• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. 3D/U OST Contest! Round 27 - Midgar (Grading)

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Just seems like something that you guys would do after all the new stages have been finished, especially since the music is more than likely going to the same songs from Brawl/Melee. Not saying you guys shouldn't, but given the complaints about judging/not finishing on time, I'm just surprised it's been made a priority.
Not to sound rude, but does it really matter if we pretty much already know the music that'll play on the past stages?
I mean, this isn't really supposed to be some prediction game, is it? It's not based on what will happen.
It's meant to be "ideal," isn't it? Granted, an "ideal" set of songs will no doubt have some "expected" songs intermixed.

And being that we have no other Donkey Kong stages to use... I'll take this! :laugh:

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Just seems like something that you guys would do after all the new stages have been finished, especially since the music is more than likely going to the same songs from Brawl/Melee. Not saying you guys shouldn't, but given the complaints about judging/not finishing on time, I'm just surprised it's been made a priority.
It's more of an extra, really. Since a Past Stage is a bit easier, that's why I thought we could group it in with a regular stage (to help ease us into trying to tackle the stages in groups). It's also why we asked about Green Hill Zone. If people are okay with just using the Brawl tracklist as a stand in, then it saves us time.

Is it a possibility that the Island (Day) theme and the Minigame theme are part of a medley? I'd find it hard to believe that the Kapp'n's song remix isn't on Tortimer Island.
Yep. They are indeed...

Island/Daytime Minigame
A medley of...
I'll go ahead and make it more clear (and use BillyTheKidd's vid).

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Wow, total role reversal on me now; Before I wondered when the judges would ever be done grading. Now, i'm wondering what the heck is taking the participants so darn long to submit a soundtrack! It's so jarring! :p

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
It's been so long since I've participated. Let's see if I can get back into the swing of things.

[collapse=Tortimer Island playlist]
Track: Tortimer Island Medley (Island Daytime + Minigame Daytime)
Source: Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS, 2013)
Reason: Confirmed, and the two pieces are the most obvious picks for this stage anyway. However, if we assume that this stage borrows the element from the Animal Crossing games that Smashville did, then it will also be possible to play on a nighttime version. In such a case, the medley would become a mixture of the Island (Nighttime) and Minigame (Nighttime) themes. The two versions of the medley would be considered variations on the same track, however (which they are) and share the same slot on My Music.

Track: Kapp'n's Song
Reason: Wanted to include the (in my opinion) far superior ACPG Kapp'n's Song, but we're only allowed one medley, and the ska remix we heard in the April Direct is as good as confirmed besides.

Track: Animal Island
Source: Animal Crossing (GameCube, 2001)
Reason: You can't not pay homage to the original island we got to visit in the Animal Crossing series. You had to connect your GBA to the system in order to visit the island, so thematically, the track sort of fits with the "handheld" theme. A very slow, soothing calypso tune, it's far different from the New Leaf island theme. This would likely be one of those tracks where you'd find yourself pausing the game just to listen to it.

Track: Aloha K.K. (aircheck version)
Source: Animal Crossing (GameCube, 2001)
Reason: One of K.K. Slider's best fits for an island-set soundtrack, Aloha K.K. would presumably be remixed to stand out as a more "full" piece of music, and in higher quality. The lazy, Hawaiian vibe of the track is simple yet catchy, and provides the perfect ambiance for a white sandy beach. It'd be good to have at least one ukulele-using piece of music in the game, for sake of variety, wouldn't it?

Track: 1 PM
Source: Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS, 2005)
Reason: 1 PM is a memorable tune, set at a time where many fans were likely to be playing often, and the main "harmonica" melody encompasses elements from other hourly tunes from the game. Wild World's hourly themes were recycled in City Folk, so this track appears in 2 games in the series. It has a mellow, lighthearted beat, with the occasional whistle, making it fit well on a sunny island. The comically low bass/horn sound in the track, accompanied by the lightly-plucked string sounds, give the track a vaguely reggae sound, which I think helps it fit well on this tropical stage.

Track: 12 PM
Reason: Another tune you're likely to hear a lot while playing, the distinctive steel drum sounds and guitar give it a fittingly Caribbean/tropical flair that is unique among the hourly tunes in the game. It still retains its playful, domestic qualities, however, making it stand out from the more thoroughly tropical tracks on this list.

Track: Island Shop
Reason: Perhaps the most stereotypically "tropical island" tune on this list, this genre-adherent track should be ingrained into the brains of anyone who's spent time on New Leaf's island. It's slow and cliche tropical fair, so it doesn't offer much in terms of variety for this list, but it's sort of a necessity, I'd say. I think it could use a remix that significantly spices it up and gives it more speed, like the Kapp'n's Song remix.

Track: Fireworks Festival
Source: Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS, 2013); I think this track may have actually been in the original, but I can't remember.
Reason: I really wanted one final track that didn't seem to make much sense, to add a little bit of variety. With all of these slow, tropical tunes, it's nice to have a peppy little ditty such as this. The horn parts could be reworked to give them a ska flair in order to better fit the stage, or played with to match up with the electronic elements and the bass to create a rocksteady or reggae remix. It already fits somewhat thematically, as the Fireworks Festival is the hallmark of summer in New Leaf, indirectly linking it to the island frolicking players are sure to engage in during the summer.
[/collapse]

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Ah, I almost forgot, as this is an Animal Crossing round, I should remind @ BridgesWithTurtles BridgesWithTurtles and anyone else submitting a soundtrack for Tortimer Island to make sure their soundtracks specify whether a given KK song is the Live, Aircheck or Music Box version as there is a difference in the music for which version it is, and I don't wanna see anyone get deductions for mislabeling their soundtrack. Trust me, I had it bad enough trying to go back to find certain versions of songs in AC GC.

Last edited:

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Only one entry so far... has everyone else lost interest in the contest? Or in these stages?

pichupal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pichupower
3DS FC
1997-0164-7116
Only one entry so far... has everyone else lost interest in the contest? Or in these stages?
I've never done this before, but I could try to put one together. Just for Animal Crossing, right? Feels weird coming up with so many songs when we know there are just 2 for the stage.

Can I cheat and use a song from the Animal Crossing movie?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Actually, I think you guys should decide a panel of judges amongst yourselves to get this contest going. Almost all the previous judges are busy with their lives, and the thread has been nearly abandoned.

Last edited:

Ascended

Smash Ace
Am I going to have give a final farewell salute to the thread that got me to become a member of Smashboards?
;_;7 just in case.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I've got a list for Jungle Japes but I probably won't post it until later.
I'm not sure if I'll get one done for Tortimer Island.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I don't have final say since i'm not the only judge in this new panel, but from watching past rounds, I think you should just stick to the games themselves.

Oh, almost didn't see the other part! This round is for both Tortimer Island AND Jungle Japes, but I imagine you can submit for just one stage if you want.

Last edited:

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
I've never done this before, but I could try to put one together. Just for Animal Crossing, right? Feels weird coming up with so many songs when we know there are just 2 for the stage.

Aren't the songs from the movie remixed from the games, though?

I've got a list for Jungle Japes but I probably won't post it until later.
I'm not sure if I'll get one done for Tortimer Island.
Okay, I'll be waiting for your Jungle Japes in anticipation.

Oh, and since we have two stages going on this round, the round is going to stay open until sometime on Monday evening. Make sure to have your lists up by then!

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
What!? We go to the next Animal Crossing stage and no one tells me about it!? Not even you, Smashboards alerts!? GAH, THIS IS MADDENIN' I SAY!/ MADDENIN'!

Just saying, expect me to make a tracklist for this one later. Or sometime within this week.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Here is my Jungle Japes entry:

Confirmed stuff
Jungle Japes- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIBlo8GdHa0
Kongo Jungle- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU4vh4LX2Gk

My stuff

Name: Bramble Blast
Game: Donkey Kong Country 2 (Brawl version)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3rnyqI7dFc
Reason: I just love this version and is one of my favourite tracks from Brawl.

Name: Big Top Bop
Game: Tropical Freeze
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=301s-GDML5w
Reason: Metal isn't something I would associate with DK but this track wants to prove otherwise. I feel this gives a some variety to to other DK tracks.

Name: Donkey Kong Country Theme
Game: Donkey Kong Country
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA5Wc1_Zghk
Reason: This track helps to represent the original Donkey Kong arcade game and the start of the amazing Country games.

Name: Wizpig Challenge
Game: Diddy Kong Racing
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxMh1hvk1KE
Reason: A bit of an odd choice but Diddy Kong Racing has just superb music and I felt this tense music made sense when you consider the raging river underneath the stage.

Name: Krazy Kart
Game: Donkey Kong Country Returns
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOBFOXzL6zQ
Reason: I just like this adventurous music.

Name: Bad Boss Boogie
Game: Donkey Kong Land
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDoDZxoQvfM
Reason: Seeing as it is the 3DS I wanted to do a throw back to the Donkey Kong Land games.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
This has no bearing on my grading, but wow, I never even KNEW there were DK Country games for the GB! :O
Technically, they're DK LAND games. :p Unless you're referring to the GBC and GBA Country ports. :troll:

Anyway, the round closes tomorrow night! Make sure you get your entries in before then!!

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
And remember, no matter who wins the Tortimer Island contest, You can thank us later for forwarding the winnings in Bells to Tom Nook! :troll:

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
"Heh horf! Welcome to the Tortimer Island Music Tour! Here you will be searching for songs and compiling them for my island. You have 24 hours to fetch me 5-8 songs. The sooner you finish your list, I'll reward you with a hefty Medal prize. You may even get a super-rare Victory prize if you really stand out! Anything across the Nintendo library goes. So none of them new-age bubblegum pop songs ye' whippersnappers listen to. These ol' eardrums don't work like they used to. Alright, sports. Let's get jiggy with this...
GET READY...
GET SET...
GO!"

[COLLAPSE=Captain Hotcakes' Tortimer Island Tracklist]
1: Island Daytime/Daytime Minigame Medley
Game of Origin:
Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS, 2013)
Comments:
Confirmed track.

★ 2: Kapp'n's Song
Game of Origin:
Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS, 2013)
Comments: Confirmed track.

* 3: K.K.'s Tropical Blend (feat. Kapp'n)
-Aloha K.K. 0:00-0:22
-K.K. Calypso 0:23-0:45
-K.K. Reggae 0:46-1:13
-K.K. Salsa 1:14-1:42
-Marine Song 2001 1:43-2:10

Game of Origin: Animal Crossing - Animal Crossing: Wild World (GC/DS, 2001-2005)
Comments: Now that's a title I would like to drink! The Animal Crossing series features music spanning all cultures and genres. All of the tracks from the first game sum up all your generally categories great, and they carry over to every game since. Given the tropical setting of Tortimer Island, this is an assortment of some Latin and Caribbean songs (You can imagine K.K. singing over each if you want. Remix plausible, after all). The songs gradually become more hyperactive before resorting the mellow vocals out from Kapp'n salty jowls. The following are all airchecks of these songs (like you would hear inside a villager's home) and build into each other within 2 minutes and 10 before repeating. This is to make the most out of a default Time match, whilst leaving a bit of wonder on how the last song goes out for extended play or Stock matches.

This is important to note when listening to this. Imagine each song transitioning into each other smoothly, with the right tempos and sections flowing together.

*4: 1 PM
Game of Origin: Animal Crossing (GC, 2001)
Comments: Ah, a smooth melody of accordion, whistles, chimes, and... kittens? Are they stuck in the trees!? I better find them! The unconventional instrument choice makes this song memorable for those stuck around in Animal Crossing around the afternoon hours. The battle atmosphere of Smash Bros. conflicts with the innocent, frisky charm of this song. But this variety piece is meant to resonate with the calming atmosphere of the island. Might as well deport them Smashers for causing a ruckus on this peaceful island, y'ar!

5: 2 AM
Game of Origin:
Animal Crossing: Wild World/Animal Crossing: City Folk (DS/Wii, 2005-2008)
Comments: Now, I understand that this very hourly track WAS remixed in Brawl and it could be seen as a disserivce not to return it. This is made especially egregious if Smashville is a returning stage, whatever version they choose (preferably Wii U). But please take a potential returning remix and this original for what they are and hear out my reasons!

If you ask people to name their favorite hourly tunes from Wild World and City Folk, you're likely to hear this one come up a lot. People would freakin' stay up just to listen to it and enjoy the romantic, mellow atmosphere it brings to the early morning. Unlike the previous Animal Crossing tracks listed, this track is a perfect example of the different musical moods the composers incorporate into the hourly tunes of each game. This could be seen as unfitting for fighting. But the stage makes this perfect to showcase those musical moods.

6: Splatoon
Game of Origin:
Splatoon (Wii U, TBR 2015)
Comments: "Woah! What's this, Hotcakes!? First you take an original track for a remixed song and now you're pulling out a track from an unreleased game!? Mind you Smash 3DS is coming next month! STOP BREAKING THESE CONVENTIONS! INSTA-DROP!"

Okay then, let me explain. It's not unusual for Sakurai and his team to include content from unreleased games early. There were Cubivore and Animal Crossing trophies as "Future Release" trophies in Melee before they were released outside of Japan. Same with Roy being playable in Melee before Fire Emblem: Binding Blade. If you say otherwise, Splatoon has public awareness and isn't some undercover thing anymore! There's no way you can hide this from the Wii U 2015 line-up! This gives games like these a brief promo space in Nintendo's greatest annual crossover.

Whew! Now that that's out of the way, how about why I thought this was a good choice? This surf rock track provides a more intense mood than what my previous tracks offer whilst not overdoing it. Fits the beach theme quite well too. Not sure if the gibberish, high-pitched voices are part of the gameplay SFX or not, but they have their own little charm to them too. Personally makes it a bit of an awkward listen for me though. Oh, but that distorted guitar solo does it for me!

7:
GiFTPiA Opening
Game of Origin: GiFTPiA (GC, 2003)
Comments: You may not be familiar with this obscure Gamecube classic, given that it was a Japan Only release. Even has that NiGHTS make-all-your-i's-lowercase thing going for it. If anything, this game was known for its diverse assortment of underground music and then some. Nevertheless, this off-beat, quirky orchestra gives the atmosphere of Tortimer Island some ironic epic. The variances of gibberish vocals give a sense of esoterica too, all the way up to that Lil Wayne-sounding guy.

*8: StarTropics Dunegon
Game of Origin:
StarTropics (NES, 1990)
Comments: Ah, StarTropics. That obscure little adventure game only us Westerners hold acclaim too (Mike Jones supporters, hollah!) This game was similar in vein to Legend of Zelda and other dungeon crawlers. This steady beat accompanies you on your undersea adventures. So catchy it grows on you too. If the chiptune version alone can be like this, whatever a remix could do would make it even better. I mean, there's already a couple of them out there. I'm thinking a mix of Carribean and electronic sound would compliment the source material.[/COLLAPSE]

★ = Default track
* = Remix plausible

This has to be the most hipster tracklist I've ever done for this competition. Might as well stick a "PARENTAL ADVISORY - EXPLICIT CONTENT" badge for all the rules I bend!

General-Guy

Smash Cadet
Here is my list for Tortimer Island!
Tortimer Island:
1. Island Daytime/Island Minigame Medley
Game of Origin: Animal Crossing New Leaf
Comments: Confirmed
2. Kapp'n's Song
Game of Origin: Animal Crossing New Leaf
3. Animal Island
Game of Origin: Animal Crossing
Comments: A nice more calming tune that played in the Gamecube's island.
4. 2:00 AM
Comments: A more upbeat melody from Brawl. Fits pretty well for this stage.
5. Aloha K.K.
Game of Origin: Animal Crossing City Folk
Comments: Good to get some of K.K.'s music on this list, especially one so fitting as this one.
6. KK Bossa
Comments: One of the more popular KK songs.
7. Animal Crossing Title
Comments: Brawl's rendition of this classic title theme. A very iconic choice for this stage.
8. Summer Festival
Movie of Origin: The Animal Crossing Movie
Comments: I think we're allowed to have songs from movies right? Well anyway this song from the summer festival is nice and upbeat.

I'm also planning to do a Jungle Japes list later.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
LAST CHANCE TIME!

I'm about to close the round out. Anyone who still needs to get a tracklist in for Tortimer Island or Jungle Japes (or both), you don't have much time left....

General-Guy

Smash Cadet
Whew just made it!
Jungle Japes:
1. Jungle Japes
Game of Origin: Donkey Kong Country
2. Kongo Jungle
Game of Origin: Donkey Kong 64
3. Jungle Overworld
Game of Origin: Donkey Kong Country Returns
Comments: A catchy tune that plays on the stage select screen over the jungle world.
4. Mangrove Cove
Game of Origin: Dong Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Comments: A really great song that I love. I only wish there was a wii u DKC:TF stage that could play on it :/
5. Bramble Blast
Game of Origin: Donkey Kong Country 2
Comments: A popular song from Donkey Kong Country 2. Probably my favorite Donkey Kong song.
6. Barrel Blast Game of Origin: Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
Comments: Very upbeat song.
7. Kong Jungle N64
Games of Origin: Donkey Kong Country and 64 and Returns
Comments: A very well known song
8. Stickerbrush Symphony
Comments: The most popular DK song of all time, Stickerbrush Symphony! It does deserve the praise it gets.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Am I too late? Anyways here is my Tortimer Island tracklist with little to no reasoning provided because I ran out of time.

Tortimer Island:

Island (Day)/ Daytime Minigame
Game of Origin: New Leaf
Reason: Already confirmed

Kapp'n's Song
Reason: Already Confirmed

Re-Tail
Reason: I think it fits the island quite well to be honest and it originates from Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Animal Island
Reason: It is an island and sounds...like it belongs on an island. A great throwback to the original that must happen.

New Leaf Main Theme
Game of Origin: New Leaf of course
Reason: I don't even know why this needs to be explained...the definitive New Leaf song. It may not necessarily fit on an island but you can't leave this out and it adds diversity.

Aloha KK (Aircheck)
Reason: Islandy sounding KK tune on an island theme stage. Nuff said.

KK Island
Reason: It literally has island in the name so of course it sounds fit for an island.

Main Street (Builds to Main Street 2 and Main Street 3)
Reason: It is a relaxing song that I feel fits on an island inspired stage. A dynamic building affect would also be really cool for a piece of music on the island. Main Street is also an important part of New Leaf so...yeah, I'll admit I regret not having any Wild World songs but I found most of them to be ones carried over or ones that don't necessarily fit.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Saw this over on Serebii, looks like we'll be getting a Music part of the website at some point just like the Brawl Dojo.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Ah, got a few more entries in the last moments.... But alas....

ROUND SET!

Now it's time to get these track lists graded...

Saw this over on Serebii, looks like we'll be getting a Music part of the website at some point just like the Brawl Dojo.

ZOMG! SPOILERS! That's so uncool, dude! :p

Actually, I like that we'll get a music section, but as the game approaches, I'm getting more weary of spoilers myself. I don't know how much longer I should stay...

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
The Jungle Japes list has little to no explanation as well:

Jungle Japes
Reason: Confirmed

Kongo Jungle
Game of Origin: Donkey Kong 64
Reason: Confirmed (pretty much)

Stickerbrush Symphony
Reason: Fan favorite that NEEDS to return whether new rendition or whatever, it's just too popular. And of course, it fits the stage.

Aquatic Ambience
Reason: Another fan favorite that has been dying to make its Smash debut. Perfect for the stage considering the water below :troll:

Forest Interlude
Reason: A calming yet fitting song that is also quite popular...I see a pattern here. A nice calming song that adds diversity

Mining Melancholy
Reason: Another popular song that I was hesitant to add because it didn't really fit all that well in my opinion. Although I turned down Fear Factory for this reason I somehow found that Mining Melancholy made the track list diverse and with one the other wasn't necessarily needed since they fit the same niche.

Rockface Rumble
Game of Origin: Donkey Kong Country 3
Reason: It fits the stage bla bla bla

Gangplank Galleon
Reason: Popular and fits the stage yada yada yada.

EDIT: NOOOO, I was too slow. Grade it just for fun I guess :troll:

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Awww, here I thought I was going to win by default

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Grades are almost done, folks! Thank you for your patience and understanding.

On a side note, I played Jungle Japes on Melee while listening to all of your tracks, to get an accurate feel for how it'll sound in game. Authentic research, FTW! :p

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Psst...we just might be done with grading. You didn't hear it from me, though. =P

Wait, false alarm. Or is it...
Judges, this is what happens when you leave us to our own devices! We become crazed lunatics! :p

Anyway, the grades are done!

TORTIMER ISLAND

[collapse= BillyTheKidd's grades]
BridgesWithTurtles
Importance: 8/10 - Most of the songs chosen were important, but I felt some of them were only average, like 1PM and 12PM.
Popularity: 9/10 - Most of these songs are very known... Except 1PM.
Variety: 10/10 - There's a lot of good variety here!
Fit: 8/10 - Most of these suit well to the theme of the tropical island. But I felt the fireworks festival and 1PM didn't suit that well. The fireworks festival may have worked better if the island was set at night.
Total: 35/40

Captain Hotcakes
Importance: 7/10 - Quite a few of these songs have nothing to do with Animal Crossing. Splatoon hasn’t even been released yet! However, K.K.’s Tropical Blend was a nice blend of tropical sounding songs from Animal Crossing.
Popularity: 7/10 - There’s a lot of good Animal Crossing songs. But I’ve never even heard of GiFTPiA before.
Variety: 9/10 - All the songs are varied, however, it would be a bit better to include more songs from the island’s home series.
Fit: 7/10 - Most of the songs fit well. Splatoon’s theme works well, since it sounds like a lot like surf rock. The StarTopics unground was also a pretty good pick. GiFTPiA was an odd choice that left me scratching my head.
Total: 30/40

General Guy
Importance: 8/10 - You picked a good selection of songs from Animal Crossing. Summer Festival even represents the movie, but I felt the song was a just little too short to be really important.
Popularity: 9/10 - All these songs are quite popular, including the ever favorite 2 AM. However, the 1PM theme didn’t quite make it to a perfect 10.
Variety: 10/10 - There’s some great variety here. The old favorites and the nice tropical songs balance out nicely!
Fit: 9/10 - Almost all the songs fit very well, especially the Summer Festival. However, the main theme from Brawl just didn’t work out as that song is usually associated with the town.
Total: 36/40

FirstBlade
Importance: 7/10 - Several songs were notable, but Re-Tail and Main Street feel generic.
Popularity: 8/10 - a good selection of memorable tunes, except the generic ones I mentioned before.
Variety: 8/10 - You put together a pretty varied setlist.
Fit: 7/10 - Most of the songs fit to the island's theme, but Main Street and Re-Tail didn't really work out.
Total: 30/40
[/collapse]

FirstBlade
Importance: 9/10
Popularity: 9/10
Variety: 8/10
Fit: 9/10
The Main Street Medley was a good idea, but I don't think it really works for an island setting. Re-Tail is nice, but it's not as popular a song as it could be. For Variety, I like that you went with more than just New Leaf, but you only really went towards songs from the GC game, and one of the songs you had (KK Island) was a different arrangement of a second (Animal Island). Additionally, one of the songs used in Brawl from Wild World wouldn't hurt.
:4villager::4villager::4villager::4villager:
BridgesWithTurtles
Popularity: 10/10
Variety: 10/10
Total: 38/40
Island Shop is a plus, and good call on 1 PM. 12 PM works surprising wonders, and I love that you used the Fireworks Festival, though I don't entirely see how it fits <sorry>. If anything else, it would've been good to add in a Brawl-mixed WW song or two.
CaptainHotcakes
Importance: 8/10
Fit: 7/10
I would've deducted points for using the original 2 AM instead of the Brawl mix for being more for nighttime instead of this daytime stage, but it fits anyway with the slower pace of the island compared to the town. the GiFTPiA theme has the right kind of bounciness to it, but it would definitely be better fit for a Mother/EarthBound or Wario stage. The songs from StarTropics and Splatoon have a similar issue, being more at home on a more action-y stage. That said, the rest of the CST hits their correct marks, and the 3 out-of-series tracks definitely bolster your Variety rating.
General-Guy
Total: 37/40
Clearing the elephant in the room with this one now: using a song from the movie is what kept your Importance and Popularity ratings from perfect 10s. Using the Live version of KK Bossa was a bold choice, and it payed off for your Fit rating, but it did take a blow from your Popularity rating. That you used 2 Brawl songs is also good, as were Aloha KK and Animal Island

[collapse=Ascended grades]
BridgesWithTurtles:
Importance: 7/10
Popularity: 8/10
Total: 32/40
Comments: Lots of nice island-y music to pick from here, but I would have liked more iconic songs for this list.

Captain Hotcakes:
Importance: 6/10
Variety: 9/10
Fit: 8/10
Total: 31/40
Comments: I like the outside of the box picks, and I think the Animal Crossing tunes are good. Not much else to say other than that.

General-Guy:
Importance: 8/10
Total: 32/40
Comments: I think a song from the movie is an interesting choice. I like that you put the Brawl version of the title theme in there.

FirstBlade:
Importance: 9
Popularity: 8
Variety: 8
Fit: 8
Total: 33/40
Comments: Another solid all-around list. I like the use of the New Leaf main theme and the Main Street theme.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Jumpman84's grades...]

BridgesWithTurtles
Popularity: 9
Variety: 9
Fit: 10
Total: 37

Comments: Well, you have the two tracks that we know about, that's good. Animal Island just has a certain charm to it and I think it'd make a great track. Aloha K.K. is a soothing track and the aircheck seems to fit better than the live version. The hourly musics seem okay. However, I'm sorry to say that Island Shop seems to just be a remix of Island (Day). It would have worked better as part of your medley idea. Fireworks is a wonderful addition, in my opinion.

Overall, the list is great. It does lean a bit too heavily towards New Leaf, though that's understandable. There is also no past Brawl tracks in your
tracklist and I think you could have made room for at least one. Those are minor issues and I think this tracklist could stand on its own in the game.

Captain Hotcakes
Popularity: 8
Fit: 9
Total: 35

Comments: Well, you have the two tracks that we know about and you chose them as the defaults. Always a good plan. The 1PM track from the original is a very good choice (the kitten noises make the track, lol). While I understand your reasoning for choosing the original, I think the Brawl version of 2am is a better fit, sorry. The medley is a great concept, however.

Now for your non-AC tracks... Having one is certainly good for variety, but three is a bit much. Nevertheless, the Giftpia track took me by surprise. It's pretty dang catchy and is definitely an off the wall track I could see Sakurai using. The StarTropics track is decent and could do well with a remix. I'm afraid that you lose me at Splatoon. I just don't think it works on this stage at all. In addition, as a Wii U title, it's theme should be on a stage in the Wii U version of Smash.

Your list does cover the AC franchise nicely, but there are no past Brawl tracks on your list. (Ironically, having the Brawl version of 2am would have helped here. :p ) Still a very nice list and very impressive finds within the time limit. Tortimer has a nice shiny medal waiting for you!

General-Guy
Importance: 10
Variety: 10
Fit: 10
Total: 39

Comments: Well, you have the two tracks that we know about, that's good. You also have Animal Island and Aloha K.K., which are good as well. What's this? Ah, you have the Brawl version of 2am, always a plus. Next up... the Animal Crossing title from Brawl! I'm surprised this track hasn't come up yet, I think it's a good fit. K.K. Bossa seems like a soothing enough theme for this stage.

As for Summer Festival, it's actually a rendition of Fireworks Festival from Wild World/City Folk! Have a listen....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMqBTHiQpQ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR3rlrbA7is

I told you guys the music from this movie was remixed game themes! In any case, I think this rendition would do nicely, though the City Folk version is nice, too.

Overall, I can't find much wrong with this list. Consider me notably impressed!

FirstBlade
Total: 36

Comments: Well, you have the two tracks that we know about, that's good. You also have Animal Island and Aloha K.K. (seems that these two are popular picks). I agree that Re-Tail seems particularly fitting with this stage. The New Leaf Main theme, finally! Like the Animal Crossing title, I thought this was a track that made sense on this stage and wondering why no one had put it on their list. I really think it's good for this stage. I dig K.K. Island, but it's another rendition of Animal Island, causing a hit to your variety. The Main Street themes fit nicely, though.

Now, as you mentioned, there is no Wild World representation. In addition, there are no past Brawl tracks on your list. You were heavy on New Leaf stuff and I think making a swap for one of those would have made your list perfect. Still, overall I like the list as it's pretty good and had some unique choices. Good job!
[/collapse]

FINAL TALLY
BridgesWithTurtles - 142
Captain Hotcakes - 131
General-Guy - 144
FirstBlade - 134

THE TORTIMER ISLAND WINNER IS.... GENERAL-GUY!!!

Congratulations on winning this round! We would update the wall, but it's a bit behind still. We'll remember and cherish your victory, though! :)

JUNGLE JAPES

PLATINUM7
Importance: 10/10
Big Top Bop makes your Fit rating take a dip, as does Wizpig Challenge <I love that you thought to use a song from Diddy Kong Racing, though.> The Donkey Kong Country Theme struck gold, and Bramble Blast is a good choice, too. Bad Boss Boogie was surprising, but it's a good fit and keeps up the theme of this stage being in the 3DS version. Wizpig Challenge also took a bit off of Popularity, but this was a good CST all around.
:4dk::4diddy::4dk::4diddy:
General-Guy
Popularity: 10/10
Fit: 10/10
I LOVE THAT YOU USED SMASH 64'S KONG JUNGLE! <Ahem.> Using both Brawl's and DKC 2's versions of Stickerbrush Symphony/Bramble Blast was neat, but it hit your Variety, as did Kong Jungle SSB 64. On the bright side, your other carryovers from Brawl were smart, and the 2 songs from the new games were a brilliant move <especially the DKC Returns Map>.
:4dk::4diddy::4dk::4diddy:
FirstBlade
Aquatic Ambience is popular indeed, but it doesn't necessarily fit this particular stage. Using the original Stickerbrush Symphony instead of Brawl's Bramble Blast is a shock, but was good for variety due to not doubling down on songs, same goes for Gangplank Galleon. Rockface Rumble and Mining Melancholy are nice, if weird, additions.

[collapse=Ascended's grades]
PLATINUM7:
Variety: 9/10
Comments: Great list! I like that you've got major Donkey Kong songs, and I loved your boss track selections! You've also got a wide variety of games that you pulled songs from, so good job!

General-Guy:
Importance: 10
Popularity: 10
Variety: 8
Comments: My only complaint here is there seem to be multiple versions of the same song on this list, but otherwise it's a really strong list.

FirstBlade:
Comments: Just a solid, all-around list. Lots of great choices that wold be fun to hear and listen to on this stage.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Jumpman84's Jungle Grades]

PLATINUM7
Vairety: 10
Total: 38

Comments: The two Jungle Japes tracks are on here, as expected. Interesting using Bramble Blast here, I love it. The DKC remix of the Donkey Kong title theme fits really well, too. Krazy Kart really sound great to Smash too. I hope it gets in somehow. Wizpig is an odd choice, going outside the main series, but it has its own charm and fits quite nicely. Bad Boss Boogie makes for a good DK Land rep. I'm afraid I can't get behind Big Top Bop. It's a good song, but the metal clashes with the stage too much. Plus as it's a Wii U title, it should be used for a Wii U stage.

There's plenty of variety in the stage and good Smash representation all around. I'd be pretty happy with a list like this.

General-Guy
Total: 37

Comments: The two Jungle Japes tracks are on here, as expected. The Jungle Overworld is a remix of DKC's Map, featured in Brawl. It works nicely here and I would love to see it stand on its own. Brawl's Bramble Blast is great on this stage, as would be Barrel Blast's theme. Kongo Jungle 64 is a nice throwback to the original Smash and is greatly appreciated. Stickerbrush Symphony is great, but you already have a rendition of it on your list (Bramble Blast). Mangrove Cove is fantastic, but it's from a Wii U game, so it should go on a Wii U stage.

Variety was good, but a DK Land song would have helped with that. Other than these problems, it's a pretty darn good list and I'm glad you made it!

FirstBlade
Total: 36

Comments: The two Jungle Japes tracks are on here, as expected. Stickerbrush Symphony is very well known and has shown up on every list thus far. Aquatic Ambience is a soothing piece and could work. Forest Interlude is also a good track. Mining Melancholy wouldn't be my first choice for this stage, but it works well enough. A DKC3 track! I'm surprised no one else had one in their list! I'm not convinced that it fits all to well, but it does provide some diversity. I don't think Gang-Plank Galleon works here, though.

Your list is full of classic DKC goodness, but it seems like it's too much. A track from Returns or the Land games would have helped your score. There were also no Brawl tracks, either, and having one would have boosted your score as well. Still a good list, I definitely had fun grading it...
[/collapse]

PLATINUM7
Importance: 9/10 - There's a lot of songs that are well known from the DK series. A few songs were a little of the generic side, though.
Popularity: 9/10 - The ever favorite Bramble Blast can't be dropped, and a Big Top Bop is a new favorite. But Krazy Kart held you back.
Variety: 10/10 - All the songs are varied,espeically Big Top Bop.
Fit: 8/10 - Almost all the songs fit well. Wizpig's theme and Big Top Bop didn't deally fit to the jungle theme, though.

General-Guy
Importance: 10/10 - All these songs represent a different game, and are important songs to the games they represent.
Popularity: 9/10 - Some of the most popular DK songs are here!
Variety: 9/10 - Despite being remixed, Bramble Blast is still Stickerbrush Symphony. Other than that, the songs are varied!
Fit: 10/10 - All of the songs fit well to the stage's theme.

FirstBlade:
Importance: 9/10 - There's a lot of important songs here, but Forest Interlude held you back.
Popularity:10/10 - The fan favorites, Bramble Blast, Aquatic Ambience, and Gangplank Galleon are all here.
Variety: 10/10 - A lot of good variety from DK's music library.
Fit: 8/10 - Despite the legendary status of Aquatic Ambience, it was just a little bit chill for a fighting game. Mining Melancholy also didn't quite fit, either.

FINAL TALLY
Platinum7 - 148
General-Guy - 150
FirstBlade - 147

THE JUNGLE JAPES WINNER IS... CRANKY KONG!

Just messing with you! :troll: It's actually... GENERAL-GUY!

Wow, two in a row! Double congrats, man! It was really close, but you managed to secure another win!!

-----------------

Okay, folks. You'll have some time among yourselves to discuss the results while the next stage is prepared.

However, there is an announcement: I'll be stepping down as a judge. Almost getting spoiled by a leaked roster image on the front page of Smashboards (seriously, what the heck, admins?), it appears that I'll have to take my leave of Smashboards and the internet in general. The other three judges are great guys and I'm sure they'll do great with the future rounds. I'll be back after I get the roster unlocked. Until then, you guys have been great. Catch ya on the other side....

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I feel I did pretty good and I'm quite happy with my score. Congrats to General Guy for winning!

LF2K

Floor Diver
Congrats, General Guy! Now that Tortimer Island's wrap up, some actual music has emerged.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Ah, the contest is up and running again. Well, I might enter in a future contest as a participant again. Congrats to General Guy. Looks like your tank blew away the others. :p

Top Bottom