• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
My biggest problem with Game Grumps was how Arin and Jon (i think this issue still goes on with Dan also) would refuse to use things that would help them learn to play. Stuff that wouldn't really ruin the episode either.

Another problem i have is how Arin would say disgusting things like "all ATLUS games except for Persona 4 and Snowboard Kids are boring." or say that tutorials are bad game design when they were done pretty decently in things like Glover. (Glover needed them anyway. I love it to death but it really did need those tutorials)
As far as tutorials go, in many games they can seem forced. Or they might be drawn out. But if they are kept short and sweet, then it's no problem. And let's face it, newer games(and newer system controllers)are a lot more complex nowadays. So being able to figure out to do stuff on your own might be harder.

I will say that really obvious stuff like telling you to use the analog stick to move is dumb.

Though I can understand why so many people got annoyed when Arin kept messing up the simple stuff in Mario Sunshine. It can get annoying whenever you see someone get stuck on the same spot over and over. But, I think everyone has had moments like that. We just don't put it up on Youtube.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It did get a bit annoying when Arin and Jon/Danny were stuck on the same area for more than 1 episode.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Though I can understand why so many people got annoyed when Arin kept messing up the simple stuff in Mario Sunshine. It can get annoying whenever you see someone get stuck on the same spot over and over. But, I think everyone has had moments like that. We just don't put it up on Youtube.
Or, if you do have something like that, at least try to make it less monotonous (like cutting or speeding it up). So it doesn't take up two-thirds of the video length.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
As far as tutorials go, in many games they can seem forced. Or they might be drawn out. But if they are kept short and sweet, then it's no problem. And let's face it, newer games(and newer system controllers)are a lot more complex nowadays. So being able to figure out to do stuff on your own might be harder.

I will say that really obvious stuff like telling you to use the analog stick to move is dumb.

It's mainly the part where he implies that ALL tutorials are bad when that's not the case. I feel like he wants everything to be like how Mega Man X was for him.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
It's mainly the part where he implies that ALL tutorials are bad when that's not the case. I feel like he wants everything to be like how Mega Man X was for him.
Honestly, in terms of Megaman X, the controls to that aren't that complex. You dash, jump, wall jump, maybe switch weapons, and shoot. Now compare that to something like Glover. And you'll see a difference.

Now, there are times where a tutorial isn't that needed, or feels like like a nuisance. But there's a reason we have them around.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Honestly, in terms of Megaman X, the controls to that aren't that complex. You dash, jump, wall jump, maybe switch weapons, and shoot. Now compare that to something like Glover. And you'll see a difference.

Now, there are times where a tutorial isn't that needed, or feels like like a nuisance. But there's a reason we have them around.
Of course. Not saying that all tutorials are good either. I'm saying he wants everything to be easy to understand like Megaman X.

The other problem is that he's obviously having trouble on Glover and outright refuses to use the tutorials where they can help him understand the game.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

What about in Sonic 06, when they got stuck as Silver because they didn't pay attention during a hint bubble explanation for Silver's ability to bend iron gates?

That hint bubble where they were stuck for like two episodes.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I'm not even watching that series. :p
i thought it would be a good play through because I played it when I was younger, but once I took off the nostalgia goggles and saw this "game" coupled with Arin's ineptness at platformers, I try not to let nostalgia get the best of me anymore, Im looking at you Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Fun Fact: Glover suffers from the same problem as Kid Icarus Uprising. Awkward controls. But like Uprising, they're actually easy to get used to. (And apparently i'm the only person who actually used the tutorials when playing the game.)

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Was watching Persona 5 gameplay, then looked over to suggestions clicked a random one and found this glorious mashup :awesome:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Fun Fact: Glover suffers from the same problem as Kid Icarus Uprising. Awkward controls. But like Uprising, they're actually easy to get used to. (And apparently i'm the only person who actually used the tutorials when playing the game.)
I never did find Kid Icarus: Uprising to be awkward to control, but that may have to do with the control scheme reminding me of Sin & Punishment and me adapting to it quickly because of it.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
What about in Sonic 06, when they got stuck as Silver because they didn't pay attention during a hint bubble explanation for Silver's ability to bend iron gates?

That hint bubble where they were stuck for like two episodes.
Or better yet, every time they didn't know where to go next. So they just wandered around...

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Dillon is one of those games that I've considered, but always push off for one reason or another (the biggest one being there's another game I have my sights on).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I've still not played that one because of that.
The sequel, Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger, does have the option to use the ABXY buttons for left handed players.

It's can't compensate for an actual control pad, but it's still something.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
In case any of you forgot, the first 3 episodes of Legend of Korra Book 3: Change debut Friday (yep... THIS Friday). In the meantime, you can rewatch or catch up on or experience for the very first time the entirety of Book One: Air and Book Two: Spirits on Nick.com Streaming for ABSOLUTELY FREE http://www.nick.com/videos/playlist/legend-of-korra-full-episode-playlist.html

Seriously... they didn't advertise this at all, they just up and went "Book 3 starts Friday. Get hype"... no advance warning, no anything... this is borderline "Let's advertise the holiday's Big Wii U game at Pottery Barn Teen" levels of facepalm right here... aw well.. just like 3D World, I'm excited for Book 3: Change all the same.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
The sequel, Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger, does have the option to use the ABXY buttons for left handed players.

It's can't compensate for an actual control pad, but it's still something.
Will I miss much story-wise if I skip the first game?

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
In case any of you forgot, the first 3 episodes of Legend of Korra Book 3: Change debut Friday (yep... THIS Friday). In the meantime, you can rewatch or catch up on or experience for the very first time the entirety of Book One: Air and Book Two: Spirits on Nick.com Streaming for ABSOLUTELY FREE http://www.nick.com/videos/playlist/legend-of-korra-full-episode-playlist.html

Seriously... they didn't advertise this at all, they just up and went "Book 3 starts Friday. Get hype"... no advance warning, no anything... this is borderline "Let's advertise the holiday's Big Wii U game at Pottery Barn Teen" levels of facepalm right here... aw well.. just like 3D World, I'm excited for Book 3: Change all the same.
Yea I saw that earlier. I was pretty excited.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Will I miss much story-wise if I skip the first game?
You can play the sequel just fine, the only thing you'll miss out are brief references to the last game like reunions with certain characters or the events of the last time the Grocks attacked.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
You can play the sequel just fine, the only thing you'll miss out are brief references to the last game like reunions with certain characters or the events of the last time the Grocks attacked.
Cool, cool. Maybe I'll check that one out.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215

Wow that was unexpected, I saw a Book 3 trailer during E3 but I didn't think it would debut until the Fall, but I can't wait Book 3 "Changes" here I come!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

Was "this" Friday not... well... yesterday? Do you mean next Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom