• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
I'd want some starting roster characters to not be revealed prior to release. Would be nice to be surprised the first time you load up the game and go to the character select screen.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
And plus he might be revealing all of the characters early so there are no spoilers. (Thats why subspace was kicked do to ruining it for beginings in smash series.) Then after the release and when everyone who is playable is reveal one at a time he shows the methood of unlocking that character and how many matches you have to do to fight that character.
Gonna fess up:
I think it's a good idea to remove those cutscenes. Less time spent on those, less spoiler opportunities and less ruined surprise.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I've always thought that it would be a good idea for most of the characters from Brawl to be available from the start of the game, and a good portion of the newcomers should be unlockable. That way, people aren't bummed out when they have to unlock Jigglypuff for the fourth time, and there is some actual surprise. Although I think whatever newcomers are hidden will be extension of existing series, not new, with the possible exception of the guest characters.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
And plus he might be revealing all of the characters early so there are no spoilers. (Thats why subspace was kicked do to ruining it for beginings in smash series.) Then after the release and when everyone who is playable is reveal one at a time he shows the methood of unlocking that character and how many matches you have to do to fight that character.
Okay, seriously, what is the ****ing point of revealing unlockable characters early. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I've always thought that it would be a good idea for most of the characters from Brawl to be available from the start of the game, and a good portion of the newcomers should be unlockable. That way, people aren't bummed out when they have to unlock Jigglypuff for the fourth time, and there is some actual surprise.
If that's the case, I still want Little Mac as a starter. I'll be able to scratch the need for a glass cannon in Smash finally.
Okay, seriously, what is the ****ing point of revealing unlockable characters early. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
I remember going on a news site on launch day for Japan and severely regretting it because someone forgot spoilter tags.. (regarding Brawl) There's an element of surprise missing.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If that's the case, I still want Little Mac as a starter. I'll be able to scratch the need for a glass cannon in Smash finally.
I'm pretty sure Little Mac is a starting character regardless of whether unlockable characters exist in the game or not. Same with Villager. The only one who legitimately surprises me is Wii Fit Trainer, but that could be a case of promotion being put ahead of Sakurai's trolling tendencies.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
And with that, I have a concern.

Sakurai said that every newcomer would have a video that could be accessed in the actual game, right? So what about secret newcomers? Would we be able to immediately see their video, spoiling who it is from the get-go? Or would the video be unlocked with the character?
They could just release the trailers after the Japanese release like they did with characters in Brawl.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok the. Explain how sonic and megaman got revealed when in brawl sonic and snake had to be unlock because they were third party

Do you really think megaman and sonic will be starters

And how about luigi and toon link

Luigi a ben unlockable in all of them

And it is down right weird if both links are starters

And did you listen I said he reveals all of them but doesn't reveal which ones have to be unlock and he does not show how to unlock the characters

Then when it comes out we see the roster which ever characters are missing you have to get them

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Why not Mr. G&W? Or Lucario?
They're glass cannons...
Lucario's mechanic isn't very glass cannon. He's a medium-weight, who has a mechanic for getting hit, not one which asks you with a subtle undertone to not get hit or you will die.
G+W is not very glass cannon quality. He doesn't have the speed of Little Mac nor the fraility.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Ok the. Explain how sonic and megaman got revealed when in brawl sonic and snake had to be unlock because they were third party

Do you really think megaman and sonic will be starters

And how about luigi and toon link

Luigi a ben unlockable in all of them

And it is down right weird if both links are starters

And did you listen I said he reveals all of them but doesn't reveal which ones have to be unlock and he does not show how to unlock the characters

Then when it comes out we see the roster which ever characters are missing you have to get them
Also, Marth and Lucario have a high chance of being unlockable.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What did Marth have to do with the time he was revealed? At least in Capt. Falcons case, the GBA version of F-Zero is one of the launch titles for the GBA VC service in Japan.
10th anniversary of the Fire Emblem series finally reaching North America? November 3, 2003.... though it was on a Sunday in 2013... but Marth was confirmed on November 7, 2013... and Fire Emblem 7 was the game that came to North America in 2003.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Melee Jigglypuff was basically one if anything. Easy to kill at low percents due to light weight and floatiness. However due to her rest, which got nerfed in Brawl >_>, and her gimping power she was pretty much able to kill opponents early. :L

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Melee Jigglypuff was basically one if anything. Easy to kill at low percents due to light weight and floatiness. However due to her rest, which got nerfed in Brawl >_>, and her gimping power she was pretty much able to kill opponents early. :L
Jiggs is a partial Glass Cannon, but I see her as more of a... what's the word... Acrobatic Air Troll? She's not very fast, she just has a superb kill weapon.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
G+W is not very glass cannon quality. He doesn't have the speed of Little Mac nor the fraility.
Well, if anything, would Little Mac then be a "Fragile Speedster"?
And we haven't seen the frailty of Little Mac, other than he has a terrible recovery.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Jiggs is a partial Glass Cannon, but I see her as more of a... what's the word... Acrobatic Air Troll? She's not very fast, she just has a superb kill weapon.
Move speed has nothing to do with a glass canon. All it means is something that can kill early, and it doesn't have to be super fast either, with usually just one hit but in return can be killed very easily. Jiggs definitely falls under that.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
And we haven't seen the frailty of Little Mac, other than he has a terrible recovery.
I guess you could say that. My ideal glass cannon lies around low health characters with high speed or power. Think Phoenix from UMVC3 or Shin Akuma.
Move speed has nothing to do with a glass canon. All it means is something that can kill early, and it doesn't have to be super fast either, with usually just one hit but in return can be killed very easily. Jiggs definitely falls under that.
It can have a very different effect. The large majority of glass cannons are ridiculously fast and either are able to attack at incredibly fast rates (Ragna or Tao from Blazblue) or have attacks that are powerful but not very fast. Jiggs can fall under the latter, I suppose. I used to main Jiggs in Melee and I played a weird kind of Jiggs. Where you don't use Rest that often.
I think the term would be "Killer Rabbit".
Get the Holy Hand Grenade. :troll:

Last edited:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
10th anniversary of the Fire Emblem series finally reaching North America? November 3, 2003.... though it was on a Sunday in 2013... but Marth was confirmed on November 7, 2013... and Fire Emblem 7 was the game that came to North America in 2003.
Sakurai only acknowledges Japanese release dates and anniversaries, remember?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Combine that with a light weight and you've got a character who you can kill pretty easily just by getting him off stage.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Why not Mr. G&W? Or Lucario?
They're glass cannons...
They really aren't.

GnW isn't exactly easy or hard to kill and his really powerful moves rely on either a RNG factor or projectiles which makes them not so useful.

Lucario isn't easy to kill either and isn't strong until he gets up to high precents.

Neither of them fall under glass canons. Lucario falls under as a come back/revenge character more or less. GnW is basically a troll character.

It can have a very different effect. The large majority of glass cannons are ridiculously fast and either are able to attack at incredibly fast rates (Ragna or Tao from Blazblue) or have attacks that are powerful but not very fast. Jiggs can fall under the latter, I suppose. I used to main Jiggs in Melee and I played a weird kind of Jiggs. Where you don't use Rest that often.
I know the majority are, buuuuuut, the term glass canon itself has nothing to do with speed and not all glass canons are fast. It really just needs two requirements, very easy to kill and able to kill early or hit like 5 trucks. Jiggs meets both, at least in Melee, less so in Brawl.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Sakurai only acknowledges Japanese release dates and anniversaries, remember?
We'll probably get a Diddy reveal next week to coincide with the NA/EU launch of Tropical Freeze since Little Mac received priority this week.
Er... Do you mean all release dates, or just dates for older games that have been released the past?

Did you actually mean "release date anniversaries"?

-----

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I guess you could say that. My ideal glass cannon lies around low health characters with high speed or power. Think Phoenix from UMVC3 or Shin Akuma.

Or, in this case, one that could be KOed easily.

Get the Holy Hand Grenade. :troll:
Run away! Run away!

Combine that with a light weight and you've got a character who you can kill pretty easily just by getting him off stage.
Pretty much. I think his worst problem will be characters with a great air game (like Meta Knight).

GnW isn't exactly easy or hard to kill and his really powerful moves rely on either a RNG factor or projectiles which makes them not so useful.
The turtle.

Neither of them fall under glass canons. Lucario falls under as a come back/revenge character more or less. GnW is basically a troll character.
Which is why I love him.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Fine then.
What about his smashes?
They aren't exactly OHKO moves and don't exactly hit like a truck.

A glass canon has to be able to die early/be killed early, which GnW doesn't fall under and has to also be able to return the death by killing early, which again GnW doesn't have unless he gets RNG blessed.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm pretty sure Little Mac is a starting character regardless of whether unlockable characters exist in the game or not. Same with Villager. The only one who legitimately surprises me is Wii Fit Trainer, but that could be a case of promotion being put ahead of Sakurai's trolling tendencies.
Just imagine... if Wii Fit Trainer wasn't confirmed at E3 2013... and instead she was confirmed on December 18, 2013 instead of Rosalina & Luma... to promote Wii Fit U... people would be crying that Sakurai ruined Christmas. :troll:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
They aren't exactly OHKO moves and don't exactly hit like a truck.

A glass canon has to be able to die early/be killed early, which GnW doesn't fall under and has to also be able to return the death by killing early, which again GnW doesn't have unless he gets RNG blessed.
Well, then.
What is he then?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I already said. A troll character. His moves have weird properties, rely on RNG, he has awkward and deceiving movement. He is a troll basically. e_e
I'll agree that he does have weird properties. Though only ones on his moves rely on RNG. And not exactly one to rely on for KOing (F-Smash would be a better choice)...

I think a better term would be "high risk, high reward." Even then, it doesn't really sum up G&W well.
Or "Confusion Fu".

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I think a better term would be "high risk, high reward." Even then, it doesn't really sum up G&W well.

Smooth Criminal
I dunno, GnW has quite a few safe moves, like the turtle or any of his aerials really and some of his smashes are even safe. "Troll" character is the best I can think of for GnW. He's a really hard to define character in one term.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
He's just too many things. Risky Hammer, annoying Food, Useless Down Special, annoying Up Special, Ridiculous FS, Turtle...
I think maybe the term Grab Bag or Full Platter is a good term.
His Down+B move is not really useless if you know how to use it... for example...

3 fully-charged Charge Shots from Samus + one bucket = a potential one-hit KO

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Maybe "Clown Fighter"?
Then he'd actually fight with clown tools. And look horrifying.
Those could work.
He's one of those weird characters that fits into a lot of archetypes.
His Down+B move is not really useless if you know how to use it... for example...

3 fully-charged Charge Shots from Samus + one bucket = a potential one-hit KO
It's very conditional. Too much to be that useful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom