• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official + Smash 4 [VIC] General Thread - Next events: MILTIM 11 JUN, CWMELEE+PM 18 JUN, CW S4ROA 25 JUN

Snoc

New Kid on the Block
Hey nerds, won't be there to help this weekend.
Just a quick note to all you smashers, if you ask a TO to call out for your opponent, please don't leave the TO desk, it blows my mind the amount of people who do this and it just slows the day down for everyone else, imo it should be a dq-able offense.

AzuraSarah

Smash Cadet
Just a quick note to all you smashers, if you ask a TO to call out for your opponent, please don't leave the TO desk, it blows my mind the amount of people who do this and it just slows the day down for everyone else, imo it should be a dq-able offense.
This.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Quoted for truth.

I will say though, there is one thing I find ever MORE annoying than that.

People who play bracket matches ahead of schedule while holding up another bracket. Last tourney, there was one particular player who played rounds 1-5 of the PM winners bracket, while not playing his L2 S4 match. This act alone pushed S4 2 hours behind schedule, and actually didn't save PM any time.

I hate this the most.

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
Quoted for truth.

I will say though, there is one thing I find ever MORE annoying than that.

People who play bracket matches ahead of schedule while holding up another bracket. Last tourney, there was one particular player who played rounds 1-5 of the PM winners bracket, while not playing his L2 S4 match. This act alone pushed S4 2 hours behind schedule, and actually didn't save PM any time.

I hate this the most.
Hey so i know everyone hates the idea of separating the community but 109 people should actually get a full day devoted to them!
Imagine what you could do if you didn't have pm and melee on your schedule and you had the whole Brunswick Masonic hall to yourselves for sm4sh?
Pools!?!?
Guaranteed stream all day?!?
Breathing room?!?
Less work for TOs?!?!?

This just makes so much sense to me. Afaik 109 people covers the venue costs because the masons are really lovely and don't charge us what they could.

Then you could easily run melee and PM alongside the regular FGC events or put PM with smash 4 or whatever particular flavour you want. At this point we're big enough that we can afford to risk doing separate things. Keep your ears to the ground and then if things start to go wrong we know that we can always come back together.

I think that everyone deserves a better time and a chance to play more of the games they love that simply having more space isn't going to fix as well as splitting us up will. Space won't give us that much more time.

Song_

Smash Cadet
Super basic list of the methods to be able to breath inside:

1. New venue; this imo is the best thing to, more room for setups, and people who want to play several games don't have to find their ways out there two times in a weekend. On a negative note, at the rate we are growing, we may need a larger venue soon after.

2. Splitting up; weather it be Smash 4 and trads on Saturday then Melee and pm on Sunday, or some other combination of events. I feel that it would be a pain for people, and especially TO's. Orginizing and running this for one day is a lot of work, and I doubt anyone will be happy to do this. Also for some people going out to Brunswick twice in a weekend would just be a pain in the ass.

3. Not doing anything; No

4. Splitting up and changing venue; better than the previous two options, but not optimal the best option.

Splice

Smash Hero
remember when we used to do crew battles after tournaments because there was so much time and space - during and after the event - for friendlies?

Splice

Smash Hero
it was actually too difficult for all the plebs and not fun if you couldn't do the difficult stuff

but hey, brilliant suggestion Tim!
Can we start running Brawl again please? It'll mean less people will come to the tournaments, so the event will be easier to run and we'll have more space and time!

S.D

Smash Master
Super basic list of the methods to be able to breath inside:

1. New venue; this imo is the best thing to, more room for setups, and people who want to play several games don't have to find their ways out there two times in a weekend. On a negative note, at the rate we are growing, we may need a larger venue soon after.

2. Splitting up; weather it be Smash 4 and trads on Saturday then Melee and pm on Sunday, or some other combination of events. I feel that it would be a pain for people, and especially TO's. Orginizing and running this for one day is a lot of work, and I doubt anyone will be happy to do this. Also for some people going out to Brunswick twice in a weekend would just be a pain in the ***.

3. Not doing anything; No

4. Splitting up and changing venue; better than the previous two options, but not optimal the best option.
Wouldn't necessarily have to be Saturday/Sunday split.
Fortnightly separation could work, meaning there is a tournament every 2 weeks.
Likely different TO teams for each anyway, and a good spread for those who want to attend both.

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
Very important please read everyone

Today the head To's of Melbourne got together (on the internet) and sat down to discuss a much needed issue growing within the community.

Moving forward, we see nothing but growth for the future of Melbourne smash for all games. With this in mind, we feel that nurturing and caring for new players and allowing them to have a good experience so that they come back while expecting old veterans of the game stick to the tournament rules and ideals is paramount for the future of our community.

The worst thing that we don't want to see is a new player losing their winners round 1 then meeting dekar in losers Round 1 because he was late. This unfairly punishes the new player who respected and followed the rules of the tournament.

So, moving forward from here. Melbourne melee will officially adopt planks dq rule.

If you have been disqualified from the tournament due to tardiness, bad behaviour or inappropriate actions, you will be completely dq'd. You will not get to play in losers.

This means that moving forward. We expect a modicum of respect and responsibility to our tournaments. If you have multiple games in play and are being called, get a friend to notify the TO, as long as we understand that you are actively trying, we can respect it. If you got dq'd due to very bad circumstances outside of your control, please come chat to a head TO (dreadtech, Joey, Attila, or Redact). We won't let you play in losers but we may be able to negotiate a refund for that particular event (venue fees are non negotiable though). Being careless getting food, not allocating time to get to the event or general forgetfulness are not good excuses.

Our community is without a doubt the biggest in Australia and working towards growing numbers, skill and enjoyment while keeping the respect towards rules and regulations is important to us.

Signed off and agreed
Redact, Attila, Joey, Dreadtech

Last edited:

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
If we wanted to split up then wouldn't people have to pay $20 for venue if they wanted to play a combination of melee/Pm and Smash 4?
Depending on finances, CW could do 2 for 1 or $15 for both or whatever they thought was best for entrants and for making sure they don't run at a loss

Nin*Rose

Strange isn't it!
NNID
Nezzy1991
I felt like coming down and convinced M to tag along. Nothing special.

Then Leisha sponsored Scarpian, now that's some hype ****!!!
If I'm not still in hospital, then I'm looking forward to it :) I wouldn't mind seeing how I do ageist the best of the best from Sydney :)

as a matter of fact, ill be travelling to Sydney late November for a holiday and the Pokemon Symphonic Evolutions. Would there be a Sydney Smash Monthly or Weekly my friend and I could attend then?

Last edited:

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
I believe splice was referring to actual crew battles taking place (not 4v4) after tournaments finished because brawl and melee separated for a while at the start in 2009.
Long before Smash4.

Splice

Smash Hero
@ dreadtech dreadtech I'm not satisfied with your outlining of how DQ's for tardiness will be critically and objectively dished out on players.
Could you please specify the procedure you are going to use to enforce this.

It needs to be clear for the players, so that there is no need for second thoughts when DQ'ing players.
It should be a flowchart; the procedure should be outlined and what players should do as well - if they're on the brink of getting DQ'd, do they rush to their match, or stop in at the TO desk first to inform you that they are ready to play so you don't DQ them while they're playing?

The current topic of discussion is very serious, I apologise for posting anything that people decided to respond to and prompting SD to post more Memes That Sam Enjoys™. You guys don't have to respond to every bull**** comment 100 times over and over when there's actual content happening.

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
The general guideline used for Melbourne melee are 20 minute dq's with 3 warnings placed between the length of the 20 minutes. Within the final 2-3 minutes I usually start uttering the name on the Mic like I'm placing a curse upon said person before I let the axe fall. If said person contacts me and plays their match within 5 minutes that's fine.

S.D

Smash Master
@ dreadtech dreadtech I'm not satisfied with your outlining of how DQ's for tardiness will be critically and objectively dished out on players.
Could you please specify the procedure you are going to use to enforce this.

It needs to be clear for the players, so that there is no need for second thoughts when DQ'ing players.
It should be a flowchart; the procedure should be outlined and what players should do as well - if they're on the brink of getting DQ'd, do they rush to their match, or stop in at the TO desk first to inform you that they are ready to play so you don't DQ them while they're playing?

The current topic of discussion is very serious, I apologise for posting anything that people decided to respond to and prompting SD to post more Memes That Sam Enjoys™. You guys don't have to respond to every bull**** comment 100 times over and over when there's actual content happening.
Always such tension in your posting Billy.
I will pray to the good lord for you in the hope he will grant you peace.

Splice

Smash Hero
The general guideline used for Melbourne melee are 20 minute dq's with 3 warnings placed between the length of the 20 minutes. Within the final 2-3 minutes I usually start uttering the name on the Mic like I'm placing a curse upon said person before I let the axe fall. If said person contacts me and plays their match within 5 minutes that's fine.
Ok please make sure you are using a device to time this and that the mic has batteries.
If you are playing a match, other TO's working the desk need to be able to handle the situation properly and inform you that the player is now playing his match without you having to ask when you swap back over to the desk.
Some kind of thorough communication needs to be prevalent; you are one unit.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
If you got dq'd due to very bad circumstances outside of your control, please come chat to a head TO (dreadtech, Joey, Attila, or Redact). We won't let you play in losers
we don't want to see is a new player losing their winners round 1 then meeting dekar in losers Round 1 because he was late. This unfairly punishes the new player who respected and followed the rules of the tournament.
dislike
this is antithetical
unfairly punishes anyone who was late for reasons outside their control.
i understand being disqualified if you're so late the tournament will not finish on time, but if that's not the case, and we want everyone to have a fair go, then we should not discriminate based on skill level.

Last edited:

Villyness

Dedicated Protector
NNID
SuckerFlash
3DS FC
2664-2676-2381
My partner's busy on Saturday. Is anyone looking for a doubles teammate?

Top Bottom