• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Lovely summer day today; 29 degrees celsius, sun shines like no tomorrow
Wait, in Finland, there's sun and 29 ºC, while here in Portugal it's raining and around 16 ºC? What kind of sorcery is this?

What a nice stage... I wonder what will change as the battle progresses!
I think it will be sort of similar to Arena Ferox. Changing platforms and such.

The stage looks really great and has a lot of awesome details.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
They don't appear in Awakening either, but we already have a stage from that game on the 3DS version.

It's curious how both Fire Emblem stages revealed so far are arenas. Either the recurring Arena/Coliseum from several games or the more specific Arena Ferox from Awakening.
I kinda counted Arena Ferox as one, even though it doesn't function like traditional arenas. As a long an Arena/Colosseum was present in a installment in some shape or form I considered it. Not from a gameplay stand point, but as a reoccurring place in the FE series.

I too was hoping for a little bit of FE stage variety. Maybe a throne room, Sailing Ship or a Fort top. I personally, was hoping for a Great Bridge stage from FE.

This new stage reminds me of the Shao Kahn stage from Mortal Kombat:

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Wait, in Finland, there's sun and 29 ºC, while here in Portugal it's raining and around 16 ºC? What kind of sorcery is this?

I think it will be sort of similar to Arena Ferox. Changing platforms and such.

The stage looks really great and has a lot of awesome details.
It's also very hot in The Netherlands. I guess Zeus doesn't like Portugal.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I just thought of something... The first Fire Emblem was for the NES....

The NES was a home console.

The new FE stage is on a home console, the Wii U. :awesome:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Thanks that's good to know for reference. i don't know much about the first 4 FE.
I actually don't know if it's true or not. I haven't played FE1. I know it's not the arena from the GBA, DS, or Jugdral games.

Maybe @ --- --- could confirm for us? He's the only one here I know of who has played FE1.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I actually don't know if it's true or not. I haven't played FE1. I know it's not the arena from the GBA, DS, or Jugdral games.

Maybe @ --- --- could confirm for us? He's the only one here I know of who has played FE1.
How about FE3? Or that one shares the same design as the Jugdral games?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

The Arenas in FE1 use a black background just like every other battle in the game. They also weren't in FE2.

The Coliseum stage doesn't really take after any game in particular, but it most closely resembles the Arenas in FE6-8 and FE11-12.

That's the only one I don't remember. Would guess it uses the same outdoor battle background though. I really only used the Arena in that game when I had the ability to use save states. Now that I own the cart, the arena's too risky.

The Jugdral games just use a basic castle hallway background.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
IDK. I've played that one, but I don't remember what the arena looked like. And I don't have a save near one that I could test either....
through his uber-weeb powers

or maybe he just used a translation patch. they exist, you know.

Last edited by a moderator:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@ --- ---

Tryphen, how'd you play the NES FE games? I thought they were only in Japanese...
There's some pretty good translation guides on Gamefaqs and RPG Classics. But primarily it helps to have played Shadow Dragon on the DS, and to take your time reading through the changes that were made in Gaiden. It also helps to have a basic knowledge of Hiragana and Katakana, but it's not required (thankfully NES games don't use Kanji).

After I imported the games, I had copies of Gyromite & Excitebike that had Famicom Converters inside, after some minor modifications, I then used to play them on my NES.

Technically you can also find translated Rom hacks if you emulate them, but I won't give any recommendations/links given they're illegal on this site.

Unless you're a diehard FE fan, FE1 isn't all that good. There are some interesting quirks to the game that one may spot, and it can be good for practicing Japanese, but beyond that Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem Book 1 offer a better experience.

FE2 is a black sheep, but it's really only in regards to the item system (which had major issues in FE1). The game itself has a better story, graphics, and music. The only bad part of the game is the need to grind for experience in dungeons, which can get really tedious if you're not playing on Easy Mode (which I'd recommend since it speeds up the process). I'd recommend it highly, just not as one's first FE game.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Eh, I'll stick with Shining Force/Crystal Warriors for right now.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
There's some pretty good translation guides on Gamefaqs and RPG Classics. But primarily it helps to have played Shadow Dragon on the DS, and to take your time reading through the changes that were made in Gaiden. It also helps to have a basic knowledge of Hiragana and Katakana, but it's not required (thankfully NES games don't use Kanji).

After I imported the games, I had copies of Gyromite & Excitebike that had Famicom Converters inside, after some minor modifications, I then used to play them on my NES.

Technically you can also find translated Rom hacks if you emulate them, but I won't give any recommendations/links given they're illegal on this site.

Unless you're a diehard FE fan, FE1 isn't all that good. There are some interesting quirks to the game that one may spot, and it can be good for practicing Japanese, but beyond that Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem Book 1 offer a better experience.

FE2 is a black sheep, but it's really only in regards to the item system (which had major issues in FE1). The game itself has a better story, graphics, and music. The only bad part of the game is the need to grind for experience in dungeons, which can get really tedious if you're not playing on Easy Mode (which I'd recommend since it speeds up the process). I'd recommend it highly, just not as one's first FE game.
Thanks. My first FE game was Blazing Sword, and I was hooked. Since the 3DS plays DS games, I'll look for Shadow Dragon.

BTW, just a quick question, but why do you enjoy the FE games?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Do you mean prepatched roms? Because while yeah, that's illegal, the patches themselves are not.

For reference, check either here or on romhacking.net for FE translation patches.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Thanks. My first FE game was Blazing Sword, and I was hooked. Since the 3DS plays DS games, I'll look for Shadow Dragon.

BTW, just a quick question, but why do you enjoy the FE games?
Didn't enjoy the series when I first, but I tried it again after I bought FE9 due to Ike's reveal on the Dojo. And holy crap was FE9 a good game. After beating it I tired the other US releases, which I don't think were as good, but they got me to keep an eye on future releases.

Started importing the series after I began taking Japanese classes and learned how easy it was to import and play games on older systems. FE was just a given since most games don't need a knowledge of Japanese to enjoy, and translations could be easily found on Serenes Forest. FE3 is now my second favorite in the series.

Beyond that I enjoyed that the series didn't have a weird fanbase, falls into a lot of TV/Anime tropes, use fanservice in anyway (at least until FE13 >_>), that the art style held a lot of charm/was bright and colorful/reflected what was in-game, and character portraits having animations during cutscenes. The characters and world within the games also felt a lot more realistic, fleshed out, and has never really been over the top. And yes, I'm comparing a lot of this to FF & DQ. :p

Shadow Dragon's good, just don't expect it to wow you. The story is pretty barebones compared to other games, no support conversations, and to access extra characters/chapters you need to kill off your army.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Did some research and yeah, this Coliseum stage has a design closer to the GBA and DS games.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I'm feeling a little bit better now.

Anyway, a fire emblem discussion? Interesting. My first fire emblem game was Sacred Stones, which I got during the ambassador program in the 2011 holiday season. It was nice, but then I got Fire Emblem Awakening, and I got addicted! One thing I like about Awakening is that you can choose an option so deaths in battle aren't permanent for the rest of the game, is Awakening the first fire emblem to do that?

D

Deleted member

Anyway, a fire emblem discussion? Interesting. My first fire emblem game was Sacred Stones, which I got during the ambassador program in the 2011 holiday season. It was nice, but then I got Fire Emblem Awakening, and I got addicted! One thing I like about Awakening is that you can choose an option so deaths in battle aren't permanent for the rest of the game, is Awakening the first fire emblem to do that?
Yes, iirc (Although RD made it so when you were fighting the opposite faction that included playable characters, if you defeated them, they wouldn't die so that you could use them when the factions switched again) in fact Awakening made a lot of changes to the formula to make it easier so that it would appeal to a wider audience (since FE was a struggling franchise). To a new player, the aspect of permadeath can be quite unforgiving since they would be prone to make unwise decisions with their characters because they don't have a complete understanding of the game's mechanics.

Anyways, my first game was Rekka No Ken almost by accident, I remember reading about Sacred Stones in Nintendo Power when it was coming out (I was 9 at the time) and wanting to get it, but then being advised by the cashier at Gamestop to try Rekka No Ken first, since then I've fallen in love and have played through every international title to date.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Glad we're talking productively here....I do not want to witness another transgender conversation.

I know Piracy is illegal,but I don't see what's so bad about ROMs. Most of them are older games that most people don't play on the original console. (or was too lazy to buy it off VC.)
Hell,ROMS got to mobile devices,my favorite being the MyBoy app. Now I can express my Hoenn hype :troll:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Yes, yes it is. I'm a big fan of permadeath, but when I eventually try Lunatic mode, I'm using the casual setting.

Didn't enjoy the series when I first, but I tried it again after I bought FE9 due to Ike's reveal on the Dojo. And holy crap was FE9 a good game. After beating it I tired the other US releases, which I don't think were as good, but they got me to keep an eye on future releases.

Started importing the series after I began taking Japanese classes and learned how easy it was to import and play games on older systems. FE was just a given since most games don't need a knowledge of Japanese to enjoy, and translations could be easily found on Serenes Forest. FE3 is now my second favorite in the series.

Beyond that I enjoyed that the series didn't have a weird fanbase, falls into a lot of TV/Anime tropes, use fanservice in anyway (at least until FE13 >_>), that the art style held a lot of charm/was bright and colorful/reflected what was in-game, and character portraits having animations during cutscenes. The characters and world within the games also felt a lot more realistic, fleshed out, and has never really been over the top. And yes, I'm comparing a lot of this to FF & DQ. :p

Shadow Dragon's good, just don't expect it to wow you. The story is pretty barebones compared to other games, no support conversations, and to access extra characters/chapters you need to kill off your army.
Nice... FE9 was another one that I need to try. I've got such a long list of game that I'd like to play, I've just decided on only buying 1-2 full retail games a year, and mainly focusing on eshop, VC, and some older stuff as it is cheaper.

I think my favorite thing about FE would have to be the whole player-character dynamic. On their own, there aren't a ton of super great FE characters, but making the player care and go the extra mile to keep the units safe makes it one of the better war games I've played. I never cared if Soldier 102 died in Civ. Revolution, so I found myself making more mistakes.

Also: The music's pretty good too, and I really like the risk/reward dynamic, which can tie into the player/character dynamic.

So, let's further this conversation... have any favorite characters? Anyone?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Technically the FE game before that, New Mystery of the Emblem, made a lot of those changes as well as the ability to create an Avatar. Awakening just added in skills from Path of Radiance, Marriage from Genealogy of the Holy War, and an Overworld from Gaiden. The only thing Awakening added to the series was the ability to pair units together for battle.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I've played FE 6-11.

I enjoyed all of them, though FE6 and FE11 not so much.

I want to try out Awakening too, though the lukewarm reception here has kind of downed my interest.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've never played a Fire Emblem game either. I know Awakening is the latest game and all, but is there any chance that it would be a good game to start with?

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Just curious, how is Fire Emblem? I haven't gotten around to it.
Amazing. The first FE game I played was Sacred Stones and I was confused as hell for a bit, but once I got the hang of it (and stopped being so careless) I fricken loved it. I've never played a game where you really need to stop and think about each move, so you feel really rewarded when you win each battle. Permadeath gets you super attached to the characters.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
My first FE game was Shadow Dragon. That game would have probably scared most new comers from the series. But it made me get other games in the series.

My fave FE games are Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

Awakening is good, but it left me disappointed in a lot of areas. But hey, it has Olivia. But for a newcomer it's a pretty good start. I would also recomend Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance as a good place to start as well.

Sacred stones is fun and charming, but damn is it easy.

I haven't gotten a chance to play FE7, the only western release FE I don't own, yet or any of the Japanese only releases, I'm still butthurt of FE12.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Glad we're talking productively here....I do not want to witness another transgender conversation.

I know Piracy is illegal,but I don't see what's so bad about ROMs. Most of them are older games that most people don't play on the original console. (or was too lazy to buy it off VC.)
Hell,ROMS got to mobile devices,my favorite being the MyBoy app. Now I can express my Hoenn hype :troll:
Well, look at it this way: those emulators are neither licensed nor endorsed by whatever company made the game. I've watched Lucahjin do a blind LP of Ocarina of Time on a N64 Emulator, and the controls were horrible until she got an adapter to plug in a real N64 controller.
I've never played a Fire Emblem game either. I know Awakening is the latest game and all, but is there any chance that it would be a good game to start with?
Sure! They've made Awakening an easier game this time around.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
For starting, FE7, FE8 and FE9 are good.

Gameplay wise, FE10 is my favourite, though it is very hard, so I don't recommend it for beginners.

Story wise, FE7 and FE9 are great.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I really wouldn't call Radiant Dawn hard, but rather has a bad RNG.

And the difficulty settings are misleading. "easy" mode is actually normal mode, "normal" mode is actually hard mode, and "hard" mode is actually lunatic mode.

It's not like with Path of Radiance where they got rid of Lunatic mode and created a new easy mode for the western release while leaving normal and hard modes the same.

Awakening is a very good start for people new to the series. What disappoints some of the FE vets about the game wouldn't disappoint the new people to the series.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Just curious, how is Fire Emblem? I haven't gotten around to it.
It's pretty good, but not for everyone. I'd suggest getting an older title, and if you like it, go for Awakening... although Awakening isn't the greatest on FE standards, it's still a good game.

I've played FE 6-11.

I want to try out Awakening too, though the lukewarm reception here has kind of downed my interest.
See above response for Awakening.

I wouldn't start with it, but you can if you'd like. Just note that there are some iffy stuff on FE standards, but not game standards.

It's like what I say about Professor Layton and the Last Specter. Not the best Layton game, but still a great on puzzle game standards.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't think Awakening is too flawed. It's good enough to be an introduction to the series, that's for sure. I recommend Sacred Stones as a starting point.
Huh.
Well, what I'm considering doing is getting a game similar to Fire Emblem on the Virtual Console to at least get a feel for Strategy-RPG games (plus it's cheaper, and I can get other games along with it). And then possibly getting Awakening.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I've played FE 6-11.

While Awakening had its quirks, it was a good game with good ideas all things considered. It definitely saved the Fire Emblem franchise's ***. The one thing that irked me was that none of the characters had freaking feet.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
While Awakening had its quirks, it was a good game with good ideas all things considered. It definitely saved the Fire Emblem franchise's ***. The one thing that irked me was that none of the characters had freaking feet.
It was annoying, but I liked the dev's explanation.

How often are you staring at the character's feet? What character kicks to attack (In human form)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom