• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I thought Palutena had a sense of humor considering how she banters nonstop with Pit, teasing him all the time.

Now that I think about it, Kid Icarus: Uprising's story is kind of like a more comedic shounen manga/anime...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The 3DS versions seems like it's going to have a bunch of new mini-games and modes besides Smash Run, judging by the E3 trailer.

0:42 - Home-Run Contest... with a bomb? Sounds dangerous.
0:46 - New Team Battle mode with 9 characters per team.
0:49 - FEVER! Apparently, you have to break stuff falling from the sky on a simpler looking Battlefield.
0:57 - New mini-game with circles featuring character artwork. Given how it's shown after some Trophy showcasing, I think this might be the mini-game to get more Trophies like Melee's Lottery and Brawl's Coin Launcher.

Last edited:

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
The 3DS versions seems like it's going to have a bunch of new mini-games and modes besides Smash Run, judging by the E3 trailer.

0:49 - FEVER! Apparently, you have to break stuff falling from the sky on a simpler looking Battlefield.
0:57 - New mini-game with circles featuring character artwork. Given how it's shown after some Trophy showcasing, I think this might be the mini-game to get more Trophies like Melee's Lottery and Brawl's Coin Launcher.
Seeing all this 3ds stuff makes me think what the wii u will have extra.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

The team battle thing has me interested the most. Maybe it'll work more like the team battle from Tekken. It's cool that they made variants of the Home-Run Contest now too.

D

Deleted member

The team battle thing has me interested the most. Maybe it'll work more like the team battle from Tekken. It's cool that they made variants of the Home-Run Contest now too.
Me too. I've always wanted a tag team mode type thing.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
People should stop with the Jojo (memes?) already. They were never funny to begin with.
I actually find them funny mostly because they're not as common as the other memes. So they don't die off that fast.

There's also the part where I'm a JoJo fan. Lol

Last edited:

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
So it has occurred to me that there are a few logical assumptions we can make about the state of the game (Smash 4), and I'd like to see how other people feel about what I think they might imply. I realize people don't like to think about the game either too optimistically or pessimistically, so I'm trying to think more logically.

Firstly, unless Sakurai has a very serious change of heart in relation to the competitive value of the game (which is actually possible given the very positive atmosphere of the invitational), we know that the game will be 'somewhere really in between Melee and Brawl in terms of speed.'

We know that Brawl's meta-game was very different from Melee, and most would consider it to be a lesser game than Melee, holding less competitive value due to a few limiting factors which might include floatiness, fewer movement options, less combo potential in general, and general slower pacing to the game.

In order to raise the competitive value of Brawl, Project M was made - a mod that shoehorns Brawl into an engine that much more closely resembles the faster pace of Melee.

So back to Smash 4. While the demo most of us saw and many of us actually got to play, was just a demo, we can still see that what Sakurai said held true: The game is faster than Brawl but slower than Melee. While we can't assume very much about the final version of the game, I think it's safe to say - based on what Sakurai has been iterating for more than a year now and the general direction the game seems to be heading in - Smash 4 will not be a sequel to Melee.

Now let's think about what that means. Almost the entirety of the Smash community was built around Melee. Most people agreed That Brawl simply didn't cut it in terms of viable competition based game-play. So even if Smash 4 is more competitive than Brawl, if it's still less competitive than Melee, the community will feel like they have been let down once again.

TL;DR - Even if Smash 4 is an improvement compared to Brawl, if it isn't an improvement to the engine Melee and Project M are based on, aren't we settling for less than we deserve as a community, regardless of how polished, balanced, and enjoyable the game is?

I think this means that it's almost totally inevitable that we'll see a Project M for Smash 4 within a year.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
How about we strive to play something different for a while? We'll see where the game stands from a competitive standpoint after, y'know, playing it.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
So it has occurred to me that there are a few logical assumptions we can make about the state of the game (Smash 4), and I'd like to see how other people feel about what I think they might imply. I realize people don't like to think about the game either too optimistically or pessimistically, so I'm trying to think more logically.

Firstly, unless Sakurai has a very serious change of heart in relation to the competitive value of the game (which is actually possible given the very positive atmosphere of the invitational), we know that the game will be 'somewhere really in between Melee and Brawl in terms of speed.'

We know that Brawl's meta-game was very different from Melee, and most would consider it to be a lesser game than Melee, holding less competitive value due to a few limiting factors which might include floatiness, fewer movement options, less combo potential in general, and general slower pacing to the game.

In order to raise the competitive value of Brawl, Project M was made - a mod that shoehorns Brawl into an engine that much more closely resembles the faster pace of Melee.

So back to Smash 4. While the demo most of us saw and many of us actually got to play, was just a demo, we can still see that what Sakurai said held true: The game is faster than Brawl but slower than Melee. While we can't assume very much about the final version of the game, I think it's safe to say - based on what Sakurai has been iterating for more than a year now and the general direction the game seems to be heading in - Smash 4 will not be a sequel to Melee.

Now let's think about what that means. Almost the entirety of the Smash community was built around Melee. Most people agreed That Brawl simply didn't cut it in terms of viable competition based game-play. So even if Smash 4 is more competitive than Brawl, if it's still less competitive than Melee, the community will feel like they have been let down once again.

TL;DR - Even if Smash 4 is an improvement compared to Brawl, if it isn't an improvement to the engine Melee and Project M are based on, aren't we settling for less than we deserve as a community, regardless of how polished, balanced, and enjoyable the game is?

I think this means that it's almost totally inevitable that we'll see a Project M for Smash 4 within a year.
Its not gonna be Melee 2.0 if that is what ur asking for it was always suppose to be a game in between brawl and melee. Also project M for wii u currently not possible since the console is currently unhackable and unmodable.

D

Deleted member

I really don't like this way of thinking.

You might not mean it this way, but it comes off as "Everything that is not Melee or better than Melee is bad." If we are in fact, a Smash Bros. Community, we should support this new game whether or not it is Melee or better than Melee. Melee will always be there. Smash 4 doesn't somehow delete Melee from existence. Also Project M is built from modifying Brawl's engine, so I guess this means that if the game is an improvement compared to Brawl in the communities eyes, it is okay :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

You might not mean it this way, but it comes off as "Everything that is not Melee or better than Melee is bad." If we are in fact, a Smash Bros. Community, we should support this new game whether or not it is Melee or better than Melee. Melee will always be there. Smash 4 doesn't somehow delete Melee from existence. Also Project M is built from modifying Brawl's engine, so I guess this means that if the game is an improvement compared to Brawl in the communities eyes, it is okay :troll:
Exactly this. People need to learn to except change. It's completely innapporpriate to judge a game from this early of a state. We can never grow as a Smash community if we keep on dwelling on the past. I'm not saying you can't have a preference, but why not just try out Smash 4 for a while. Maybe you'll even prefer it.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Exactly this. People need to learn to accept change. It's completely inappropriate to judge a game from this early of a state. We can never grow as a Smash community if we keep on dwelling on the past. I'm not saying you can't have a preference, but why not just try out Smash 4 for a while. Maybe you'll even prefer it.
This and fix'd.

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I should have started by stating my uncontrollable excitement for Smash 4 and with it, the financial crisis buying a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo in anticipation has left me in.

How about we strive to play something different for a while? We'll see where the game stands from a competitive standpoint after, y'know, playing it.

Smooth Criminal
I am really excited for something different. I'm really tired of everyone playing Fox all the time - the stale state Melee is in is frustrating to me.

I, in fact, did not mean it that way, you may want to re-read the post, or even just think about the TL;DR a little more. What I want is something that is different from Melee, but I want it to be as technically challenging and competitively invigorating as Melee was. I'm not sure how you could have gotten something as drastic as "Everything that is not Melee or better than Melee is bad."

I'm not content with the idea of "just wait for the game to come out!" At that point it's too late, and we could be stuck with a game that is again sub-par.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Nope.

A different engine isn't a bad engine. People weren't turned off because of it's physics or anything like that. They were turned off because offense wasn't rewarding and the game rewarded defense way more. If hitstun wasn't cancelable, shielding wasn't quite as powerful, momentum was still there in full, and no tripping not many people would have gave up on it, even if everything else stayed the same.

It won't be done by the original PMBR however. They have already stated they have no plans to do a Project M for Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

I, in fact, did not mean it that way, you may want to re-read the post, or even just think about the TL;DR a little more. What I want is something that is different from Melee, but I want it to be as technically challenging and competitively invigorating as Melee was. I'm not sure how you could have gotten something as drastic as "Everything that is not Melee or better than Melee is bad."

I'm not content with the idea of "just wait for the game to come out!" At that point it's too late, and we could be stuck with a game that is again sub-par.
I got it from this; "if it isn't an improvement to the engine Melee and Project M are based on, aren't we settling for less than we deserve as a community, regardless of how polished, balanced, and enjoyable the game is?"

What we deserve as a community is a Super Smash Bros. game, something that Sakurai and all the other people working on the game are currently working to give us. Now, would it be good if the game has a competitive scene like Melee's? Sure. Does the game have to be that? No. It just has to be playable. Complaining about an unfinished demo version of the game doesn't help. And no, Brawl is not any less playable than Melee is. It is a different game. Being different does not make it unplayable. Being less competitive does not make it unplayable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I am really excited for something different. I'm really tired of everyone playing Fox all the time - the stale state Melee is in is frustrating to me.
Right. Everybody plays Fox.

You must not keep up with Melee. Like, at all. Not everyone plays Fox---you're forgetting Sheik, Falco, Captain Falcon, Peach, Marth, Ice Climbers, hell, throw in the odd Doctor Mario and Pikachu. That's fine if you think the overall meta is becoming stale, but if your definition of stale is everybody playing the same character (especially when that's clearly not the case), you kinda need to broaden your horizons a little bit.

If you're not content with the idea, then don't buy the ****ing game. It's that simple. Heaven forbid you have buyer's remorse! Caveat empor and all that.

Or you could just pony up the money once and just play the damn game for yourself, and draw your own conclusions.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Something I'm going to do when I get the game is make a Peach vs. Rosalina vs. Zelda vs. Palutena FFA. Which of Nintendo's magical girls is the strongest?

I remember when people wanted more females and it looks like it really happened.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Right because it isn't like a Yoshi main, a C falcon main, a Falco main, a Peach main, a Puff main, or a guy who has been playing more Sheik then anything recently got into the MLG pro bracket for Melee this year.

Last edited:

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
Well I'm glad everyone is keeping such a positive attitude on the game, I just wanted a little feedback on what I was mulling over last night.

I got it from this; "if it isn't an improvement to the engine Melee and Project M are based on, aren't we settling for less than we deserve as a community, regardless of how polished, balanced, and enjoyable the game is?"

What we deserve as a community is a Super Smash Bros. game, something that Sakurai and all the other people working on the game are currently working to give us. Now, would it be good if the game has a competitive scene like Melee's? Sure. Does the game have to be that? No. It just has to be playable. Complaining about an unfinished demo version of the game doesn't help. And no, Brawl is not any less playable than Melee is. It is a different game. Being different does not make it unplayable. Being less competitive does not make it unplayable.
You're right, in fact one of the places I most frequently play Smash only has access to Brawl, and in some ways I really do prefer it to Melee. In a lot of ways it is a hell of a lot more enjoyable. After waiting in line for several hours this week though, and seeing people go absolutely nuts over some really tight 1 on 1's PM matches people were playing on their laptops, it did get me wondering about the competitive side of things.

Right. Everybody plays Fox.

You must not keep up with Melee. Like, at all. Not everyone plays Fox---you're forgetting Sheik, Falco, Captain Falcon, Peach, Marth, Ice Climbers, hell, throw in the odd Doctor Mario and Pikachu. That's fine if you think the overall meta is becoming stale, but if your definition of stale is everybody playing the same character, you kinda need to broaden your horizons a little bit.

If you're not content with the idea, so wishy-washy about it, then don't buy the ****ing game. It's that simple. Heaven forbid you have a buyer's remorse! Caveat empor and all that.

Or you could just pony up the money once and just play the damn game for yourself, and draw your own conclusions.

Smooth Criminal
Firstly I'd like to ask that you be a little more respectful in your posts. I'm not throwing any hate around, I'm just trying to think about the game in a logical sense, and think about ways that it can be improved. I know a lot of people are crying about a game that hasn't even come out, and if I've come off that way I'm sorry - I'm just trying to get some constructive discussion going about the game.

Secondly while I may not have many posts on this forum I can assure you that I've been following Smash for almost as long as it has been around to follow. I think you're kind of contradicting yourself - you said that we should be happy to see something different, and then when I agree with you that because Melee has been around for so long, of course the meta is getting a little stale, you go off on this ****-talking spree about how I "obviously don't follow the game." Yes I understand Fox isn't the only character, and maybe that exaggeration wasn't something I should have used to exemplify such a tired meta-game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom