• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 Speed running Discussion

clubbadubba

Smash Master
So i actually did a normal speed run. When does time start and stop for these? I started the clock when I pressed start at the char select screen, and checked time at 2 different points, when I got the final hit on masterhand and when the congratulations screen came up.

I got 10:35 on masterhand, 11:20 on congratulations (with mario)

****ty run with falcon- 10:20 on the last masterhand hit

Battlecow

Play to Win
that guy's ****in great

cleverest ever

he's been around for like 2 weeks and I'm a diehard fan

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
So i actually did a normal speed run. When does time start and stop for these? I started the clock when I pressed start at the char select screen, and checked time at 2 different points, when I got the final hit on masterhand and when the congratulations screen came up.

I got 10:35 on masterhand, 11:20 on congratulations (with mario)

****ty run with falcon- 10:20 on the last masterhand hit
pretty sure it's on last hit

Crusader8389

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I think if we at least sent someone as good as clubba over to SpeedDemosArchiveSDA for their event, we could generate some publicity for super smash 64, as it is completely and utterly underrated by everyone I've talked to in the gaming community outside of this board. I could help work on SD strategies for DK and metal mario if you need some help, but I don't think I have nearly enough technical skill to pull off a fast hard mode 1 stock; I died a few times with kirby even attempting it at high speeds. If you fiddle around with the AI enough, I'm pretty sure you can get most of the 1 on 1 fights to suicide. The ones with allies you probably can't choreograph though, as I'm pretty sure they react to what your allies do as well as what you do.

Battlecow

Play to Win
AFAIK you can pacifist fox, link, GDK, and pikachu (pika's very easy, GDK is rather hard). It's quicker in most cases just to kill them efficiently, though.

Crusader8389

Smash Cadet
Yes, there is virtually no decent record for ssb single player runs I could find online (non-TAS) and most of the TAS's I've seen aren't even optimal. The point is, we need someone to represent at this event, like you or battlecow or knightphox who are on a completely different level then me. I recently tried samus and link and it took me nearly 30 minutes! The polygon team for them is atrociously hard, at least for me; especially without fixed length moves to finish them quickly (yoshi uptilt, fox shield, etc). I'm sure you guys will have some time to show off the skill it takes to play smash well, like basic z canceling and such.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
The guy who started this said that typical speed runs rules are normal mode 3 stock, so polygon shouldn't be too difficult.

Crusader8389

Smash Cadet
There is a number one guy at speed running? Looking online I couldn't find anyone. Also, I was doing very hard 1 stock; failz.

Froski

Boss of Bosses
So I was doing Falcon's BTP and well sheeeit..I dun did it. I've ****ing dun it. (weeks ago)

:cool:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
damn so it seems there is only one person who does good speed runs of this game (though his times do seem pretty damn good)

Crusader8389

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the link, combo blaze.

Battlecow:

use any character, beat normal mode, 3 stock Jul 28, 2013 - 18:24:01
1st was0x 00:07:29

I hope you can beat :)

If not I will contact was0x about appearing in the next game done quick series to expose smash a bit more.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I watched the WR run, and tried to compete with it since the dude didn't seem to know what short hopping is, which could have saved him time at some parts. But it was ****ing hard.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
yea i saw that but disregarded because of the very easy. I wanna see this was0x guy's run. And how do they verify these runs?

Battlecow

Play to Win
that very easy guy knows what's up though

I'll beat it (the normal run) but IDK if I can record unless it's emulator which they prolly don't accept

do like ****ty iphone videos count

mixa

Banned via Warnings
that very easy guy knows what's up though

I'll beat it (the normal run) but IDK if I can record unless it's emulator which they prolly don't accept

do like ****ty iphone videos count
FAQ said:
Can I play on an emulator?

If the emulator is accurate and the community for that game accepts emulator as a valid choice, then yes, you can. See further below for more rules regarding emulators.
GO BATTLECOW!

edit: If you are playing on an emulator, or if you are racing a season goal, you are required to stream (NO exceptions). However, if you are playing on a console, you are not required to stream.

P D

Smash Ace
would anyone be interested in doing some duo streams of some btt?

Battlecow

Play to Win
Record's prii good but I got it.

Questions: Does it start when the game turns on or when you press start on the 1p mode screen or when the link announcer says "GO" or what?

And does it end as soon as you take MH's last percentage or at the end of that animation?

And do I have to complete BTT/BTP?

Edit: bleh am I going to have to do great runs a zillion times until the RNG loves me blehhhhhh

Double edit: broke 8 mins, now it gets difficult

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
Speedrunslive isn't the "official" speed running site, it's just used to race games. People randomly make category there to race cus' it's fun n' all. So the one to aim at is the one done in SpeedDemosArchive. The way they time it should be somewhere in SDA, but I'd assume it's done via in game time since it has a timer (add up the time in the video linked before to see if it's done like that, too lazy to check.)

Crusader8389

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, did some testing. Going to answer some of battlecows questions/give advice (with stuff you probably already know):

-start is when you press start to start the 1p game, end is on master hand last hit animation thingy
-pretty sure was0x uses kirby + sucking or grab sui to get past dk+metal mario in a few seconds; yoshi can do just as easily, no quick strats for other chars that I'm aware of
-no BTT or BTP
-remeber fixerd length atttacks for polygon, etc! kirby has up b, uair, yoshi has only utilt I think
-yea most of ppl there are noobs who don't know any advanced techniques, go battlecow!

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I used to do these races and they're very fun. I'm very familiar with 1P Mode since I played it a lot with my friends a while back. Before SRL cleared everything I got 1st in every one of the SSB races I entered, and I held a few of the 1st place character-specific records (Link and Samus I think).

Anyway, I encourage you all to try this out if you haven't; you'll thank me later!

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
people rarely ever race any of the sonic advance games there, and barely do 2D sanic stuff. makes me sad

B Link

Smash Lord
^Hey I think I tied the wr for sonic 1's opening level (25 sec iirc). Not that hard to do but still might take people some time.

Also, werster does sonic 3 occasionally, and he even did a sonic 1 special where he showed cool subpixel glitches. But yeah other than that no one else really speed runs sonic lol

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
sonic 1 GH1 WR is 24 sec, though TAS shows 23 second is true perfect. I only got a 25 cus' lazy, but yeah 24 is also pretty hard to get.

DUNNO how to use the split properly, I've only used it like once. GL using that jajaja

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
GO BATTLECOW!

edit: If you are playing on an emulator, or if you are racing a season goal, you are required to stream (NO exceptions). However, if you are playing on a console, you are not required to stream.
So my adapter can easily be configured to play back a emulator movie which is nothing but controller state per frame information. We could make a TAS, then play back the TAS on console. You might as well give me the 1st place prize now

Edit: And who needs more than 1 life to beat normal mode?

Top Bottom