• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Speculation Chart [WE UPDATE NOW]

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I think he's a fairly logical thinker. Just with some fundamental differences in how he views things to me, for example corporate motives (I'm more cynical).
But he usually follows that understanding within reason.

The only problem I have is the lack of emotional control.
For his level of general intelligence, his emotional development is waay behind so it's hard to guess his age.
A debate about characters in a video game doesn't have to be taken personally or get you so upset. Especially not to the point where it makes him enraged and starts with personal insults. His erratic emotions seem to interfere with his logic at times too.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
When I expected a FE discussion to be bad, this one breaks all records.

All I can say is this: everyone is biased and those polls aren't best suited to use as evidence, given that the sample of people involved needed to be much bigger. What we have here is nothing more than a "my favorite FE character is better than your favorite" discussion.

I would be perfectly fine if the only FE characters in Smash Bros. 4 were the veterans Marth, Roy and Ike. That doesn't mean, however, that I deny that Lyn, Micaiah, Anna, Chrom and the Avatar would offer new gameplay experiences as new characters with original movesets.

Sometimes, I really think of those FE discussions as childish. No offense to anyone here, but sometimes I really see your behavior towards this discussion as something childish.

Importance-wise, both Lyn and Micaiah are on the EXACT same level, being protagonists of the first part of the stories of FE7 and FE10. And if there's something those polls proved is that their popularity varies from sample to sample and doesn't leave much room for any definite conclusion. There's no way the question "who's more popular between Micaiah and Lyn?" is answered.

I conclude this small rant, by stating that, in my honest opinion, Lyn and Micaiah should BOTH be on the chart.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Lyn and Micaiah should BOTH be on the chart.
Nah Lyn should not be added, and Micaiah should be booted (along with Midna). Lyn has not been a popularly requested character for Smash Bros. since 2007, while Micaiah has not been since 2009. And if we are going to simply throw in characters that have been popularly requests for a brief point of time, we might as well throw in Caeda/Sheeda because was the most wanted FE female from 2009 to 2012 (and even less people ask for her nowadays than both Lyn and Micaiah).

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I think just everyone who has a fathomable chance should be added including Lyn and Micaiah.
If not to shut everyone up, then just because it will be more fun crossing them out when they get revealed as assist trophies or whatever.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If you want something to argue about other than FE, should Mega Man X be added to the list as there's no true way to be sure which Megaman will be the Representative. Heck, it could be Zero as all the MM Zero games were GBA exclusive.

D

Deleted member

Next update, Midna and Micaiah are getting the boot on the basis that they have not withstood the test of time like the other characters with post-finalization popularity in Japan.

Maybe then, this ******** argument about Lyn will cease.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Next update, Midna and Micaiah are getting the boot on the basis that they have not withstood the test of time like the other characters with post-finalization popularity in Japan.

Just saying, when you decided to include Micaiah, hadn't you seen this coming, given that Lyn is in general more popular on Smashboards than Micaiah?

D

Deleted member

I had underestimated the sheer bias. I was a fool to believe that there would be such a thing as listening to reason and logic.
But no, baby wants his bottle.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The thing I like most about debates on the internet is the maturity and... wait, this thinly veiled sarcasm is pretty immature, huh? I guess another thing I love about the internet is the hypocrisy and how it can bite you in the ass.

Now Imma change topic and bring PS AllStars into this. A lot their characters were old favorites like Parapa and Sir Dan but all the Third parties were, in some way, used as advertising. Even in Brawl they managed to sneak in some advertising for MGS4 on the PS3 no less. The Sonic series, not so much but it was a pretty last minute addition. If Snake is in, there's a good chance it could be Naked Snake instead, to promote The Phantom Pain. Besides, he's appeared in more games than Solid at this point.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
A few questions (and suggestions):
1. Why is Lucina paired up with Chrom? (imo, she should have a separate slot like Tetra).
2. Who are the three guys between "X protagonist" and Dillon? (Please include the names of the characters on the chart in the next update.)

D

Deleted member

The thing I like most about debates on the internet is the maturity and... wait, this thinly veiled sarcasm is pretty immature, huh? I guess another thing I love about the internet is the hypocrisy and how it can bite you in the ***.

Now Imma change topic and bring PS AllStars into this. A lot their characters were old favorites like Parapa and Sir Dan but all the Third parties were, in some way, used as advertising. Even in Brawl they managed to sneak in some advertising for MGS4 on the PS3 no less. The Sonic series, not so much but it was a pretty last minute addition. If Snake is in, there's a good chance it could be Naked Snake instead, to promote The Phantom Pain. Besides, he's appeared in more games than Solid at this point.
What is your point? Big Boss is already on the chart. (Though I wish AEM went with an image where he wears an eyepatch, so that people don't confuse him for Snake...)
If you wanted to discuss characters in general, this is not the thread for that. That would be the Character Discussion Thread.

A few questions (and suggestions):
1. Why is Lucina paired up with Chrom? (imo, she should have a separate slot like Tetra).
2. Who are the three guys between "X protagonist" and Dillon? (Please include the names of the characters on the chart in the next update.)
Lucina is paired with Chrom for the possibility that Chrom would have a partner to represent the dual fighting system Awakening introduced. Lucina and the Tactician are perfect candidates for this given their prominince in the story being about par with Chrom (slightly more in the Tactician's case to my knowledge).
As for Lucina by herself.....really hard to see "Marth" coming in when we have Marth already. Kind of like how Ninten is unlikely to be added with Ness in Smash already.
The characters you are questioning are Zael from The Last Story and Aeron from Pandora's Tower. Oh, and the Wonderful 101 Guy (name unknown). As for names for the characters on the chart....you would have to talk to AEM for that one. Not sure if he would want to do that....

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
@Golden I could always type up a list of every character on the chart for referencing, Up to you though

D

Deleted member

Thanks, but I don't want to put work on anyone else if I don't have to. I already feel bad enough that I'm having AEM make the chart for me because I lack the patience and skill to make it myself. Though he doesn't seem to mind. Or at least he hasn't raised issue about it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hmm... just noticed that Magnus was removed. May I ask why? (I'm guessing that he was removed to make way for Medusa.)

D

Deleted member

Hmm... just noticed that Magnus was removed. May I ask why? (I'm guessing that he was removed to make way for Medusa.)
Actually, making way for Medusa was coincidence, but he was removed because he is a relatively minor character in the game and to the series in the long run.
I was actually considering adding Viridi as well, due to Chrono mentioning the idea of Viridi being added as a last minute semi-clone of Palutena (like my idea for Medusa) due to Sakurai's liking of the character, but I figured since Sakurai went out of his way to make sure you don't fight her in Uprising, I don't think he'd want her in Smash Bros.

Don't listen to these stupid arguments, keep those two in and just add Lyn

Just saying, when you decided to include Micaiah, hadn't you seen this coming, given that Lyn is in general more popular on Smashboards than Micaiah?
Although their popularity is very close in general, with one being liked more by the West (Lyn) and the other being more like by the East (Micaiah)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
wait, why isn't kat and ana in this? I thought they had a good chance for a warioware rep. oh well :/

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'm not against him but damn it would be really awkward if he shows up. I mean four characters for StarFox? A franchise Nintendo obviously hates now? Lol.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Kat and Anna are simply not that notable compared to Mona, Jimmy T., and Ashley for a WarioWare rep.
really? who got an assist trophy AND has been in there since the first warioware?

...AND has swords? <-not sure how that would help, but whatever.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I had underestimated the sheer bias. I was a fool to believe that there would be such a thing as listening to reason and logic.
But no, baby wants his bottle.
It's nice to have a threadmaster so demeaning to those who participate.:)
I have to wonder if running this thread makes him so upset to the point of calling participants "********", why do it?

Lucina and the Tactician are perfect candidates for this given their prominince in the story being about par with Chrom (slightly more in the Tactician's case to my knowledge).
Kind of like how Mii is the perfect candidates for the customisable character Sakurai hinted at. :)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I was actually considering adding Viridi as well, due to Chrono mentioning the idea of Viridi being added as a last minute semi-clone of Palutena (like my idea for Medusa) due to Sakurai's liking of the character, but I figured since Sakurai went out of his way to make sure you don't fight her in Uprising, I don't think he'd want her in Smash Bros.
Yeah, and I think he would go to other "last minute" clones before he went for another Kid Icarus character. In Brawl, we also only received two last-minute clone newcomers (Toon Link and Wolf, and Wolf is pretty close to not being a clone). I think there are last-minute clones for Smash 4 there won't be any more than three of them.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, and I think he would go to other "last minute" clones before he went for another Kid Icarus character. In Brawl, we also only received two last-minute clone newcomers (Toon Link and Wolf, and Wolf is pretty close to not being a clone). I think there are last-minute clones for Smash 4 there won't be any more than three of them.
We only received two, but another three were planned. Possibly four, depending on what in the Hell "pra_mai" really is.

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
I think Meowth could get in there as a sort of a WTF character.
He definitely has the popularity via the anime. He is a Gen 1 Pokemon which I think does edge his chances a bit, he's already a poke ball, and he is a character that I think could have a good moveset if done right.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
He definitely has the popularity via the anime. He is a Gen 1 Pokemon which I think does edge his chances a bit, he's already a poke ball, and he is a character that I think could have a good moveset if done right.
I think Meowth's chances to get in are over. While he is certainly still extremely popular and recognizable to this day (thanks to the anime), considering the whining about the over-saturation of Generation 1 Pokemon in Smash Bros., and considering that there is no way Meowth would be able to bump out Jigglypuff and Pokemon Trainer, the deck is really stacked against him.

I do expect Meowth to return as a pokeball Pokemon though.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
really? who got an assist trophy AND has been in there since the first warioware?
Same could be said for the Metroid and Andross assist trophies. Both were assist trophies and been in their respective series since day one, so going by your logic we should include those too.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah I made a support thread for him but I know he's not got good chances. Unless thay make a spin-off that's nothing but Pokemon... Maybe that's what the 3DS version will be.

D

Deleted member

It's nice to have a threadmaster so demeaning to those who participate.:)
I have to wonder if running this thread makes him so upset to the point of calling participants "********", why do it?
I don't take offence to it, so it's cool.

Sticks and stones man.

On pra_mai

I'm inclined to believe it might just be a data placeholder. Usually, in most programs, developers leave some open data so they can easily work with it. Like a pre-wire frame model. Especially considering all of the character models stem from one source and then are molded into the playable figures. The wireframes/alloys are a sort of example of what I mean, sort of.

Then again, I know very little about coding and such, so don't look at me. I'm only an Artist/English teacher.

I also wonder what happened to Pichu. It seems likely to me all of the data from Melee was ported into Brawl so they could easily work from there. It'd be senseless to rework them from scratch, especially considering how the Wii and GCN architecture are so similar. It would also explain why data can be found for Doc Mario and such. But that only begs the question... Where IS Pichu?

pra_mai maybe? I doubt it... The mystery only gets deeper the further down we got he rabbit hole...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Where IS Pichu?
Sakurai either:
1. Planned for Plusle & Minun to replace Pichu (if that was what pra_mai was)
2. Never planned for a replacement for Pichu due to him being the only Smash Bros. character to be outright hated (though in Japan he certainly had some fans).

Sakurai had Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario planned for Brawl, and Toon Link was basically an updated version of Young Link. That is why I think pra_mai could have been Plusle & Minun, he was meant to replace Pichu the way Toon Link "replaced" Young Link.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai either:
1. Planned for Plusle & Minun to replace Pichu (if that was what pra_mai was)
2. Never planned for a replacement for Pichu due to him being the only Smash Bros. character to be outright hated (though in Japan he certainly had some fans).

Sakurai had Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario planned for Brawl, and Toon Link was basically an updated version of Young Link. That is why I think pra_mai could have been Plusle & Minun, he was meant to replace Pichu the way Toon Link "replaced" Young Link.
Yeah, I understand that theory, but then problem with Plusle and Minum is that the Katakana doesn't match up, and it can't in Japanese. I don't think pra_mai is something meant to be read in Japanese.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yeah, I understand that theory, but then problem with Plusle and Minum is that the Katakana doesn't match up, and it can't in Japanese. I don't think pra_mai is something meant to be read in Japanese.
For the scrapped victory theme listings, Mewtwo is listed as being "MYU2", so its possible Sakurai could have had a weird abbreviation for Plusle & Minun.

D

Deleted member

For the scrapped victory theme listings, Mewtwo is listed as being "MYU2", so its possible Sakurai could have had a weird abbreviation for Plusle & Minun.
Isn't Mewtwo romanized in Japanese to be "Myuutsu"? It'd make sense for the scrapped victory theme to be "MYU2".

D

Deleted member

Perhaps, but MYU is very easy to write in Katakana:
ミュウ

Pra on the other hand is impossible. I dunno man, I'm getting so confused with this...

Top Bottom