• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Imma go now.
Nonsense. You shall remain condemned like the rest of us.
If anything, you already are.

:demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon:

Welcome to page 666, mortals!

:demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon:

Here you might be subject to demonic possession or corruption. Side effects may include insanity, achievement of god-like power, disregard for life, severe burns, loss of conscience or death. Consult a priest or exorcist before venturing into the depths of Hell. Carrying a dose of holy water is severely recommended.
Nah, watching Darkseed 2 already did all of that and then some.
There's nothing left of me to torment.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Nonsense. You shall remain condemned like the rest of us.
If anything, you already are.

Nah, watching Darkseed 2 already did all of that and then some.
There's nothing left of me to torment.
Well, I'm watching Darkseed 2 right now.

EDIT: That's not Darkseed 2.... but it works anyway!

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I want a divorce.
Don't me commit an act of true love on you and melt your frozen heart, you ice cold *****. ¦D

Anywho, it was a good movie, but not the greatest thing ever. Then again, I'm not a big movie person anyways.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The best thing about Frozen is;

The rest of the movie was pretty good but, like Wave said, not the greatest.

Now Brave on the other hand, I got to finally watch that move not to long ago, like last week or the week before. I think I found a new fave Disney movie lol.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
This is a pretty good creepypasta itsactuallyafanfic for Fallout. It actually fits in with the universe. It's like a story you'd hear in an expanded universe lore.

Last edited:

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
This is kind of exactly what I mean. There's no way to tell. I don't question Goku being able to defeat them all on his own. It's very possible. But it may not have turned out that way. Vegeta himself definitely didn't cut it against all of them like Goku could have, which is my overall issue with him being there.
So your issue is that Vegeta alone lacks the raw power that Goku does? So every character in DB except Goku is meaningless? Even though Goku certainly wouldn't have been able to succeed if he was on his own(and, indeed, probably wouldn't have been able to without Vegeta).

Let me simplify it; She started as a Mary Sue and got deconstructed earlier than most Sues. Nothing more. And no, she still came off heavily as a Sue to me. Too easily winning, too good at the card game. I still believe she keeps those certain traits even till the end of the overall season. I'll also say this; That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I won't be convinced otherwise that she wasn't a Sue at all.
Convincing or no convincing I'll still say my piece. She doesn't win too easy, the first time she fights a digimon that's a legitimate threat to anyone she nearly gets herself and Renamon killed. The Digimon she fights before that is basicly the equivilant of killing slimes in dragon quest, it really doesn't establish her as being "all that" at all. She certainly doesn't "keep the trait" of winning easily for most of the season. The entire time she routinely gets her ass kicked and when she doesn't she still struggles and is often ineffectual. Being good at one thing like Rika is at the card game doesn't make you a sue, especially when it's not presented as being that important anyways. Most characters in any team show will have one thing they're really good at. That doesn't make you a Sue it makes you a contribution. Sure she's got skill at the game but she lacks Henry's raw intellect or Tikato's emotional strength or Terriormon's wisdom or Guilmon's effective simplicity or Renammon's professionalism. She's no better than anyone of her contemporaries. Everyone is on an even playing field(except for Ryo who is a one man army). Take the traits you say make Rika a Sue away and it doesn't make her down to earth, she's already down to earth. It basically makes her a straight up punching bag that exists for the writers to belittle. She's already sort off a punching bag throughout the whole series until the very end.

The definition is a Digidestined is one who is given a Digivice. Teh show made that clear. Nothing more. Other traits are nice, but that's what sometimes gets you the item in the first place. It wasn't what got Rika one, it was her determination and nothing more. Her partner clearly had the same views as her, but wasn't evil either(unlike IceDevimon). Season 6 does not have Digivices(at least outside of the crossover movie), and isn't comparable. Rika was never corrupted. She was a jerk from the start, but thankfully got better. She pretty much did coldly kill Digimon and took away their life force. She did get better, but that took time.
That's exactly my point. Digidestined are just people given a digivice. It carries with it no consistent connotations. So complaining that she doesn't fit as a digidesdined doesn't mean anything because there's noting to not fit. You're saying that season 6 isn't comparable. I'm saying nothing is comparable. Having or not having a digivice implies nothing about the character(in a cross seasonal context). It's like arbitrarily saying it was stupid that she didn't behave like the other characters who wear blue shirts or who have brown hair.

She is indeed a cpld blooded murderer(of digimon, due to weak self justification) at the beguining. Me personally I didn't think there was anything wrong with that and I didn't have any problems with it.

Fair enough, but I still only felt anything for Juri period. She actually has a strong sob story and was broken by many things. The worst Rika got was the IceDevimon episode, but everybody else didn't get enough to make me feel heavily emotional about them at all.
Ehhh sure I guess if you need things like that to feel an strong emotional connection to a character. I actually though Rika and Henry got really beat on hard but it depends on the philosophical notion of what you consider to be hard in life I suppose.

Also, I find it interesting that Juri used a LadyDevimon attack with Leomon, and then he got killed by... a demonic Digimon. Don't mess with evil indeed? :p (yes, it's a funny coincidence)
Pretty sure it's not a coincidence. Messing with powers you shouldn't and then suffering backlash for it is a reoccurring theme of the season(and some of the other seasons, though not to quite as much of an extent). The season itself had some pretty heavy Satanist undertones(and I don't mean that in the Pokémon "I think it's Satanist because I'm an alarmist" sort of way. I mean there is a reason they used freakn' Beelzebub the way they did). Around the time she uses the Devimon attack or really at every point after Leomon shows up she was letting her relationship with Leomon get to her head. Not in terms of being power hungry but in terms of taking that relationship for granted and undermining the weight of the situation. She was being indulgent(as she rightly deserved to be given her situation). Lady Devimon was probably symbolic of that. Which of course leads up to her being completely crushed when Leomon does what Leomons do.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So your issue is that Vegeta alone lacks the raw power that Goku does? So every character in DB except Goku is meaningless? Even though Goku certainly wouldn't have been able to succeed if he was on his own(and, indeed, probably wouldn't have been able to without Vegeta).
That's not what I said. It's not the power, it's the fact that Vegeta is just plain useless most of the time or someone could do it better. He himself felt pretty poorly written for the most part in Z. A few moments here and there, yes, good. But I didn't like how he was handled at all. I think they could've actually made him matter way more and to be honest, he should've been the one to take down Frieza. He has a far better reason to do so. Just to avenge his race alone, his family. I did not like how he handled throughout Z. I only really liked him in GT, where he was actually more of a human being in personality. He was funny too.

Convincing or no convincing I'll still say my piece. She doesn't win too easy, the first time she fights a digimon that's a legitimate threat to anyone she nearly gets herself and Renamon killed. The Digimon she fights before that is basicly the equivilant of killing slimes in dragon quest, it really doesn't establish her as being "all that" at all. She certainly doesn't "keep the trait" of winning easily for most of the season. The entire time she routinely gets her *** kicked and when she doesn't she still struggles and is often ineffectual. Being good at one thing like Rika is at the card game doesn't make you a sue, especially when it's not presented as being that important anyways. Most characters in any team show will have one thing they're really good at. That doesn't make you a Sue it makes you a contribution. Sure she's got skill at the game but she lacks Henry's raw intellect or Tikato's emotional strength or Terriormon's wisdom or Guilmon's effective simplicity or Renammon's professionalism. She's no better than anyone of her contemporaries. Everyone is on an even playing field(except for Ryo who is a one man army). Take the traits you say make Rika a Sue away and it doesn't make her down to earth, she's already down to earth. It basically makes her a straight up punching bag that exists for the writers to belittle. She's already sort off a punching bag throughout the whole series until the very end.
You took that entirely out of context. I was talking about her winning at the card game too easily. She was just good. Just because. They didn't explain very well how she got good either. That was a horrible idea and they could've bothered to show her practicing at that. I was not talking about her actual real battles in that case.

That's exactly my point. Digidestined are just people given a digivice. It carries with it no consistent connotations. So complaining that she doesn't fit as a digidesdined doesn't mean anything because there's noting to not fit. You're saying that season 6 isn't comparable. I'm saying nothing is comparable. Having or not having a digivice implies nothing about the character(in a cross seasonal context). It's like arbitrarily saying it was stupid that she didn't behave like the other characters who wear blue shirts or who have brown hair.
That would be implying I think she shouldn't have been a digidestined or something like this. Yes, she should have. Of course. You are taking the point completely out of context. She was the only (non-corrupted) actual jerk of a Digidestined. She was that way because of how she was brought up. It wasn't a case of a virus corrupting her like the other similar dark/jerk Digidestined(again, Xros Wars does not count because of the lack of Digivices). I didn't say having a Digivice implies anything whatsoever. Because that wasn't my point.

She is indeed a cold blooded murderer(of digimon, due to weak self justification) at the beguining. Me personally I didn't think there was anything wrong with that and I didn't have any problems with it.
Unless she didn't know Digimon could reform at all, which in that case, her actions were realistic training and preventing them from hurting others. If she did, it was unjustified. It became more apparent quickly that absorbing data was only useful for a non-partnered Digimon to digivolve too. That's how it can speed up the process in the Digital World, but it doesn't work in the human world all too well, since the Digivice gives one the ability to temporarily take on a new form, using the strength of friendship.

Ehhh sure I guess if you need things like that to feel an strong emotional connection to a character. I actually though Rika and Henry got really beat on hard but it depends on the philosophical notion of what you consider to be hard in life I suppose.
Well, it's kind of hard to get attached to most of them. Rika wasn't very interesting to me(and I am not a fan of cold-hearted killers period, even if they do get better. It just doesn't interest me. I'm glad they do get better, of course). Takato felt like a boring newbie. Henry didn't really show much of anything to me, just kind of a smart guy. The other ones besides Juri were along for the ride at best. Juri's thing was that she had serious emotional impact and was heavily responsible, in the end, for the whole D-Reaper scenario. Mind you, it's not directly her fault or anything, but she was the key to it. The backbone of the saga, basically.

Pretty sure it's not a coincidence. Messing with powers you shouldn't and then suffering backlash for it is a reoccurring theme of the season(and some of the other seasons, though not to quite as much of an extent). The season itself had some pretty heavy Satanist undertones(and I don't mean that in the Pokémon "I think it's Satanist because I'm an alarmist" sort of way. I mean there is a reason they used freakn' Beelzebub the way they did). Around the time she uses the Devimon attack or really at every point after Leomon shows up she was letting her relationship with Leomon get to her head. Not in terms of being power hungry but in terms of taking that relationship for granted and undermining the weight of the situation. She was being indulgent(as she rightly deserved to be given her situation). Lady Devimon was probably symbolic of that. Which of course leads up to her being completely crushed when Leomon does what Leomons do.
Notably, Tamers made the Leoemon dying a pattern. It was a one-off thing.

Beezlemon and LadyDevimon have no real connections, which is why it might've been a coincidence. None of the cards used really seem to have anything to do with good or evil. Even using that type of Digimon was never shown to directly have consequences. I didn't notice Juri or Leomon show any signs of darkness after using it as is. ...I also realize I've been using Jeri's Japanese name the whole time. I couldn't remember it at the time, so that's why. Anyway, I do see how it's symbolic too. It could be either case, really. It depends if Cards actually have a alignment at all. From what I can tell, they were just simple playing cards they could use for actual attacks/moves and nothing more. Considering Beelzemon Blast Mode(in Xros Wars) is the equivalent of a freakin' angel overall, beyond heroic, hell, he was blessed by Ophanimon as Baalmon to be reborn in that mode, the whole idea of "specific Digimon are truly evil or not" doesn't seem to be warranted. It's whether that person(not the Digimon or their type) was evil. A Beelzemon isn't inherently evil, but that particular one could be. I could even say the same for Devimon too. It's not hard to believe a heroic one could exist. Myotismon was a good guy in Digimon World as well.

DangerDamage

Smash Journeyman
Nearest Smash-Fest location is 40 minutes w/traffic according to Best Buy's website, not sure if it's worth the travel on Wednesday, especially if it's only first 70 for the coin.

Does anyone know if you pre-order from Best Buy in one location can you pick it up at another?

I have 1 like 15-20 minutes away from me that I go to for games over GameStop now, wonder if I could go to the farther out one and play/pre-order and pick it up a month/2/3 months later at the closer one.

EDIT: That fake is leak with the Polygon leak saying stuff about Mario Maker, which isn't on that "exclusive E3 list"

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
ERMEHGERD!
I wouldn't mind a remake of Mario Sunshine too much. Even more so if they iron out the kinks of the original, despite it being a good game. It'd be awesome if they let you play as other characters like the Mario 64 remake. Though it's most likely a fake as it is anyway.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
When I joined, I only would hang around the Miiverse thread to chat about the pictures. Now I love the social side more than the Smash side.

I've been on other forums before, but I actually made the effort here to talk to people and make friends.

Speculation is really fun, but there'll always be a place to talk about anything on Smashboards. It'd be awesome to see more people hang around the anime/ manga threads though.
WHERE ARE THEY...?? I'm watching Death Note now.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
That's not what I said. It's not the power, it's the fact that Vegeta is just plain useless most of the time or someone could do it better. He himself felt pretty poorly written for the most part in Z. A few moments here and there, yes, good. But I didn't like how he was handled at all. I think they could've actually made him matter way more and to be honest, he should've been the one to take down Frieza. He has a far better reason to do so. Just to avenge his race alone, his family. I did not like how he handled throughout Z. I only really liked him in GT, where he was actually more of a human being in personality. He was funny too.
Well talking about how Vegeta was and wasn't handled is another matter entirely. I was under the impression the conversation was a what if statement about what would happen if we assumed DBZ was a real story and Vegeta was removed from the Freeza saga equation, with nothing else changed. Nothing about writing or narrative purpose, just direct cause and effect. If you want to talk about what could happen if Toriyama wanted to do things differently, well, absolutely anything could happen. And feel free to talk about that but that's not something I care to discuss. I thought Vegeta was handled very well but I don't really give a damn.

You took that entirely out of context. I was talking about her winning at the card game too easily. She was just good. Just because. They didn't explain very well how she got good either. That was a horrible idea and they could've bothered to show her practicing at that. I was not talking about her actual real battles in that case.
I took it out of context because there was noting in your post clarifying when you said battles you meant card battles. The context wasn't established. Anyways, it's not blatantly said why she's so good at the card game(which I like. I'd rather have subtlety than everything explained outright), but it's not too hard to put the pieces together and it does make sense, and it's pretty important to her character. She was fiercely antisocial, locked herself away from the world and the pressure she felt she was under, and she picked up the card game and it became a form of escape for her eventually became an obsession. Also once she became good she felt the need to become the best because being an elite at something was a crucial crutch for the cold elitist badass facade that she desired to build up for herself.

Plus there is a lot to be said for just plain unexplainable natural talent. I've had people totally eclipse me in days in games that I've been playing diligently for years. And I mean...it's the digimon TCG. The skill ceiling isn't exactly unbelievably hard to reach anyway.

That would be implying I think she shouldn't have been a digidestined or something like this. Yes, she should have. Of course. You are taking the point completely out of context. She was the only (non-corrupted) actual jerk of a Digidestined. She was that way because of how she was brought up. It wasn't a case of a virus corrupting her like the other similar dark/jerk Digidestined(again, Xros Wars does not count because of the lack of Digivices). I didn't say having a Digivice implies anything whatsoever. Because that wasn't my point.
I was not implying you were saying you don't think she should be a digidesdined or that you were saying having a digivice means anything(other than being the "definition" of a digidedined). I'm saying you're presenting her as an exception to a distinction that doesn't actually mean anything. Saying someone is a digidesdined doesn't mean anything except they have a digivice which as you just said doesn't mean anything so being determined to talk about things specifically in terms of digidedined is meaningless. It's a pointless categorization.

Well, it's kind of hard to get attached to most of them. Rika wasn't very interesting to me(and I am not a fan of cold-hearted killers period, even if they do get better. It just doesn't interest me. I'm glad they do get better, of course). Takato felt like a boring newbie. Henry didn't really show much of anything to me, just kind of a smart guy. The other ones besides Juri were along for the ride at best. Juri's thing was that she had serious emotional impact and was heavily responsible, in the end, for the whole D-Reaper scenario. Mind you, it's not directly her fault or anything, but she was the key to it. The backbone of the saga, basically.
HRRRRRNNN...fine, I won't argue it. I completely disagree.

Notably, Tamers made the Leoemon dying a pattern. It was a one-off thing.
The Leomon doing what Leomon's do thing was a joke. :p

Beezlemon and LadyDevimon have no real connections, which is why it might've been a coincidence. None of the cards used really seem to have anything to do with good or evil. Even using that type of Digimon was never shown to directly have consequences. I didn't notice Juri or Leomon show any signs of darkness after using it as is. ...I also realize I've been using Jeri's Japanese name the whole time. I couldn't remember it at the time, so that's why. Anyway, I do see how it's symbolic too. It could be either case, really. It depends if Cards actually have a alignment at all. From what I can tell, they were just simple playing cards they could use for actual attacks/moves and nothing more. Considering Beelzemon Blast Mode(in Xros Wars) is the equivalent of a freakin' angel overall, beyond heroic, hell, he was blessed by Ophanimon as Baalmon to be reborn in that mode, the whole idea of "specific Digimon are truly evil or not" doesn't seem to be warranted. It's whether that person(not the Digimon or their type) was evil. A Beelzemon isn't inherently evil, but that particular one could be. I could even say the same for Devimon too. It's not hard to believe a heroic one could exist. Myotismon was a good guy in Digimon World as well.
Woah woah woah woah slow down there. You're going off in a completely different direction from what I was talking about, or rather, adding a lot to it. I'm not talking about the in universe connections or anything that has an actual, tangible effect in the show. I am talking 100% about writer inserted symbolism that is for the viewer to catch from the other side of the 4th wall. Beelzemon doesn't have to be aligned evil at all for a writer to use a character based off of Beelzebub for satanic metaphors (hell he doesn't even have to be Beelebub. You can use anything as a satanic metaphore if you know what you're doing), and two digimon don't have to have any actual connection within digimon to be used in symbolic association. It has more to do with the cultural history behind the influences in the digimon's designs than anything actually to do with digimon at all. I also wasn't implying that Jeri using the card had any effect on anything in the actual show whatsoever, it was just a little thing slid in there for symbolic effect. In the actual show they are just cards, but if we view the show from the outside as a piece of art each individual card could have any sort of meaning the author wanted to give them at that exact moment.

I...have no idea whatsoever where your discussion about whether digimon have alignments or not came from. Yes it's pretty clear that a digimon's species does not determine that digimon's character? I don't believe anyone was arguing otherwise. Unless that was just something you wanted to get off your chest.

Also it's a bit tangential keep in mind that the cross series and cross medium continuity in Digimon is...sketchy at best. There's really no reason for something that is ture in one season not to directly conflict with something that is true in another season or one of the games ect.. And indeed contradictions also arise.

It also might be worth noting that the director of Tamers(who apparently had a lot of control over the project) was essentially a guest director who is not typically in any way involved with Digimon or anything really remotely similar and he probably cared a lot less about the greater Digimon canon than, say, a lot of fans do. Also his works tend to feature absolutely ridiculous amounts of symbolism.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I've got some money to spend on the eShop. Should I spend it now or wait until after E3?

Also for the E3 leaks I've noticed a lot of them have a new Star Fox on them. Is that the one most people want to see or are expecting to be revived?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I've got some money to spend on the eShop. Should I spend it now or wait until after E3?

Also for the E3 leaks I've noticed a lot of them have a new Star Fox on them. Is that the one most people want to see or are expecting to be revived?
Shovel Knight comes out the 26th June, that's my next confirmed purchase

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well talking about how Vegeta was and wasn't handled is another matter entirely. I was under the impression the conversation was a what if statement about what would happen if we assumed DBZ was a real story and Vegeta was removed from the Freeza saga equation, with nothing else changed. Nothing about writing or narrative purpose, just direct cause and effect. If you want to talk about what could happen if Toriyama wanted to do things differently, well, absolutely anything could happen. And feel free to talk about that but that's not something I care to discuss. I thought Vegeta was handled very well but I don't really give a damn.
That's still not what I mean. Removing him from the Freeza saga as is wouldn't make much of a difference. He was still pretty much useless overall or somebody does it better. That's the overall point. Yes, he was there. No, he was not necessary at all. The fact I thought he was handled poorly is not the same situation.

I took it out of context because there was noting in your post clarifying when you said battles you meant card battles. The context wasn't established. Anyways, it's not blatantly said why she's so good at the card game(which I like. I'd rather have subtlety than everything explained outright), but it's not too hard to put the pieces together and it does make sense, and it's pretty important to her character. She was fiercely antisocial, locked herself away from the world and the pressure she felt she was under, and she picked up the card game and it became a form of escape for her eventually became an obsession. Also once she became good she felt the need to become the best because being an elite at something was a crucial crutch for the cold elitist badass facade that she desired to build up for herself.
Yes, I realized I forgot to say that. But it's still ultimately what I meant, and I should've been more specific. I still think it was dumb they refused to show why she was good at it. She just... was good at it. Nothing more.

Plus there is a lot to be said for just plain unexplainable natural talent. I've had people totally eclipse me in days in games that I've been playing diligently for years. And I mean...it's the digimon TCG. The skill ceiling isn't exactly unbelievably hard to reach anyway.
It makes for damn poor storytelling to have "naturally good characters". I don't care if it exists in real life, it's a poor thing to do in fiction. The characters with that kind of thing feel extremely boring. Explain why they're good, even if it's not right away. That feels way more realistic. People aren't that beyond naturally talented anyway. Not at card games. At video games, it's just they're better at reflexes or memorization than another person. It's just a different basic talent some have. Far more natural than some video game god from the day they were born.

I was not implying you were saying you don't think she should be a digidesdined or that you were saying having a digivice means anything(other than being the "definition" of a digidedined). I'm saying you're presenting her as an exception to a distinction that doesn't actually mean anything. Saying someone is a digidesdined doesn't mean anything except they have a digivice which as you just said doesn't mean anything so being determined to talk about things specifically in terms of digidedined is meaningless. It's a pointless categorization.
There is nothing pointless here. I didn't like she was the only jerk Digidestined with no good reason for why she was a jerk. She just was. No corruption(which justifies it). I don't find "bad childhood" as an excuse. It's boring and cliche. Being corrupted actually means she definitely had a heart, it was just taken away. She stands out in this regard since every Digidestined was overall good at heart outside of being corrupted.

None of the rest of the category matters. Overall, you're seriously taking my statement further than the whole point of it. I didn't like that type of character, and she doesn't match up to the other Digidestined who I felt were better handled, especially for the more "jerk" types.(again, it's specific to the Digidestined category and I clearly made the assertion I'm talking about digidestined. So of course it's a category, because I was saying she was the stand out in a category. I don't understand why this is so weird here.)

Woah woah woah woah slow down there. You're going off in a completely different direction from what I was talking about, or rather, adding a lot to it. I'm not talking about the in universe connections or anything that has an actual, tangible effect in the show. I am talking 100% about writer inserted symbolism that is for the viewer to catch from the other side of the 4th wall. Beelzemon doesn't have to be aligned evil at all for a writer to use a character based off of Beelzebub for satanic metaphors (hell he doesn't even have to be Beelebub. You can use anything as a satanic metaphore if you know what you're doing), and two digimon don't have to have any actual connection within digimon to be used in symbolic association. It has more to do with the cultural history behind the influences in the digimon's designs than anything actually to do with digimon at all. I also wasn't implying that Jeri using the card had any effect on anything in the actual show whatsoever, it was just a little thing slid in there for symbolic effect. In the actual show they are just cards, but if we view the show from the outside as a piece of art each individual card could have any sort of meaning the author wanted to give them at that exact moment.
I don't believe there was any symbolism at all. There was literally no consequences that can be tied to using that particular card at all. It might be if say, an actual Devimon killed Leomon or a LadyDevimon showed up, or they bothered to mention that Juri was messing with evil(which was not mentioned in any way). It's purely a coincidence due to a similar thing happening before, except for the fact that it fails to explain that "messing with evil" existed at all. Pure coincidence.

I...have no idea whatsoever where your discussion about whether digimon have alignments or not came from. Yes it's pretty clear that a digimon's species does not determine that digimon's character? I don't believe anyone was arguing otherwise. Unless that was just something you wanted to get off your chest.
It's part of why I don't believe any symbolism existed. There was no "alignment" to break. It's just a card.

Also it's a bit tangential keep in mind that the cross series and cross medium continuity in Digimon is...sketchy at best. There's really no reason for something that is ture in one season not to directly conflict with something that is true in another season or one of the games ect.. And indeed contradictions also arise.
Except Tamers made clear references to the previous seasons, so they were connected. It might've just been the dub, but they talk of the actual Adventure 1 and 2 as a TV show. It was treated like an alternate universe. And it still has continuity overall. Xros Wars made it apparent during the second season when all the main heroes(and sometimes the lancer) showed up for an episode or two.

It also might be worth noting that the director of Tamers(who apparently had a lot of control over the project) was essentially a guest director who is not typically in any way involved with Digimon or anything really remotely similar and he probably cared a lot less about the greater Digimon canon than, say, a lot of fans do. Also his works tend to feature absolutely ridiculous amounts of symbolism.
Even so, the LadyDevimon bit showed no signs of symbolism whatsoever. Now, other stuff does, like with the Megidramon digivolution, as it showed anger does not make for a good digivolution, but true evil. (never mind Megidramon is one of the Four Holy Dragons, but as said, he was not knowledgeable about all the canon). He did get some things right, like the guardians with Quinlongmon and the other 3 Sovereign. Those were an actual specific group and even the dub played that correctly. Also, many Digimon are naturally violent even in the Adventure 1 and 2 series, which they didn't act all that different here. I'd say he kept up the idea of how the series works extremely well. Also, it was well known that Armor Digimon always had alternate levels and could often come from regular Digimon without using a DigiEgg.(to note, an Armor level is only achieved with Armor Digivolution. Actually digivolving into that Digimon without a DigiEgg is a regular Digivolution and completely normal). Also, they avoid this beautifully with X-Antibody Armors. They are treated as a regular level instead of an Armor period.

I know a went off on some tangents, but I do like dropping fun information. Anyway, as I said, LadyDevimon fails to acknowledge it could be some kind of symbolism, but the Megidramon bit does manage to show how a dark heart can corrupt others. Also, if you want to note the Leomon thing better, from what I remember, every version was defeated by a humanoid opponent(Savers I forget who defeated Saber, though). SaberLeomon from MetalEtemon, Leomon by Beezlemon, IceLeomon/Panjyamon from Agunimon, SaberLeomon from well, this is a partial exception, since it was RizeGreymon, Marcus, and a Gizmon, BancheoLeomon from ShineGreymon Burst Mode, BantyoLeomon from ShineGreymon, MadLeomon from Shoutmon X2(who is still pretty humanoid overall). I do not remember who beat Marsmon later on in Xros Wars, though.

I did have to check a video to remember the Savers defeats.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't like the designs of the newer digimon

Everyone has been telling me my artistic style looks like digimon, so I've come to really like the designs of some of them

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
So, in case you don't know- we're at 30 confirmed playable characters currently. How about that... And if the, "original twelve always return" is actually a thing for this game, we're at 33.

Not a bad number, to be honest. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So, in case you don't know- we're at 30 confirmed playable characters currently. How about that... And if the, "original eight always return" is actually a thing for this game, we're at 33.

Not a bad number, to be honest. What do you guys think?
Original 12, you mean. That's 3 more unconfirmed characters, which would add 3 more. Original 8 is already revealed, remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom