• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Update 1.10 Coming Friday 7/31!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
oh for the biggest thing for the king is this

for those saying he's deconfirmed or what ever.

your all jumping to conclusions again

remember the whole pryosphere stage and ridley shadow debate

most jump to deconfirmed or deconfirmed

because there was no ridley at the time of the stage and a quote from a palutena statue pic of the day was similar to the ridley one

and the shadow could have ben a lot smaller than we think
(but the 50 facts confirmed it was not)

nobody is deconfirmed or confirmed until sakurai saids so is the point.

I mean did sakurai ever say mewtwo is deconfirmed when the 3ds came out...nope he was confirmed as dlc character number 1 on 50-fact

and plus mewtwo had a trophy before then. and is still collectable

so for the king costume its the same case as the inkling

the inklings are allowed to still be possible for playable and not the king?

the king is not deconfirmed until sakurai saids he's not getting in.

besides the ballot is not even over yet

and the king is no where near too big unlike ridley

Mr. Oshawott

Smash Apprentice
For those concerned about King K. Rool no longer having a possibility of being featured in Sm4sh, I wouldn't panic at all just yet. There's a Mii Costume of Link :4link: despite him already being in as a default fighter, so the Mii Costume of K. Rool does not necessarily invalidate his chance of becoming a fighter.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Because they represent important eras in Nintendo history, while K. Rool and Ridley are just "the big bad reptile bad guy of X franchise". Sakurai has already said how it's easier to justify representing a brand new franchise than an existing one, since it's more likely that character will have more unique qualities.

They are actually more well known than you'd think, too. Mr. Game & Watch was actually one of the first Nintendo characters I knew. I had one of the Game & Watch Gallery packs on the Game Boy Colour.

R.O.B actually saved gaming. He was bundled with the NES, and people bought the NES because you basically got a cool robot toy with it. This was back when sales of all video game consoles and software was crashing and burning.

This was back in a time when games were still considered to just be kids toys, so it was a perfect marketing strategy, even if R.O.B didn't get much use in the games themselves.
And over 9m people bought and played Donkey Kong Country. DKC was f***ing huge on the SNES, and K. Rool was the one leading the plot of every single game. (Yeah, the plots were a bit barebones, but whatever.)

Enrique Feola

Smash Rookie
So according to all the leaks, in the next few weeks, there's a high chance of any of these things getting added to the game

>Characters
King K Rool
Young Link
Pichu
Wolf

>Stages
Peach's Castle 64
Hyrule Castle 64
Dr. Mario
Great Bay

BeetleJoJo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kingcrimson2012
3DS FC
1821-9930-6886
Well the only thing I am disappointed in is the fact that 3DS might not get a Tourney mode, Although I have the Wii U version.

Other than that, I'm cool with this update.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
OH MY GOD, IS THAT FOR REAL?? GREAT BAY IN SMASH BROS. 4!! YEEEEESSHHH!!! AKLSJDSKLJDOLAKSASKS;SD.

Hype! One of my most beloved stages is going to be back, and with that beautiful musical score as well.
I wonder if it's going to be Wii U only. I can see them making the water around swimmable like in Delfino Plaza. I hope we also get it for the 3DS as well, they would obviously have to leave the water untouched; in other words, the same as it was in Melee.

Edit: Didn't notice it before, but the screenshot of the leak is taken from a 3DS. So if the leak is true, then Great Bay is also coming to the 3DS version, yay!
Won't swimming be obnoxious in Great Bay if you can just swim under the stage to camp?

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
oh for the biggest thing for the king is this

for those saying he's deconfirmed or what ever.

your all jumping to conclusions again

remember the whole pryosphere stage and ridley shadow debate

most jump to deconfirmed or deconfirmed

because there was no ridley at the time of the stage and a quote from a palutena statue pic of the day was similar to the ridley one

and the shadow could have ben a lot smaller than we think
(but the 50 facts confirmed it was not)

nobody is deconfirmed or confirmed until sakurai saids so is the point.

I mean did sakurai ever say mewtwo is deconfirmed when the 3ds came out...nope he was confirmed as dlc character number 1 on 50-fact

and plus mewtwo had a trophy before then. and is still collectable

so for the king costume its the same case as the inkling

the inklings are allowed to still be possible for playable and not the king?

the king is not deconfirmed until sakurai saids he's not getting in.

besides the ballot is not even over yet

and the king is no where near too big unlike ridley
that's different. the palutena statue was just a thing in the background of the stage. the stage could have functioned completely the same without it, whereas ridley is an important part of pyrosphere and without him the stage would be different.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
And over 9m people bought and played Donkey Kong Country. DKC was f***ing huge on the SNES, and K. Rool was the one leading the plot of every single game. (Yeah, the plots were a bit barebones, but whatever.)
And I liked DKC too, but I didn't ever think K. Rool was part of my enjoyment for the game.

In fact, aside from his completely uninteresting character and design, I recall his boss fights being meh too.

People need to stop acting like coming from a popular game immediately means that character was part of the reason for the game's popularity. I say Rosalina is one of the more enjoyable aspects of Galaxy for a lot of people, and it is very apparent looking at old articles and even impressions from today. However, that doesn't make her the reason the game sold. People just really appreciated her being a part of the game, even if they planned to buy it regardless. However, for most people, K. Rool doesn't even have that much going for him. He was just a generic reptile villain (something Nintendo already did with Bowser and Ridley) that had some boring boss fights attached to him.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
that's different. the palutena statue was just a thing in the background of the stage. the stage could have functioned completely the same without it, whereas ridley is an important part of pyrosphere and without him the stage would be different.
that's true.

but what I mean't was similar quote to ridleys pyrosphere stage

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
>Implying Metroid is huge itself in today's gaming space
>Implying K. Rool would be especially well known to today's gamers

Ridley and K. Rool are mostly only supported by people who are stuck in the 90's and have no other Nintendo characters left to ask for.

In K. Rool's case it's even worse - I like DKC myself, but I never cared for K. Rool. In fact, I completely forgot about him, as I felt he was bland and uninspired as a villain (and Nintendo seemed to agree with me when they basically kicked him out of the DK games over the last few years).
Who even are the villians of the new DK games? I honestly don't know. I don't even play DK games but I've known about K. Rool since I was a kid and thought he'd be cool in Smash since Melee. It's not a big deal to me personally, but K. Rool absolutely deserves to be in. He's not a throwaway slot, especially when you consider Nintendo's willing to scrape as far down as Bowser Jr. and Dr. Mario when it comes to putting Mario characters in the game. DKC was huge in the 90's.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Won't swimming be obnoxious in Great Bay if you can just swim under the stage to camp?
Don't you actually have to wait a certain time limit before any consecutive dips? Although considering that everything around the stage is surround with nothing by water they may do something to rework it a bit.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
And I liked DKC too, but I didn't ever think K. Rool was part of my enjoyment for the game.

In fact, aside from his completely uninteresting character and design, I recall his boss fights being meh too.

People need to stop acting like coming from a popular game immediately means that character was part of the reason for the game's popularity. I say Rosalina is one of the more enjoyable aspects of Galaxy for a lot of people, and it is very apparent looking at old articles and even impressions from today. However, that doesn't make her the reason the game sold. People just really appreciated her being a part of the game, even if they planned to buy it regardless. However, for most people, K. Rool doesn't even have that much going for him. He was just a generic reptile villain (something Nintendo already did with Bowser and Ridley) that had some boring boss fights attached to him.
Where do you get this notion I'm claiming the game sold because of K. Rool? No, K. Rool became popular because the game sold. People loved his characterization throughout the different games. And frankly K. Rool's bosses were some of the best bosses in every game, especially the first one, where K. Rool's boss battle was really the only good one.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
That's not what we meant...THAT'S NOT WHAT WE MEANT WITH THE MII FIGHTERS.

73V3N

Smash Rookie
K. Rool is literally Ridley 2.0.

He's a character that doesn't have much of a natural following, but on Smash communities like this one, he has a fanbase that represents a vocal minority, most of which aren't even fans of the character, they simply bandwagoned him because he was popular in that community for a little while, and because a lot of people are kinda running out of ideas for characters they want in Smash, specifically first party ones. So some of them vote for who's popular, especially since there is even a thread on this very site that is stickied that tells people to do that (which I think is incredibly lame).

And we all know where that kinda situation got Ridley and his fans.
K. Rool is not Ridley 2.0. With Ridley, there were hardly any facts for him and many against, but mainly emotion. Plus, the K. Rool community is much bigger due to the fact that he is more realistic at this point, and K. Rool had facts for him rather than the emotion that backed Ridley's support. K. Rool is incredibly popular among so many people and is the rep DK has been waiting for and deserves. Just that fact that he has a huge support group that is also very vocal support him enourmously. Like I said before, only the vocal people count at this point because no matter how large the community is for a character, if only a small number vote, that character will not have a good chance while K. Rool has the best of both worlds with a large vocal community.

73V3N

Smash Rookie
i don't mean to be rude, but what is your source for k rool being number 1?
You're not being rude at all! It is mainly the fact that on most everyones lists for top DLC picks, K. Rool is either the 1st pick or at least in the top 3. Many websites such as Reddit have conducted votes to see which characters people voted for or would eventually vote for in the smash ballot. K. Rool dominated many of these votes followed closely by dixie, chorus kids and inkling.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Don't you actually have to wait a certain time limit before any consecutive dips? Although considering that everything around the stage is surround with nothing by water they may do something to rework it a bit.
Pretty sure the only thing that determines swim time is your percent. It's not a huge issue in most stages (like Delfino) because you are quite vulnerable to attacks from above while swimming, but on Great Bay you have this big solid platform in the middle that is great to hide under.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Pretty sure the only thing that determines swim time is your percent. It's not a huge issue in most stages (like Delfino) because you are quite vulnerable to attacks from above while swimming, but on Great Bay you have this big solid platform in the middle that is great to hide under.
Solution: Make Gyorg a stage hazard who appears exclusively underneath the main platform and eats anyone gullible enough to swim-camp there, koing them instantly.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
This August will be great for both Smash and Splatoon. Great updates! As for the K.Rool costume, let's not forget that there is a Link costume too. The Tournament mode also seems to be very well made.
That Dr. Mario stage is very faithful to the original game!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You're not being rude at all! It is mainly the fact that on most everyones lists for top DLC picks, K. Rool is either the 1st pick or at least in the top 3. Many websites such as Reddit have conducted votes to see which characters people voted for or would eventually vote for in the smash ballot. K. Rool dominated many of these votes followed closely by dixie, chorus kids and inkling.
This doesn't prove K. Rool is #1, but you sure as hell can't say he's only got a "vocal minority." You don't just consistently place high on almost every major poll across the internet when you're only a "vocal minority."

Ridley certainly wasn't a vocal minority, either. His popularity was even acknowledged, they just couldn't get him to work.

73V3N

Smash Rookie
>Implying Metroid is huge itself in today's gaming space
>Implying K. Rool would be especially well known to today's gamers

Ridley and K. Rool are mostly only supported by people who are stuck in the 90's and have no other Nintendo characters left to ask for.

In K. Rool's case it's even worse - I like DKC myself, but I never cared for K. Rool. In fact, I completely forgot about him, as I felt he was bland and uninspired as a villain (and Nintendo seemed to agree with me when they basically kicked him out of the DK games over the last few years).
I don't get why voting for a character we like makes us stuck in the 90's....
Everyone's allowed to have an opinion and want a character for this game. The popularity for Ridley was undeniable, and it's the same for K. Rool.
Besides, who do you want? Isaac or something? What gives you the right to say that we all don't have any other picks for DLC? That's generalization imo.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Solution: Make Gyorg a stage hazard who appears exclusively underneath the main platform and eats anyone gullible enough to swim-camp there, koing them instantly.
The issue is, aren't all new stages in Smash 4 not actually swimmable in? The only water I'm aware of that you can swim in are stages from Brawl. So for Great Bay, you probably just wouldn't be able to swim in it.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The issue is, aren't all new stages in Smash 4 not actually swimmable in? The only water I'm aware of that you can swim in are stages from Brawl. So for Great Bay, you probably just wouldn't be able to swim in it.
That's one of the probable outcomes for this stage. It seems that is going to appear on the 3DS, where swimming mechanics don't exist, so there's that. I wonder if they'll leave it the same way it was in Melee for for Wii U.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Finally, Hyrule Castle 64.
It's time to take a small break from competitive play and duke it out on this stage with your friends, with only the 64-items turned ON.

*edit: No Balance Patch?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's simple: whether you can swim or not depends on the game. You can swim in Brawl and Wii U but not in Melee or 3DS.

Look at Jungle Japes. In both Melee and 3DS the current pushes you rapidly but otherwise you fall through normally, however in Brawl you can swim as it pushes you.

And the water in Pac-Land isn't water at all. Like lava in the original Super Mario Bros.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's simple: whether you can swim or not depends on the game. You can swim in Brawl and Wii U but not in Melee or 3DS.

Look at Jungle Japes. In both Melee and 3DS the current pushes you rapidly but otherwise you fall through normally, however in Brawl you can swim as it pushes you.
Odd, I didn't realize that, but I guess it makes sense... hmm...

BiRdZ

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brock722
3DS FC
2535-4775-2786
I can now see that the ballot will make a lot of people salty because if only one character gets in, that means everyone elses favorite character didn't.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Who even are the villians of the new DK games? I honestly don't know. I don't even play DK games but I've known about K. Rool since I was a kid and thought he'd be cool in Smash since Melee. It's not a big deal to me personally, but K. Rool absolutely deserves to be in. He's not a throwaway slot, especially when you consider Nintendo's willing to scrape as far down as Bowser Jr. and Dr. Mario when it comes to putting Mario characters in the game. DKC was huge in the 90's.
I never said K. Rool doesn't deserve a slot, I just think people over estimate his popularity and overrate his merits, saying he deserves a place more than any other character.

I think, realistically, he will get in regardless at some point. If not as DLC, then in a future Smash game.

I also never said the new DK villains are amazing (though I much prefer the Snowmads to the Kremlings). I honestly don't think villains are the strong point of Donkey Kong games. It's hard to give a character like Donkey Kong a thrilling and engaging rivalry when his entire characterisation is "dumb ape who loves bananas". Literally anyone can fill the role. Mario is the best rival for him at this point.

Where do you get this notion I'm claiming the game sold because of K. Rool? No, K. Rool became popular because the game sold. People loved his characterization throughout the different games. And frankly K. Rool's bosses were some of the best bosses in every game, especially the first one, where K. Rool's boss battle was really the only good one.
You implied it by randomly mentioning how much DKC sold without connecting it to the character.

I have never seen anyone mention K. Rool even once outside of the Smash community. If he was popular, I would hear people talking about him outside of the context of Smash very often.

I once again bring Rosalina in as an example - she didn't have much of a following for Smash specifically. But she's undoubtedly one of Nintendo's most popular characters over the last (almost) decade, and people just want to see her in more games period. She gets fanart out the wazoo, she even got a lot of Miiverse fanart before Smash, she was the most used character in MK8 by far and still remains very heavily used about as much as the DLC characters, there was a noticeable backlash when she wasn't in Galaxy 2 as a main character, and Nintendo have outright said she's in 3D World because she's so popular. And as Smash specific fans seem to forget, Smash is a game made for Nintendo fans. So even if people didn't really campaign for her to be in Smash specifically, her popularity was obvious, so it would have influenced her inclusion. Anyone who had been following the Nintendo fanbase would have put her on their prediction list. Problem is, Smash speculators focus on Smash specific communities, which is why they always miss the mark.

If K. Rool was like that, he would be a strong contender as a popular character. But I literally NEVER hear people talk about him UNLESS it's to do with Smash. If he was as popular as you say, I would be hearing about him all of the time, with people talking about how cool a character he is or how fun he was to fight or what they'd like to see done with him. But I don't, and I think many people feel the same way.

K. Rool is not Ridley 2.0. With Ridley, there were hardly any facts for him and many against, but mainly emotion. Plus, the K. Rool community is much bigger due to the fact that he is more realistic at this point, and K. Rool had facts for him rather than the emotion that backed Ridley's support. K. Rool is incredibly popular among so many people and is the rep DK has been waiting for and deserves. Just that fact that he has a huge support group that is also very vocal support him enourmously. Like I said before, only the vocal people count at this point because no matter how large the community is for a character, if only a small number vote, that character will not have a good chance while K. Rool has the best of both worlds with a large vocal community.
By "vocal people" I mean the people talking on forums. People who go on about the character repeatedly. They don't encompass all ballot voters.

And define "huge", because I haven't noticed a particularly huge K. Rool fanbase.

I don't get why voting for a character we like makes us stuck in the 90's....
Everyone's allowed to have an opinion and want a character for this game. The popularity for Ridley was undeniable, and it's the same for K. Rool.
Besides, who do you want? Isaac or something? What gives you the right to say that we all don't have any other picks for DLC? That's generalization imo.
Now you're putting words in my mouth.

I never said it isn't OK to vote for the character you want, but the fact is many K. Rool voters don't even care about the character. Certain communities like Smashboards try to have a "council" of sorts that dictate what characters should be voted for, and characters like K. Rool are often favoured because they have seniority.

There are people who genuinely like K. Rool, but many people who vote for him don't care about him much. They couldn't passionately write me essays on why they love the character or explain his merits. They vote for him because "lol so retro". Many Smash fans don't play modern Nintendo games, so they only care about characters from the 90's or earlier getting in, since those are the only Nintendo characters they have any memory of.

Last edited:

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how it was specifically stated in the Ryu direct that DLC newcomers/charaters would be entirely fan service from that point on, and then he throws us a Mii Fighter costume of the #1 ballot choice. If the DLC is truly fan service, then Sakurai is just toying with us and hinting at K. Rool to try to throw us off, which is reasonable because he would want people to be genuinely surprised about a character's inclusion rather that completely expect it.

We just better get K. Rool.
you don't even know what the number 1 character in the ballot is, stop being a drama queen.
People need to stop assuming mii costumes mean they can't be a character. There are mii costumes with characters in the dam game.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I still have my hopes up for the Ice Climbers in some shape or form!

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
My heart sank to the bottom of my stomach when I saw the King K Rool costume... :-(

Very disappointed...

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Darn, I was hoping for nerfs to Luma, Shiek, and especially Ryu.
......Why?

Ryu isn't even top tier.

And top tiers don't need nerfs, they aren't overpowered. Rosalina and Sheik are just really good by design.

Lower tier characters just need buffs

---------------

Anyway, I wonder what other costumes we will get. I think there should be Nana and Popo costumes.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I ran into the following drawing, regarding this news.

Ironically, this doesn't completely wipe out K. Rool's DLC chances, since we've gotten Mii headgear that references Mario, Peach, Wario, and Zelda, and they're all playable characters.

Top Bottom