• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 Speed running Discussion

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I actually did not suggest that 5 stock very easy should be standard at any point. I only stated why I like the category and why the 1 stock VH category exploded in popularity briefly(the run for every character was so unoptimized that any person with the will to get a fast time could get the record then put WR on the end and never touch speedrunning the game again). That being said I tried out 1 Stock Very Hard and I actually found it a lot easier to get a decent run, after about 10 min of resets I got a sub 9 min run and will upload a good run of it sometime in the next week(aiming for sub-8). With the 5 stock category I have to reset on every small mistake but even the record run on very hard has many mistakes(about a minute) and I dont need to reset on every mistake. Im going to see how long it takes to get a good run but I dont feel like this will take 3 and 1/2 months of 4-6 hours grinding almost daily like my 5:43 did. Btw the standard for running has been Normal 3 Stock since people started running the game, hence the unoptimized times in VH 1 Stock.

Last edited:

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
If you mean completing a sub 8 min run(your apparent goal) with the first run I actually completed then ya, im ****ing it up lol. 7:45 is the fastest in the category and I got 7:56 on my first completed run, and 7:48 on my 2nd completed run. My goal for this category is sub 7:30, faster than any VH 1 Stock run ever completed and I estimate it will take a month or 2. Somehow I dont think you get the idea of an RTA speedrun, the goal is not to complete speedruns with consistency but rather to complete it as fast as possible. I use the low chance, high speed options because I dont care about losing slow runs.

Last edited:

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
If you mean completing a sub 8 min run(your apparent goal) with the first run I actually completed then ya, im ****ing it up lol. 7:45 is the fastest in the category and I got 7:56 on my first completed run, and 7:48 on my 2nd completed run. My goal for this category is sub 7:30, faster than any VH 1 Stock run ever completed and I estimate it will take a month or 2. Somehow I dont think you get the idea of an RTA speedrun, the goal is not to complete speedruns with consistency but rather to complete it as fast as possible. I use the low chance, high speed options because I dont care about losing slow runs.
Your next goal should be to find out what it feels like to have sex with someone.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
And either way the argument was over which category of speed running is better not who's the better speed runner. I quit doing RTAs as soon as I realized there was a scene for competitive play that I could actually go out and leave my bedroom for. So I still win.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
This is a real message from Pikashy the current world record holder:
"Your DK strat saves about 25 seconds on my splits if I do it right, which alone is almost the time difference between my pb and Xat's pb. If only I can get a run that survives polygon... lol"

So I'll always be the guy who figured out how to cheese the Giant DK level by watching a Japanese TAS. No one can take that away from me

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I actually never wanted to argue with you at all, I just wanted to give some explanation around why I run the category I do and why it's not less difficult than 1 stock very hard. You insulted me directly(and yet again you insult me) and I got a little rustled and decided to defend my position then prove that I can actually get good times in other categories. I hope you decide to continue with smash 64 speedrunning if you enjoy it, everyone has their own preference in category and that doesn't mean we should be divided(you can't win an argument based on personal preference lol). I hope to build the community a bit over the next year and get everyone to submit their times to speedrun.com/ssb64. Thank you for giving me the push I needed to move into other categories
also combo blaze was insulting your attempt to get into competitive smash 64/results not your sexual prowess

Last edited:

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Your speed runs are better than mine dude, I just don't know if you noticed but everybody ****s with everybody on these forums. I'm just trying to fit in. I actually haven't done a single attempt since I did my 8:30 and I'm probably not going to do another one unless I end up tripping and have nothing better to do. It's just something I did on a whim because I had free time and wanted to challenge myself.

Going to actual tournaments is a lot more satisfying because it's an even bigger challenge and also I end up getting to socialize with real people and get drunk every once in a while. And thanks for explaining my joke for me, people like you are really fun to hang out with. (I'm just joking. You should come to Apex and money match me. I'm way less of a **** in real life)

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
You dont know me lol, I have been playing melee competitively for 4 years and attend tournaments pretty much every month(sometimes 2). I appreciate the challenge I get from competing and the challenge from speedrunning(there are a large number of speedrunners with a history of comp.smash bros). I got 5th in an 18 man 64 tourney using pretty much exclusively using DKs grab release last year, I dont think I can experience a greater happyness from competitive 64 than that. If I had the opportunity to go to Apex there is no way I would waste my time MMing you. I can't imagine your very good at 64 anyways considering you only learned to l cancel less than a year ago and your not even ranked.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
The classic "I wouldn't waste my time by having you give me money" defense. You're right though I can't imagine what could be better than getting 5th at an 18 person tournament where no one could figure out how to beat DK grab gimmicks. That explains why you're the most famous melee/64 player on the internet.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I think you ****ed up in every sentence. First of all I never said I would beat you or that it would be a waste of my time taking your money. I clearly stated that it would be a waste of my time playing with you, if I went to apex I would spend my time talking/playing with melee players mostly. Im not saying I am amazing cause I got 5th place at a lcoal 64 tourney with DK grab release, im saying that it felt amazing and I probably wont get to have that much fun again in bracket trolling people. 3rd, I dont know where you got that im the most famous smash 64/melee player online. That's just straight up incorrect

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Also I got 7th at the S@X that I went to and it was only my second tournament ever. And I only got knocked out as early as I did because of a seeding mix up. Plus considering I have to travel over 12 hours to get to a tournament with more than 10 people and I don't play on line I'd say that's a lot more impressive than someone who goes to tournaments twice a month and gets 5th. I'd be embarrassed to admit that if I were you.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Then we're in agreement: I'm better than you at this game even though I learned to Z cancel less than a year ago. Glad we cleared that up.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I didn't, I dont really care about your trash talking if it's gonna be about competitive. I make no effort to play smash 64 on a competitive level, If you wanna talk smack about my speedruns again then go ahead cause I think I made my point on that.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
@ AthensHorseParty AthensHorseParty You really have no business talking smack considering you just started playing this game competitively, I dont go into the melee speedrunning thread and brag about my Unlock Sound Test run and talk **** about categories they run then proceed to challenge them to MMs and brag about some mediocre result I got in a tournament after they show me they are clearly better runners.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
I didn't, I dont really care about your trash talking if it's gonna be about competitive. I make no effort to play smash 64 on a competitive level, If you wanna talk smack about my speedruns again then go ahead cause I think I made my point on that.
You realize I didn't actually come in here to "brag" about a speed run I did while on acid 10 months ago that was only 4th place at the time, right? Also I think you may be on to something. It is very unusual for a n00b/scrub to come into a thread bragging about being good. If I didn't know any better I'd say that a person on the internet is goading you into reacting angrily to amuse themselves but that's pretty unheard of on a web forum.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
You've probably never even completed a speed run of any game on acid before you scrub. I'm trailblazing categories you didn't even know existed, get back to me when you stop sucking so bad.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
You realize I didn't actually come in here to "brag" about a speed run I did while on acid 10 months ago that was only 4th place at the time, right?
i didnt know 12 year olds did acid

Then we're in agreement: I'm better than you at this game even though I learned to Z cancel less than a year ago. Glad we cleared that up.
I'm better than you at this game even though I learned to Z cancel less than a year ago.
I learned to Z cancel less than a year ago.

Last edited:

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
Just a reminder I'm the only person in this thread who has a console run in the top 5 on the twitch leader-board
Your latest response seems like your trying to make it seem like you were trolling me.
My current run is 7:08 now, 88 seconds faster than your run ****in GGs bro

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
athens lol

everything to life is obviously drugs and sex
especially when you're 12 years old
the level of intelligence put into your post matches with one written by an angry toddler
hell,
i might go so far to say you're studstill #2

ThaiFlowsion

Smash Rookie
Normal would be too easy

Dunno...probably Very Hard, 1 stock? Even that would be easy though.... its hard to make "impressive" runs when its not even remotely difficult to breeze through it. BTT and BTP are pretty much the only modes worth speed running. (Well of course...that's what its there for)
There's too much RNG for "too easy" to apply to a very hard 1 stock run. I think 1 stock Very Hard is the limit for what you can get out of a 1 player speedrun. But It would be a good idea to incorporate 100% BTT & BTP during the 1player run instead of just making it "any %"

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
There's too much RNG for "too easy" to apply to a very hard 1 stock run. I think 1 stock Very Hard is the limit for what you can get out of a 1 player speedrun. But It would be a good idea to incorporate 100% BTT & BTP during the 1player run instead of just making it "any %"
studstool?

Top Bottom