• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Speculation Chart [WE UPDATE NOW]

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I think Lucas was Sakurais choice loool all thesw chars that we call WTF chars that get in are all Sakurais choices loool so basicly Sakurai=WTF (0_0)

splat

Smash Lord
If King Boo can make it on there, would you be willing to put Petey Piranha up there as well?
Difference between Petey and King Boo is that while Petey is 'just' the king of a common enemy, King Boo is the antagonist for the Luigi's Mansion series.

I can understand many of the picks on the chart, but why on earth is Sylveon on there? Sure, it was revealed early, but that's hardly an argument: so was Zigzagoon in generation three. It's not a special Pokémon in any way, solely put out this early because the entire Eevee line is very popular and it'd create some buzz for generation six. Oh well, I think it'll be off the chart next update anyway.

As for replacements - I personally feel it's a bit awkward that many Smash fans overlook the Wars series so easily. Fire Emblem is constantly given three or four slots on rosters because there's 13 FE games now with the release of Awakening - while Wars is getting none, despite the series clocking in at twelve games. Granted, the last game was released five years ago (and never in Japan) and there are hardly any noteworthy characters, but skipping over a dozen games just feels off.

D

Deleted member

I guess the fact that it's been repeatedly said that the chart is being updated while the explanation for the changes is being worked on isn't clear.

So for that, I will remove the current chart until I am ready to show the new one.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Damn, I hadn't memorised it.

As for 3rd parties, Suda said he wanted Travis Touchdown in Smash 4 and Travis is certainly most well known on the Wii, complete with the "Shake weight" power up system on the Wiimote.

D

Deleted member

That's not enough.
Within context of what was said, it was more along the lines of "it'd be cool" instead of "I'm going to make sure he's in".

It's for this reason (and because of the Meat Boy fiasco) that I do not add new non-Namco 3rd Parties solely because of "creator wants them in" deals. The only exception was Layton, but that was because the prospect of him being in Smash was brought up to both Hino (his creator) and Sakurai at the same time. It isn't unreasonable to believe they discussed about it in private afterwards.
Unless there is sufficient reason to believe a creator of a character is willing to put in effort to get them added like Kojima did, those type of comments should be shrugged off.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I see. Maybe someone should keep track of which creators who have said it'd be cool to be in smash bros separatly. With sources, don't want to repeat the fiasco of that alleged French interview that said the Ice Climbers were out.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
Golden, in regards to the updated list, why not update this current list periodically, when you see fit or an argument is made to add or remove certain characters? What is the reason for making a complete "Version 2.0" list and releasing all changes at once? Honest question.

D

Deleted member

Golden, in regards to the updated list, why not update this current list periodically, when you see fit or an argument is made to add or remove certain characters? What is the reason for making a complete "Version 2.0" list and releasing all changes at once? Honest question.
This is not the first change and this will not be the last.
Aside from that, it's not a list; it's a full-on image chart. The chart itself is done, but I'm not finished with my explanations. I'd rather get all the explanations in before I get swarmed with multitudes of questions.

Chart updates typically do not happen unless there is quite a lot of changes to be done, as AEM is the one that sets it up.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Since the rule for a character requiring another character to get in is gone, does that mean Knuckles made the list?

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
I guess I didn't realize it was one big image. I figure it would be more efficient if it were just an assortment of images for each character, that can be removed or added at will. Would make things much easier and changes would be able to take place immediately after someone makes a sufficient argument for the change.

D

Deleted member

Since the rule for a character requiring another character to get in is gone, does that mean Knuckles made the list?
No, since Knuckles has a lot going against him moreso than Tails, Eggman, or Shadow.

D

Deleted member

Alright, here is the update. I decided to screw making lengthy explanations, so I'm just going to explain one key thing that absolutely needs to be explained.
Geno, Midna, and Micaiah are all on the poll for one reason and one reason only; they were popular Brawl requests in Japan that have not had their "fair" chance, so to speak. By which I mean their popularity didn't really rise until well after Sakurai had finalized the roster. This gives the possibility of being looked over this time around.

Anything else, I'll just explain when asked.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious about the protagonist from Wonderful 101. Particularly due to consistency. Not necessarily saying he doesn't deserve a spot, but, if so, shouldn't Bayonetta be on the list as well?

Wonderful 101 isn't a new 1st Party franchise, as I'm sure you're aware, so it doesn't have the advantage that say Shulk may have, it's just being published by Nintendo and developed by Platinum, so I wonder why Bayonetta, who is in the exact same position besides being more popular overall due to her first game, isn't on the list and he/they is/are.

Not to say that they both do or don't deserve a slot, but they're effectively in the same position in my opinion, so I am wondering about your reasoning behind that.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why is Micaiah on the chart now? Then please add Lyn in the next update.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Why is Micaiah on the chart now? Then please add Lyn in the next update.
Geno, Midna, and Micaiah are all on the poll for one reason and one reason only; they were popular Brawl requests in Japan that have not had their "fair" chance, so to speak. By which I mean their popularity didn't really rise until well after Sakurai had finalized the roster. This gives the possibility of being looked over this time around.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I think this is a good update. Not too much to complain about any more.

Is that Miyamoto's Mii? :chuckle:
Could you clarify if it is supposed to be Miyamoto's Mii specifically, or representing Mii's in general?

Edit: I'm not sure if Golden has me on ignore or not so if someone could relay this question it would be appreciated.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My bad. Must have missed Micaiah's name there.

But in that case, the same applies to Lyn as well. I heard that Lyn's fan demand was highest during 2006-2007.

EDIT: Also, is that pic of Newtwo/Mewtwo duo taken from Mario & Sonic Guy's avatar? You better give him credit. :troll: :smirk:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ok, I think that's just about every character with a realistic chance covered.

Knuckles isn't there but unless they want to represent the Sonic series and much as Mario he's not likely. Also, do you think it would be better to condense the Mishimas into one panel for the Tekken series as a whole?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I think this is a good update. Not too much to complain about any more.

Is that Miyamoto's Mii? :chuckle:
Could you clarify if it is supposed to be Miyamoto's Mii specifically, or representing Mii's in general?

Edit: I'm not sure if Golden has me on ignore or not so if someone could relay this question it would be appreciated.
That is Miiyamoto or MiyamoTo.
I believe Golden said something along the lines of him basically representing Miyamoto if he was to be in Smash (Which is something Miyamoto said would like to happen).
EDIT: Also, is that pic of Newtwo/Mewtwo duo taken from Mario & Sonic Guy's avatar? You better give him credit. :troll: :smirk:
I drew inspiration from it, yes.
Also, do you think it would be better to condense the Mishimas into one panel for the Tekken series as a whole?
Well no, unless they're going to switch out ala Pokemon Trainer. They're separate because they are all plausible Tekken canidates.

UGS.Android

Smash Cadet
Remove: Lucario, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Sonic and Snake

Add: Bowser Jr, Mewtwo, Birdo, Crystal, Megaman, Zero and Waddle dee

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So... get rid of some of the most interesting characters in SSB for slightly less interesting ones like Birdo, Bowser Jr and Waddle Dee?
The grass isn't always greener on the other side. You would get bored of these ones too.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

I'm not sure why are you saying this here. This thread to speculate solely on newcomer additions.

D

Deleted member

>that feel when there are very unlikely choices, but your favorite character still doesn't get attention...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't get why Lucina has to be paired with Chrom.
It's simply a "what if" scenario, along with Chrom by himself and Chrom paired up with Robin. It makes sense in context considering Fire Emblem: Awakening introduced a gameplay mechanic involving pairing up with other units and gaining boosts in stats. However, Chrom paired up with Lucina or Robin are the ones that would make the most sense in the context of Super Smash Bros since both are just as plot important (if not more) as Chrom himself.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
I don't really see Lucina happening, but we're even less likely to see Tactician/Robin/MU happening ever. I've said this before, but if we're gonna have a customizable character or player-representing character in SSB it would be a general one, perhaps Miis, not just one that solely represents your player character in Fire Emblem.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Keep in mind that this chart is not for which characters are likely, but rather what is possible. Obviously something like Mewtwo is more likely then Tails, but at the same time every choice still has some sort of probability. The exceptions are characters that have been flat out discredited by Sakurai himself, like Sukapon or Balloon Fighter.

D

Deleted member

I'm curious about the protagonist from Wonderful 101. Particularly due to consistency. Not necessarily saying he doesn't deserve a spot, but, if so, shouldn't Bayonetta be on the list as well?

Wonderful 101 isn't a new 1st Party franchise, as I'm sure you're aware, so it doesn't have the advantage that say Shulk may have, it's just being published by Nintendo and developed by Platinum, so I wonder why Bayonetta, who is in the exact same position besides being more popular overall due to her first game, isn't on the list and he/they is/are.

Not to say that they both do or don't deserve a slot, but they're effectively in the same position in my opinion, so I am wondering about your reasoning behind that.
Nintendo owns the copyright of Wonderful 101. They do not own the copyright of Bayonetta (that would be Sega).
Or at least, that's what people pointed out to me after I had removed the Wonderful 101 character. If you can prove otherwise, I will have him removed again.

My bad. Must have missed Micaiah's name there.

But in that case, the same applies to Lyn as well. I heard that Lyn's fan demand was highest during 2006-2007.
Note, I said in Japan. Lyn did not have much support in Japan, unless there is something Chrono is not telling me.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo owns the copyright of Wonderful 101. They do not own the copyright of Bayonetta (that would be Sega).
They own the copyright? I'm guessing that has to do with publishing? Surely you don't mean they own the actual Wonderful 101 IP? If so, that effectively makes it a new first-party IP that is being outsourced to Platinum, but I doubt that.

D

Deleted member

Notably, Platinum doesn't actually own any of their IPs.
Regardless of Nintendo publishing Bayonetta 2 for example, Sega still owns the IP. Hence why they are still credited within trailers for the game.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I actually hope one of the Wonderfuls show up. With Shulk and Dillon they would make a great "new IP" trio.

D

Deleted member

**** Micaiah, where's Lyndis??

Joking aside, now that I take a good look at it, there's a lot of strange choices in there..

King Boo? The Black dude from Other M?

I don't understand why more obvious choices like Travis, Bayonetta and Lyn aren't in but then you have very off the wall choices thrown in. I mean, if we're gonna go for all those super-unlikely characters, then we should just compile all the possible choices really... Prince of Sable, Sheriff and Duck Hunt Dog are also missing.

Imo, add:

Lyndis
Pkmn Trainer (Blue, White/Hilda, Black/Hilbert, N, Cynthia, Gen6)
Sylux
Leon (Star Fox)
Will/Lin/Isabella (Advance Wars DoR)
Andy
Prince of Sable
Sheriff
Duck Hunt Dog
Travis
Bayonetta
KOS-MOS
Klonoa
Simon Belmont
Death
Raiden (MGR)
Chun Li
M. Bison
Viewtiful Joe
Banjo and Kazooie (on the off chance that those rumors were true)

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I swear that if I'll win the lottery or get absurd rich somehow I will make that Banjo-Kazooie rumor real.

I SWEAR IT.

Top Bottom