• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'll probably will in the future, I'm just bogged down with some others.

Attack on Titan, SAO, some Soul Eater, and a lot of Ghibli (but I doubt that counts.)

I'm going to pick up Death Note and maybe Fairy Tale after AoT.
Death Note is very good. One of my favorites.

Fairy Tail isn't bad, but it's not great either. It's pretty much your typical shounen anime. I'm keeping with the manga and I like it. I've watched around 100 episodes of the anime too.

I also recommend Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood or the manga it's based from, just called Fullmetal Alchemist. There was also another FMA anime that shares the manga's title, but has a diverging story line, as it was produced when the manga was still in serialization. Brotherhood follows the entire manga and is the one I watched.

A very good series with a fantastic story and characters.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Jeez, Nintendo is apologizing like crazy about Tomadachi Life not including same-sex relationships. They posted the apology not only on their Facebook page but the official Nintendo website too.

Not a deal breaker for me but wow...

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Jeez, Nintendo is apologizing like crazy about Tomadachi Life not including same-sex relationships. They posted the apology not only on their Facebook page but the official Nintendo website too.

This is making a mountain out of a molehill at it's finest. It's a game about Miis for Heaven's sake! Why should it matter what they do or don't do?

Edit: Decided to do a bit of research to see what the hubbub is about.
Apparently in the Japanese version there's a glitch where one of the effects can allow a male-male relationship.
The issue is it causes problems down the line like:
Error messages.
Human relationships that become strange.
The inability to save.
And the inability to boot up the game.
So, it was patched. And we're in the mess we have now.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

It's more than I would do. I'd be like Kamiya and just tell them to "**** off". :laugh:

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'll admit that the systematic structure of the game is much different from others.
I prefer it over VII. Unpopular opinion, I know. I respect VII but greatly dislike it as well. I have many qualms with many fan favorite FF games like the PS series in general (except IX) and stuff like IV being far too open ended and misleading.
I wouldn't have minded the linearness if I hadn't been expecting it to not be linear.

It's pretty linear to a point. After a certain time, the game becomes very open.
Well it didn't happen soon enough.

It's turn based, unlike many other FF games, which is a little contested.
I thought most FFs were turn based? o.O

The Sphere Grid System is what I consider to be the second greatest battle system Square's ever done.
I really didn't find it that impressive.

As for the CGI, it was the first FF game on PS2. They went full ballistic with it, and I certainly enjoy it.
I don;t mind CGI as long as it still feels like I am playing a game and not watching a moive. FFX felt more like a moive rather then a game. If I want to watch a movie then I'll get a movie.

-The battle system trying something new
It didn't really seem that unique to me.

-Blitzball (being actually interesting and optional)
Didn;t get that far, I think I might have been close to it. I stopped playing the game after what felt like the millionth cut-scene. I think I was on a ship with Wakka, and other people I can't remember the name of, heading to some kind of BB tournament or something.

-It was also the last game Yoshinori directed. Everything after X that isn't A Realm Reborn isn't too good in the traditional series.
I, personally, don't believe in director loyalty. I only care about the game and how good I think it is. Whoever created it is rather irrelevant to me.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

Sad thing is, Nintendo never took out such a feature. They only fixed the glitches that occurred when it happened.
People are complaining about things that were never an issue. The situation was blown waaay out of proportion.

People just like to complain.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Apparently, not including homosexuality in games is a serious offense now. :rolleyes:

Those LGBT activists don't seem to understand that Nintendo is a Japanese company and in Japan, homosexuality is still a huge taboo. Japanese society is more traditional and conservative than Western society.

Besides, the same-sex relationship removal was due to bugs and was unintentional by the Japanese dev team in the first place. Given my point above, this likely went unnoticed by the Japanese.

If there's something I hate is:
1. People playing victim (Should I be offended that games don't feature handicapped people because I'm handicapped? That's some ****ing insane logic here.)
2. Ignorance (Well, see my second and third points above.)

Just my thoughts on this subject.

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to diss homosexuality or anything like that. People have the right to choose with whom they want to have a relationship and that should be respected. However, that doesn't mean they have to be playing the victim because not everything caters to them.

This sort of behavior is nothing but pitiful attention seeking.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Most people complaining about it are.... ok i can't continue what i'd say because i'd get in trouble. :laugh:

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I thought most FFs were turn based? o.O
After the first 3 they pretty much became all active time battle, like Chrono Trigger. Only X is one of the few games after IV that didn't do so.
The closest to get back to that was the CSB system in FFXIII

I don;t mind CGI as long as it still feels like I am playing a game and not watching a moive. FFX felt more like a moive rather then a game. If I want to watch a movie then I'll get a movie.
I'll admit that the CGI is a little long.

It didn't really seem that unique to me.
For it's time, it was a massive variation on the typical turn element.

Didn;t get that far, I think I might have been close to it. I stopped playing the game after what felt like the millionth cut-scene. I think I was on a ship with Wakka, and other people I can't remember the name of, heading to some kind of BB tournament or something.
That's the place where there's only one mandatory BB game. It's also after that point in which the game becomes less linear. At speed running that's about 6 hours in.

