• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brawl Icon Discovery

Neo-X

Smash Journeyman
I think the whole icon theory is debunked with the revelation of the Picto Chat stage, and icon number..21, is it? It makes no sense. And what about G&W's spot? I doubt he's returning, so then what about it? It's all too confusing....

Repryx

Smash Champion
"Englisized Japanese"

I dont Understand your old person Lingo lolz no JK My lil God Brother had to read it 3 times and do some math b4 he got the whole thing.

103 days till brawl....ugh

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
I think the whole icon theory is debunked with the revelation of the Picto Chat stage, and icon number..21, is it? It makes no sense. And what about G&W's spot? I doubt he's returning, so then what about it? It's all too confusing....
Wow, you didn't read anything I posted on the previous page. The ORIGINAL and still valid icon "theory" is that the icons are arranged so that the first ones are series that originated in 64, the next ones originated in Melee, and every one after 14 originated in Brawl. The DS icon originated in Brawl, and therefore does not debunk the original theory.

The original theory gives support to G&W's return.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Dyce, how does the Battlefield stage icon figure into the alphabetical part of the icon theory?

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Dyce, how does the Battlefield stage icon figure into the alphabetical part of the icon theory?
1. The icon is for the title of the series in "Englisized Japanese" is "Dairanto Sumasshu Burazaza". It is alphabetically the first possible series. (The next closest is "Donki Kongu")

2. The icon is for the title of the series. Period. (I'm willing to bet that even if the game was titled "Zuper Zmash Bros", it would still be first in line.)

3. Click the link and read the post in my sig.

Repryx

Smash Champion
Yeah I Am Still A Minor So THAT My Friend is a Trap...but in Trapping me you have Trapped yourself in Loads of Debt...I listen to the Aquatic Ruins Song As I type this...Dyce...Do you want a tip 4 your Icon theory? as in Money

*ITS A TRAP*

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I think that King DeDeDe should have his own logo/icon. Or better yet, his own series!

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Yeah I Am Still A Minor So THAT My Friend is a Trap...but in Trapping me you have Trapped yourself in Loads of Debt...I listen to the Aquatic Ruins Song As I type this...Dyce...Do you want a tip 4 your Icon theory? as in Money

*ITS A TRAP*
Yes please. Money would be loverly!

I think that King DeDeDe should have his own logo/icon. Or better yet, his own series!
Funny that you mention that. Because I was thinking the other day how it isn't fair that Meta Knight, even though he shares a series with two other characters, and he's not even the main character, gets his own metaled-out version of the victory song. What's the deal with that? I want every character to have their own personalized victory tune now!

Repryx

Smash Champion
Eww How would that be??? Dedede Needs Kirby 4 Screentime...

Jetix-"Dedede You Want your own Show?"

General Ackbar-"It's A TRAP"

Dedede-"Yeah sure Why not"

Two Days L8ter

Kirby-"WHERES MY PHOOKIN MONEY DEDEDE ME AN META ARE TIRED OF THIS SHIZZ"

Dedede-"Im Sorry I just wanted to venture out on my Own for a bit"

Meta-"We will Collect at the Smash Tourney..."

Dedede Enters the tourney to pay off debt and buy his way out of a contract

Dyce I got it in my pocket but...My Athritis....Why dont you reach in there and fish it out 4 yourself

Tyeforce

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this is really old. I noticed this as well. It's known as the "World Icon Theory". It pretty much confirms Game & Watch, as well as two new series. (I'm betting one is Pikmin.)

Zek

Smash Ace
Wow, this is really old. I noticed this as well. It's known as the "World Icon Theory". It pretty much confirms Game & Watch, as well as two new series. (I'm betting one is Pikmin.)
One new series. Possibly more in 22+.

And Dyce, have you thought of any good explanation for why Metroid is the sole exception to the entire ordering rule of the list? Do you think they just didn't notice, or what? And why did they change how they organized the list for Brawl? Rather than a theory that was tailor-made for the icons already present, I want an explanation for why a rational human being would actually implement it that way.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master

And Dyce, have you thought of any good explanation for why Metroid is the sole exception to the entire ordering rule of the list? Do you think they just didn't notice, or what? And why did they change how they organized the list for Brawl? Rather than a theory that was tailor-made for the icons already present, I want an explanation for why a rational human being would actually implement it that way.
I have no explanation for why "Metroid" is in place of what should be "Samus". I suppose there could be some reason, or maybe it is just a goof. I really couldn't tell you. It's just something you're going to need to take with a grain of salt, grin, and bare it.

Now, I think they use the series name now instead of character names because it makes the game and Dojo updates more difficult to track. I imagine that Sakurai realized to himself: "Hey, some of these die-hard fans of mine are pretty smart. Someone is going to eventually figure out my icon filing system, so let me make it less obvious and instead of using the exact character name, I'll use the franchise name and leave them something to chew on."

Notice how Sakurai likes to not give out complete information to us with any of his updates. He knows that there is a SWF, and he knows there are other boards out there where people want to talk about SSBB, so instead of basically teling us what's in, he's just leaving us with vague ideas to spark conversation, ideas, theories, and speculation.

Imagine that the AC icon was catagorized where "T" would fit in. We would basically KNOW that there is a character, and that character is either Tom Nook or KK Slider (Totakeke). But since Sakurai chose to go with the franchise, we have no idea who the representative from the series is, or even if there will be one.
Same goes for the "Touch! Gen"/"DS" icon. Place it where "M" would fit in... hmmm... Mii? Fit it anywhere else... most likely, there is no character for it. Now where's the fun in that?

So in short, I think Sakurai is doing this because it's fun for us and doesn't give him away. Period.

Boofer

Smash Ace
1. The icon is for the title of the series in "Englisized Japanese" is "Dairanto Sumasshu Burazaza". It is alphabetically the first possible series. (The next closest is "Donki Kongu")

2. The icon is for the title of the series. Period. (I'm willing to bet that even if the game was titled "Zuper Zmash Bros", it would still be first in line.)

3. Click the link and read the post in my sig.
But the battlefield icon is not the Smash Bros. logo icon.

Boofer

Smash Ace
It is in Brawl...that's all that matters now
Oh yeah. I didn't notice that the battlefield icon is now the same as the smash bros. icon. On melee it was some kind of shattered glass-looking symbol.

Oh well. The theory still seems pretty valid. Hopefully Sakurai is using some of this extra time to add new characters. I'm gonna be angry if I don't see the order restart.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Dyce the whole Icon theory is pushing it. A Alphabeticial order icon theory is ********. Look at this. In simple image saves, the picture that is saved first gets the 1 marker while the second one uploaded is 2 and so on. Now it is understandable to have a lesser theory that states they follow by gamewise (smash 64, Melee, brawl) But sakurai isn't going to waste his time to upload each icon in alphabetical order. Rather he would just upload them as what is quickest abeit putting in smash 64 icons first because they are important. There is no order, it technically wouldn't make sense to put things in order.

Repryx

Smash Champion
Dyce the whole Icon theory is pushing it. A Alphabeticial order icon theory is ********. Look at this. In simple image saves, the picture that is saved first gets the 1 marker while the second one uploaded is 2 and so on. Now it is understandable to have a lesser theory that states they follow by gamewise (smash 64, Melee, brawl) But sakurai isn't going to waste his time to upload each icon in alphabetical order. Rather he would just upload them as what is quickest abeit putting in smash 64 icons first because they are important. There is no order, it technically wouldn't make sense to put things in order.
*Dropkick* Once again to this whole board dont question the Dyceman...Actually Sakurai isnt doing it the web designers are...I Take classes for web designing and I tend to do images and such in alphabetical order to make it easier for me to find them.

Tyeforce

Smash Apprentice

Oops, I meant one new series. I was thinking of G&W and world_19.

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
Touch! fits alphebetically, just throwing this into the discussion.

Instead of thinking of DS, Nintendo DS, or Touch Generations, why not just Touch Games.

All of them. Touch [] was the add campaign in almost all nations.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Ummm... obviously since he HAS already begun putting them in number order, skipping numbers, jumping back and forth, and they all seem to fit in place... I think you're wrong.

One more time, check the post link in my sig. :cool:

Zek

Smash Ace
One More Time dont question the Dyceman &
One More time...ITS A TRAP.

In all reality Dyce's theory is pretty correct just look at it and think a while
It's not correct, period. Metroid's placement is a blatant flaw that he can't explain. One flaw in the ordering means the theory is wrong - if you think they're so sloppy that they didn't notice that Metroid didn't fit, then maybe they'll be sloppy again in the future and the whole theory proves nothing anyway. If they were going out of their way to alphabetize it then there's no reason they wouldn't have listed it under Samus.

That said, it doesn't matter anymore because the 64 -> Melee -> Brawl ordering is obvious, and that already confirms the last unknown spot(Game & Watch) from those franchises. Now the question is the Brawl icons, which is already on very shakey ground thanks to the DS icon. And yes, that is a DS icon - these are the Touch Generations icons:

Not to mention that PictoChat came well before Touch Generations. The only other explanation people have been able to provide is that we're seeing a 4th category, System icons, ordered independently from the Brawl ones. That, I'll believe when I see another one.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
It's not correct, period. Metroid's placement is a blatant flaw that he can't explain. One flaw in the ordering means the theory is wrong - if you think they're so sloppy that they didn't notice that Metroid didn't fit, then maybe they'll be sloppy again in the future and the whole theory proves nothing anyway. If they were going out of their way to alphabetize it then there's no reason they wouldn't have listed it under Samus.
Actually, "Metoroido" isn't a flaw, it's just an exception to the order. Even the most scientifically accurate laws have exceptions.

And the order isn't "sloppy", everything does fit in there perfectly and follow the rules to a "T" with the only exception being "Metoroido", which does fit well but doesn't follow one rule.

And I do believe that the icon has a chance to stand for "Touch! Generation". "Touch! Gen" does, in fact, have a logo (2 as a matter of fact), but neither of them are universal unlike the "DS" logo. Also, just because Pictochat was around before Touch!Gen doesn't mean it wasn't later included. (The DS was around before Touch!Gen... does that mean it too isn't included as a part of the Touch!Gen?)

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
I disagree with Dyce, for the following reasons...

1. (Bad Translations): The translations used to make this theory work are often very awkwardly done, in attempts to make it work. In particular, the translation for Fox is very wrong, and does not even contain the correct symbols used in his name.

2. (Inconsistancy): The theory constantly alternates between the title of the series (Hoshi no Kirby) and a main character name (Rinku). If there was any sort of order, it would a least not switch between the 2 so randomly.

3. (The translation itself): Japan does not handle the translation of the game into English. That is done in the States. Why, then, would the Japanese base their alphabetization on the English language system? It’s stupid and pointless. Which brings us to our point four…

4. (Alphabetization method): Japan has an alphabetization system that is completely different from the English one. If there was any alphabetical order, why would they not just stick with their mother tongue and use their own system? Again, it’s confusing and unnecessary.

And for the record:

But they’re clearly all alphabetical, it must be true!

False. IIRC, this theory was conceived at around the time Ike’s update was released. A lot of the icons were known at that point, and the original creator used whatever he could to make things fit what was known. This also helps explain why it randomly switches between series name and main character name (Point 2 above).

Lastly, the DS icon largely refutes the entire theory altogether. Why some people are still trying to reconcile it with the theory (Like by using “Touch! Generations” [Not Japanese and killing own idea] to the Japanese name for Brain Training [It’s not even the Brain Training logo… -_-]), I have no idea.

(Didn't read the entire thread, as it seemed like mostly argument.)

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
The alphabetizing order worked out for only so long. The Nintendo DS logo really killed the entire theory. As someone stated above me the Touch Generation would of been used if it was in fact 'Touch Generation'.

Though this theory only proves one thing.

The return of the almighty Mr. Game & Watch!

Ritalin

Smash Rookie
Your romaji fails horribly, you weeaboo. This Dyce person thinks he knows Japanese but is just a weeaboo.

Top Bottom