• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Well, considering it's related to the current topic- if you could choose just three Pokemon to have a mega evolution, who would you choose?

For me, it'd be Nidoking, Breloom, & Typhlosion.
Milotic, Ludicolo, Metagross.

Depending on my mood, I may swap Ludicolo for Salamence, Flygon, or Glalie though.

Also, I did Gen III only since the Gen III remakes are the most current games and thus these Gen III mega evolutions seem to be more likely to me than other Generations getting them. (YES, I know Mega Evolutions were not restricted to Gen VI in X and Y, and probably won't be for the remakes, but these are what I consider most likely at this time.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
You misunderstood. That's exactly what people thought they were if they weren't Megas. Both were incorrect. They're a new type of evolution apparently.
Yeah, I realized that when I made the edit. The thing is, no matter what, it doesn't fit any criteria. Either GF completely mislead us in the advertisements and these things are Forme changes, or they're Mega Evolutions/Forms with a twist that don't change much at all appearance-wise.

Not exactly. Devolution is already a thing in Digimon. Pokemon didn't have it yet. That's why the comparisons fall a bit flat. I get that they're similar in concept, but work differently too. But also the Ancient Digimon disappeared. Kyurem didn't, he just combined with his parts to take upon his oldest form. I think you might be seriously misunderstanding what I'm saying.
It still could've been included if desired, whether by it being a blurb or otherwise within the Pokémon canon, like defining Kyurem "devolving" into Black/White Kyurem. Of course, that's getting into hypotheticals, so to just conclude I think that since they call these changes for Kyogre and Groudon "devolutions" shows that to GF, this is a new concept exclusive (so far) only to them, not Black/White Kyurem.

Also, technically it did. Consider that at the point of the split, the Original Dragon ceased to be and the three counterparts were formed. In a similar sense, the Ancient Digimon gave their power in the form of warriors and they ceased to be. I guess in short, to just focus on the core similarity, both examples are those that split and can reform to an original being, but aren't considered devolutions of any of the components despite the potential of calling them such.

True. Fair point. As for the Kabutops bit, that applies to all the Fossils. It's plausible, but canon doesn't even support the Aerodactyl thing. It never mentions why an old fossilized Pokemon that was resurrected somehow could evolve. It's entirely unexplained.
True.

Pretty sure they already made that clear by making zero mentions of Mega Evolutions. I think, other than using an item to obtain that form(the likely scenario), they're nothing like Mega Evolutions. And yes, I did misunderstood. I thought you were saying they were Megas.
Like I said, it depends on how they play them. If they take more from Mega Evolution like having an item, ~100+ stats changes, similar origins, etc. then they could still be an offshoot of Mega Evolutions. If not, then they're just forms or formes.

Black/White Kyurem was talked about previously, so it was easy to tell it was a forme change, at least to me. If you knew the lore, it made a lot of sense. Mega Mewtwo Y was a surprise only due to the introduction of Mega Evolutions. Once we saw that, it felt obvious for some he was a Mega Pokemon. The fact there were two was the true surprising point. Also, I'm pretty sure the movie itself only referred to it as a forme. That could be for many reasons. Mistranslations, maybe they didn't intend to make it a Mega at first, who knows.
The thing is that's in hindsight, before, we had no information of what they were, how they were formed, so on and so forth. So for the most part, until GF felt willing to give us more information, we knew very little of them. Similarly, the only thing we really know about these appearances for Primordial Groudon/Kyogre is their names, and that they're "New Pokémon." For the former point, that doesn't really help us much, the latter like I said in the edit does imply something closer to MegaMewtwo Y and Black/White Kyurem rather then things like Spring Deerling, which they've never played up in the same manner. I'll admit that I could be wrong and they're more like the latter, but considering GF, I think it's probably a Mega with a twist of some sort to differentiate.

Also, I don't think they ever said what it was in the movie, at least as far as I can recall. I do think they probably would've had some idea of what they were going to do with it as the mechanic's pretty ingrained in the lore and gameplay of XY, but without a document I won't say for certain.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd like to see a Mega Seismitoad so that it's actually good. That way, I can have a bad*** frog squad with Drizzle Politoed, Protean Greninja, and Mega Seismitoad.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I realized that when I made the edit. The thing is, no matter what, it doesn't fit any criteria. Either GF completely mislead us in the advertisements and these things are Forme changes, or they're Mega Evolutions/Forms with a twist that don't change much at all appearance-wise.
Well, since they used a different term, being Ancient Devolution, there's no twist. They just aren't Megas period. Mega Pokemon specifically use a Mega Stone and have Mega in their name. They specifically use some kind of term to mean Ancient(or other similar words). They're more akin to a Forme Change by definition, I guess.

It still could've been included if desired, whether by it being a blurb or otherwise within the Pokémon canon, like defining Kyurem "devolving" into Black/White Kyurem. Of course, that's getting into hypotheticals, so to just conclude I think that since they call these changes for Kyogre and Groudon "devolutions" shows that to GF, this is a new concept exclusive (so far) only to them, not Black/White Kyurem.
I wasn't saying otherwise. I meant that the concept exist already, that's all. Returning to your first form in some way. That particular concept. The fusion concept and ancient devolution idea are still separate concepts, of course.

Also, technically it did. Consider that at the point of the split, the Original Dragon ceased to be and the three counterparts were formed. In a similar sense, the Ancient Digimon gave their power in the form of warriors and they ceased to be. I guess in short, to just focus on the core similarity, both examples are those that split and can reform to an original being, but aren't considered devolutions of any of the components despite the potential of calling them such.
They're still different overall. Ignoring the devolution point for a bit, the Ancient Digimon actually disappear. Kyurem is still there and didn't lose all of its power. Very similar concepts, mind you.

Yeah. Fun idea, though.

Like I said, it depends on how they play them. If they take more from Mega Evolution like having an item, ~100+ stats changes, similar origins, etc. then they could still be an offshoot of Mega Evolutions. If not, then they're just forms or formes.
I'm thinking they're none of the above, and their own unique mechanic.

The thing is that's in hindsight, before, we had no information of what they were, how they were formed, so on and so forth. So for the most part, until GF felt willing to give us more information, we knew very little of them. Similarly, the only thing we really know about these appearances for Primordial Groudon/Kyogre is their names, and that they're "New Pokémon." For the former point, that doesn't really help us much, the latter like I said in the edit does imply something closer to MegaMewtwo Y and Black/White Kyurem rather then things like Spring Deerling, which they've never played up in the same manner. I'll admit that I could be wrong and they're more like the latter, but considering GF, I honestly think it's probably just a Form/Mega with a twist of some sort.
Not really. We knew Kyurem was split up very early on. We knew little about Groudon/Kyogre at first. What we know is that they're Ancient Pokemon via Ancient Devolution. Also, there's no Pokemon that has a Primordial/Ancient transformation(I'm using this term instead of form since it might not be a form change) besides them. That's why I'm getting the impression it actually is a new form of "evolution". Who knows, there might be more in the future. Possibly for a lot of regular Legendaries or ones that existed for ages. Ancient Lugia and Ancient Ho-Oh could make sense. Mewtwo was created in a Lab, so it having an Ancient transformation wouldn't make much sense.

Also, I don't think they ever said what it was in the movie, at least as far as I can recall. I do think they probably would've had some idea of what they were going to do with it as the mechanic's pretty ingrained in the lore and gameplay of XY, but without a document I won't say for certain.
Correct, they didn't. It was treated as a form change(in practice) due to no Mega Stones existing in the movie. In the same sense how Aegislash can change forms on a whim. Another movie using Mega Mewtwo Y came out, though. It was a short one. I forgot the details, annoyingly so. It fought a fairly mean Pokemon Hunter instead of Shiny Genesect.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
The new Swampert Mega Evolution further proves why I hate them. It looks like they are trying to satisfy a certain liking of Inflation to be honest. They wrecked one of my fave Pokemon. I don't see why Mega Evolution was necessary, these new changes to Pokemon make me like it less and less, and I've been a fan since I was born, and it's kind of sad that it has to happen that way. Gen 5 and Gen 6 were beaten as fast as possible because they lacked the charm I felt in the first four gens.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
The new Swampert Mega Evolution further proves why I hate them. It looks like they are trying to satisfy a certain liking of Inflation to be honest. They wrecked one of my fave Pokemon. I don't see why Mega Evolution was necessary, these new changes to Pokemon make me like it less and less, and I've been a fan since I was born, and it's kind of sad that it has to happen that way. Gen 5 and Gen 6 were beaten as fast as possible because they lacked the charm I felt in the first four gens.
More Pokemon for me. :dr^_^:

Although I don't see what Gen 5 did that made it lack the charm of the first 4.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Mega Raichu, Mega Wigglytuff, and Mega Persian are long overdue...mascot status anyone?

Also, I saw a "Light" typing up there. Finally someone who agrees <3

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't know if anyone saw this yet. But I just remembered this not too long ago. It's freaking funny.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Tough.

Probably ocarina of time.

Wind waker and Majora's mask would of both been just as good, but Ocarina of time has a lot of exploitable glitches. One's that might make things more interesting after I beat it for the 50th time.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Tough.

Probably ocarina of time.

Wind waker and Majora's mask would of both been just as good, but Ocarina of time has a lot of exploitable glitches. One's that might make things more interesting after I beat it for the 50th time.
I posted it more for the fact that it was XBOX who tweeted it.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well, since they used a different term, being Ancient Devolution, there's no twist. They just aren't Megas period. Mega Pokemon specifically use a Mega Stone and have Mega in their name. They specifically use some kind of term to mean Ancient(or other similar words). They're more akin to a Forme Change by definition, I guess.
Not really, the twist could be in the name. The idea could essentially be "it's Mega Evolution, but devolving so it's different!" Similarly, we have not seen any indication of how these things are formed, so saying "well they don't have a stone" is completely haphazard as we don't even know how they're formed, much less if they hold an item.

I wasn't saying otherwise. I meant that the concept exist already, that's all. Returning to your first form in some way. That particular concept. The fusion concept and ancient devolution idea are still separate concepts, of course.
I still disagree with that, but apparently we're not budging, so lets move on.

They're still different overall. Ignoring the devolution point for a bit, the Ancient Digimon actually disappear. Kyurem is still there and didn't lose all of its power.
Not really, the thing is the Original Dragon is technically non-existant just like the Ancient Digimon are. Neither are physically present in the world where their lore takes place at the point in time we see the story, and like them, it has components present like Kyurem, but they're not the Original Dragon on their own. They form the whole, but none of them are the Original Dragon in and of themselves.

I'm thinking they're none of the above, and their own unique mechanic.
Potentially, but that's something we have to wait and see.

Not really. We knew Kyurem was split up very early on.
Yes, we knew that they split up, but we didn't know how they'd be formed. Before Black/White 2, we had no clue we'd have two forms for Kyurem, how they'd be formed, or even if we got two games. Similarly, GF never gave out how they obtained that form, we had no knowledge of the DNA Splicers until the release of the game.

So knowing that, GF will probably keep information about these two close to the chest until they feel ready to reveal them, if they even get around to it.

That's why I'm getting the impression it actually is a new form of "evolution". Who knows, there might be more in the future. Possibly for a lot of regular Legendaries or ones that existed for ages. Ancient Lugia and Ancient Ho-Oh could make sense. Mewtwo was created in a Lab, so it having an Ancient transformation wouldn't make much sense.
This is where we differ, we both agree that they're "evolutions" of sorts, but in what manner is where the difference lies. Personally, I feel that it's still going to play close to the Mega Evolution concept, whereas you, you think it's going to be completely different, and at best draw from Forme Changes.

Also, potentially yes, I could easily see them pull this mechanic for the other mascots (though maybe under a different name).

Correct, they didn't. It was treated as a form change(in practice) due to no Mega Stones existing in the movie. In the same sense how Aegislash can change forms on a whim. Another movie using Mega Mewtwo Y came out, though. It was a short one. I forgot the details, annoyingly so. It fought a fairly mean Pokemon Hunter instead of Shiny Genesect.
The anime also had Kyurem evolve into its forms without any of its counterparts, so that's not a good point. The anime does what it does, it plays by its own rules and has its own continuity, and thus it's not a good idea to use it to define canon in the games.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Mega Raichu, Mega Wigglytuff, and Mega Persian are long overdue...mascot status anyone?

Also, I saw a "Light" typing up there. Finally someone who agrees <3
I still believe Dedenne will become Raichu's first form and Pikachu will end up being a final form, and they're going to give him a mega-evolution.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Last edited:

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
Query: will there be any Skype/Vent/Mibbit hangouts where people from the forum can connect and talk about/react to conferences and the Nintendo Direct together? I remember one from last year that was pretty hype.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Query: will there be any Skype/Vent/Mibbit hangouts where people from the forum can connect and talk about/react to conferences and the Nintendo Direct together? I remember one from last year that was pretty hype.
I'd be hyped for something like this.

If it doesn't still exist from last time, should we create it? My Skype's the same as my Nintendo ID in postbit.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't know different digimon could use attacks other digimon had

Zudomon and Beetlemon both have Thor's Hammer

and Beetlemon doesn't even have a hammer

Edit: I'm curious, Grottomon was obviously a grottomon because he had the spirit of the warrior

But what was he BEFORE he had the spirit of the warrior?

When they finally got rid of him he just turned into a digi egg

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I didn't know different digimon could use attacks other digimon had

Zudomon and Beetlemon both have Thor's Hammer