• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brawl Icon Discovery

vinternet

Smash Cadet
I just noticed how few series' they added from 64 to melee. Maybe we shouldn't expect anymore than 3 additional franchises.
Too late, we already have Animal Crossing, DS, Metal Gear, Sonic, Wario, Kid Icarus, and most likely another third-party franchise. That's seven new.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Too late, we already have Animal Crossing, DS, Metal Gear, Sonic, Wario, Kid Icarus, and most likely another third-party franchise. That's seven new.
I think he was talking about an additional three to the 7 we already have now.

EDIT:
Well, 6 and one unknown. Also, yea, there is a good chance for a third 3rd Party guest.

So I guess we're at 9 new series so far?

Boofer

Smash Ace
Why? Melee was rushed. Brawl has been in development for years. We could get so many franchises in on this.
Yeah, but we already have so many. I just don't see him adding like 6 more franchises, though it would be great. Many of the characters people suggest seem like they could make fine assist trophies...I guess maybe I'm trying to lower my expectations so I won't be disappointed.

citigroup06

Smash Cadet
What does the theory say about Gannondorf or other Pokemon characters? I'm just curious. I've tried to follow the Icon theory but there's so many different people with their own variations of the theory... I don't believe it or doubt. Someone's yet to prove it's relavance to me.

citigroup06

Smash Cadet
Yeah, but we already have so many. I just don't see him adding like 6 more franchises, though it would be great. Many of the characters people suggest seem like they could make fine assist trophies...I guess maybe I'm trying to lower my expectations so I won't be disappointed.
LOL:laugh: That's a good thing to do. But this is a major Nintendo title, I highly doubt there will be any disappointment. Sure, Melee was rushed but This game has so many new franchises. The only thing that would be a disappointment to me would be a short game. There's so much.

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
What does the theory say about Gannondorf or other Pokemon characters? I'm just curious. I've tried to follow the Icon theory but there's so many different people with their own variations of the theory... I don't believe it or doubt. Someone's yet to prove it's relavance to me.
The icons don't say anything about Ganon or other Pokemon, as they're already part of a series that has had it's icon revealed already. This really only helps with completely new series. However, seeing as we don't know the order, it's hard to tell exactly what will appear.

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this has been brought up before, because, clearly, I didn't read through 76 pages, but, we now know that icon 13 is a spacehold for Game&Watch, so basicly, I just don't see another reason for another gap, 19 has to be a spaceholder as well, but then again, the Brawl franchises don't seem to have any order at all, so why spacehold there?
In short, the main question we need to answer is why the spaceholder-19 is needed, and not what the order is(Even though that'll help alot too).

Again, sorry if this has been disscussed already ><

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I don't know if this has been brought up before, because, clearly, I didn't read through 76 pages, but, we now know that icon 13 is a spacehold for Game&Watch, so basicly, I just don't see another reason for another gap, 19 has to be a spaceholder as well, but then again, the Brawl franchises don't seem to have any order at all, so why spacehold there?
In short, the main question we need to answer is why the spaceholder-19 is needed, and not what the order is(Even though that'll help alot too).

Again, sorry if this has been disscussed already ><
Please don't say we know that beause of the DK music......

I'm not doubting G+W to return, but I don't think that there's any proof saying he will or will not.

citigroup06

Smash Cadet

I'm not doubting G+W to return, but I don't think that there's any proof saying he will or will not.
Exactly! I'm so tired of hearing people claim something like it's fact. Like how people said, All of the original smashers from the first game will make a return. That's already been canceled out. They announced, on Lucas' special moves list that Ness was in every Smash Bros. up until now. WARNING: THIS IS A DIRECT QUOTE - "There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar. They are from the same family of PK users." Doesn't that tell us that Ness has been removed? :( That sucks...

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Are you referring to character representation or just in general? We still don't know about an Animal Crossing character. The Animal Crossing characters are seen in Smashville already, and I seriously doubt we'll be getting a "Nintendo DS character". I believe that those two icons are there solely for the stages and that stages and characters are the only noteworthy materials that get icons of their franchises. Everything else gets the Smash icon if their franchise isn't represented by a stage or character.

Aside from that, this theory is based on facts, but the facts are lead to an opinion. Nothing is concrete until it's been made public officially. So stating that, Sakurai did pull a fast one and barely informed us of the Arrangement Supervisor for DK's music, so it could also be the same case for icons.

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
They announced, on Lucas' special moves list that Ness was in every Smash Bros. up until now. WARNING: THIS IS A DIRECT QUOTE - "There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar.".
I would normally take that as fact, except for the crucial fact that none of the other sites (including the Japanese one, the important one) have that "until now" statement. Only the English. But that's straying from the point.

Are you referring to character representation or just in general? We still don't know about an Animal Crossing character. The Animal Crossing characters are seen in Smashville already, and I seriously doubt we'll be getting a "Nintendo DS character". I believe that those two icons are there solely for the stages and that stages and characters are the only noteworthy materials that get icons of their franchises.
I'm quite prepared to accept Stage-only icons. However, it just seems odd to me that AC is slapped in the middle of the Ice Climber and Wario icons, both of which are playable characters. As you said, though, that's only my opinion.

citigroup06

Smash Cadet
I would normally take that as fact, except for the crucial fact that none of the other sites (including the Japanese one, the important one) have that "until now" statement. Only the English. But that's straying from the point.
Well, of coarse. That's a statement from an official source. You have no choice but to take it as a fact. But I was talking about Mr G&W's triumphant return. People are claiming it to be fact because of #13's empty space. I don't get it. People are also claiming that a DS or Animal Crossing character will be playable like it's factual. This is only my opinion but I think this whole icon theory is getting more worked up and more twisted as time progresses. It's almost like "what he say she said." Things are getting twisted and people are trying to develope these formulas to calculate a character's appearance in this game. The bad thing is that each theory seems to be based on the person's personality. Like i've said before, nobody's proven this theory's or theories' validity. It's all just hype to me. It's very entertaining to me though:laugh:

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice

No, no, I'm referring to the Smash64>Melee>Brawl ordering theory.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Wrong. The Japanese site clearly uses the term "Ima made," which means literally "Until this point in time." "Made" is the opposite of "Kara," which means "From." You use them together to denote the beginning and end of something. So "San-nen mai kara ima made" would mean "From three years ago until now."

Basically, "Ima Made" denotes that Made, now, is the end of Ness' reign. He's not coming back.

Byron X

Smash Journeyman
seriously byronX, why the hell are you defending someone who has made rediculous claims about one of your brawl hopefuls being in with no proof?

Xerroo, u may be on to something buddy boy.....
Xerroo I have to admit your comment made me lol for real. XD

Don't get me started on you Bluebomber22 OMG, you asked him to ask his contact about Megaman and he gave you an answer, now you don't believe him anymore. Do you want me to dig up the Sonic thread and show you if you don't remember?:)

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
Wrong. The Japanese site clearly uses the term "Ima made," which means literally "Until this point in time." "Made" is the opposite of "Kara," which means "From." You use them together to denote the beginning and end of something. So "San-nen mai kara ima made" would mean "From three years ago until now."

Basically, "Ima Made" denotes that Made, now, is the end of Ness' reign. He's not coming back.
That's not how I was informed. :ohwell:

If that's the case, I'll gladly say goodbye to Ness.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Question about the icon theory: When do you think the creators created the list of icons for the first smash game? If that list/order was created with the first game, then I have no complaints, but what if that order was created during the melee era (or even the brawl era)? If that's the case, then why would he switch from an order based on characters to one based on franchises? That makes no sense.

Do you see what I'm saying? If he created both "orders" at the same time then there's no reason to change the basis of the order.

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
Oh, hey, it's you again. :laugh:

I answered this in that other topic we were debating in. You're probably gone now, though. :(

Boofer

Smash Ace
Oh, hey, it's you again. :laugh:

I answered this in that other topic we were debating in. You're probably gone now, though. :(
LOL. I'm still here. I replied to your topic and I agreed with you (for the most part). I came here to confront Dyce himself.

Froilen

Smash Apprentice
Of course, there is no X stage in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but this time, the songs in Smash Bros. aren’t limited only to those series represented by characters and stages. We’ve pulled some that are from completely unrelated games.
How this afect the teory for the stages without rep.? see the music don´t have an "X" or so icon... and Sakurai mentionend that it dont have a REP... but did´nt do that with pico-chat and smashville hu?:psycho::psycho::psycho:

Onichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
OniXiion
How this afect the teory for the stages without rep.? see the music don´t have an "X" or so icon... and Sakurai mentionend that it dont have a REP... but did´nt do that with pico-chat and smashville hu?:psycho::psycho::psycho:
Since the Icon Theory only referes to Character/Item/Stage Representation, it doesn't nessesarily apply to music.

Pico-chat and Smashville have their own icons, and in the case of Animal Crossing rep, there is also the item Pitfall, that is their franchises representation to this point, and why he didn't mention anything about representation because they already are.

And we all know Sakurai is a retro fan, thus the more classic game references the better.

Smash Ace
Logical fallacy! "S does is not have an icon -> S does not have a rep" is not logically equivalent to "S has an icon -> S has a rep" (for some series S).

I'm not sure that I'm even comfortable with the hypothesis. It is true that X does not have an icon and that X does not have a representative, but the best we can say is that series that are only in SSBB in some minor capacity don't have icons.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
Don't get me started on you Bluebomber22 OMG, you asked him to ask his contact about Megaman and he gave you an answer, now you don't believe him anymore. Do you want me to dig up the Sonic thread and show you if you don't remember?:)
yeah i did ask him. that doesnt mean i believed him. Even if he said mega man was in, i'd still take it with a grain of salt. You'd have to be a moron to believe someone on the internet with no proof.

Zenigame

Smash Apprentice
How so? "X" didn't get an icon. The update states that songs don't have to be related to characters/stages, NOT that icons don't have to be related to characters/stages.

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
How exactly does it "disprove" this? If anything, it confirmed exactly what we thought. We said icons were only made for characters/stages, and, in Sakurai's own words:

Sakurai said:
Of course, there is no X stage in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but this time, the songs in Smash Bros. aren’t limited only to those series represented by characters and stages. We’ve taken some that are from completely unrelated games..
And what do you know, "X" has no icon.

Top Bottom