• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
This character might be a character that is not hard to lose with;
has hands, that is, not a deku nut;
can jump, that is, not Norfair;
can be selected, that is, not banned;
might have hair, that is, not a home run bat.

This character might be Magikarp, that is, not King Dedede;
can use items, that is not new;
has smash attacks that is (are) not old;
has a recovery that is not too big;
might have a red costume, that is, not Zero Suit Samus.

Sorry for the double post, but looking backwards, I found this might be slightly more helpful. Or totally useless, hard to tell.

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
Im too lazy to even post the answer which I know is correct. What makes you think I'll go back a few pages to look for the hint?
Ugh, you're such a joke. How often have you "known" the answer and not posted it only to be conveniently "proven correct"?

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
From a few pages back, people started noticing that aside from the first line being separated, according to the number system, there was only one difference: In the first long paragraph, aside from the NOT sentences, the numbers went 4, 4, 5. In the second paragraph, the numbers went 5, 5, 4.

Since every 4 is a "has," and every 5 is a "can," I started thinking about switching them so that the first paragraph had all 4s, and the second paragraph had all 5s.

first paragraph
4 = This character has a recovery
4 = This character has smash attacks.
5 = This character can use items.

second paragraph
5 = This character can be selected.
5 = This character can jump.
4 = This character has hands.

changing the "can use" in the first paragraph with "has" from the second (to make each paragraph have three of the same kind) gives:

first paragraph changed
4 = This character has a recovery
4 = This character has smash attacks.
4 = This character has items.

second paragraph changed
5 = This character can be selected.
5 = This character can jump.
5 = This character can use hands.

Even if you keep it at "can use items" and "has hands," simply referencing them because they stick out from the "pattern," I'm leaning towards Pokemon Trainer. Recovery could mean individual pokemon resting inside a pokeball to recover from fatigue. Smash attacks =Rock smash. Items = pokeballs, and this is important because traditional "items" = items which are turned OFF in play anyway, but PT will hold pokeballs in the background whether items are on or off. Items could also refer to the fact that there is an items menu when in battle from the gameboy games, or as part of the pack (later versions of the pokemon games).

Second part, the individual pokemon can be selected in the game (smash bros AND pokemon series (at the beginning)), and there's a select menu in the pokemon games. The character can jump, as in pokemon trainer jumping over ledges in the original pokemon games), and pokemon trainer can ONLY use his hands in brawl (and shout words of encouragement) by throwing out pokeballs. Again, the important changes are the "has items" change and the "can use hands" change, because they specifically reference Pokemon trainer switching pokemon

Thoughts?

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad someone's using my number system :)

I don't think thats it though, because if the other character weeks I have done are any indication then we will know its it for sure when we see it. I believe we should be focusing on a pattern in the end of each line (ie. Zero Suit Samus, homerun bat, red costume, etc.) that may lead us to the SSBB credits somehow. We also know that the "not"s are extremely significant. Overswarm or Panda (preferably Panda) should give us another hint that points out what kind of code we should be looking for.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Maybe. Overswarm wrote that we need to look beyond what we couldn't do (the nots), even if we had to look backwards. The 4-4-5 and 5-5-4 is from some ideas a few pages back, which overswarm also may have hinted at when he said that if we were too lazy to go back a few pages, we wouldn't get

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Maybe. Overswarm wrote that we need to look beyond what we couldn't do (the nots), even if we had to look backwards. The 4-4-5 and 5-5-4 is from some ideas a few pages back, which overswarm also may have hinted at when he said that if we were too lazy to go back a few pages, we wouldn't get
Actually OS very specifically said we have to look beyound what we "can not" do, not would we couldn't do.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Have you all tried interpreting the list of sentences the same way you would read credits? I don't think OS is suggesting anything about any specific credits. He's suggesting that we look at the sentences as if they were credits.

Also notice that if you read Frogsterking's list at a slant, the words "can" and "not" are arranged right near one another, so you can read it as "can not". That doesn't help much, but it's worth consideration.

And by looking beyond what "we can not do", are we supposed to be focusing on the "can" sentences, or the "is not" sentences? Or both?? It's apparent that whatever we're doing to discover this "code" it must be found by looking from the end to the beginning.

And finally, in OS' supplement, does the Old or New part have anything to do with the "old" and "new" in the sentence? I'm also not sure about this.

EDIT: I GOT IT!!!!!

Lol, just kidding. Seriously though, somebody figure something out, this thing is distracting me from my homework. And it's Sunday night. T_T

Nestec

Smash Ace
O_O
Sounds like a freaky coincidence. I swear though, if that has anything to do with it, I'm slaying someone.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Aargh, I give up for tonight. For now I'm saying Jigglypuff, because it is ten letters and there are ten pairs of statements. >_<

Nestec

Smash Ace
Your brain is going to melt. Don't even bother.

Sidenote: Geez, I really hope the SBR doesn't tear Ness apart mercilessly in their discussion for him. I have a feeling they're going to give him way too little credit.

Nestec

Smash Ace
The hints given to us by OS and SP can be interpreted in too many different ways... >_<
We don't know what the right direction is, or even how to get on it. In other words, we don't even know WHAT we're supposed to be doing (aside from finding a code and deciphering it).

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I know OS well enough to guess that he would most likely try to make us think the correct way about the hint, but not direct us towards the answer. I'm not sure if he's doing that now, but that is what he traditionally does.

JLynn943

Smash Ace
this is probably totally irrelevant, but if you include the line "can you decipher the real hint?"
as part of the hint, then if you count the number of sentences in each line, you get:

since it's all 0's and 1's, it made me think of binary code. i assumed the ordering for the code to be 110101.

i don't really know what you can do with that though other than convert it to decimal, which ends up being 53.

edit: and in hexadecimal it's 35

again, i don't know yet if that's at all relevant

double edit:
going with the 35 from translating to hex, the 35th character on the character select screen is Lucas. So, I'm going with Lucas

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
this is probably totally irrelevant, but if you include the line "can you decipher the real hint?"
as part of the hint, then if you count the number of sentences in each line, you get:

since it's all 0's and 1's, it made me think of binary code. i assumed the ordering for the code to be 110101.

i don't really know what you can do with that though other than convert it to decimal, which ends up being 53.

edit: and in hexadecimal it's 35

again, i don't know yet if that's at all relevant

double edit:
going with the 35 from translating to hex, the 35th character on the character select screen is Lucas. So, I'm going with Lucas
If you are right, I give up on all future Samurai hints.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Plus, I don't think any of the hints OS and SP gave us relate to that at all.

Banee

Smash Cadet
Going off Jlynn, in Ascii 35 hex is the character 5. Now, starting from top left and moving left to right on the select screen the 5th character is Kirby, which has already been done. However, if you number them starting at 0 (Mario being 0), like an array, then Fox would be character 5.

So, i'm guessing Fox.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
What bugs me the most about this is that I feel like I've seen this type of puzzle before.

Actually, it reminds me of a little riddle involving letters, of the it's in "those", but not "these."

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
This character is a character.

This character is not Zero Suit Samus. This character might have a red costume. This character is not too big. This character has a recovery. This character is not old. This character has smash attacks. This character is not new. This character can use items. This character is not King Dedede. This character might be Magikarp.

This character is not a homerun bat. This character might have hair. This character is not banned. This character can be selected. This character is not Norfair. This character can jump. This character is not a deku nut. This character has hands. This character is not hard to lose with. This character might be a character.

not these letters: abdefghiklmnorstuwz

EDIT: cjpqvxy remain.

EDIT2: if you use the first two "has" of paragraph 1, and first 2 "cans" of paragraph 2, cjpvy are used.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I have my doubts about this.
Me too. I'm always wrong about these things.

Have a better idea?

I don't know what the code is, but looking into the mights, c is common. if we are looking for a "character" as in, a letter of type, c seems to be the most probable choice, as "c" might be in "character" and "costume". "P" is possible because of "Magikarp," but since I'm TH"C" and see a lot more "c"s than "p"s, I'm going the egotistical route and assuming the hint has to do with "c".

Incidently, Lucas seems probable, IMO. And I like having a guess ready. Lucas until I look at it some more.

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
Looking at Samurai Panda and Overswarm's previous hint supplements, I think that it has to do with the words not the letters. They emphasized "credits" and "not" so we know it has something to do with that in some way. Overswarm also said that

*insert line here*.
*insert line here*.
*insert line here*.

was the best way to view it, so maybe we should just post it that way and start from scratch.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
O.K., but I should tell you now - from here on out, all my ideas will most likely involve word manipulation, and occationally I will look into alternate definitions of words for clues like I did here.

I'm not giving up on my definition of "character" though, nor my interpretation as of now, until you, I, or someone else comes up with something better.

Top Bottom