• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
This game is now literally fan service on all sides.

Hardcore Smash audience? You get this piece of smash

Casual Smash audience? You get this piece of smash

Nintendo fan? Look at all these new items and stages which represent so many franchises going as far as making a submarine into a gun

Fighting game fan? Look at all these cool footage, combos and now even "standard" rulesets

Megaman fan? Well watch all of his moves and even his final smash grant you all you ever wished for in a playable Megaman

Sonic fan? Watch his ultra lightning speed gameplay and combos as he totally ridicules another fighter in a 5 hit ground->air->spike combo that happens in like 2 seconds, totally how Sonic should have been in Brawl but wasn't

Yea, this Smash seems to do it all.
I can't tell if you're happy about this, or bitter.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This game is now literally fan service on all sides.

Hardcore Smash audience? You get this piece of smash

Casual Smash audience? You get this piece of smash

Nintendo fan? Look at all these new items and stages which represent so many franchises going as far as making a submarine into a gun

Fighting game fan? Look at all these cool footage, combos and now even "standard" rulesets

Megaman fan? Well watch all of his moves and even his final smash grant you all you ever wished for in a playable Megaman

Sonic fan? Watch his ultra lightning speed gameplay and combos as he totally ridicules another fighter in a 5 hit ground->air->spike combo that happens in like 2 seconds, totally how Sonic should have been in Brawl but wasn't

Yea, this Smash seems to do it all.
Not to mention Zamus with MY kind of fan service

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Oh also, it looks like they're trying to avoid/remove random factors in movesets (pikmin type, DDDs waddle dees, transformation times, etc), presumably to help out the 3ds power and Internet connections.

I wonder if this will have an impact on G&W with judgment or peach' turnips, etc?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Warning Received
Whoooo...!!! I hope you all took my advice and lubricated yourselves... wow!!! I watched the whole Direct twice and I still don't feel pain down there. :troll:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If I may point something out.

When the Yellow Devil explodes, there are two P2 symbols. Obviously to show who the explosion belongs to, but I thought it was interesting.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
I'm surprised that no one mentioned how slow the gameplay looked and how there where no combos. Hopefully it will still be as competitive as I hope.
looked pretty fast to me, at least compared to brawl. When Lucario used Up b and flew over the level he fell real quick. And i dont know if u saw anything that had to do with little mac...that man is extremely fast. Overall the characters fall faster, attacks come out faster, and the pacing all around is pretty quick

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Yes, thank you, I had no idea what he really meant. I am so glad you pointed it out.
I.R._Baboon_305-1-.gif

On a different note (well, they're both monkey's...) can someone tell me what the Diddy Kong discussion is about? Obviously I've missed something in the Direct regarding him.

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
Still keeping my hope for Ridley alive... I don't see why Sakurai would tease Ridley like that if there wasn't something sketchy going on there. Why not just show him outright, or plainly state that he's a boss character? Optimistic speculation, I suppose, but there wasn't a concrete deconfirmation.

I'd also like to point out that Ridley in Other M is NOT the same Ridley that appeared in the other games. It's canonically possible for there to be two of him. It also could have been Meta-Ridley flying around, but I don't think that improves his chances because Meta-Ridley IS Ridley, only outfitted with some mechanical upgrades.
Yeah, I'm with you on this. The one that flies by in this Direct is Other M Ridley (Roidley), as evidenced by his tail blade that you see briefly. Even though Ridley is often labelled as 'too big', maybe there's room on the Wii U version for two of him :D

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
The direct was okay.., I mean not like I expected but it was alright. I don't know who that greninja guy was but I guess he's a pokemon.

I hope they release the wii u version actually during 2014 and not delay it to 2015...

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
If I may point something out.

When the Yellow Devil explodes, there are two P2 symbols. Obviously to show who the explosion belongs to, but I thought it was interesting.
Nice catch.

I'm really happy the stages are more alive and really pay tribute to the games represented. I think this game is really bridging true fans of Nintendo's properties and fans of Smash Bros that prefer to play competitively and not so much care for anything else.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
It does seem odd that the 3DS version is coming out before the WiiU one, but I'm sure with those extra 6 months-ish they'll throw in some sorta content to make it worth our while. It can't be characters, because the rosters are the same, so I'm going with game mode(s). Especially since currently the 3DS has a leg up on the WiiU in that regard. Actually, come to think of it, releasing the WiiU smash right before the holiday season might be more intelligent then releasing it after the 3DS is odd. Especially if there are enough differences between the two versions. Considering that Sakurai seems to consider them two different games, I'm not worried. Besides while Smash is big its not the only huge title coming to WiiU this year. Nintendo will turn this around.

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
I love all the the New Final Smashes....especially Villagers. Also, I'm worried that the Mighty Jiggs is in danger, but The Original 12 just has to come back, right? RIGHT?!? {anyway, Palutena and King K. Rool are basically confirmed, hopefully}

gamer8

Smash Lord
So we have Charizard and Greninja. Anyone think we'll get a grass type as well or not? Sceptile would fit in, but then again with the amount of Pokemon reps I don't know. I'm still holding out hope for Mewtwo and I think Jigglypuff is definitely coming back.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
With transformations out, that means Sheik, Zamus and Charizard take up a full spot on the roster. With the inclusion of Ganon that brings Zelda reps to five (I can't imagine them going higher) and Metroid reps to two. I'm guessing Jigglypuff and Mewtwo will round out the Pokemon representation to a healthy six.

I wish Sakurai had time to highlight all the veterans a little (there was little Peach love) but overall a great direct. Sucks Olimar got (seemingly) nerfed. Good to see Yoshi back and looking pretty great in HD.

I honestly don't know what to think of Greninja. Another unexpected choice. Definitely the most iffy newcomer for me. I can't get over how his tongue is wrapped around his face.

Also what does everyone think of Lucario and Charizard's mega evolutions? Sakurai didn't explain the mechanic. They don't seem to be a FS.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It does seem odd that the 3DS version is coming out before the WiiU one, but I'm sure with those extra 6 months-ish they'll throw in some sorta content to make it worth our while. It can't be characters, because the rosters are the same, so I'm going with game mode(s). Especially since currently the 3DS has a leg up on the WiiU in that regard. Actually, come to think of it, releasing the WiiU smash right before the holiday season might be more intelligent then releasing it after the 3DS is odd. Especially if there are enough differences between the two versions. Considering that Sakurai seems to consider them two different games, I'm not worried. Besides while Smash is big its not the only huge title coming to WiiU this year. Nintendo will turn this around.
Considering there was that post earlier about the Wii U version releasing in New Zealand and Australia over the Summer with the 3DS version released during Winter; assuming it's not a typo, I think both games may be finished by Summer, but are being strategically released at separate times. Seriously, look at how much information we received just now! I think once people play the 3DS version for awhile people will start to find there isn't an adequate substitute for the home experience. Especially not for a game like Super Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
So we have Charizard and Greninja. Anyone think we'll get a grass type as well or not? Sceptile would fit in, but then again with the amount of Pokemon reps I don't know. I'm still holding out hope for Mewtwo and I think Jigglypuff is definitely coming back.
I can't think of many grass Pokemon that would fit the bill. Sceptile would be amazing, but unless they announce a RSE remake, I think he's destined to be pushed aside.

For Pokemon, the types covered are Electric, Fire, Flying, Dragon (Mega Evo) Water, Dark, Fighting, Steel, and probably Fairy and Normal (Jiggs).

Covering grass would be awesome.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Man there was a lot to take in there, for the most part it was great.

Things that i liked

-Charizard getting his own slot, and his mega x forme is something i really wanted
-Zelda getting a new down b, and that the phantom is what it appeared to be.
-Greninja, never expected this guy, but like rosalina its another unexpected character but great none the less
-Zero suit samus getting her other m look, and armored samus not losing the armor.
-Separate modes for each section of the fanbase

Things i didnt like

-Sheik returning separate. I get why they did it, hell i hoped for it, but it only makes me wish we had impa even more.
-Pokemon trainer gone, its always sad to see characters go and this is no different.
-Ridley, and the lack there of him but not quite (seriously sakurai why all the hidden BS? Just show him)
-Kremlings (i have my reasons)
-Snakes continued absence and the fact that sheik now has a grenade

very eventful for sure, but a bit bitter sweet

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I don't know if you're joking, but he was obviously making fun of Iwata for doing that silly pose. That's why both times he did it he never said "direct". "First time he said: I want to bring this information......... about the game", and second time he said "This is Masahiro Sakurai direct....or of Super Smash Brothers"

It was obviously making fun of Iwata and his silly poses/sayings.
Oh, ok. I thought he was hurting, because at the end he did it again, but he was taking a deep breath as he did it....

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
So at the end when it ran through all the currently confirmed fighters, it did so in order of first appearance and did anyone else spot that ignoring Luigi (who Sakurai previously said wouldn't have been shown only for Year of Luigi) that all the vets confirmed today were on the starting rosters of their first appearances?

Also if we assume Ivysaur and Squirtle are gone and treat that as two cuts we can remain with 6 Pokemon (a full team in that series of games too) if both Jiggs and Mewtwo return. And while I am starting to think there's a slim chance we'll get Sceptile to balance a starter trio, I doubt another Pokemon newcomer especially one that would be Gen 3

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
I loved the Direct overall. Here are my main thoughts:

*It makes sense to me that the 3DS version is coming out first, but that's like a 5-6 month gap between the two...Not looking toooooo great for the Wii U with its Smash 4 version being released a bit later than we thought but hope I am wrong
*I don't think this deconfirms Ridley. Sakurai teased us by showing off "Ridley's" shadow. But if it was Ridley, why the hell wouldn't he just show us? I see no point in teasing only to be like "oh yeah, Ridley is a boss." considering he just showed off everything there is to the Yellow Devil. There's something more to this. If anything, it makes me a bit more certain Ridley may be playable. In addition, someone pointed out that his tail looked a bit gray. I say in addition to that, that his movement looked a bit odd. Almost as if he was being controlled. It was a bit stiff. Dunno if that counts for anything.
*At first I thought For Glory seemed a little lame since it was only FD, but since they revealed there are tons of "FD's", that seems pretty cool. Just wish we could play with stocks but whatever. Still seems way better than Brawl's online. Now hopefully the netcode is good...
*Items in general seemed pretty awesome. Surprised at how many Zelda ones there were but I thought they were all pretty cool, especially ones like the RocketPack from Pilotwings. I just wish we saw what the Cucco is like haha. I was also surprised the Fire Stick from Mario was a battering weapon haha.
*Smash Run seems awesome but I am very disappointed such a cool-looking mode is only for the 3DS...

Now here are my biggest concerns regarding gameplay:

In the part detailing stuff on Rosalina, you can see Mario cancelling his hitstun with airdodging.....a la Brawl. This is something I was really hoping would not return. It's just a really stupid mechanic. On the plus side, the gameplay is faster so maybe people can run up to their opponents and actually anticipate an air dodge, and then punish them for that. But I am worried about that. Also, as seen in the parts with Pit and ZSS, you can still sweetspot in the middle of an Up B. There's also a part where Mario is fighting Link on Jungle Japes, and he grabs an edge backwards. I just hope that edges aren't quite as sticky as Brawl, and they don't seem to be. I haven't really seen anyone grab edges from ridiculous distances. Also maybe the changes in edgeguarding and whatever will make the edge game fine.

But yeah overall that was pretty awesome.

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
Man there was a lot to take in there, for the most part it was great.

Things that i liked

-Charizard getting his own slot, and his mega x forme is something i really wanted
-Zelda getting a new down b, and that the phantom is what it appeared to be.
-Greninja, never expected this guy, but like rosalina its another unexpected character but great none the less
-Zero suit samus getting her other m look, and armored samus not losing the armor.
-Separate modes for each section of the fanbase

Things i didnt like

-Sheik returning separate. I get why they did it, hell i hoped for it, but it only makes me wish we had impa even more.
-Pokemon trainer gone, its always sad to see characters go and this is no different.
-Ridley, and the lack there of him but not quite (seriously sakurai why all the hidden BS? Just show him)
-Kremlings (i have my reasons)
-Snakes continued absence and the fact that sheik now has a grenade

very eventful for sure, but a bit bitter sweet
On the highlighted point: with Little Mac and Trainers both already confirmed to have proper alt char models I've a feeling we could see an Impa skin for Shiek now that she's solo.... something to think about (and hope for xD )

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Well that direct was amazing! but I still cant help but be a bit salty at the loss of Red....=( ohwell I still have Charizard. even though I never once gae Greninja a second thought im sure he will be a really fun character to use! Was I the only one who thought that maybe gamefreak has BIG plans for everyones favorite ninja frog??? (also LOVE the substitute move)

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
I just gotta say, one of my favorite parts about the Direct, and Smash 4 in general is how everyone is getting so so so buffed. Olimar only having 3 Pikmin at a time aside, everyone has gotten nothing but awesome buffs. Instead of making the top tier characters bottom tier, Sakurai's pretty much making everyone S-tier, and that's so great. That scene with Sonic killing Marth was absolutely delicious.

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
Considering there was that post earlier about the Wii U version releasing in New Zealand and Australia over the Summer with the 3DS version released during Winter; assuming it's not a typo, I think both games may be finished by Summer, but are being strategically released at separate times. Seriously, look at how much information we received just now! I think once people play the 3DS version for awhile people will start to find there isn't an adequate substitute for the home experience. Especially not for a game like Super Smash Bros.
If it were strategic he would release the WiiU game first since it's dying for crying out loud. I'm pretty sure he said they needed more time for the WiiU version since it has better graphics and hopefully a better solo experience.

Edit: I do see your point though.

Last edited:

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I hadn't heard that. Thanks for the info. I'm still inclined to believe that if the 3DS has an exclusive mode then the WiiU one will too, but I do now have less reason to believe it.

Top Bottom