• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ta1nted_4ngel29

Smash Ace
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
Oh, so many things.
First off, the fact that you can hold just one item at a time takes away all the little strategy Mario Kart had before, forcing you to keep the item for protection up to the entire race sometimes, instead of throwing it in search of something better. The game straight up punishes you if you dare launching the item trying to get an opponent behind you, leaving you with your butt exposed, especially if you get the dreadful Coin item.
The Coin item is simply a mistake. In first position, it appears too often (up to three times in a row to me) leaving you completely defenseless and also being useless if you already have the 10 coins. It shouldn't appear when you already have them. Hell, it shouldn't exist. I hope a patch removes it.
So, basically, 99% of the time you're just holding that Banana/Green Shell, and if they're used to protect you from another item, chance is you'll have to wait a quarter of the track to take another item. One-two punches happen often so you really can't do anything about that.
The Blue Shell thing is a little better maybe but the Box item is very rare especially in first position, and even if you manage to get it you'll probably just keep for the entire race waiting for the Blue Shell (I used it against the Shell just once and I already beat all the 50cc, 100cc and 150cc cups with a three-stars ranking).

In the end, it comes off as simply boring when played at a low difficulty since you barely see the other players, and it's broken when it's at a hard difficulty for the reasons I said above.
To be honest, the whole game seems incredibly dumbed down to me. The two Rainbow Roads are by far the easiest, most boring and flat Rainbow Roads of the entire franchise. The item system completely removes all strategy involved before and even all the characters/karts feel almost the same, with a couple of exceptions.
...This is a bit of a red flag for someone wanting this game (I.E. me).

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I'm slightly hyped, and slightly not at the same time, it's an odd feeling...

Edit: This changes some of my FD related stuff too, Battlefield Grand Finals? Curious...

DOUBLE EDIT: This also shows Nintendo saying items should be off for more competitive matches, big thing there for the competitive community!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I do like that they play sexy music when starting to introduce the GameCube adapter.

Even if I find that controller overrated, it's a nice option.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Warning Received
...This is a bit of a red flag for someone wanting this game (I.E. me).
To be fair, I still haven't played it in multiplayer and online because I want to unlock everything. It's probably a lot better with friends.

I do like that they play sexy music when starting to introduce the GameCube adapter.

Even if I find that controller overrated, it's a nice option.
It's not the Gamecube controller being overrated, it's the other ones being underrated.
GC controller is GOAT.

Last edited by a moderator:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Eh... I want to be excited for Gamecube controller support, especially with that neat Smash logo on the controller itself, but I find my Gamepad and Wii U Pro Controller comfortable enough.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The controller itself IS sexy anyway.
Eh. It's not that great to me. Now, the N64 Controller... that's got a lot of great buttons. And the 3rd party version that has it so there's only one way to hold it(no weirdly places buttons, it's akin to the GameCube Controller, but I found it way more comfortable and the Stick was great), now that felt sexy`

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Eh. It's not that great to me. Now, the N64 Controller... that's got a lot of great buttons. And the 3rd party version that has it so there's only one way to hold it(no weirdly places buttons, it's akin to the GameCube Controller, but I found it way more comfortable and the Stick was great), now that felt sexy`
Third Party N64 Controllers.

I laughed really hard.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Third Party N64 Controllers.

I laughed really hard.
Yes, they exist. And yes, they're awesome(well, depends which one, but I only picked up the actual useful ones). The control sticks are amazingly sturdy and cooperative.(then again, the GameCube Control Stick was nothing short of terrible overall. Too goddamn sensitive, and it made a lot of games that had you aim stuff(I.E. Link's Bow in OOT's ports) a pain) Otherwise, the GCN controller is fine, not counting the L/R triggers being kind of eh.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
http://e3.nintendo.com/invitational/info.html

"Two players move on to the next round: 1 by Highest Score (Kills minus Falls) 1 decided by Fan Vote (the decibel level of the fans will decide a tied vote)"

LMAO, freaking Nintendo.

I'm okay with everything except Geoff AKA the Dorito Pope. I wish they would have just let Reggie do it instead of that enormous tool...
I think that the commentators and players are one of the best parts, along with the GC adapter. I mean, aMSa, milktea, Ken, HugS, KDJ, Toph, DJNintendo, Hbox, PPU, PPMD, Zero? And Prg, D1, and Scar as commentators?

This is literally one of the best things that Nintendo has ever done. It's hard, concrete proof that they're watching the compteitive community. For Glory and stuff didn't prove it to me that Nintendo was watching, but now I'm convinced.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
How is it a regret? lol

You probably wont be getting this till the winter anyway. :laugh:
Because I've seen one on sale for 4 bucks at a thrift store yesterday. Either way, I'll order a better one from eBay during the summer anyway since I didn't think it looked so hot.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
You probably wont be getting this till the winter anyway. :laugh:
*insert skeptical raised eyebrow look*

But what... KIND of winter are we talking about? We talking "Drop the adaptor in your Halloween Basket" winter, we talking "Fight over turkey legs and beat up your brother and give him a black eye with a baseball bat for eating the las- I mean uh.... being THANKFUL" winter, or maybe just maybe "under the tree" winter?

I hate vague terms.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
*insert skeptical raised eyebrow look*

But what... KIND of winter are we talking about? We talking "Drop the adaptor in your Halloween Basket" winter, we talking "Fight over turkey legs and beat up your brother and give him a black eye with a baseball bat for eating the las- I mean uh.... being THANKFUL" winter, or maybe just maybe "under the tree" winter?

I hate vague terms.
Obviously Nuclear. Fallout rep confired!
#ihatemyself

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Of course I expected you to fanboy over it. You ARE Mr.SONICFanfics for a reason. :troll:
(I was afraid of this)
Ok, I'll bite. I'm actually a late bloomer. I didn't start playing Sonic until I was 13. In fact, I highly doubted that Sonic would make it into Brawl, as I could've cared less back then.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Gah... I'm actually hype enough I'm considering finding some way to make the 3 hour drive to Brentwood for the smashfest demo... I gotta find a good car.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Now then. Will the Smash 4 demo at Best Buy have the same roster as the invitational? Will they also be granted the chance to use this GCN adapter as well?

Hrmmmmm.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Players : AAUUGH YESSSS

Announcers: HYYPPEE

DORITOS AND MOUNTAIN DEW HOST SURE WHY NOT

and then there's that sexy adaptor.

Thank you Nintendo. Praise Reggie. All hail Sakurai.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I'm kinda happy there won't be Mew2King if you know what I mean.

Anyhow.. I'm not really into competitive Smash.

But if I have to choose a favorite of these 16 Highly Skilled Players i'm gonna go with Hungrybox.
Why? Because :jigglypuffmelee:.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom