• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 Makes A New Tier List After 4 Years

Sedda

Smash Champion
Why Luigi is Bottom? :(
I don't play the game, but I love watching it at high level (apex 215 was hype) can some one explain to me?
hello.

luigi is last because of his terribly slow movement. his short hop is very high, his moves very slow, and luigi himself very floaty. this makes him very slow and incapacitates him in the neutral game. his whole thing is basically taking advantage of bad approaches without being able to approach himself.

His vertical combo ability is decent, but he has not horizontal comboing tools, slow running speed means he's not great at techchasing on reaction (except on platforms), and his recovery is not too bad but it's very predictable.

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
hello.

luigi is last because of his terribly slow movement. his short hop is very high, his moves very slow, and luigi himself very floaty. this makes him very slow and incapacitates him in the neutral game. his whole thing is basically taking advantage of bad approaches without being able to approach himself.

His vertical combo ability is decent, but he has not horizontal comboing tools, slow running speed means he's not great at techchasing on reaction (except on platforms), and his recovery is not too bad but it's very predictable.
Sedda has no clue what he's talking about ;)
If you recover the way I do, you'll make it.
I tech chase successfully all the time.
Forward air-> forward air -> up air -> up b.
Forward air/nair to grab to gimp.
Bruhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sedda

Smash Champion
Sedda has no clue what he's talking about ;)
If you recover the way I do, you'll make it.
I tech chase successfully all the time.
Forward air-> forward air -> up air -> up b.
Forward air/nair to grab to gimp.
Bruhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
If you play ****ty players all the time, you can make it back with ness and everything.

Luigi literally can't techchase and cover all options on DL ground unless the opponent is forced to tech near a ledge. I'm not saying you can't techchase with Luigi, but he can't techchase like Falcon or Fox.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
If you play ****ty players all the time, you can make it back with ness and everything.
im going to make a video montage of ybombb's drunk ness

in brawl

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace

Luigi literally can't techchase and cover all options on DL ground unless the opponent is forced to tech near a ledge. I'm not saying you can't techchase with Luigi, but he can't techchase like Falcon or Fox.
If LD, Mr Marbles, Shears And The Z are ****ty players then I honestly don't know good players, and if I can't tech chase I can atleast shield pressure to grab :p

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I don't even play 64, but every time I hear happy news about this game I can't help but smile.

64 is just so great. I couldn't tell you why to save my life, but it really is.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
If LD, Mr Marbles, Shears And The Z are ****ty players then I honestly don't know good players, and if I can't tech chase I can atleast shield pressure to grab :p
you have to perform well against people in tourney, friendlies/online don't count.

you lost to marbles and LD at apex, shears is king of unclutch, and Z is the king of nontryhard online.

if you attend events and stack W's, then you can have legitimate proof and results that what YOU are doing with luigi works and gets you places.

until then, it's just hot air.

Zappdos

Smash Cadet
Im curious what high level 64 doubles looks like. Anyone have links to good sets?

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Not sure if you're serious or not.
I honestly am. His grab can combo into 2 nairs, has an insane recovery in a game where characters can live up to higher percentages, and his Up-Smash and Foward-Smash hit really quick (not to mention his up-air covers decent ground).

I'm sorry, have you not seen Boss destroying innocent souls on VGBootCamp's stream with Luigi?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
As the person who started the original discussion thread, I'm happy this came to be

Ifrit_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skyloftknight123
3DS FC
1375-7213-2200
right when i start maining kirby.... man now I'm gonna have to switch to ness so i won't be labeled as a 'high tier'

42rockjock

Smash Cadet
idk why people say smash 4 is the most balanced smash game when 64 and PM 3.5 exist.

Soul.

That's a pretty cool tier list. Luigi being last makes me wonder why but it's fine.
I honestly am. His grab can combo into 2 nairs, has an insane recovery in a game where characters can live up to higher percentages, and his Up-Smash and Foward-Smash hit really quick (not to mention his up-air covers decent ground).

I'm sorry, have you not seen Boss destroying innocent souls on VGBootCamp's stream with Luigi?
Him "destroying" people with Smash 4 Luigi doesn't mean the character is broken.

lord narwhal

Smash Apprentice
It's a tier list voted on by anyone who wanted to vote. That includes all the elementary school 64 players who think falcon is the best because he has cool up air moves and Fox is bad because he's hard.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
It's a tier list voted on by anyone who wanted to vote. That includes all the elementary school 64 players who think falcon is the best because he has cool up air moves and Fox is bad because he's hard.
as i replied on reddit:

"i went through the list and removed 26 people who were either random or essentially rookies in 64, so it stayed at 60 people. and to the credit of the people who did vote, the only switch was mario over jpuff, and the modes of link and ness were 9."

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I can't think of any reason Samus's back air could be anything but the worst character in the game. Adding the rest of her kit doesn't do all that much for her.

I could see her as being better than Luigi. Maybe even Ness. But better than Link or DK? What's in the water in the 64 boards?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
I can't think of any reason Samus's back air could be anything but the worst character in the game. Adding the rest of her kit doesn't do all that much for her.

I could see her as being better than Luigi. Maybe even Ness. But better than Link or DK? What's in the water in the 64 boards?
prime example of an outsider's point of view

TriTails

Smash Lord

And he get wrecked by Mega Man, loses to Rosalina, Greninja, Sheik, LITTLE MAC, ROB, the Pits, and some more characters.

Broken? Far from it. He isn't even top 10.

I'm perfectly aware of Boss, False, J. Miller, and Mr CC's videos showing them kicking butts with Luigi. But you have to understand, the character got a few very glaring problems that holds him back, even when counting on how he is the best CQC character in the game. His MU spread isn't amazing. His mobility isn't good. His traction is the worst. His recovery is gimpable unless you master Jumpless Cyclone. Those three basically are walls that prevemts Luigi from being broken.

And by theway, if you want the best character in Smash 4, look for Sheik. But she isn't even broken, even with those ridiculous needles she has. Luigi has no such thing. How people even manage to think Luigi is broken I have no clue. HE ISN'T EVEN TOP TIER!

Last edited:

VVinsanity

Smash Rookie
Just made a smashboards account to tell you all how ****ed it is to have sweet ole Luigi at the bottom of this list... Blasphemy!

TriTails

Smash Lord
Just made a smashboards account to tell you all how ****ed it is to have sweet ole Luigi at the bottom of this list... Blasphemy!
From a bit of playing Smash 64... It makes sense. His attacks are laggy (Like Mario) and weaker than his bro's... but he is MUCH slower and like, what? Slowest air speed? What were on their mind when they are making Luigi?

At least Luigi Cyclone is evil...

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
:link64: mains right now:

"We're not dead last!"
"B-but we didnt really move at all."
"TOO BAD! Still not :luigi64: tier!"

yttik

When I meant recovery, I meant her recovery move. It gains almost no distance when used.
no one says recovery is up b only lol... in that case yoshi would have the worst recovery, which obviously isn't true.

From a bit of playing Smash 64... It makes sense. His attacks are laggy (Like Mario) and weaker than his bro's... but he is MUCH slower and like, what? Slowest air speed? What were on their mind when they are making Luigi?

At least Luigi Cyclone is evil...
what was on their mind when making luigi? good things. luigi isn't awful, he's just a bad mario with some nice gimmicks.

Last edited by a moderator:

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
WOW that's refreshing I thought the 64 meta was just going to go dead.

I expected a Yoshi jump considering the work with him put in at Apex this year.

Top Bottom