• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 Makes A New Tier List After 4 Years

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
right when i start maining kirby.... man now I'm gonna have to switch to ness so i won't be labeled as a 'high tier'
This is a terrible mentality in any game, but especially for 64. Look at how balanced it is. No one's really going to care if you use a "high tier". Play who you want to play. Don't switch mains just because of a tier list.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

VVinsanity

Smash Rookie
From a bit of playing Smash 64... It makes sense. His attacks are laggy (Like Mario) and weaker than his bro's... but he is MUCH slower and like, what? Slowest air speed? What were on their mind when they are making Luigi?

At least Luigi Cyclone is evil...
He may not be that good but he isnt link! LOL one throw and your done, especially on a dreamland only stage list.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Hang on, Isai places 2nd using only Link at Apex 2012, and they didn't bother revising the Tier list then? Why'd they still drop Link a spot? I don't understand it.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Hang on, Isai places 2nd using only Link at Apex 2012, and they didn't bother revising the Tier list then? Why'd they still drop Link a spot? I don't understand it.
That's still not enough, there needs to be a balance wards everyone that mains Link to place the same as him or least do good and win matches in general. Doesn't matter if he's good with Link, there needs to be a balance in general not just a certain individual. Unless he can keep up with Link by himself for years to come and place very high then yes the Tier list will change towards Link. Thanks.

Last edited:

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
I'm an original smasher, having put more time into smash 64 than probably anyone else on earth from 1999-2001, and I can tell you that any tier list that puts Dk towards the bottom of it is a terrible list. This is largely because ppl don't know how to utilize him properly. Dk is a top 4 character, period. (The fact that they put samus ahead of him is quite frankly embarrassing). The rest of the list looks decent enough except for samus, who should be last. I also don't think captain falcon is as good as the list indicates, I just think he's more popular .

Last edited:

Aidalator64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Aidalator64
More balanced than Smash 4..?
Yeah, no.
After 16 years of the metagame evolving and Smash 64 still being considered balanced, no added patches. This still should be seen as an ridiculous design accomplishment by Sakurai and his team. I'd like to see how balanced Smash Wii U will be after the same amount of time, who knows where its metagame will be at

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't know what people are thinking when they say Smash4 is balanced. Look at character like Sheik ja ZSS and say they are balanced when there is Lucina, Little Mac, Charizard and Mii Sword in the game. The only difference is that the most polar characters aren't as ******** as in the older games. There is no Brawl Ganon or MK or Melee Fox or Kirby, but the toptiers are still ******** and it will only get worse as the metagame evolves.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Link has a recovery in Japan and Europe. In America, all you need to do is keep that second jump and make sure you're not sent lower than 60 degrees. You'll be fine.

But his recovery is only in part to balance out his sheer attack power, which is the highest power input in the entire game, beating DK and Captain Falcon for sheer damage. Yes, the only reason Link's got what is considered and debated as the worst recovery has the best attack prowess in the game.

no one says recovery is up b only lol... in that case yoshi would have the worst recovery, which obviously isn't true.
Mistime the second jump with Yoshi, you get hit back and there's NOTHING you can do about it except fall. Yes, Yoshi has Super Armor, but remember that it only lasts so long before ending.

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
This tier list is proof that even the most "identical clones" have drastic differences.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Mistime the second jump with Yoshi, you get hit back and there's NOTHING you can do about it except fall. Yes, Yoshi has Super Armor, but remember that it only lasts so long before ending.
Yoshi has one of the better recoveries in Smash64.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I'm an original smasher, having put more time into smash 64 than probably anyone else on earth from 1999-2001, and I can tell you that any tier list that puts Dk towards the bottom of it is a terrible list. This is largely because ppl don't know how to utilize him properly. Dk is a top 4 character, period. (The fact that they put samus ahead of him is quite frankly embarrassing). The rest of the list looks decent enough except for samus, who should be last. I also don't think captain falcon is as good as the list indicates, I just think he's more popular .
So I guess you'll be getting top 8 next Apex then? :troll:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
More balanced than Smash 4..?
Yeah, no.
While Smash 4 is an amazing step in balancing over Melee and Brawl, there's still a good deal of characters that are just really poor for no reason (Charizard and Mii Swordfighter come to mind).

In 64 at least, everyone has the benefit of being able to combo the hell out of one another and usually get guaranteed kills if your combo game is on point. Everyone has different tools and options, some being a lot better than others, but if you're skilled with your character then it doesn't really matter and you'll most likely do fine (which, to reiterate pidgezero's comment, Isai's Link is potent regardless of how bad the character is generally perceived).

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
it's gotten to the point where i have to step in and say something

if you have not played 64 for extensive periods of time with other good players (playing every day in 2000 does not count), please refrain from saying things

radical larry is wrong about link, and i say this as a link main who crusades to put him firmly above DK and ness

Liggli

Smash Apprentice
Please stop with these community voted tier lists.

A tier list should be built on advanced knowledge about each characters matchups. This isn't something everyone can do and will only result in biased and false information.

Wikipedia can run on this as it has basic facts and sources. Many people knows the capital of their country.

But when it comes to telling whether your favourite character is better/worse than others... especially when people pick some just because they're best at that character... there will be lots of bias going on.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Smash 64 isn't more balanced than Smash 4. LOL you funny
SSB64 is the only that has something that could even be called balance. Smash games are among the least balanced games of the genre out there.

It takes one hit after the SA frames, one hit and you're screwed.
The SA frames last forever in SSB64 and he can just use one of his godly aerials as the SA frames end to recover quite safely. With almost every other character that 1 hit is a guaranteed stock, with Yoshi he can just armor through it. Only Pikachu is harder to gimp.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
SSB64 is the only that has something that could even be called balance. Smash games are among the least balanced games of the genre out there.

The SA frames last forever in SSB64 and he can just use one of his godly aerials as the SA frames end to recover quite safely. With almost every other character that 1 hit is a guaranteed stock, with Yoshi he can just armor through it. Only Pikachu is harder to gimp.
But if Yoshi is too far out, the animation may end. And remember, characters have projectiles to go against his "godly" aerials.

D

Deleted member

Luigi is... dead last? :cry: I guess that makes sense... admittedly he kinda sucks. I still main him, though.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
While Smash 4 is an amazing step in balancing over Melee and Brawl, there's still a good deal of characters that are just really poor for no reason (Charizard and Mii Swordfighter come to mind).

In 64 at least, everyone has the benefit of being able to combo the hell out of one another and usually get guaranteed kills if your combo game is on point.
The viability of a character doesn't depend on his combos but rather the number of options that the character has and how safe they are, otherwise :icsmelee::popo: would win against every character in the game, though of course having more reward makes a character better than a character with the same options but that gets disadvantaged more or has less reward.

I think that comparing games with different mechanics, design philosopy, age is not that concrete, especially considering that the two have nothing in common, and even if they were, according to the Chaos Theory balance isn't straightly refracted in tournament results.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
But if Yoshi is too far out, the animation may end. And remember, characters have projectiles to go against his "godly" aerials.
If any character is too far out it's a stock gone for them so that comparison is irrelevant. Yoshi is quite heavy so he is harder to throw as far away as most characters.
If you are using projectiles against Yoshi who is recovery then you let him recover free as Yoshi has such a high airspeed he can move around whatever projectiles you throw at him.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
These are some interesting changes. It feels completely different from the last one.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
And he get wrecked by Mega Man, loses to Rosalina, Greninja, Sheik, LITTLE MAC, ROB, the Pits, and some more characters.

Broken? Far from it. He isn't even top 10.

I'm perfectly aware of Boss, False, J. Miller, and Mr CC's videos showing them kicking butts with Luigi. But you have to understand, the character got a few very glaring problems that holds him back, even when counting on how he is the best CQC character in the game. His MU spread isn't amazing. His mobility isn't good. His traction is the worst. His recovery is gimpable unless you master Jumpless Cyclone. Those three basically are walls that prevemts Luigi from being broken.

And by theway, if you want the best character in Smash 4, look for Sheik. But she isn't even broken, even with those ridiculous needles she has. Luigi has no such thing. How people even manage to think Luigi is broken I have no clue. HE ISN'T EVEN TOP TIER!
This might be the funniest post I've read on smashboards.

Never change, guys.

Top Bottom