• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Can we all agree that Skull Kid NOT dropping the moon is ****ing lame?
Seriously, that's the only negative point of this direct for me.
:p
Right? Skull Kid/Majora is instantly associated with the moon and you didn't go with that? anyway it's a cool move but it looks exactly like Palkia's in Brawl.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Pretty neutral for this Nintendo Direct. I'm intrigued by Smash Run for the 3DS, though it makes me wonder what exclusive content the WiiU will have.

I like customized movesets, so I look forward to hear more on that, though it's obvious they won't be utilized in competitive matches. Rosalina still gonna be my main, but I'm pretty tempted to pick up Samus and Zamus.

Can't say there was anything wrong with the presentation, but nothing particularly wowed me, except for Megaman's epic final smash.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Because, based on past Smash games, a most current gen rep was pretty much guaranteed from the start and he's by far the most popular of the current starters.
Pretty much this. We all just assumed it would be Mewtwo in a roundabout way, but they went ahead and just added, frankly, the best choice from X and Y available. If Pokémon Trainer had stayed in tact, I'd be tempted to be in the camp of people that think Mewtwo or Jiggs are gone; but I have a hard time believing neither one won't come back, especially after discovering Zoroark is probably a Pokéball character. All of the other 'candidates' are items.

Going to miss my Squirts though.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
>Capcom: Can't do anything good with the franchise other than 9 and 10 for a whole gen.
>Sakurai: Gives the entire Mega Man fanbase a huge fan gasm through one Final Smash.

Can Nintendo (or Sora) just buy Mega Man already?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't like what they did with Samus and Zelda. At least everything was mostly canon before. Now they've just cloned characters from the same timeline.
Dr. Mario prescribes a healthy does of "Sakurai don't play by your rules."

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Honestly, pretty much everything was amazing, and WOW that Final Destination really left an impression on me! It's...so...beautiful!!
The only thing I feel weird about is Charizard and Greninja earning their own solo roster slots. And I ask myself why am I just a tad irked at that? And then I ask well how did they get in and all I can come up with is:
Charizard: Past Smasher, Fan-Favorite, Big deal in Pokemon Origins
So...I'll get used to it cause yeah, he's just as important as Lucario I guess. But then...
Greninja: Starter Pokemon, Cool Design.
Aaaand thats all I can come up with...? I'll get used to it and love it... but it'll take me some time. Just a day or two. He looks great! It's just...he's here... hmm. It's just weird. It's like if they announced Swampert when Brawl was still a thing. I'm just... I dunno. Greninja = Little Mac, Villager, or Megaman when it comes to earning a spot? I dunno, I dunno... I'll love him later, sorry...

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Are you guys sure that Ridley is deconfirmed? Similar to what someone said in the previous comments, the tail of Ridley in the direct was a gray color and the original's is purple. http://smashboards.com/attachments/metaridley-png.11695/ Meaning the one we saw was META Ridley.

Remember when we saw Toon Link in the spirit tracks stage and we all thought he was deconfirmed? Well it ended up that he wasn't. This goes for Ridley as well, he can be a stage character and a character on the roster.
As we can see here, Meta Ridley's tail obviously fades into purple.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
You guys are going to be in for a treat when meta Ridley is shown in pyrosphere, for whatever reason.

To be completely honest, Smash Run might make me buy the 3ds version, which I hadn't planned to do. City trial was AMAZING.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Wii Fit Trainers deep breathing reminded me a little of Lucas in Project M. Surprised we didn't see female Villager... Wire Mac makes me think we might see a few costumes.

Khao

Smash Lord
This seriously makes me fangasm every time I see it. :awesome:
Every once in a while I start to think that it's really dumb that they didn't try to come up with a more canonical attack for classic Mega Man.

But then I see that gif again and I'm like oh my god Mr. Sakurai. *faints*

I'm just incapable of not loving it. A lot.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much this. We all just assumed it would be Mewtwo in a roundabout way, but they went ahead and just added, frankly, the best choice from X and Y available. If Pokémon Trainer had stayed in tact, I'd be tempted to be in the camp of people that think Mewtwo or Jiggs are gone; but I have a hard time believing neither one won't come back, especially after discovering Zoroark is probably a Pokéball character. All of the other 'candidates' are items.

Going to miss my Squirts though.
Squirtle is not disconfirmed. Just a lot of logical fallacies going around. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
That isn't a fade

It just IS purple

There is no transition
My point was I don't see that purple in Meta-ridley's design on the tail there. I was being sarcastic.
But okay, I'll take your nitpicking. Sorry for being incorrect about color transition.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
People this direct was awesome, gonna get a bath. Nothing more to add.

When 3ds version get out, I will go into exile to not spoil the fun. Wii U version gonna be the first Smash 4 gameplay that I gonna have.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'm surprised that no one mentioned how slow the gameplay looked and how there where no combos. Hopefully it will still be as competitive as I hope.
They already stated the gameplay speed will have a median between Melee and Brawl, I'm inclined to believe it'll reach that mark. No one should be expecting Melee/P:M combos however.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Keep in mind that the 3DS version is currently planned to come out this summer, meaning that we'll most likely see the full roster of characters within only a few months.

Woo!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The only things I disliked about the Direct were:
- Potential Ridley disconfirmation (very, very likely)
- Tranforming characters being gone (though I know many will be happy with this change)

The positives were pretty much everything else. The new stages, the new items, the new Pokémon and Assists, My Music returning and a glorious soundtrack, Greninja was an amazing surprise, the Final Smashes looked epic, the new Final Destination looks beyond amazing, alternate costumes, the new 3DS exclusive mode looks really fun, better online, catering to the widest audience as possible (more FD stages for example) and anything else I forgot to list because this was a lot of info.

My overall feelings about the Direct can be summed up in one gif:

And my hype levels feel like:

In other words, I'm very satisfied with this big batch of information. It was a lively night for sure!

That said, I'll be off now. See ya!

MasterLuigi

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2835-8943
I like that they got rid of transforming. No one really transformed with Zelda or Sheik so transforming specials basically took away their down specials in Melee and Brawl.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Did anybody notice on the Charizard and Greninja trailer, there is this part where Greninja knocks Mario to the right and Charizard to the left? I think that is a new stage. Correct me if I am wrong please.
I believe it's where you fought the Champion in X and Y

TiaSilvia

Smash Apprentice
The cinematic trailer also shows Darkrai, Chespin, Snivy, and the cotton candy pokemon. Their models match the other confirmed Pokemon, think those guys will be in Pokeballs too?
And Zoroark. His deconfirmation is really important.

Dairz

Smash Ace
Yoshi has arrived, so we can finally stop waiting for that. Sakurai's justification for holding off this long makes no sense to me, I guess maybe they were working on balancing the new way he moves or something, but I could hardly tell any difference at all.
- New stance
- New jab combo
- Up special has rainbow effects now (possibly effect blast radius)
- Can do another hit after connecting bair
- Side tilt looks faster (could be wrong)

HummingB

Smash Rookie
Maaan, this SmashDirect was just awesome!
At first I was quite surprised with Greninja being chosen over so many other Pokemons, but oh well, Jiggly got his place in SSB like this 15 years ago and we got used to him, so it's ok!
However, Pokemon Trainer and his fellas will be missed. Charizard was by far the Pokemon I used the least, it's a shame :/
On a side note, Wario (even if it was obvious) was indirectly confirmed during this Direct, as Ashley and Waluigi were shown using his icon (the W). And that's good too :)
And finally, SO... MANY... NEW... ITEMS... HOW CAN I HOLD ALL OF THEM?!

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Squirtle is not disconfirmed. Just a lot of logical fallacies going around. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Let's put it this way: we have solo Charizard, coming right off of Sakurai discussing the changes in transforming characters, a new Water-type Pokémon that is one of the starting trio for Pokémon X/Y. There really isn't a lot of encouraging signs he's coming back. Or do you really think he'd trump Jigglypuff and or Mewtwo? I just don't see that happening. Granted, I'd gladly trade Squirtle for Jigglypuff.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Okay, I need to get away from here for a while. There's so many thoughts racing through my head I can't even deal. This Direct was crazy, and now I think my brain is broken.

I loved every second of it. Greninja is absolutely amazing - I'm so glad they've chosen him. He's an awesome rep for X/Y and was unexpected and brings a new moveset and traits to the table. After this, I'm happy to get a newcomer Pokemon rather than one we've seen already.

The only thing I'm annoyed about is the differing release dates. If every one plays Smash on their 3DS for months, what if they're sick of it when the Wii U version comes out? I'm getting both either way but... seems like a really dumb move. That being said, I've always had my reservations about the 3DS version, so I guess time will tell.

BRING ON E3!

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
wow. I can't wait for the ssb4 miiverse fan site to update! Id be able to actually make sense of alot of this.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I just noticed:
Sakurai used Substitute.
Can I get a picture of the shot in between showcasing Arceus and showcasing the other Pokemon?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wonder if we can play the final destination version of the other stages in local play

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Yeah, it does concern me a little bit, but I also noticed that Diddy still has his bananas, (we knew this for a while) but in action. I have a pretty hard time imagining how she would be incorporated. I guess part of me is also in denial and doesn't want it to happen, as well.
Sure, but keep this in mind:

1) We have yet to see Diddy in a picture or video where 4 Brawlers are present. There have been others with 4 present.
2) We haven't seen his side special in action yet. Maybe his side-special has something to do with Dixie (a high-five tag-in, a la DKC2), who knows. Just saying, it's still not out of the question.

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
Also, I think it's pretty crazy that we have 29 individual characters confirmed so far, already more than Melee and less than a year after the first trailer.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
There are already pics of Chespin as a pokeball in game. Darkrai and others too.

Greninja is a good pick imo. Along with Charizard. I also think we could still get Mewtwo and Jiggs.

Greninja is the most popular starter of the current gen. Charizard is the most popular of the first gen. Makes sense to me. If Squirtle and Ivy are cut then we could have Mewtwo and Jiggs while retaining six pokemon characters.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
Something I noticed about Jungle Japes is that when Fox fell into the water, he was thrown off the stage with no sign of swimming whatsoever. Perhaps it's gone this time around?

1:00

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
The only things I disliked about the Direct were:
- Potential Ridley disconfirmation (very, very likely)
I really think that if Sakurai was going to disconfirm a character with that much support, he would just rip the band-aid off and say "Ridley is a Boss on Pyrosphere" instead of showing us an ominous shadow and not even mentioning the character that's casting it. If Ridley isn't playable, that moves right from "trolling" into "taunting", and I'd like to think he wouldn't be that petty.

Last edited:
Top Bottom