• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
So went to SmashFest yesterday. Would've talked about it then, but I wiped out soon as I got home.

Anyway, me and my friend got to the Best But at Buckhead an hour early, and still had to wait until almost closing time to play (for the event, anyway). So, naturally, me and him had to wait a very, very long time to play the game. I made it my mission to use Mega Man and get the Smash Ball the entire time.

So some guys brought a laptop, emulator, and four GCN controllers (and adaptors!) and played Melee (tourney rules, FD, four players) during the wait, and eventually we got invited to join in. At one point, me and my friend had a 1v1 where I was Marth and he was Roy, and of course, Marth wins (though he threw me off with his counters, I tricked him by using Shield Breaker)
They played about twelve matches, where I won about six of them, I think. (I didn't participate in all of them) and they played until the laptop started dying.

So after that I met a couple of guys who were really cool and knew what they were talking about, and we talked to them until it was time to play. I basically had people to talk to on every side who were really cool. I noticed that there was a guy carrying around two 3DS's with Smash Run, but he ignored us.

So me and my newfound allies made a pact for everyone to pick Mega Man to generate hype (and so we could guarantee the Final Smash) in our second match.
The game froze when someone else was using Greninja's FS, which was funny.

So we played two 2min FFA matches. I picked Rosalina (which was a bad idea, as someone else chose ZSS). We played Skyloft because I wanted to hear Ghirahim's theme on the stage (and I did, I was happy about that).

In the second match, however, we all picked Mega Man (which made the crowd around us cheer) and the Boxing Ring (it was supposed to be Wily Castle, but I changed it :troll:)
I got second place in both matches, but I feel like I was the real winner because both times the guy who won did so accidentally, but more importantly, I GOT THE FINAL SMASH!!!

Everyone, of course, cheered.

So I went home with a Mario Kart 8 flag, a Paper Mario sticker book/diorama book, and a Smash Bros pin.
I can say, although I didn't win or play that long, it was very hype.

As for the game:

- It was definitely faster than Brawl.
- The Pro controller sucks for it.
- Rosalina and Luma are difficult to use because Luma dies very fast.
- Little Mac combos like a m*********
- Zero Suit Samus and Greninja = Super overpowered
My friends and I were at the Buckhead location as well. We waited all of Wednesday (we were the first in line not able to play due to BB hours) and came back yesterday only to have to wait another 2 and a half hours to play. At first the Pro controller really threw off my game, so my Samus match didn't go at all as intended, but I still placed second. I planned on picking Greninja the second time around but my friend beat me to the punch, so I picked the villager, who seemed really awesome and fun, but I didn't get much out of the two minute match since I couldn't figure out his move-set fast enough. Again **** those pro controllers.

Anyway yeah Little Mac seemed to dominate, but I'm not sure how he'll be in the final version - even with his stellar ground game, if he doesn't have enough options he'll be to predictable and easy to counter. Still my friend seemed to really enjoy him.

I was really impressed with the scene that turned out. Everyone was super friendly and knew their **** pretty well. I made a few contacts and I can't wait to play a few matches with them. I hope there's some sort of release party somewhere in the city later this year. I know I'll be all over that.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
- The Pro controller sucks for it.
Preach it man. Preach it.

To be fair, Brawl's demo wasn't severely different from Melee's regular game when it came out. Didn't it even have Wavedashing at the time?

We have a huge amount of differences, like extreme landing lag on some moves, and no manual L-Cancelling(that we can tell), and a lot of glitches that have come up. The games have froze more than once.
It had a form of Wavelanding there is a fundamental difference between Wavedashing and Wavelanding. Wavedashing is done by canceling the jump squat with an airdodge and pointing it towards the ground. Wavelanding is done after you completely jump and airdodging into the ground or a platform. It was done by using an attack that pulled a character forward and fast falling. L-cancel wasn't done with a button either, but by fast falling an attack and it got rid of all lag, like Z-cancel in 64. Sounded pretty awesome, I'll see if I can find the legendary post about the Brawl demo that explains it all.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It had a form of Wavelanding there is a fundamental difference between Wavedashing and Wavelanding. Wavedashing is done by canceling the jump squat with an airdodge and pointing it towards the ground. Wavelanding is done after you completely jump and airdodging into the ground or a platform. It was done by using an attack that pulled a character forward and fast falling. L-cancel wasn't done with a button either, but by fast falling an attack and it got rid of all lag, like Z-cancel in 64. Sounded pretty awesome, I'll see if I can find the legendary post about the Brawl demo that explains it all.
The key point stood, though. It was still fairly similar to Melee. SSB4's demo has been noted to play pretty uniquely from the rest of the games.

And I honestly never remember Wavelanding exists. I don't use it, just Wavedashing at times. Just kind of worthless with my mains, Bowser and Ganondorf, so... why concentrate on that move? I got stuff like Ukemis to care about.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The key point stood, though. It was still fairly similar to Melee. SSB4's demo has been noted to play pretty uniquely from the rest of the games.

And I honestly never remember Wavelanding exists. I don't use it, just Wavedashing at times. Just kind of worthless with my mains, Bowser and Ganondorf, so... why concentrate on that move? I got stuff like Ukemis to care about.
All character like to Waveland on platforms actually, as it is faster then jumping over them and landing on them by normal means.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
All character like to Waveland on platforms actually, as it is faster then jumping over them and landing on them by normal means.
And I still don't use it anyway. So it really doesn't matter. You're taking my point out of context. I don't remember the tech exists, just Wavedashing. My main characters are bad with Wavedashing, so I don't use it. Why would I use a tech I don't remember exists? Yes, I got what was wrong in the Brawl demo, my bad. I'm not sure why it matters beyond a small mistake like that. I did specify why I got it wrong, because I don't remember it exists. I never use Wavelanding as is, so...

mimgrim

Smash Hero
And I still don't use it anyway. So it really doesn't matter. You're taking my point out of context. I don't remember the tech exists, just Wavedashing. My main characters are bad with Wavedashing, so I don't use it. Why would I use a tech I don't remember exists? Yes, I got what was wrong in the Brawl demo, my bad. I'm not sure why it matters beyond a small mistake like that. I did specify why I got it wrong, because I don't remember it exists. I never use Wavelanding as is, so...
You are getting way to defensive lol. I didn't infer any of that, or even replying to your actualy. Just nitpicking that it was Wavelanding that was in the Brawl demo and not Wavedashing and also stating how L-cancel worked in the Brawl demo and nitpicking that Wavelanding is still useful for your character and that you should remember it in the future. I didn't make any comment toward your overall point because it was correct, the Brawl demo had a more overall Melee engine to it then it does now. But you are making up things about my posts that just weren't there lol. Not everyone is out to get you x_x.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You are getting way to defensive lol. I didn't infer any of that, or even replying to your actualy. Just nitpicking that it was Wavelanding that was in the Brawl demo and not Wavedashing and also stating how L-cancel worked in the Brawl demo and nitpicking that Wavelanding is still useful for your character and that you should remember it in the future. I didn't make any comment toward your overall point because it was correct, the Brawl demo had a more overall Melee engine to it then it does now. But you are making up things about my posts that just weren't there lol. Not everyone is out to get you x_x.
You're just not getting it, dude. Stop trying to give me suggestions I clearly don't want. That's very obvious by now.

And the fact of the matter is, by not saying "You are correct about this", I can't even tell what you're agreeing with. It's impossible for me to converse with you when you're going off about a tangent I just don't care about. Just stop. I don't care about Wavelanding. I shouldn't need to repeat this. Why are you still doing so? And yes, you did assert that I have to care about it. I was not asking for advice, was I? If I want advice, I will ask for it. I don't even remember how Wavelanding works, which is a major reason I never used it. I only remember how Wavedashing works, so I use it with a select few characters.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Greniiyiyijiyiyiyi!!! JA!!!

Can't decide if it's obnoxious, or hilarious.

It kinds sounded like Stitch from Lilo and Stitch to me. Much like you, I can't decide if it's obnoxious or hilarious. Considering that he's a frog, I didn't expect them to give him a tough guy voice, but I'm actually glad that they didn't because the whole "I have a deep dark voice because I'm a ninja" is kinda old hat to me. I guess I'm a fan of his voice in the end.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Supposedly, Link can now have the regular Boomerang (like in 64 and Melee) through customization.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
From what I've understand, Link's aerial attacks have less landing lag and Gale Boomerang functions better.
Good. I like Link's projectiles because I can use them and still move on my own.
Also, the fact that Link's aerials are better is great, too, because in all the other games I could only use his Smashes.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
How's about Zelda? I haven't heard one good thing about her, it looks like she may have been nerfed even.
From what I've read in the Zelda forums, it's a mixed bag. While there has been an improvement in general, other characters have gotten larger buffs. Seems like a repeat of Melee -> Brawl.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
How's about Zelda? I haven't heard one good thing about her, it looks like she may have been nerfed even.
Can't say through experience.

Though I want to say that Phantom Slash solves one of Zelda's more crippling problems with the lack of space control from previous games.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Can't say through experience.

Though I want to say that Phantom Slash solves one of Zelda's more crippling problems with the lack of space control from previous games.
But it is so slow and like one attack can get rid of the phantom before it even gets the chance to attack. At least according to AA.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think she's going to have to be treated differently more then ever. Launch with projectiles and teleport over to the opponent.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Don't have a source, but I heard people claiming that from an Amiibo video.
I know the default Gale Boomerang functions like the regular boomerang when you throw it, and does Brawl's tornado thing when it comes back.

Don't know if that what they mean or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom