• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
You know, half the cast.
Are you talking global demographic?
Mario is a game that gears towards all kinds of Nintendo consumers, there's only a few franchises of that caliber, like Kirby and Pokemon. Those guys are the center field.
Games like Animal Crossing and Wii Fit are geared towards the left field, generally more casual consumers.
Series such as Zelda, and Metroid are geared towards the slightly older audiences or slightly more "Hardcore" Nintendo consumers, that's Right Field.

In recent years, Nintendo has made it a bigger deal to push that middle field through.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I love how I keep trying to chance the subject.

Pineapples.

I somehow feel like the archnemesis of mods.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Speaking of Mario Kart, I hear Mario Kart 8 has gone through the roof on Amazon Japan. I think it's doing better than the PS4 currently.

The Wii U is going to turn out just fine...................................in Japan. It's Everywhere else that needs convincing.
Eh, the whole industry is in trouble right now and Wii U's actually looking fairly healthy compared to everyone else. A big issue is that games are becoming more and more expensive to make so big budget games are all the more riskier. I can easily see this being the last "traditional" gaming generation with a major rethinking of the industry happening by the end of the decade.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Eh, the whole industry is in trouble right now and Wii U's actually looking fairly healthy compared to everyone else. A big issue is that games are becoming more and more expensive to make so big budget games are all the more riskier. I can easily see this being the last "traditional" gaming generation with a major rethinking of the industry happening by the end of the decade.
I hope so. The fact that Microsoft thought it was a great idea to package a required, $100 Kinect to a system when your competitor makes it 100% optional and therefore lowers the price... And then we have to think about games getting more expensive. UGH.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
True, Sony is doing all they can to make the PS4 a success their entire company needs profitable sources of income. Investors are pressuring the CEO of Microsoft to do away with the Xbox platform as well as Surface tablets. Compared to the competition Nintendo maybe financially stable, but I think Nintendo's reputation/public perception is struggling.

The Wii was a bit of an double edge sword of Nintendo. While it became a mass public success, many gamers as well as dev companies saw Nintendo as a kids & shovelware platform. Going off of the translation of the investor meeting, even Iwata has state "Marketing to kids isn't enough."

I think what Nintendo needs to do is put out and receive the type of games to show gamers and dev companies a like that Nintendo is well diversed in gaming content for all ages not just kids. Nintendo needs to prove to gamers that they'll bring the games they want, and when they do, devs will see Nintendo platforms as a viable platform to release their games. Once that happens Nintendo can have that awesome library that it once had for the SNES.

As for last traditional gaming generation comment, that could be the case sure. Maybe by 2017 our phones will be just as competent as out consoles today, probably more at the rat they're advancing. But I think public perception is still key if Nintendo is going to want find their place in the market when that time comes.

Sorry for the long ass reply :skull:

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There is one thing I'll give Nintendo credit for and it's that Nintendo's support for indie developers is outstanding and I think their choice to give them so much support will pay off in spades eventually but perhaps later than sooner.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
So apparently they completed Tropical Freeze at 100% and no K. Rool. Expected, at this point.
I think it's time to let him go. Maybe next time.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Whenever someone mentions this, I immediately think of Resident Evil 6. I remember the game selling over 6 million copies or so, if I'm not mistaken. But it wasn't enough to make it into the green. This had to do with the budget I believe. I'm hoping we can out of this fad of making games too much like movies and simply focus on making solid good games. But I guess the people want what they want.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
So apparently they completed Tropical Freeze at 100% and no K. Rool. Expected, at this point.
I think everyone expects Dixie over K. Rool, but still imo K. Rool has more potential to be a cooler character.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Some of the top choices are bound not to make it so people ought to brace themselves now to dull the blow should it happen. Issac, Ridley, and K. Rool have been the three fan favorites that I've doubted for awhile now but I still feel like Issac is by far the least likely of the three. K. Rool might squeak by simply because he's been a popular pick since even before Melee but Nintendo's certainly hasn't done any favors for him as of late.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm hoping we can out of this fad of making games too much like movies and simply focus on making solid good games. .
This, all this. I'm tired of seeing people praise games for their story or atmosphere when their gameplay and actual design is sloppy or subpar. Sure they can add to a game, but IMO if a game's only defining element is its story it's not really an amazing game.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
The only thing at this point that can bring King K. Rool back in the spotlight is if he somehow finds a way to weasel into Mario Kart 8 the way Funky Kong did for Wii.

I know he was in Sluggers? Or was it Strikers? Idk but I do remember hearing about King K. in one of those Mario Sports games.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I want a boss showcase of that game, like I don't want them to finish them off fast. I guess it's me liking boss stuff recently. Atm, the seal one is my favorite. It's rare to find a good first boss with a variety of attacks who doesn't die after 3 hits, and has amazing music.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
The only thing at this point that can bring King K. Rool back in the spotlight is if he somehow finds a way to weasel his way into Mario Kart 8 the way Funky Kong did for Wii.

I know he was in Sluggers? Or was it Strikers? Idk but I do remember hearing about King K. in one of those Mario Sports games.
He was in Sluggers, ironically placed on DK's team.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Well of course you got bored. Meddling in the afairs of mortals
Is always boring. Much better to be everywhere at once in the shadows and toy with mortals. In this one far far away realm from earth is a boy named Sora and a old man Xehanort. The boy is quite stupid and humorous and the old man thinks he is so smart but little does he know of the true origins of Heartless and Nobodies and the real reasons why things are happening.

Because Paris has a Pantheon to.
Everyone is Sora and everyone that isn't Sora, is Xehanort.

Plot Twist, Sora gets fully corrupted by darkness and is sent back in time to Destiny Islands with amnesia and grows to become Young Xehanort, thus making him the original Xehanort and making everything come full circle. After this realization, all of the Xehanorts all merge into current timeline Sora with the X-Blade (pronounced like "keyblade" although it's sometimes called "kye-blade" apparently) forming into his hand from his own Kingdom Key and he's the true final boss of KH3 that you fight in the dead center of the true Kingdom Hearts.

And the sad part is, as wacky and nonsensical as that all sounds, that could very well be how things turn out in KH3. XD

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Many believe the Kremlings and K. Rool will be back with Country 3, but at this point I simply believe Nintendo doesn't like them for some reason. Sure they were in Sluggers and that awful racing game, but I guess that's because the first game had a very big roster (the gamecube one was 40+ IIRC) so they were probably reaching for new characters, and the second was Kong-only so if you want a minimum of 20ish characters, you need to get K. Rool too. Also they weren't developed by Nintendo itself so that's probably a reason too, Nintendo doesn't have a problem if those software house want to use K. Rool & Co., but if it was Nintendo's decision (like it is with Mario Kart for example) it's a no-no.

I would like him a lot in Mario Kart 8, but we already got SEVEN wtf characters with the Koopalings. Cranky and Dixie are most definitely getting in over him. Assist Trophy status is really the best we can hope to get, and that's too is a very slim chance imho. We have DK and Diddy, we're probably getting Dixie, so for assist trophies there is Cranky first (yeah, ****ing Cranky getting everything LOL) and possibly some of the new vikings enemies.

I always said that K. Rool's chances were all in his possible appearance in Tropical Freeze. But he's not in, so I'm 100% sure he's not going to be in Sm4sh either. Well, he wasn't one of my favorite picks, but it's kinda sad.

Then again, Sakurai is Sakurai.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I want a boss showcase of that game, like I don't want them to finish them off fast. I guess it's me liking boss stuff recently. Atm, the seal one is my favorite. It's rare to find a good first boss with a variety of attacks who doesn't die after 3 hits, and has amazing music.
Game Explain has all the boss fights on Youtube. Speaking of K. Rool, the developers really rubbed salt in the wound because the final boss fights almost exactly like him. Watching footage of it, all I could do is chuckle "oh god...really Nintendo" to myself because it's way more than a passing resemblance.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
This, all this. I'm tired of seeing people praise games for their story or atmosphere when their gameplay and actual design is sloppy or subpar. Sure they can add to a game, but IMO if a game's only defining element is its story it's not really an amazing game.
Personally, I have nothing against a game having a good story, in fact if it does, I'm glad about it. Thing is though, if a game isn't fun to play, I'm not going to give a **** about how "deep" it is. They can add all they want to a game, so long as the gameplay is good enough to stand on its own. But it does seem like many of them are switching the focus into story now.

The only thing at this point that can bring King K. Rool back in the spotlight is if he somehow finds a way to weasel into Mario Kart 8 the way Funky Kong did for Wii.

Yep it was Sluggers. That game was the baseball one. Where somehow a Goomba can use telekinetic powers to lift up a baseball bat. I never play those though. I have played the first Strikers game, the soccer series. I really liked it, though I found it challenging. Next Level games should make another one if they aren't busy.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Game Explain has all the boss fights on Youtube. Speaking of K. Rool, the developers really rubbed salt in the wound because the final boss fights almost exactly like him. Watching footage of it, all I could do is chuckle "oh god...really Nintendo" to myself because it's way more than a passing resemblance.
The 2nd one seemed to be from before the game's release, and a bit cut out. I'd wish there'd be someone who'd take it slow on the bosses so I could see all their attacks, and enjoy the music more. Thankfully, the Seal one has been uploaded and already have it DL'd.

I also did look at said final boss, and it was another disappointment to me, not as disappointing as the Tiki, but still.

Last edited:

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Personally, I have nothing against a game having a good story, in fact if it does, I'm glad about it. Thing is though, if a game isn't fun to play, I'm not going to give a **** about how "deep" it is. They can add all they want to a game, so long as the gameplay is good enough to stand on its own. But it does seem like many of them are switching the focus into story now.
Rayman Origins/Legends developers do say that the less story there is , the more fun it is .

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Just let new villians appear, makes the game distinguished from the original DKC games, it's not like if people will replace K. Rool with these vikings.
Pretty sure he'll make a great comeback in that new totally 3D donkey game they're planning to do.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Rayman Origins/Legends developers do say that the less story there is , the more fun it is .
Smash is one of the few games where I agree with this mentality, especially since using resources on story development just means there's less to go for other stuff.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Nintendo needs to become more like Sony in terms of their exclusives. They need to think out of their exclusively family friendly franchises as exclusives but keep most of their classics exactly like they are. But they need to start pumping out exclusive franchises that counter the more mature ones that Sony and Microsoft have.

They could turn Metroid into one of those franchises with relative ease. It's alright a lot edgier than the others amongst their major franchises.

They could keep Bayonetta in house as an exclusive..

They basically need Infamous, Uncharted, Last of Us type exclusive franchises to counter Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Nintendo needs to become more like Sony in terms of their exclusives. They need to think out of their exclusively family friendly franchises as exclusives but keep most of their classics exactly like they are. But they need to start pumping out exclusive franchises that counter the more mature ones that Sony and Microsoft have.

They could turn Metroid into one of those franchises with relative ease. It's alright a lot edgier than the others amongst their major franchises.

They basically need Infamous, Uncharted, Last of Us type exclusive franchises to counter Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc.
Eternal Darkness 2 and not that Shadow of the Eternals crap.
Zelda could also achieve that if they take another MM or TP route.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, it's just kind of insulting that you don't bring back a certain group of bad buys but still have the nerve to make a group of expies to add salt on the wounds. Which is really pointless in hindsight, because if you're going to make the same type of enemies to begin with, why bother making a new batch of them?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Make a MadWorld/Anarchy Reigns 3. Mach Rider reboot. Stop ignoring Star Fox. Release a few more Metroid and Fire Emblem games. Focus the Zelda series a little more on an Adult Link. Maybe introduce their own new action series. Work with Capcom again like before, but instead of Zelda, make some badass Megaman X games. Agreed with Bayonetta, only if Sega keeps refusing to fund them themselves.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Make a MadWorld/Anarchy Reigns 3. Mach Rider reboot. Stop ignoring Star Fox. Release a few more Metroid and Fire Emblem games. Focus the Zelda series a little more on an Adult Link. Maybe introduce their own new action series. Work with Capcom again like before, but instead of Zelda, make some badass Megaman X games. Agreed with Bayonetta, only if Sega keeps refusing to fund them themselves.
Fire Emblem seems to be doing alright release wise. I just wish we could see something of SMT X FE.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I think everyone expects Dixie over K. Rool, but still imo K. Rool has more potential to be a cooler character.
I don't understand why we can't have both. They both have the potential to be unique characters, and DK is a large franchise by itself.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't understand why we can't have both. They both have the potential to be unique characters, and DK is a large franchise by itself.
It is. But to be honest, we can't be entirely sure if that's going to happen. Personally, I would try and be positive about the situation. Kirby and Pokemon got two characters in Brawl, Mario and Zelda got three in Melee. So it's not too out there of an idea. Since most of those series have pretty much all of their important characters, Donkey Kong and Metroid seem likely to get some attention.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
It is. But to be honest, we can't be entirely sure if that's going to happen. Personally, I would try and be positive about the situation. Kirby and Pokemon got two characters in Brawl, Mario and Zelda got three in Melee. So it's not too out there of an idea. Since most of those series have pretty much all of their important characters, Donkey Kong and Metroid seem likely to get some attention.
Donkey Kong in general gets the shaft in my opinion. I mean Diddy should've been a Melee addition if you ask me, which worries me as far as what kind of need Sakurai thinks DK has as far as reps.

And Metroid... I'm honestly ready to be sad about Ridley yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom