• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official + Smash 4 [VIC] General Thread - Next events: MILTIM 11 JUN, CWMELEE+PM 18 JUN, CW S4ROA 25 JUN

Milun

Smash Ace
I wanna request too since everyone is doing it: PM doubles. You can't tell me PM fans aren't the kind of people who enjoy that.

S.D

Smash Master
I wanna request too since everyone is doing it: PM doubles. You can't tell me PM fans aren't the kind of people who enjoy that.
Adding the lowest priority event to an already overcrowded schedule is the last thing we should be doing.
Time constraints put PM singles under pressure, let alone doubles.
It's just not something we can accomodate under the current timelines.

earla

Smash Lord
huge fan of joeyjoeyjoeyjoeyjoey/dreads work. asian gods of to'ing. u care so much bout making these events work.. we appreciate you guys!

lunch break next tourney?

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
huge fan of joeyjoeyjoeyjoeyjoey/dreads work. asian gods of to'ing. u care so much bout making these events work.. we appreciate you guys!

lunch break next tourney?
I had half a slice of pizza on saturday, a PB in starving myself. This is what I get when I come 9th in smash 4 and 5th in PM. I might have to think about dropping something cause it gets harder to eat the better I get at these damn games.

S.D

Smash Master
I had half a slice of pizza on saturday, a PB in starving myself. This is what I get when I come 9th in smash 4 and 5th in PM. I might have to think about dropping something cause it gets harder to eat the better I get at these damn games.
Just have someone bring you food when they go out. It's really no sweat for people to grab something extra for the hardworking TO boiz. Or BYO bag of apples. Actually BYO food to smash tournaments is really good meta, they have fridge/microwave etc at the venue just pull a Codie.

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
Just have someone bring you food when they go out. It's really no sweat for people to grab something extra for the hardworking TO boiz. Or BYO bag of apples. Actually BYO food to smash tournaments is really good meta, they have fridge/microwave etc at the venue just pull a Codie.
I already do that, still no time to sit down and eat, I was eating that slice on the go then got called for a match LOL, I forgot I also came 4th in smash 4 doubles. So yeh going kinda deep in 3 events is pretty crazy, of course that's normal for you SD cause u so gud and sexy at smash.

Last edited:

earla

Smash Lord
darren, put yourself against me first round in events you enter. will help you make time to eat

joeyjoeyjoejoe

Smash Apprentice
Request for PM doubles denied for now.

Request for lunch break accepted but like last tournament, might be used up if running behind.

We appreciate requests but understand we neither have to reply nor acknowledge them. We want to and try to but life is hard.

Last edited:

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
Having a bit of a dilemma here... so let me kindly ask this.

How feasible is it to host biweeklies at Brunswick, and have Melee/PM separated from Wii U tournaments?

I'm asking because it's too much pressure playing all 5 events (I got worned out pretty quickly). I felt somewhat responsible for holding up brackets (was in 3 events at once), and I can't see myself dropping any events because I have fun in all of them.
The community is growing rapidly, so many smashers nowadays and there's barely any room to move around in the venue.
If this somehow happens, we could see more events/side events happening in each tournament, the return of PM Doubles, Mid/low tier Melee, or sm4sh Triples/Quadruples, or a customs tournament. People don't need to drop any events due to fear of exhaustion or whatever...

It's a big ask and I know that it would require a lot of effort from everyone, but imagine the possibilities.

However despite everything I said, it's amazing how the tournament ran on schedule, so props to all the TOs.

Not asking to split the community or anything, it's just Melee/PM share similar equipment (CRTs). NSW is currently trialling this so it's something for everyone to consider I guess...

Gatbitg

Smash Rookie

How feasible is it to host biweeklies at Brunswick, and have Melee/PM separated from Wii U tournaments?

I'm asking because it's too much pressure playing all 5 events (I got worned out pretty quickly). I felt somewhat responsible for holding up brackets (was in 3 events at once), and I can't see myself dropping any events because I have fun in all of them.
The community is growing rapidly, so many smashers nowadays and there's barely any room to move around in the venue.
If this somehow happens, we could see more events/side events happening in each tournament, the return of PM Doubles, Mid/low tier Melee, or sm4sh Triples/Quadruples, or a customs tournament. People don't need to drop any events due to fear of exhaustion or whatever...

It's a big ask and I know that it would require a lot of effort from everyone, but imagine the possibilities.

However despite everything I said, it's amazing how the tournament ran on schedule, so props to all the TOs.

Not asking to split the community or anything, it's just Melee/PM share similar equipment (CRTs). NSW is currently trialling this so it's something for everyone to consider I guess...
this may also remove some of the overcrowding issues.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy

The two main issues with splitting monthlies is A: burning out people, and B: Venue cost vs Venue fees when there is less overall people.

As for A: I could already guarantee that I would attend only 1 event per a month even if there was 2x melee per a month on a weekend. I know some people would be the same too so splitting into seperate weekends is not something we are looking at quite yet.

As for B: we are currently getting a decent surplus of money every month which allows us to do stuff in order to bolster events, There's already a guaranteed pot bonus for smash games at BAM7 thanks to this. Other things such as buying some of our own Smash 4 setups, speakers and even more streaming support is being looked at with these dollars.

If we did split them up, we would probably get around 60% of the people we currently get each month (a mix of due to burn out as well as people only coming for 1 game)

What we are doing though is looking into ways we can address these issues without having to use more than 1 day per a month. Here is a short list of the ideas we are looking at which should hopefully allow us to have a less hectic tournament each month:

Starting even earlier (10am start)
Doubles paid entry (deters people from entering for no reason, also will promote more competitive team play)
Using extra rooms (the locker room or some of the spare small rooms)
Limiting the amount of events people enter (4 events limit, no 5 games again pls splice)
Much stricter enforcement on friendlies (special area just for friendlies, rest of the stations tournament only)

Right now I couldn't tell you what will or won't be done, but what I can tell you is it will only get better.

Hobs_

Smash Journeyman
Here's my crazy suggestion: run Melee singles (and perhaps Smash 4 singles) earlier. They're the biggest events and people often leave after being eliminated. I understand from a stream perspective Melee is traditionally run last (and it's the MAIN EVENT!) but if space and time is the biggest problem it would likely help.

Splice

Smash Hero
Not keen on splitting because it had bad side effects when we were last doing from 2009-2010 imo

bigger different venue might be an idea, but we could just need to manage space better in terms of tables.
This tournament was a success, we should try some minor changes for improvements. I'd also support earlier start for Smash 4 singles, and doing doubles later?

UpDown13

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry. But, I honestly don't know who to speak to as to improve my game. There are hardly any Lucario's in the world and I thought maybe you guys could give me some tips. Attila, I heard you where the top player in Brawl, maybe you would have some advice for me?
play pm then you will have fun

DD_

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry. But, I honestly don't know who to speak to as to improve my game. There are hardly any Lucario's in the world and I thought maybe you guys could give me some tips. Attila, I heard you where the top player in Brawl, maybe you would have some advice for me?
If you're looking to improve fundamentals and mind games picking up another competitive game can help you get a fresh perspective on things. There is always P:M or melee available to you at CW plus the FGC events.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
I think another issue we have at the moment is space. If we could use up more of the rooms, I think it'd relieve some space the main hall :)

Starting at 10am would be good aswell, Could maybe have time to run pools or something. I personally like pools since you get more games, but I know people will probably have issues with time restraints or whatever, :<

But yes splitting games is a no go, we really need all the games together to survive and bring in more numbers <3

Gatbitg

Smash Rookie
whould two seperate days e a possibility one for melee/pm and one for sm4sh and 2 fighters?

Smash already takes up 66% of the room and with the other 33 it could make a big difference

earla

Smash Lord
this thread is hilarious.

having too many people is a great problem to have. 70+ entrants both games.. maybe we can expand on this and gradually reach the 100 mark with solid to'ing, social media exposure.

im all for a slightly bigger venue.. next to a hospital for the 8/10's rite darren

Splice

Smash Hero
Deez if you wanna get good first you have to learn humility and realise everything you are doing in the game right now is wrong even if it works against bad players.

Top Bottom