Fun and For Glory. It sounds like a very promising concept for those who want competitive Smash and for casual players.
  • Smash Run looks absolutely amazing, it looks like a nice substitute for the lost SSE
  • Beam Sword and Fire Bar. Best weapons.
  • Digging the effects of all the new assists, the Chomp being my favorite
  • Master Ball might be a bit unnecessary....
  • I like most item remodels
  • Wait, what is Eevee actually doing?
  • I like some of Olimars changes, Ill definitely give him a go.
  • Digging the framerate
  • I hate how the 3DS stages only get 2 music pieces, but its understandable.
  • Im honestly surprised at the release windows, but its too perfect for me
  • Yoshi and ZSS got some nice buffing
  • Pit will now be one of my mains
  • CUSTOMIZATION FOR MOVESETS?! GIMME!!!!
  • I think its possible for a 6th Mario rep now.....
  • Megamans Final Smash is boss
  • Bosses on stages is awesome
  • Every Final Destination is awesome, especially the legit one
  • Theres more, but I dont want to type anymore

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
There is a lot to say about this new info. I hope to give my thoughts sometime (not that anyone cares. Just have to toot my own horn). Hope to see more soon.

WIldBam

Smash Apprentice
Just want to put all my thoughts out here:

That was a great Direct, my only problems with it were that Ness and Captain Falcon weren't shown though they did have a cool theme going for most of the veteran shown that they were previously characters that could transform mid battle, however Yoshi was the reveal that felt out of place to me. Yoshi could have been revealed during the release of yoshi's island in NA, or wait until the Japan release date, while characters like Ness and Captain Falcon don't have any games that could correspond to their reveal so this direct was perfect for them or any other characters in their situation. Plus, their franchises have no one shown for them yet...

That was just a minor thing so I'm not too bothered by it, just saying I would have done it a bit differently.

I'm cool with the characters revealed, again I thought the theme for veterans was pretty cool, the trailer for Charizard and Greninja was cool too, I was pleased with that. Even though Shulk wasn't revealed I'm still happy to see this newcommer. Also, after the false palutena trophy I was certain she would be revealed like shortly after since that was the trophy they shown after they mentioned that they would discuss characters, but I suppose that wasn't the case. I still think she's in though.

The stages were really cool, I like the look of the new final destination, looks incredible. Palutena's temple looks great but I'm guessing Hyrule temple is not going to be in, since it looks pretty much like a bigger and more elaborate version of that, I could be wrong though. a bit disappointed since I was hoping that old stages would be purchasable in DLC packages and so we could have all the old stages, maybe they'll do that, but I doubt it now though.

Cool thing though, we're at 29 characters now, well more than half way through getting back the brawl roster and still have at most 4 months before the 3DS version releases!

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I think I just figured out what Ashley does.
The dark cloud she makes in the immediate foreground probably interferes with spot-dodges, either by blocking them or making the user take damage.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Does anyone have the pics and/or gifs of Pit in the thing? I'm mainly after his closeup of the Final Smash of his.
EDIT: Oh, and if that epic double kick was his improved U-tilt, oh boy. <3 <3 Seriously, that move and F-smash have cooler looks.

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I agree with all you said except the above two, which kind of tie-in together. But we're all different!
I mean, Squirtle and Ivysaur had decent movesets, but I'm hoping the Pokemon roster looks like this:

Pikachu
Greninja
Charizard
Lucario
Mewtwo*
Jigglypuff*

*Unlockable

I do not see Pokemon getting 8 reps so hence why I would want Squirtle and Ivysaur cut.

Heh, and I originally thought no one would be cut...this direct flipped me upside down.

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
Jesus there was a lot of deconfirmations today,

Goroh, Dark Samus, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Jigglypuff/Mewtwo, Zoroark, Saki, Lyn, Kalos or really any pokemon trainer, Meowth, Victini, Mew, Kamek, Midna/Wolf link, Pikmin 3 captain,
probably more

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Aside from Ridley's chances taking a nosedive and Squirtle and Ivysaur pretty much being dead in the water, there's so many good things to come out of this Direct:

-Captain Falcon's all but confirmed (Goroh's in)
-Metaknight's all but confirmed (Halberd returning)
-Palutena's all but confirmed (Which of the 42,000 hints would you like?)
-Ice Climbers are all but confirmed (all the other starters from Melee are back)
-K. Rool's chances got a huge spike (Kremlings are back)
-Mewtwo chances got a huge spike (Megaevolutions + Squirtle and Ivysaur biting the dust)
-Online is now actually playable
-Awesome assist trophies
-Fantastic Pokemon choices
-More great items
-Retro stages confirmed to return
-We'll know the full roster in a few months
-Megaman's final smash just about made me cry
-Everyone else's final smashes are pretty groovy too
-One of the most popular Pokemon from 6th gen is playable
-ZSS and Sheik are not cut

I could go on and on. What an unbelievable showing and it makes me all the more excited for E3.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Goroh, Dark Samus, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Jigglypuff/Mewtwo, Zoroark, Saki, Lyn, Kalos or really any pokemon trainer, Meowth, Victini, Mew, Kamek, Midna/Wolf link, Pikmin 3 captain,
probably more
Jiggs and/or Mewtwo are hardly deconfirmed.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice

probably more
Jigglypuff and Mewtwo don't belong on your list. There's still plenty of room for two more reps so with transformations out, Charizard showcased as the stand-alone and Greninja representing the new generation, competition for those two spots is slim against Jiggs and Mewtwo.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Well I can't keep up with this thread, but here's my two cents.

Ridley = Stage Hazard

No denying it now. I think my reaction was, why CAN'T you just make him playable?!!!!

Anyway, solo Charizard almost makes up for the lack of Ridley. I was hoping this would happen. My favorite mon always deserved to be his own character! While l'll miss Ivysaur, I always found Squirtle pretty generic.

Char-X and Mega Lucario were given, but its great to see them confirmed.

Greninja looks hilarious and awesome. I expected a 6th gen mon as a new character, an Greninja was up there at the top of my list of candidates. Good choice Sakuari.

Furthermore on the pokemon note, that brings us up to four. I believe we'll get five total, the same amount as Mario and Zelda characters. That slot will probably go to J-Puff. Sorry Mewtwo. But we gotta look forward. Not back.

Little Mac joins the Trainer in having an alt costume. Here's hoping even body gets one!

Great to see online is expanded and focus is being paid attention to the hard corp crowd. Love the multi final destinations.

Zero Suit Samus looks nice. And no Other M mole! :D

Midna and Dark Samus assist trophies are badass. I didn't really have hope for them being playable so it's nice to see them in some form.

Yoshi is cute as hell!

And I'll miss transformations and gliding in a way. But no biggie.

Speculating...
Still no Ganondorf leads me to hope he's reworked.

Palutena's as good as confirmed in my book.

All in all really amazing stuff!

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
-Mewtwo chances got a huge spike (Megaevolutions + Squirtle and Ivysaur biting the dust)
Funny, this is the first post I've read saying that Mewtwo's chances actually got better from this direct. Interesting Veeeeeery interesting.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
Funny, this is the first post I've read saying that Mewtwo's chances actually got better from this direct. Interesting Veeeeeery interesting.
Well just from a competition standpoint, PT being cut to just Charizard is good for everyone's chances, especially fellow Pokemon.

Thor

Smash Champion
We might just have enough flat stages now. Actually probably not.

Glory mode = chaingrabbing heaven. Or hell. But still looks awesome.

Still want Smashville back.

Sparkles on feet probably added to make keeping track of who KOs who in time mode easier so players can carefully choose who to gang up on (instead of not realizing Fox's blaster has 'stolen' 5 KOs).

Last edited:

ikemachine

Smash Apprentice
Finally I can post on Crashboards...

Come on, admit it, he got you good with the pretend ZSS won't be in this Smash Bros comment.

Then again with the Ridley trolling and the shadow floating above...(I honestly think he's still playable because Sakurai didn't outright say "Ridley is a boss". No I don't care if he's playable or not.)

The whole Palutena fakeout with the trophy was great. That and the change in Pit's FS, and the leak, Palutena is 99% in.

And he got me once more with the fake Mewtwo reveal...turning out to be Greninja (I'm psyched for him, best XY pokemon, gives gen 6 rep, as long as Mewtwo DOES return.) Along with Charizard solo and hopefully cutting Squirtle and Ivysaur, perfect Pokemon roster right there.

Oh, and I'm SUPER happy 3DS game is being released first :D :D :D. I'm not getting a WiiU so I don't have to spoil the roster for myself while waiting for the 3DS version, woohoo! I know, WiiU needs the early release date and all, but...I'm selfish.

( Glory mode friggin rocks. Wish there was platforms, but I'll manage. Or not cause my main Luigi needs em platforms...)

Speaking of which, Luigi's down B was confirmed as tornado. So yes, Poltergust is 100% is FS, no trolling there.

Custom movesets look fun.

Megaman's Final Smash looks great! I wanted Megaman X in this game more than Megaman, so I'm glad to see him in some form.

Obviously, more alternative costumes will be in.

I grinned ear to ear seeing the Pong assist trophy.

Die Yoshi jokes.

Hoping Miis will be used as online avatars instead of playable...although I'm probably still wrong.

Giving the trolling Sakurai did with the characters, I think Palutena, Ridley, and Mewtwo will be E3 reveals.

This was an amazing direct.This game looks brilliant. My only complaint is I am slightly uneasy about Mewtwo, but I'm hoping my theory about the E3 reveals holds strong.

Thoughts?
You forgot about the kremlings! This helps king k rool chances!

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Wait (Im not trying to peg on believers but...) if Meta Ridley was the Boss of Pyrosphere, and Ridley was playable, what sense would that make? Ridley fighting Meta Ridley seems a bit.... absurd. Just tossing in my two coins.

ZealRed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZealRed
3DS FC
5026-4454-7119
Has anybody pointed out what Sakurai-san said about ALMOST ALL the stages have a Final Destination form, the stages he showed were: Battlefield, Pyrosphere, Dr. Wily's Castle, and Mario Galaxy. So in For Glory mode(and it would not make sense to not put it on the regular set of rules when fighting) there won't be any stage hazards, no platforms, just plain stages to battle. It seems very good news for the competitive scene.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Technically Zelda now has 4 reps. If Pokemon and Mario get 6, which isn't thay unlikely anymore, Zelda could have 5. Not showing Tingle today amongst the returning ATs could be a huge hint, since he showed Skull Kid and Midna along with the rest of Brawls ATs. From that, Tingle and Isaac are now in with a huge chance.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Every day I wake up and check imgur for the new update. This morning I saw this news and accidentally yelled "Odin be praised" far too loud and woke the wife up.. oops

Hype levels at maximum. I asked my boss to get off early on Tuesday so I can see this live. I've watched other directs whilst working but I don't particularly care about most of the games they show and/or I am perfectly fine with just listening to the stuff, but this is Smash. I gotta see it live

As optimistic as I'm trying to be, I'm thinking Odin let me down a bit here.

Rargh gotta stay positive. GOOD STUFF existed in the Direct, hell even most of it was awesome.

[collapse="And yet..."]

[/collapse]

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
You forgot about the kremlings! This helps king k rool chances!
Oh yeah, Kremlings. They're cool. I guess I didn't notice much because while K Rool is...cool, he's not in my top wanted newcomers or anything. (Although he does deserve a spot over Dixie)

Also, I was flipping out over the face that there is ACTUALLY NINTENDO ENEMIES in the...kind of adventure mode now! So much better than SSE's enemy variation. Bulborbs and Kremlings and Chandlures OH MY!

link2702

Smash Champion
i was mostly disappointed by this direct....

for a few reasons....

ridley's chances were destroyed.....metroid needs more than 2 reps....and sakurai just shot down two of the best potential metroid newcomers, dark samus and ridley.

I HATE THE DESIGN OF FOR GLORY MODE, AS WELL AS THE WAY THEY SET UP ONLINE IN GENERAL. Anyone who's seen the kinds of idiots miiverse has as its moderators, knows why nintendo having moderators for smash matches is a horrible idea. People are going to be banned left and right just for outplaying their opponents due to some butthurt casual players who don't like being destroyed in matches. In nintendo's efforts to "stop taunt parties" they essentially took a chainsaw to something that needed a scalpel. And don't even get me started on the fact that "for glory mode" only has final destination as the only stage. Way to insult the entire competitive smash community sakurai. 99% of the people who picked strictly Final destination in brawl, were casual/non-competitive players to begin with.

of course one thing does intrigue me a bit....the custom movesets design...I feel like this will open up enough options for the competitive community to decide on a ruleset and individual moveset for each character, that helps to keep most of the cast in balance to some degree. Being able to customize certain moves will allow the community to find a setup that is best for every character, some will be able to keep their vanilla moves, others might need some tweaking, but it can open the doors to truly helping to fix some characters.

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
Steel Diver and Sin and Punishment don't have their own series symbols -- just the Smash Bros logo. I guess that means they won't get stages.

I'm still hoping they put in the main theme for Steel Diver as a track somewhere, even if it doesn't get a stage.

Loving that Balloon Fight stage. It's about time it got some love.

Curious as to why Waluigi had his series symbol changed from the Mario series to the Wario series...despite not appearing in any Wario Land or Wario Ware games. I mean, I guess it fits since he has an association with Wario, and I kinda wanted him to use the Wario symbol too, but...

-----
Waluigi IS in some of the WarioWare titles tho..

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
-Metaknight's all but confirmed (Halberd returning)
Oh man, thanks for reminding me my favorite stage in Brawl is returning. Wonder how the past stages will be split up between versions considering Sakurai previously stated Brawl stages on the 3DS was technically nigh impossible. Wouldn't surprise me if Sm4sh 3DS mixes N64 + Melee stages while Sm4sh Wii U is predominantly based on Brawl.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think Squirtle and Ivysaur took a dive for the greater good. Brawl had 6 Pokemon reps in all and now there's two vacancies that can easily be filled by Jigglypuff and Mewtwo. They probably were cut because of programming difficulties with the 3DS and I feel like it's just as well because the forced switching and the stamina aspects of them absolutely killed their appeal to me.

Top Bottom