• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official + Smash 4 [VIC] General Thread - Next events: MILTIM 11 JUN, CWMELEE+PM 18 JUN, CW S4ROA 25 JUN

Splice

Smash Hero
With timed out and the winner is determined by percentage difference, its a weird rule if you ask me :S wouldn't it be better to repeat the remaining stocks instead?
What's the point of using a timer if you're going to repeat the remaining stocks?
The timer is there to ensure the matches do not go too long, so anything that continues to take up time past the timer is contradictory.

Being able to hold the % or Stock lead is agreed upon to be a reasonable advantage in the event the timer runs out, and if you're behind there is an incentive to not play super defensively/slow - I timed your friend out because he was just running away when I had a huge advantage. I shouldn't have to give up an advantageous position because he wants to stall me when he's losing, so I started running around with him. I still could have hit with kill moves several times but I wanted to show him why playing the way he does is very, very bad.

Bonus Shoutouts:
Leisha - Thanks for the best Pokemon Sticker, now my controller is bumpy :D
V - Always second! Good luck changing that at Shadowloo, imo you should play a lot more Ness and get a lot more confidence with the character. In doubles with Sarah, Ness would especially be a great choice and would work well with Gunner. Me and Dreadtech might clutch it next time otherwise ;D
Sarah - Thanks for beating me! :3
Nicks - MARVEL BABY! grats on 1st in the main event of the tournament ; Smash 4 Doubles. Need to get some prize money happening for that stuff

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
With timed out and the winner is determined by percentage difference, its a weird rule if you ask me :S wouldn't it be better to repeat the remaining stocks instead?
Then there'd be no point to the time limit at all.
It's there as a win condition to force players into combat over camping.
Although being timed out is lame :/

ViVa

Smash Ace
Not really a weird rule. Most games with time limits give the win to the player/s that were winning when the timer hit 0. I don't see why Smash 4 should be any different. Losing to time doesn't feel good but it's a part of the game that you'll have to live with.

Nin*Rose

Strange isn't it!
NNID
Nezzy1991
Then there'd be no point to the time limit at all.
It's there as a win condition to force players into combat over camping.
Although being timed out is lame :/
Since the game could result in time out... Could 2 stock (Instead of 3) with timer off for doubles work? just throwing out ideas :3 lols

but never the less, in the end I still had fun ;)

Last edited:

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
Since the game could result in time out... Could 2 stock (Instead of 3) with timer off for doubles work? just throwing out ideas :3 lols

The timer rule has been in smash games for years

The game resulted in a time out because your friend chose to roll spam and never attack. And in this case the onus shouldn't be on Splice to make a risky call and try to make a hard read attack. Your friend needed to understand the situation and try to make something happen, that is precisely what the timer rule is for.

Even with 2 stocks the timer will still be there. You will never be in a situation where there is no timer in a tournament. and it's pretty acceptable to go to three stocks since that is what America is doing.

Splice

Smash Hero
if there was no timer it would still be going u wil never catch me i have
:4sonic: :4sonic: :4sonic: :4sonic: :4sonic: :4sonic::4sonic:
:4sonic:SONIC SPEED :4sonic:
:4sonic: :4sonic: :4sonic: :4sonic: :4sonic: :4sonic::4sonic:

Tomo009

Smash Apprentice

Having attempted to play a fighting game without a timer, it doesn't work, it doesn't work at all.

It is a really bad idea to play offensive/risky unless the game is literally forcing interactions, playing safe is the better option pretty much 100% of the time.

Time is a resource and is very important for fighting games, they are completely different without it.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
:4sonic:>
> :sonic:
Jet Set Sonic is very close to being #1 though but it's not classic enough and also not on smashboards lol
Some-one post more shoutouts or this entire page will be Sonic.

:lick:

Oh yeah, whose Wii was Smash4 Grand Finals played on? Some of the replays were save (including one of my games against Earl) would be nice if they could be uploaded :)

Last edited:

ViVa

Smash Ace
My wii u has two replays on it from the tournament.

Splice (Sonic) vs Earl (Little Mac) on Delfino Plaza.
Earl (Little Mac) vs V (Villager) on Final Destination.

I'll see what I can do about recording them.

Splice

Smash Hero
Thanks so much Viva, I really appreciate it.
Maybe someone can help you out if you don't have the internet/equipment to get them on youtube?

We need to remember to save Smash4 replays of hype matches when they aren't streamed guys!
No more 3 minute timer oppression, we can record every game!

S.D

Smash Master

Turning off the timer just because the game could end in a time out would be like turning off the blastzones because you die when you touch them.
The timer is a win condition (like any other) for good reasons (as stated above).

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
You should try join the smash 4 Swanston street group on Facebook leash, they seem to post about doing stuff every Friday so maybe you can jump on that if moemalls not happening much

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Just managed to catch up to this thread. Finally found Internet in Cambodia.
I placed 4th in PM singles yo. I thought that was going to be fixed.

GGs to all of the people I played.

Izzago

Just managed to catch up to this thread. Finally found Internet in Cambodia.
I placed 4th in PM singles yo. I thought that was going to be fixed.

GGs to all of the people I played.
That's my bad, so I apologize for that. I was confused as to which part exactly needed to be fixed and so I think I changed a couple of things that I wasn't meant to change while leaving the actual issues unchanged. I'll do my best not to make similar mistakes in future.

Snoc

New Kid on the Block
Anyone going to MoeMall on Friday? I'll be in the cityz and wouldnt mind Sm4sh practise.
Yo i'll be coming but if anyone could bring a spare adapter for a setup seeming as I dont have one yet that would be sick.

yiggs

Smash Rookie
Quick question. i entered SS smash 4 doubles with a friend and we both prefer to use wii u pro controllers. Is that legal?

joeyjoeyjoejoe

Smash Apprentice
NEXT TOURNAMENT IS SATURDAY THE 21ST FEB @ MASON HALL 6 DAVIES STREET BRUNSWICK
/
Info here: https://www.facebook.com/events/346626142212881/346629852212510/
//
Schedule (Subject to change)
11am - Doors, Casual play
11:30am – Smash Melee Doubles
12pm - Smash Wii U Doubles
12:30PM - Smash Project M Singles
3:30pm – Smash WiiU Singles
4:30pm - Smash Melee Singles
///
Set ups
If you have gear, please bring them as early as possible. We need consoles, specifically PM and WiiU set ups. Don't worry about bringing monitors for WiiUs but please bring speakers. If you can only bring a gamecube adaptor, please let me know - it helps a lot. Please and thank you
////
Rulesets
Melee - same
PM - same but we reserve the right to go 3 stock if we get <4 set ups in order to keep to schedule
WiiU
1. FD replaced with T+C in starters
2. Timer increased to 8 minutes
3. Modified DSR for Bo5 (can't pick the stage you most recently won on)
4. Omega Palutena's Temple and FD are interchangable (as a counterpick)
5. Kongo Jungle banned in singles (was banned at Apex, but was previously legal in our region

Last edited:

Nin*Rose

Strange isn't it!
NNID
Nezzy1991
Hey guys, just wondering if Smash 4 will be streamed this time? It would be awesome to share some Smash 4 love around :)

joeyjoeyjoejoe

Smash Apprentice
Streams at monthlies were never a thing guys - we will gladly share the usual nothing and we always share our stream when we have it.

We're working on finding a way to stream courtesy of CW but please, we don't have dongles on dongles just quite yet. So lower your expectations to realistic please.

However, in related news, we will have a dedicated S4 recording set up thanks to Bijou. At the least Melbournemelee will be recording melee and PM matches as well.

EDIT: I can confirm that, just like last tournament, NG+ will be using the venue's internet and thus, Melbournemelee will not be able to stream. I will try to get S4 onto that stream - no promises. Either way, please check them out at http://www.twitch.tv/newgameplustv.

Last edited:

earla

Smash Lord
yo, smash 4 tournament on the 21st... are customs legal or not?

im undecided about my stance on customs but more importantly i don't want to fall behind the meta if evo is successful.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Customs will not be legal this tournament. Will only become a thing if America or other tournaments start running them on a regular basis.

I dont see them becoming a thing anyway. Too tedious to setup a profile for every person. Also not to mention they're bloody impossible to unlock at a fast rate. Half the consoles at the tournaments probably wont even have 50% of the customs unlocked :p

Last edited:

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Why does the FGC get the stream when we get like 10x more entrants for our tournies lol?
I guess because they're hosting us to be with them. So I do understand they would want priority to the stream for their games. We have recording setups for all the smash games anyway so thats better than nothing :). Its really unrealistic to be able to stream with Australian internet unless the venue has a proper connection. Pre Paid mobile usb would use up too much data and be really expensive to run. Unless anyone has any better ideas? :/

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Customs will not be legal this tournament. Will only become a thing if America or other tournaments start running them on a regular basis.

I dont see them becoming a thing anyway. Too tedious to setup a profile for every person. Also not to mention they're bloody impossible to unlock at a fast rate. Half the consoles at the tournaments probably wont even have 50% of the customs unlocked :p
I'm just gonna cut into this and let you know that regular tournies like Xanadu, Smash Attack and Tourney Locator are keen to run custom tournaments, KTAR is likely to follow suit (Keitaro likes customs but isn't running them at the next KTAR) and we have Evo potentially running them which is HUGE.

You should look into the Standard Custom Moveset Project which addresses logistical issues and means that you don't actually have to set up a profile for each person.

As far as unlocking them goes: pain in the ass, but I'm sure at least 1 person in the Melbourne scene has done so, and the beauty of this is that you only need that one person. If you're interested in unlocking them yourself you can idle during Smash Tour (I get 2-3 custom moves every hour just by letting Smash Tour play through itself) or do stuff like Crazy Orders/All Star to grind them out very quickly.

tl;dr - don't be so negative, you're looking for problems that don't really exist

joeyjoeyjoejoe

Smash Apprentice
Leisha does not speak on behalf of the TO team (although he would like her to join us if she's willing - just let me know =) ).

Re: customs, they will not be running this tournament. Meta game decisions like this should not be taken lightly. When we make changes to the rule set, we want to be deliberate. Our inertia on customs is not indicative of the internal discussions we are having.

Re: stream. Ng+ are the official media partner with CW. CW partnership/sponsorship with companies such as BenQ (who donated their monitors to us (with more incoming for BAM)) was made with this media partnership in mind. CW must follow up on this partnership in order to avoid possible risk of these sponsorships falling through.

Edit: CW have not upgraded the net. Max tells me the issue is the distance from the venue to the network that will always make the net there sub par.

Last edited:

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
I'm just gonna cut into this and let you know that regular tournies like Xanadu, Smash Attack and Tourney Locator are keen to run custom tournaments, KTAR is likely to follow suit (Keitaro likes customs but isn't running them at the next KTAR) and we have Evo potentially running them which is HUGE.

You should look into the Standard Custom Moveset Project which addresses logistical issues and means that you don't actually have to set up a profile for each person.

As far as unlocking them goes: pain in the ***, but I'm sure at least 1 person in the Melbourne scene has done so, and the beauty of this is that you only need that one person. If you're interested in unlocking them yourself you can idle during Smash Tour (I get 2-3 custom moves every hour just by letting Smash Tour play through itself) or do stuff like Crazy Orders/All Star to grind them out very quickly.

tl;dr - don't be so negative, you're looking for problems that don't really exist
I'm just gonna say this isn't the place, don't come in here looking for an argument, this is the VIC boards, we're just talking about how we're not running it, leave and go back to smash 4 discussion thread pls

Last edited:
Top Bottom