• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 Index (READ HERE FIRST)

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
Rock cancel (Kirby)
Descending up b and bomb recovery (Link)
Edge cancelled moves (Yoshi Down B, Ness Up b and down b (easier), Yoshi egg cancel (harder))
Pikachu's up b edge grab from below DL (the Banze) - looks like two vertical up b's with a ledge grab at end.
Thanks, those are good. But let's be honest though, Link's bomb recovery is useless. Maybe if you weren't facing backwards afterwards...

Advancing bairs and retreating fairs
Fast fall uairs (I don't think you've cover this but I'm not sure of its necessity either)
The thing is, I'm not sure I could add anything by explaining these. There's really not anything weird going on. You just practice. But maybe exposing people to slightly harder options like this could be useful?

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Thanks, those are good. But let's be honest though, Link's bomb recovery is useless. Maybe if you weren't facing backwards afterwards...
It's very situational but it could be good info for up-and-coming Link mains.
The thing is, I'm not sure I could add anything by explaining these. There's really not anything weird going on. You just practice. But maybe exposing people to slightly harder options like this could be useful?
Well, I didn't think about either of those until I read about it. I'm not saying that's true for everyone but in my case it was. I think their inclusion in to an informational video series is quite important. It gives that little jump start on little things to extend combos.

Last edited:

Capos

Smash Apprentice
I think there's some value to some "this is simple to explain, but it's useful and you may not have thought to try it" things. For example, ledge hopping is so easy that it stretches the limits of the word "advanced technique," but it has a place in your videos because new players may not have thought to do that on their own.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I'm doing the final video on character specific techniques right now. Actually, I wouldn't mind some input from you guys on what sections to include. Here's what I'm thinking right now:
- Teleport
- Double Jump Cancel
- Mario/Luigi tornado recovery
- Rising pound (same mechanics as falcon punch recovery)
- Jab grab
- Short hop double laser
- Neutral B in-air turnaround
- Shine cancel
- Parry

Are there any other big character specific techniques? I don't want to include stuff about basic combo setups so I decided against a section on Mario's SH Dair > Uair and stuff like that.

As far as the overlay goes, I got it from an Ocarina of Time speedrunner who made it himself (Zeds?). He was very happy to give it to me so I'm confident he wouldn't mind if I linked it to you guys:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fmm0fqdqwv45rob/N64c B2.zip

The setup may be a little annoying depending on how comfortable you are with stuff like that. But at this point, I just open the application and it works so it's very well made in my opinion.
pika extended up-b comes to mind. there's so many little things too. you could almost make a short video for each character tbh

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
pika extended up-b comes to mind. there's so many little things too. you could almost make a short video for each character tbh
My goal is to release this general character specific techniques guide on the biggest, most widely used stuff which your average new player might not know. This gets them a jump start on learning the things that they see in high level matches.

But you're right, there's so much character specific stuff. After I cover the big techniques, I want to collaborate with a few high level mains of a certain character and make a video about that character specifically. Covering the main stuff like playstyle, best moves, basic combos, recovery options, etc.

I was in a Fox group before these advanced techs videos but we decided it would be hard to go forward without being able to assume some level of technical knowledge from our audience. So the ATs videos began.

I'll be sure to let everyone know when I'm ready to do that so that people who are interested can help out. I'm sure I'd learn a ton in the process too which would be great.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Are people using the skype group still or something else so I can change it.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Yes, people are still using the skype group.
Well if we only used the IRC, then I think it would be a lot more accessible to newer players. They don't have to get invited to the group, they can also pull up the other smashbros room in the IRC to talk about the other smash games, and moderation seems better in the IRC.

If Skype can offer any legitimate reasons to keep using it for group discussion, then I'd like to hear those reasons. Otherwise, I'm all in favor for switching to the IRC.

Madao

Well if we only used the IRC, then I think it would be a lot more accessible to newer players. They don't have to get invited to the group, they can also pull up the other smashbros room in the IRC to talk about the other smash games, and moderation seems better in the IRC.

If Skype can offer any legitimate reasons to keep using it for group discussion, then I'd like to hear those reasons. Otherwise, I'm all in favor for switching to the IRC.
I totally forgot about the IRC chat. I've never joined it before. I agree there are some advantages to it, but I don't like how you can only see messages that get sent while you're online. It's also worse for people with poor internet. I think it's fine to have both an IRC chat and skype chat.

Shears

Smash Master
I know there is a lot of new people coming in and asking about controller adapters and there is a large discussion on controllers and joysticks so I figured a section should be added for this. I don't know who wants to write it up but I think its useful to have this information indexed. Something that has instructions and resources for GC to 64 adapter, online adapters, and the karajan adapter as well as controller and stick repairs/replacements with a list of places to get gears, derek sticks, grease, etc.

My contribution to this section can be a brief explanation of the GC to 64 adapter.

Here is the link to the adapter:
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter/

Owning a couple of these they work very well. A couple things to note, the adapter can save and remember controller configurations that can be used at later times. The default configuration for the adapter is not ideal for playing smash, as the ideal configuration is to have the adapter make playing 64 the same controls as playing melee. The site offers a free configuration mapping tool but to save time I've already done this. To map the controllers to resemble those of melee the user must first enter "config" mode which is done by holding down the start button for 8 seconds until it beeps. Here is a list of instructions:

Program controller:
1. Hold start button for 8 seconds until beeps to enter config mode
2. Press these buttons in order: XZBBL BAZXL ZXL XXZBAL ZBAL ZBAL ZBAL BAAZBXL ZBYL Start
*This configures the controller to have L, R shield. Z Grab. X, Y jump. D-Pad taunt. C-Stick jump. There is no programming of C-Stick cheat code macros like in melee.

Save controller configuration:
2. Press R
3. Press any direction on the D-Pad that you wish to have mapped as storing current controller configuration

Open a saved configuration:
2. Press the direction on the D-Pad that is mapped to the configuration you wish to use.

For more configurations and to map your own configurations, check the official site and use their mapping tool http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/gc_to_n64/index_en.php#2

Horbie

Smash Cadet
So saw this general advanced techniques document before somewhere and started looking for it again. The only place I have managed to find it so far is here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/230666726/Super-Smash-Bros-64-The-Advanced-Techniques#scribd

But it's annoying as hell to read it there, and you need a payed membership to download. I know I've seen it somewhere where it was just available. Does anybuddy have a link they could share for this thing?

Also thought it might make a good add to the very end of the gen info/tech section of the op, cause I know I would have liked to go somewhere where I could've just found the more advanced tech stuff written.

Edit: whelp, actually went through to read it and turns out you can't even read it without a subscription. lol

Last edited:

M!nt

Smash Champion
So saw this general advanced techniques document before somewhere and started looking for it again. The only place I have managed to find it so far is here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/230666726/Super-Smash-Bros-64-The-Advanced-Techniques#scribd

But it's annoying as hell to read it there, and you need a payed membership to download. I know I've seen it somewhere where it was just available. Does anybuddy have a link they could share for this thing?

Also thought it might make a good add to the very end of the gen info/tech section of the op, cause I know I would have liked to go somewhere where I could've just found the more advanced tech stuff written.
It's the first link under the General Information/Techniques column. "For more detail on techniques look at this guide by dch111"

here's the link anyway.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2r...tOGViMzhhYzFlZDYz/edit?hl=en&authkey=CL-r_oAL
Maybe I should move it, I knew it was in there, but I had a hard time finding it as well. :smash:

edit: Added it to useful threads/sites

Last edited:

Horbie

Smash Cadet

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
Posted a character specific advanced techniques guide: https://youtu.be/8lOpfwS5NMs

I tried to really make some of the techniques that were harder for me to learn more accessible to new players. I remember learning TP and SHDL being almost impossible without asking a better player for help and many new players don't have that luxury if they're just smashboards lurkers.

Capos

Smash Apprentice
Posted a character specific advanced techniques guide: https://youtu.be/8lOpfwS5NMs

I tried to really make some of the techniques that were harder for me to learn more accessible to new players. I remember learning TP and SHDL being almost impossible without asking a better player for help and many new players don't have that luxury if they're just smashboards lurkers.
You say that pikachu can extend the 1st quick attack or the 2nd but not both, but I don't think that's true. You can do both right? (although obviously your timing has to be near perfect)

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
You say that pikachu can extend the 1st quick attack or the 2nd but not both, but I don't think that's true. You can do both right? (although obviously your timing has to be near perfect)
Hmm. I'd be surprised if you could since you forgo inputting a new direction by extended Pika's 1st up-B. But I definitely am not sure on this, just deducing. If there's a video that shows a double extended up-B I'd be interested to see it

Capos

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. I'd be surprised if you could since you forgo inputting a new direction by extended Pika's 1st up-B. But I definitely am not sure on this, just deducing. If there's a video that shows a double extended up-B I'd be interested to see it
I'm definitely not aware of video (I've searched for one), it's just something I thought I read as being possible. I'd love if someone could confirm either way.

<Fruity>

Smash Apprentice
^

Just TAS'd it and looks like you cannot take advantatge of the first extended up-B.

The reason is because the "extend period" starts after the last frame you can input for the 2nd jump. This means that the distance covered in the first up-B is the same for both, extended and normal.

It would be cool if someone else tested it as well to make sure what I'm saying is true.

Also, really good guide Tom, as usual!

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
i feel like the double extended up b is kind of like an urban legend. I've heard many people state that it is a thing but never seen it done or maybe i just wouldnt know if i saw it. I've also had multiple people online ask me if i am using pikas double extended up-b i guess because i am pretty good at getting the max possible recovery from off stage. All in all it's kind of a big mystery if it really exists (probably not) and i think it should remain a mystery haha

Shears

Smash Master
The video didn't talk about double vertical upb for pika, I did it once by accident on stream, but if some noob can practice for millions of hours and get it every time then they have mastered a very advanced technique (with little application).

FoldersUnite

Smash Rookie
Hi, new player here looking to get better bit by bit. Could somebody add me to NA skype group also please. Skype name is FoldersUnite.

fukenchu

Smash Rookie
Hello. Could somebody add me to NA skype group also please. Skype name is facebook:morelovzky.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Last edited:

Morin0

Smash Lord
When explaining about why grabbing the ledge early can lead to getting hit when edgehogging, it would have been useful to have the invincibility frames actually show. It visually demonstrates why grabbing the ledge early makes you vulnerable.

Last edited:

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
When explaining about why grabbing the ledge early can lead to getting hit when edgehogging, it would have been useful to have the invincibility frames actually show. It visually demonstrates why grabbing the ledge early makes you vulnerable.
Yeah I agree.

I find the details of advanced techniques fascinating and think that kind of stuff was really helpful when I learned how to play at a higher level. But even with being rather brief (I thought), my other videos have been 20-30 min each. My goal on this video was to do all the advanced techniques in 5 minutes or so and not go into any sort of technical depth.

A casual watches my video
Tries ledgehogging
Success
Tries again
Gets huged
WTF
"Oh yeah he said I might have grabbed too early if that happens"
Conducts experiments
Gains intuition for invincibility length

That would be a great series of events in my opinion. At the end of the day, the only way to learn is by playing. There was an immense amount of technical depth that got cut from this video (in fact, there's very little technical depth in any of my videos) and that's for a reason. However, in this instance, it might have been nice to include the invincibility frames as it could have just been in the clip and I wouldn't have had to explicitly mention it. Free information. But oh well

M!nt

Smash Champion
I'm glad they decided to rename the collapse tag to spoiler for no reason at all. :mad:

edit: changed to the new spoiler tag and it now lags my computer really bad. Anyone else have this problem? I might get rid of them if so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom