• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
If anything, I really do it because it's nice to think outside the box. You'll be surprised how challenging it can be.
Let's face it, the Hoenn starters aren't half-bad Pokemon. And they're getting Mega Evolutions. Who wouldn't want that? It's like a dream come true.

Besides, it's nice to use Pokemon that I never really hear talked about. Everyone goes on about how Blaziken and Lucario are such great Pokemon (and for good reasons). But I remember using Sawk of all things during X/Y. And that thing could wreck if you allowed it to. Though for right now I'm just trying to construct a team out of my memories of Ruby and Emerald.
The team of my memories: Blaziken.

That was my team, not even joking. I had HM slaves, of course. But he did all of the fighting. That is a bad habit I have gotten into since Pokemon Red. I just use one Pokemon the entire time; the starter, of course. X and Y was great because it was my first real team. Hopefully the EXP share returns.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Corocoro is here if you havent seen it! It's amazing! iPad won't let me post the link though.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I liked the X and Y EXP Share because it removed most of the boring grinding. My least favorite part of the Pokemon series is the grinding, and that made it a lot less common and more fun.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
If anything, I really do it because it's nice to think outside the box. You'll be surprised how challenging it can be.
Let's face it, the Hoenn starters aren't half-bad Pokemon. And they're getting Mega Evolutions. Who wouldn't want that? It's like a dream come true.

Besides, it's nice to use Pokemon that I never really hear talked about. Everyone goes on about how Blaziken and Lucario are such great Pokemon (and for good reasons). But I remember using Sawk of all things during X/Y. And that thing could wreck if you allowed it to. Though for right now I'm just trying to construct a team out of my memories of Ruby and Emerald.
Mmm, true. But I mostly use Pokemon that align with me in some way. Some I like their designs, some I like their types. Mudkip was a design love but somehow changed too much for me when evolving. Swampert as a whole isn't too bad. If I must, I may run him. But I'm also heavily looking at Lanturn because I love her and somehow did not make her a party Pokemon in those two Emerald runs. Though, at the same time, there's nothing saying I can't use both.

Ideally I'd love to import some bred Pokemon from X as soon as possible, but if that's not, I'll be looking at what other Gens will be available in ORAS like they did in the Pokegear radio for HGSS. I don't like making teams too similar to my past teams due to nostalgia for my first Pokemon, but if there's no option but to use only Gen 3's for the whole run pre E4, then I'll have to do so. I don't choose Pokemon based on their stats, or popularity, just whether or not I personally like them. :p

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Mega Evolutions with the exception of Mega Kangaskhan are major changes period. They aren't lame palette swaps. They're different formes in design. Also, some of them have proper translations like "Dark" for one of them. That doesn't make sense for a Mega, it makes sense for a Forme difference. They would've said Mega as their names, but the translations are completely different.
And by listing the exception, you've shown that it's entirely possible for minor changes to happen in Mega Evolutions. Pallete Swaps may be "lame," but the fact of the matter is it's entirely possible for Megas to do just that if it is the plan, Kangaskhan shown how little things can change in the base form.

Also, it's highly unlikely they'd play up "Forme changes," as those don't have stat or ability changes, it would make the entire hyping of these things pointless.

And yes, Kyurem is the same thing as a devolution at that point. It went to its original form instead. That's what de-evolving means, going to your first form, which is what it did. It's just a different name, yes, but they work the same way, returning to their primal forms. Just like Kyogre and Groudon are doing.
Absolutely not, Black/White Kyurem are not a degradation or "devolution" of the original Kyurem form, if anything, they're an evolution of Kyurem as they ascend it above what it originally was. Think of it this way: Lets take the case of Susanoomon, it, like Kyurem, is formed from many different spirits coming together to form a supreme being, but that being is not "devolving" into its form, it's considered and classified as an "evolution" of the spirits. That is more like what Kyurem underwent, not degradation.

These forms don't do that, they're classified as "devolutions" of the original Kyogre and Groudon, and it's highly unlikely they absorb any Pokémon as it's not a part of or implied in their lore or otherwise. So they're not comparable.

I stand they're not Mega Evolutions in any way. Albeit, it's possible I could be wrong, but there's zero evidence to support Mega Evolutions, as the term is not used at all, just one referring to devolutions and primal formes period. There's no Mega Stones, symbols, etc. on there either. The evidence doesn't add up to anything more than a Forme change at best. Likely their original formes, which again, is way more realistic considering they're ancient Pokemon. Mewtwo's Mega Evolutions are likely due to it being effectively a Mutant who was self-created. Being able to mega evolve in two different ways is logical too. Mega Evolution is not "Ancient Evolution" by default, and only Aerodactyl is supposed to be taking on its true design, being as noted a devolution by design.
I can understand that, but personally I just feel they're more then likely Mega Evolutions with a twist. They take cues from it, the root word of their "Ancient Devolution" terminology relates back to Evolution, among other things. So at this point, I'll also stand by my own personal theory, at least until more information comes out that either supports or hinders the idea.

As for the lack of symbols, consider that we're not seeing them at the beginning of their transformation, they could still have it and we don't see it.

Also, Aerodactyl is a hypothesis, and one that doesn't really make sense considering evolution is supposed to advance the original form, not regress it. Even then, it actually supports the point, if Aerodactyl went back to its original form via Mega Evolution, it's entirely believable that Kyogre and Groudon did the same.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
No one wants to post corocoro since I ant? It has new megas and story details!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And by listing the exception, you've shown that it's entirely possible for minor changes to happen in Mega Evolutions. Pallete Swaps may be "lame," but the fact of the matter is it's entirely possible for Megas to do just that if it is the plan.

Also, it's highly unlikely they'd play up "Forme changes," as those don't have stat or ability changes, it would make the entire hyping of these things pointless.
It's not unlikely at all to play it up. It makes more sense for them to be primal forms since there's no reason for them to have Mega Evolutions at all storyline wise. They're blatant ancient Pokemon.

And I severely doubt Palette Swaps will ever happen for Megas outside of being a Mega of a Shiny Pokemon period. I don't see any reason to waste time on the model instead of actually making a legitimate change. If it was as easy as that, everybody would have a Mega Evolution. But they don't. And it's not an exception in the same way you're thinking of. The exception is because instead of adding stuff, they just had the baby come out of the pouch. It's still a large change to their overall design in how they fight and their body is not effectively the same. It's two bodies. It's still not a palette swap.

Absolutely not, Black/White Kyurem are not a degradation or "devolution" of the original Kyurem form, if anything, they're an evolution of Kyurem as they ascend it above what it originally was. Think of it this way: Lets take the case of Susanoomon, it, like Kyurem, is formed from many different spirits coming together to form a supreme being, but that being is not "devolving" into its form, it's considered and classified as an "evolution" of the spirits. That is more like what Kyurem underwent, not degradation.
Degradation =/= Devolution. Not the same thing. Kyurem's Forme Changes are returning him to his first form, which is what a devolution is period. He evolved when separated, and devolved when combined. Effectively, anyway. Devolution does not mean growing weaker. Mega Aerodactyl is supposed to be its initial form, and is what it was like before it evolved to be its current form. That doesn't make it weaker. Evolution doesn't automatically make you more powerful. It's even a fact of life. When we evolved from animals, we lost a lot of physical traits to gain more intelligence. Unless you don't believe in real life evolution, in which case, ignore the analogy.

These forms don't do that, they're classified as "devolutions" of the original Kyogre and Groudon, and it's highly unlikely they absorb any Pokémon as it's not a part of or implied in their lore or otherwise. So they're not comparable.
That's ignoring entirely what the comparison is anyway. You're taking it completely out of the context. They're both what they used to be in the past. That's essentially a Devolution because its a past form. Nothing more. You're also blatantly misunderstanding the use of Devolution of a term. It never meant "growing weaker" in this case. It means returning to an old form and nothing more. Kyurem's form changes are exactly the same thing as Aerodactyl Mega Evolution and Groudon and Kyogre's form changes. Also, I'm pretty sure the picture outright confirmed they are Forme Changes, ancient forms anyway.

I can understand that, but personally I just feel they're more then likely Mega Evolutions with a twist. They take cues from it (ex. the shining symbol above their heads in one of the scans), the root word of their "Ancient Devolution" relates back to Evolution, among other things. At this point, I feel the implications I feel lend more to that theory then just being pointless forme changes.
That's not pointless. That gives way more story changes now that they can become what they used to be, their true form. Before they were trapped in an area. That's a major thing.

Also, Aerodactyl is a hypothesis, and one that doesn't really make sense considering evolution is supposed to advance the original form, not return it. Even then, it actually supports the point, if Aerodactyl went back to its original form via Mega Evolution, it's entirely believable that Kyogre and Groudon did the same.
We never saw Mega Stones, so no really. Aerodactyl, when revived from a Fossil, is likely not the forme it used to be in the past. The thing is, trying to remove a creature from a fossil won't automatically make it the same it was when it was in real life. It's extremely realistic that it got an updated form. It's also very possible that's why it's the only Mega Fossil Pokemon, as the evolutions of all the rest of the Fossils are their "true" form before they were fossilized.

In addition, if the Aerodactyl bit isn't true, then the idea they're Mega Evolutions doesn't even hold water at all. Devolutions are the opposite of what a Mega Evolution is, which is gaining a high-powered form. Returning to your ancient form(keeping in mind Mega Aerodactyl may not be its original form) is not really an "upgrade" like a Mega Evolution is. It's a burst of strength and a major transformation. Keep in mind the part "major". Groudon and Kyogre's differences are barely even halfway close to what a Mega Pokemon is like. It's a damn color change. They have almost no physical differences(as in, we're talking about as bad of a change as Peach's Daisy costume). It's weak and lame for a Mega Pokemon. It's perfect for a Form Change, since they generally aren't that special sometimes.

Also, it's straight out called Ancient Evolution, something entirely different from Mega Evolution. That theory was debunked from that alone. They aren't Megas as is. Unless they gave poor information, it's beyond unlikely period. They're new evolutions or form changes.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Quick question.

If I could leak the entire roster of the game to you right now and it was 100% accurate, would you want to see it?

Morbi

Scavenger
Quick question.

If I could leak the entire roster of the game to you right now and it was 100% accurate, would you want to see it?
Obviously. Why would I even be here if I did not care about the roster? What would be the point in e3? It just does not make sense.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
The team of my memories: Blaziken.

That was my team, not even joking. I had HM slaves, of course. But he did all of the fighting. That is a bad habit I have gotten into since Pokemon Red. I just use one Pokemon the entire time; the starter, of course. X and Y was great because it was my first real team. Hopefully the EXP share returns.
Honestly, if we're getting the EXP Share, I hope it's like what it was before X/Y (where it became a EXP All).
Admittedly (and I might be alone in this), I felt it was a Game Breaker (free EXP without any drawbacks felt too good to be true. Even when I only used it in Gyms, my Pokemon still ended up better unlike when I didn't). At least make it to where maybe everyone gets half, or it becomes a hold item.

Or at least, make to where I don't have to go through Hell and back because I didn't want to use the darn thing.

Mmm, true. But I mostly use Pokemon that align with me in some way. Some I like their designs, some I like their types. Mudkip was a design love but somehow changed too much for me when evolving. Swampert as a whole isn't too bad. If I must, I may run him. But I'm also heavily looking at Lanturn because I love her and somehow did not make her a party Pokemon in those two Emerald runs. Though, at the same time, there's nothing saying I can't use both.
For the most part, I tend to be indifferent Pokemon I use. If it's there and I can use it in a certain role, I'll use it. You'll be surprised what they can do after giving them a chance (like Sawk). Sure, there are certain Pokemon I prefer more than others (like I'm considering using a Shedinja for the fun of it), but in the end I guess it's all down to likings anyway.

Ideally I'd love to import some bred Pokemon from X as soon as possible, but if that's not, I'll be looking at what other Gens will be available in ORAS like they did in the Pokegear radio for HGSS. I don't like making teams too similar to my past teams due to nostalgia for my first Pokemon, but if there's no option but to use only Gen 3's for the whole run pre E4, then I'll have to do so. I don't choose Pokemon based on their stats, or popularity, just whether or not I personally like them. :p
I'm pretty sure they'll use the other gens (especially since the original Ruby and Sapphire used previous gen Pokemon).
The only reason I'm going by them is because I know nothing about the Pokemon in this version, and I assume they'll use a similar encounter rate to that of the original games. The current (albeit incomplete) team I have is Mightyena, Shedinja, Breloom, and maybe Camerupt.
...I have a long way to go I predict...

Quick question.

Eh, I wouldn't mind. It would certainly give me more time to think about my main.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, if we're getting the EXP Share, I hope it's like what it was before X/Y (where it became a EXP All).
Admittedly (and I might be alone in this), I felt it was a Game Breaker (free EXP without any drawbacks felt too good to be true. Even when I only used it in Gyms, my Pokemon still ended up better unlike when I didn't). At least make it to where maybe everyone gets half, or it becomes a hold item.

Or at least, make to where I don't have to go through Hell and back because I didn't want to use the darn thing.

For the most part, I tend to be indifferent Pokemon I use. If it's there and I can use it in a certain role, I'll use it. You'll be surprised what they can do after giving them a chance (like Sawk). Sure, there are certain Pokemon I prefer more than others (like I'm considering using a Shedinja for the fun of it), but in the end I guess it's all down to likings anyway.

I'm pretty sure they'll use the other gens (especially since the original Ruby and Sapphire used previous gen Pokemon).
The only reason I'm going by them is because I know nothing about the Pokemon in this version, and I assume they'll use a similar encounter rate like the originals. The current (albeit incomplete) team I have is Mightyena, Shedinja, Breloom, and maybe Camerupt.
...I have a long way to go I predict...

Eh, I wouldn't mind. It would certainly give me more time to think about my main.
If the EXP "All" does not return, I am probably just going to trade over a level 5 Charmander and use that as my starter. Have Charizard plague the Hoenn region and destroy everyone and everything that they love.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
If the EXP "All" does not return, I am probably just going to trade over a level 5 Charmander and use that as my starter. Have Charizard plague the Hoenn region and destroy everyone and everything that they love.
What? And no top percentage Rattata?
I am disappointed.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
@ Rocket Raccoon Rocket Raccoon dat shrek vid had me laffin' foe reelz doe.

Gosh I love Shrek. Such a nice childhood memory. That Shrek song. The Shrek look. Just Shrek. I didn't want to clog that thread with this response.

My Coms 101 professor looked just like Lord Farquad.

You should check out videogamedunkey's Shrek video.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Quick question.

Of course. I mean, that's like asking someone "You want 100 dollars for free?" at this point. Only those who are rich or don't like money as is will say no.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
So, I created a "SSB4 Teams Thread" if you want to create a team go ahead. There could be a "Mod Team" with some moderators in it & a "Week in Review" team with the writers. A "Soundtrack" team with dem judges and the "Stage Creation" team thread too.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It's not unlikely at all to play it up. It makes more sense for them to be primal forms since there's no reason for them to have Mega Evolutions at all storyline wise. They're blatant ancient Pokemon.
It is unlikely, in what case have they promoted appearance changes for their cover legendaries like that, just for them to amount to nothing? Giratina-O did not do that, and B/W Kyurem did not do that, so tell me why would they suddenly go back on that and add nothing to these changes when history has shown that it's not what GF does?

And I severely doubt Palette Swaps will ever happen for Megas outside of being a Mega of a Shiny Pokemon period. I don't see any reason to waste time on the model instead of actually making a legitimate change. If it was as easy as that, everybody would have a Mega Evolution. But they don't. And it's not an exception in the same way you're thinking of. The exception is because instead of adding stuff, they just had the baby come out of the pouch. It's still a large change to their overall design in how they fight and their body is not effectively the same. It's two bodies. It's still not a palette swap.
Obviously they're doing something slightly different with these Pokémon, it's entirely possible that "pallete swaps" where they just have the Pokémon infused with their representative elements is enough to represent the evolution (or devolution) of these Pokémon.

Except the exception shows that the rule can be broken, particularly if they want to do something different with the Pokémon in question. Kangaskhan's base form didn't change at all, but its baby did, and that was because they wanted to do something differently with the Pokémon in question. Theoretically, it's entirely possible that these Pokémon just have those minor changes to signify a different type of evolution in their lore, which they are building up to.

Degradation =/= Devolution. Not the same thing. Kyurem's Forme Changes are returning him to his first form, which is what a devolution is period. He evolved when separated, and devolved when combined. Effectively, anyway. Devolution does not mean growing weaker. Mega Aerodactyl is supposed to be its initial form, and is what it was like before it evolved to be its current form. That doesn't make it weaker. Evolution doesn't automatically make you more powerful. It's even a fact of life. When we evolved from animals, we lost a lot of physical traits to gain more intelligence. Unless you don't believe in real life evolution, in which case, ignore the analogy.
Which, as I said, is exactly the thing Susanoomon (and the Ancient Digimon) went through when obtaining its form, and yet it's not classified as a devolution of any kind. Fans don't consider it a "devolution," nor is it considered such officially. Similarly, neither is Kyurem ever considered a devolution, you're trying to make those form changes something that they're not to suit your own criteria.

That's ignoring entirely what the comparison is anyway. You're taking it completely out of the context. They're both what they used to be in the past. That's essentially a Devolution because its a past form. Nothing more. You're also blatantly misunderstanding the use of Devolution of a term. It never meant "growing weaker" in this case. It means returning to an old form and nothing more. Kyurem's form changes are exactly the same thing as Aerodactyl Mega Evolution and Groudon and Kyogre's form changes. Also, I'm pretty sure the picture outright confirmed they are Forme Changes, ancient forms anyway.
No, it does not. Again, it's not a devolution, otherwise you might as well consider Susanoomon and the Ancient Digimon devolutions because they're formed by lesser counterparts to make a complete form, which would go completely against what's established officially.

Also, the relationship between Aerodactyl and Kyurem is non-existant, they're formed entirely differently, have different lore, different classifications and criteria. You're making an similarly that is not there.

We never saw Mega Stones, so no really.
By that logic, most of the Mega Evolutions aside from Blaziken and Lucario didn't use stones, because we didn't see them. That also means Kyurem didn't use the DNA Splicers because we didn't see it in the scans. Just because we don't see something doesn't mean it's not there.

We never saw Mega Stones, so no really. Aerodactyl, when revived from a Fossil, is likely not the forme it used to be in the past. The thing is, trying to remove a creature from a fossil won't automatically make it the same it was when it was in real life. It's extremely realistic that it got an updated form. It's also very possible that's why it's the only Mega Fossil Pokemon, as the evolutions of all the rest of the Fossils are their "true" form before they were fossilized.
Potentially, but it still regressed to a previous form, which is exactly what these "Ancient Devolutions" do. So again, if the fossil can return to its original state, what exactly stops the legendaries from doing so?

In addition, if the Aerodactyl bit isn't true, then the idea they're Mega Evolutions doesn't even hold water at all. Devolutions are the opposite of what a Mega Evolution is, which is gaining a high-powered form. Returning to your ancient form(keeping in mind Mega Aerodactyl may not be its original form) is not really an "upgrade" like a Mega Evolution is. It's a burst of strength and a major transformation. Keep in mind the part "major". Groudon and Kyogre's differences are barely even halfway close to what a Mega Pokemon is like. It's a damn color change. They have almost no physical differences(as in, we're talking about as bad of a change as Peach's Daisy costume). It's weak and lame for a Mega Pokemon. It's perfect for a Form Change, since they generally aren't that special sometimes.
Again, the whole "it's unusual" thing doesn't fly. It's unusual from whatever standpoint you take, so it's entirely possible for it to be unusual for one thing as it is for the other. Mega Evolutions are a burst of strength, but when you look at these apperances, they are an infusion of power, basically primordial gods, and that can be considered "major" enough to represent a burst of strength. Being "Palette Swaps" doesn't change that fact.

Also, since you're implying that these things are "Formes," which barely change at all appearance or stat-wise, GF is setting the fandom up for a major disappointment, and that is highly unlikely considering they've never greatly hyped up formes in that manner.

Also, it's straight out called Ancient Evolution, something entirely different from Mega Evolution. That theory was debunked from that alone. They aren't Megas as is. Unless they gave poor information, it's beyond unlikely period. They're new evolutions or form changes.
And again, it could be just be Mega Evolution with a twist, the fact that they share a root word can easily point to them being related to that concept. It's something done differently to make them stand out from the usual. It is not debunked until these forms are shown to be completely unrelated to the concept.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So, I created a "SSB4 Teams Thread" if you want to create a team go ahead. There could be a "Mod Team" with some moderators in it & a "Week in Review" team with the writers. A "Soundtrack" team with dem judges and the "Stage Creation" team thread too.
I shall consider myself to Team Team,to evaluate the work of Team Battles :troll:

No,seriously.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Can you share a link to the thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom