• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Ryo came in well before she ever got the biomerge, and I felt she didn't really improve that much till after he came in. He wasn't a great character, but she was no less awful. It was nice that it was believable with how long it took for her to mature, but it didn't make her less ridiculous overall. I honestly never really liked her as a character, as even as pretty much a Sue(it doesn't matter that Ryo did it worse), she was beyond cold-hearted. No digidestined(that was that way right away or at least wasn't being controlled/directly corrupted) was ever that horrible. I severely disliked her period. Ryo I didn't like either, but he had nothing interesting about him to go off of to like.
Except she was never a "Sue," she had problems and flaws that were addressed as the show went on and she grew from them. She was not as good as she thought she was, she got into situations that she couldn't handle (again, Icedevimon, Gargomon, Beezemon), didn't always have a plan of action that worked, and really wasn't portrayed as any better then Takato and Henry in the battlefield. She was good, but hardly the perfect star that you're making her out to be.

As for the Cold Hearted bit, again, that was mitigated once character development kicked in. She used to think in a way that wasn't positive, but when she saw how her actions were horrible, she started to change. She grew out of attacking Takato and Henry, she stopped treating Renamon as a tool, and even saved what was the team's most vicious opponent up until the end of the Digital World arc. Also, even at her worst, her actions never reached the level of sociopathy that Ken, Kurata, Ewan, Christopher or especially Neo did.

All they really needed was to show more of his backstory via flashbacks(which justifies those gifts), and show how he got the biomerge. Obviously he had to have done something right besides be "powerful" for the biomerge to work. However, if his only reason for being in is executive meddling, the writers probably didn't have any previous plans or a good way to implement him properly.
Right, which is why he came off as much worse then any of the characters. The writers were not allowed any time to develop or flesh out his character, so he came off as a perfect character who could barely do no wrong and got all of the toys that the other characters either worked towards or never got. At her very worst, Rika had development and grew from her ways, and the same with Takato and Henry. Ryo never had that luxury and thus was just a perfect character with no justifiable reason for it.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If you were to remove Vegeta from the Freza Saga Equation, I see two possible outcomes.

1. The Genyu body switch happens like normal, Genyu wins.

2.The Genyu switch doesn't happen(they might well not even show up if not for Vegeta murdering al of Freza's men early on), Goku never gets the resulting near death experience and power up, Freeza absolutely dominates Goku.

This is also assuming, of course, that there was no way Freeza was ever going to get the password out of the Namekians.

It's really hard to say though because Vegeta was a hugely active character in the Freeza saga and removing him changes a ton of variables.
It's still likely Goku would've shown up and got beaten, then powered up later anyway. Vegeta's actions weren't needed to beat the Ginyu Force period, as Goku clearly could've done it without issues. That's my point. Even Ginyu.

You can dislike or hate Rika as much as you want, but Mary Sue? She's deeply and blatantly flawed, she has a character arc, she stays in charcter for the entire series(minus the Locomon movie), she suffers lots of troubles, setbacks and embarrassing moments, she's not comparatively more useful than her co-stars once they gets in the swing of things like a couple episodes in(in fact she spends most of the series behind the curve), the other characters don't treat her like she's perfect(especially Henry) and while her struggles are played sympathetically the show is very critical of her and never lets her have a pity parade. And she's quite realistic, I've definitely meet real people a LOT like her, and yes, even some her age. I would never even consider calling her character a Mary Sue. Maybe a deconstruction of Mary Sues that gets to the deconstructing very, very fast.
Started off as a blatant Mary Sue, got better. That's what I mean.

As far as no other digidestined being like her...Christopher? Unless you're being semantic about in which seasons they are technically called digidestined or not. I also don't see why having a "horrible" digidestined is necessarily a bad thing, especially in a season that is decidedly way darker than the other seasons and in which character flaws are basically the central focus of the entire season.
Christopher also got better, but yeah, he doesn't actually count as a real Digidestined. They're designated strictly by a Digivice holder in canon. He also does care a lot about people and just had to see the light. Nene was actually worse than him from the start, but also got better.

Just me personally she's possibly my all time favorite digidestined. Either her or Henry. Those two are WAY ahead of all the others for me (which is not to say I don't like the other digidestined. I like almost all of them).
As much as I liked that season, the Digidestined were just... not very good to me. The writing in itself and dark action was great, but I never felt for most of them, except Juri. The rest felt kind of annoying at times.

Except she was never a "Sue," she had problems and flaws that were addressed as the show went on and she grew from them. She was not as good as she thought she was, she got into situations that she couldn't handle (again, Icedevimon, Gargomon, Beezemon), didn't always have a plan of action that worked, and really wasn't portrayed as any better then Takato and Henry once she was knocked down a peg. She was good, but hardly the perfect star that you're making her out to be.

As for the Cold Hearted bit, again, that was mitigated once character development kicked in. She used to think in a way that wasn't positive, but when she saw how her actions were horrible, she started to change. She grew out of attacking Takato and Henry, she stopped treating Renamon as a tool, and even saved what was the team's most vicious opponent up until the end of the Digital World arc. Also, even at her worst, her actions never reached the level of sociopathy that Ken, Kurata, Ewan, Christopher or especially Neo did.
Ken was being controlled. Kurata isn't a digidestined. Christopher does not count in any way as a Digidestined(Fusion Loaders are not Digivices period). I have no idea who Ewan is. I never read the Manga and am only speaking of the Anime purely.

And yes, she was a sue. She had no flaws at first. She was pretty much a pure unbeatable winner for quite a bit. They had to deconstruct her Sue status first, which took a bit.

Right, which is why he came off as much worse then any of the characters. The writers were not allowed any time to develop or flesh out his character, so he came off as a perfect character who could barely do no wrong and got all of the toys that the other characters either worked towards or never got. At her very worst, Rika had development and grew from her ways, and the same with Takato and Henry. Ryo never had that luxury and thus was just a perfect character with no justifiable reason for it.
Rika started off that way, which was lame, but they did fix her. It was nice they didn't let the Sue status stick. And yes, I fully believe in every way she was a Sue at first, no questions asked. I will be blunt in this; That's an opinion I refuse to change. She was a Sue, period. Ryo never left that status.

Last edited:

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Is it wrong to anyone that I think Peter Cullen should be the announcer for Smash 4?
Naw he'd be a great choice.

Personally I would especially like it if he used his Eyeore voice. That would get me pumped.

".....Mario....*sigh*"

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
People still care about Patcher?
Sadly.

He only makes these 'predictions' about nintendo cus GameTrailers just asks him stuff in an interview, so he's always put on the spot. And since he's always put on the spot, he's gotta pull stuff out of his butt. If it was one of his paying jobs, he'd do the research necessary to give an accurate forcast.

Basically, no pay = no care.

EDIT: It also doesn't help when GameTrailers is heavily biased towards Xbox and heavily biased against Nintendo.
My point still stands. He'd be perfect for Fox News. He'd then have a job with people just as idiotic as he is.

I seriously doubt he'd research if he was payed.

Last edited:

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Do any of you believe in faith healing?
I'm not religious at all so maybe I'm missing the mark entirely here but the best criticism of faith healing I've ever heard is that old tale story where a woman drowns because she refuses help from a car, a boat, and a helicopter because she believes god will save her. Then she gets to heaven and asks God why He didn't save her and He's like "I tried I sent you a car I gave you the boat I gave you the helicopter but you wouldn't take any of them!"

If you believe in God then let Him to heal by allowing you to have medical assistance.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm not religious at all so maybe I'm missing the mark entirely here but the best criticism of faith healing I've ever heard is that old tale story where a woman drowns because she refuses help from a car, a boat, and a helicopter because she believes god will save her. Then she gets to heaven and asks God why He didn't save her and He's like "I tried I sent you a car I gave you the boat I gave you the helicopter but you wouldn't take any of them!"

If you believe in God then let Him to heal by allowing you to have medical assistance.
Just like God conceived science that contradicts his existence?

*runs out of thread as fast as possible.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's basically having a unit of the Priest class use an healing spell on someone else. The power of faith and light is awesome like that. :troll:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's basically having a unit of the Priest class use an healing spell on someone else. The power of faith and light is awesome like that. :troll:
And still more believable because you can feel yourself getting healed. :awesome:

Also, that might be a real class name. >_>

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Just saw a video about James Randi debunking faith healing...
The person that got " healed" only acted like he couldn't walk... I mean.. that's pure evil.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
In faith healing, I only have cure, poisona and harm

But harm ain't going to be curing no one. Except undead of existing!

Ta1nted_4ngel29

Smash Ace
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
I'm not exactly against the idea.

I'll believe there is a possibility such a thing could exist, but I wouldn't believe till I saw it for myself.

It also doesn't help that known "faith healers" are basically con artists.
I have this tendency with psychics. While I do believe the ability exists, most of the people who claim they are are con artists, like that John Edwards guy. Asking vague questions and making you tell him everything and passing it off like he read your mind. :/

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Do any of you believe in faith healing?
I believe there are cases where it could be real and cases where people lie about it for whatever reason. I have my reasons for thinking that way, and I doubt my opinion/reasons will change anyone's minds about it.

Morbi

Scavenger
I believe there are cases where it could be real and cases where people lie about it for whatever reason. I have my reasons for thinking that way, and I doubt my opinion/reasons will change anyone's minds about it.
Probably not unless you had objective proof. I would wager that you do not; however, have anything to that effect (as it does not exist).

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
You can try to change our minds. :awesome:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom