• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brawl UK Social Thread

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I dunno man I can only jam and chat mad levels of **** with Willz, so if he doesn't go I'll be like HMM.

True story.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Can someone please give me directions as to which station one should go to if they're from outside of London?

There's so many 'London' stations I have no idea which one you are supposed to be looking at for your 'To' destination lol

I'm not asking like, how to buy train tickets or anything but the Travel info is very unhelpful for someone who doesn't travel much and hasn't ever been to London (via train) before

"Central Line (eastbound) get to Gants Hill (Hainault via newbury park train)"
Sorry if I sound stupid but I don't get what that means at all. Typing any of those destinations into 'From' and 'To' results in nothing minus Newbury Park (which I assume is the underground one?). Where do I want to be? Central Line? Gants Hill? Hainault? Newbury Park train? (is this Newbury Park underground?) I have no idea how the underground works in London so if it involves any of that, its way over my head

Travel is a huge stress/barrier for me and I would appreciate some clearer instructions on how to actually get to the part of the '128' bus (what are the times for this in general?) because for someone who is used to only very simple train transport (going back and forth between the same couple of stations in a linear fashion), this is all very confusing indeed :embarrass:

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
"Central Line (eastbound) get to Gants Hill (Hainault via newbury park train)"
Sorry if I sound stupid but I don't get what that means at all. Typing any of those destinations into 'From' and 'To' results in nothing minus Newbury Park (which I assume is the underground one?). Where do I want to be? Central Line? Gants Hill? Hainault? Newbury Park train? (is this Newbury Park underground?) I have no idea how the underground works in London so if it involves any of that, its way over my head
Basically, London Underground is made up of several different train services, otherwise known as 'train lines'. These lines all have different routes that go to different destinations.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf - the underground map (each line is colour coded, the central line in this picture is the red line).

www.tfl.gov.uk - use this for travel directions in London.

You don't want to go to Hainult nor do you want to go to Newbury Park. What you want to do is take the central line train with the destination labelled 'Hainult via Newbury Park' ('Woodford via Hainult' also works) to a stop called Gants Hill.

Travel is a huge stress/barrier for me and I would appreciate some clearer instructions on how to actually get to the part of the '128' bus (what are the times for this in general?) because for someone who is used to only very simple train transport (going back and forth between the same couple of stations in a linear fashion), this is all very confusing indeed :embarrass:
128 buses come every 10-12 minutes or so.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Ok but which bit of London do I want to actually arrive at before getting to the underground? Which train station in London would I need to arrive at?

For example, if I wanted to go from Leeds to York, I'd just go to Leeds station, get the train (and any other trains at various changes if needs be) and end up in York station
There's like, 10 London 'stations' lol

How would you then get to the underground from whichever station you get off at?

Jolteon

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Ok but which bit of London do I want to actually arrive at before getting to the underground? Which train station in London would I need to arrive at?

For example, if I wanted to go from Leeds to York, I'd just go to Leeds station, get the train (and any other trains at various changes if needs be) and end up in York station
There's like, 10 London 'stations' lol

How would you then get to the underground from whichever station you get off at?
You'd have to arrive at an underground station that also runs overground trains (e.g. Euston, Waterloo, Victoria), where do you live?

These stations have signs in them which should guide you to whatever underground service you want to use.

Jolteon

At York Uni but live in Leeds area, I can manage simple train travel

Sooooo I'd have to get a train to one of the London stations and then go on the underground which is at the same station?
Take the train from Leeds to King's Cross, from there take a Piccadilly line (blue line) train that goes towards Heathrow, but get off at Holborn, then from there you can take a central line train to Gant's Hill.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Ok cool, thanks :)

Edit: Holy cow, £123 for a return from Leeds to King's Cross?
:cry:
I knew there was another flaw in this that wasn't travel (although related) lol

I would recommend that you put all that stuff you told me (replacing Leeds for any other station) in the Travel info section cause it was all good stuff. The current travel info has baffled me for a while, mainly because I don't live in London so I wasn't sure how and where to actually go in the first place and I have no idea how the underground system works either so that got me confused too

Teh-Shlurpie

Smash Journeyman

I would recommend that you put all that stuff you told me (replacing Leeds for any other station) in the Travel info section cause it was all good stuff. The current travel info has baffled me for a while, mainly because I don't live in London so I wasn't sure how and where to actually go in the first place and I have no idea how the underground system works either so that got me confused too
£123 return? that aint right

try looking around on other websites or much further ahead of time :p

Calzorz

Smash Lord

123 to get to the tourny? no iv traevld from s****horpe which is further than leeds many times for £10-20

megabus.com
nationalexpress.com

B.Mack

Smash Ace
www.thetrainline.com
^its too pro.
its only gonna be £123 if you book a first class ticket on the same day ffs. off-peak single/return wouldnt be anywhere NEAR that much.
If anyone has date preferences please speak up now bcos so far GP and MTR can only make the 27th and everyone else doesnt mind.

RyuKen!

Smash Apprentice
since this event is on the road, is anyone interested in the return of the NW gamerbase ranbats? if so i may be able to start one in January time.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Lol I got rid of the 1st class option straight away, I think the problem was that I was looking at very early morning times + I didn't add my railcard properly. Knew something wasn't right when it was over £100 lol silly me. Seems like its cheaper to get 2 singles which add up to about £30 rather than a return which seems stuck at £55 (or am I still doing it wrong?)

Calz where do you stay when you go down to London? Any decent/cheap hotels nearby the venue?

Edit:

I could get a £8 return to London from Leeds via coach.
Forgot about coach...lol I'm so bad at this

since this event is on the road, is anyone interested in the return of the NW gamerbase ranbats? if so i may be able to start one in January time.
I would definitely be up for anything NW if other people were

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
You might be able to get housing, il put you down for needing housing.

ALSO THE DATE HAS CHANGED TO THE 27TH OF NOVEMBER!!!!!!!!

Calzorz

Smash Lord
Lol I got rid of the 1st class option straight away, I think the problem was that I was looking at very early morning times + I didn't add my railcard properly. Knew something wasn't right when it was over £100 lol silly me. Seems like its cheaper to get 2 singles which add up to about £30 rather than a return which seems stuck at £55 (or am I still doing it wrong?)

Calz where do you stay when you go down to London? Any decent/cheap hotels nearby the venue?

Edit:

Forgot about coach...lol I'm so bad at this

I would definitely be up for anything NW if other people were
smashers normally house me im sure i can get you housing if you wanted , dont know about any cheap hotels , but smashers wil let u stay free so saves u some money

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I'd rather not cause anyone any bother by crashing at there's - I don't even know any of you! I mean its very kind but...odd at the same time if you get me

How long do coaches take in comparison to trains? I'm much more familiar with trains than I am with coaches (although I assume they're not too tricky to cope with lol). How does everyone else who isn't in London get down there?

Calzorz

Smash Lord
I'd rather not cause anyone any bother by crashing at there's - I don't even know any of you! I mean its very kind but...odd at the same time if you get me

How long do coaches take in comparison to trains? I'm much more familiar with trains than I am with coaches (although I assume they're not too tricky to cope with lol). How does everyone else who isn't in London get down there?
i use to get coaches but then i started to hate the 5-6 hour jounrey on it from s****horpe so i now get train which is more comfortable nearly as cheap and takes 4 hours ish , and u dont know any of them but u will get to know them at the tourny + im sure there wil be like 3 or 4 of them at some ppls houses so it wont be as awkward when uv never met any1 lol

It really does depend on location. Checking out national express is a really good way to get started, you can check times without having to purchase anything so it's all good. I can tell you however that the price difference is worth the extra hours you spend. Just bring out a game or something on the coach, seriously kills time.

Jolteon

It really shouldn't cost that much, but if you're not having any luck with the website bmack posted then try booking a coach to London Victoria.

It'd be cool if you guys hosted again but Gamerbase does have its issues, finishing at 6pm sucked ***, can't you find any other venue?

It really does depend on location. Checking out national express is a really good way to get started, you can check times without having to purchase anything so it's all good. I can tell you however that the price difference is worth the extra hours you spend. Just bring out a game or something on the coach, seriously kills time.
This lol, just sleep if you must, in the end you can save good money sometimes.

K.Mac

Smash Lord
This lol, just sleep if you must, in the end you can save good money sometimes.
^ this.

How much does it cost to get from Leeds to Meadowhall? I know that coaches suck but the coach I used to get (with Andy and Calz) is £10 return to London Victoria ... costs me £15 to get from scunny to meadowhall and back, so overall £25.

So that might be an option, though going with Calz and Andy is always the best thing to do, since they know their way around London and can keep you company and stuff :p

Oh, and you'll likely be buying day-travel cards around London, they cost like £5 but they get you pretty much anywhere, so bear that in mind.

RyuKen!

Smash Apprentice
@ jolteon, if gamerbase isn't good enough then i will scrap it and look into different venues if people think this is the right choice

B.Mack

Smash Ace
omfg, if Ryuken comes I will **** myself.
MTR, ur a *** for flaking after making us change the date.
if theres a NW event I probably wouldnt mind going up for a few games, but it has to be late january or early february... and thats when CRZ's tourney is (apparently) meant to be so... yeah.

cong

Smash Journeyman
should change the title to say the monthly date, doubt everyone will read the post, where as the title pretty much everyone will see the title if they come in the regional zones

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Wait Mike isnt coming now? And Cong just come its a 1-day thingy, if not for brawl then for the social side of it, you need a break from Black Ops you've been spammin it all week.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yeah, plus i need to give that diddy a game. its too good XP
should be coming, athough for cheaper travel i might need to stay at someone's on saturday night

The_Rake

Smash Lord
omfg, if Ryuken comes I will **** myself.
MTR, ur a *** for flaking after making us change the date.
if theres a NW event I probably wouldnt mind going up for a few games, but it has to be late january or early february... and thats when CRZ's tourney is (apparently) meant to be so... yeah.
Wait Mike isnt coming now? And Cong just come its a 1-day thingy, if not for brawl then for the social side of it, you need a break from Black Ops you've been spammin it all week.
i never said i was 100% rather which date would be best, but i have numerous things to sort out around that date such as MOT and practices forchristmas stuff which i may not be a part of if i cant get shifts changed

Ramzeh

Smash Ace

Ramzeh

Smash Ace
as i said at the bottom of my post, i may come if marni is up for it.
i'm not really up for travelling by myself =|

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Ohh sorry didnt see that lol. Get him to come man, u guys gotta come, get Brado and Calzum down here also.

Top Bottom