As for the Tomodachi stuff, see what Frosty said. Emulates my thoughts.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
9 more days until Wii and DS's online are shut down.
19 more days until Mario Kart 8.

Bitter-Sweet Succulent situation.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Apparently, not including homosexuality in games is a serious offense now. :rolleyes:

Those LGBT activists don't seem to understand that Nintendo is a Japanese company and in Japan, homosexuality is still a huge taboo. Japanese society is more traditional and conservative than Western society.

Besides, the same-sex relationship removal was due to bugs and was unintentional by the Japanese dev team in the first place. Given my point above, this likely went unnoticed by the Japanese.

If there's something I hate is:
1. People playing victim (Should I be offended that games don't feature handicapped people because I'm handicapped? That's some ****ing insane logic here.)
2. Ignorance (Well, see my second and third points above.)

Just my thoughts on this subject.

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to diss homosexuality or anything like that. People have the right to choose with whom they want to have a relationship and that should be respected. However, that doesn't mean they have to be playing the victim because not everything caters to them.

This sort of behavior is nothing but pitiful attention seeking.
I don't want to make a big thing out of this, but your opinion seems pretty extreme. It's honestly pretty disappointing that I can't have same-sex/gender relationships in Tomodachi Life. Sure, it's also extreme to say that Nintendo is anti-gay for making this omission, but I think that people have a right to complain.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't want to make a big thing out of this, but your opinion seems pretty extreme. It's honestly pretty disappointing that I can't have same-sex/gender relationships in Tomodachi Life. Sure, it's also extreme to say that Nintendo is anti-gay for making this omission, but I think that people have a right to complain.
To be fair, it's not like it would've done much if they did.
What everyone seems to conveniently forget is that this was a game-breaking glitch. This could kill save files, give error messages, and mess with the Miis' AI. And I don't know about you. But I don't think having Steve and Joe marry outweighs the chance of my save file corrupting.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
To be fair, it's not like it would've done much if they did.
What everyone seems to conveniently forget is that this was a game-breaking glitch. This could kill save files, give error messages, and mess with the Miis' AI. And I don't know about you. But I don't think having Steve and Joe marry outweighs the chance of my save file corrupting.
Wait, I thought the glitch was that two male Miis could get hitched in the first place? If it had been an intended feature, then there would have been no glitch.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Wait, I thought the glitch was that two male Miis could get hitched in the first place? If it had been an intended feature, then there would have been no glitch.
I doubt Nintendo would include a feature that's literally illegal in Japan. I can't state that enough. This game was made in Japan, for Japan, and THEN later translated to America. They're not going to make some exclusive feature as it'd be a hassle for Japanese audiences (as making an International Version ala FF would be impossible due to the inclusions of features)

I fully support LGBT rights, but I don't expect Nintendo to do that. It's not supposed to be social commentary.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Given the context of the removal, no, they don't.

The game didn't have that option in the first place. It was achieved through a bug that, among that effect, had other undesired results.

I doubt Nintendo would include a feature that's literally illegal in Japan.

I fully support LGBT rights, but I don't expect Nintendo to do that. It's not supposed to be social commentary.
^ Also, this.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Wait, I thought the glitch was that two male Miis could get hitched in the first place?
Yes, that's the glitch.
But the things I said were effects of said glitch.
If it had been an intended feature, then there would have been no glitch.
If anything, BigAxle said it right.
We have to take cultural boundaries in consideration.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
In my eyes, Nintendo has already acknowledged that the situation sucks and that they want to do better in the future, by apologizing.

I don't want to talk about this anymore, because it's honestly making me upset.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Were we talking about gay marriage being banned in Tomodachi Life because of a glitch?
Why were we talking about this?
Because someone brought the subject.

And you know how sensitive people get regarding certain things.

Anyway, it would be best if we moved on from this. I think there isn't much else to say about it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

From 5:03 to 5:14 was ironically my brother's response to everything he had witnessed in Miiverse. I've warned him that Miiverse was that bad, but he didn't listen and seen everything with his own eyes.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Were we talking about gay marriage being banned in Tomodachi Life because of a glitch?
Why were we talking about this?
That's kind why i brought up the 3DS-Wii online shutting down thing.
Gay marriage along with (religion and politics) are not issue I'm fond of talking about.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Because someone brought the subject.

And you know how sensitive people get regarding certain things.

Anyway, it would be best if we moved on from this. I think there isn't much else to say about it.
All I have to say one the matter is that nobody should be demonizing Nintendo for this.
And that people are sensitive.

I don't have anything else to talk about as of now.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So earlier today I was playing the original Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games on the wii, and apparently I suck at skeet and long jump, but I rock at hammer and javelin throwing.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I wouldn't mind if we went back to the anime subject from the last page. :p

Speaking of which, did you know that the word "anime" is used in Japan to refer to all animation, rather than just Japanese animation? The word itself comes from the term "animation", though some defend that it comes from the French word "animé", which means "animated".

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind if we went back to the anime subject from the last page. :p

Speaking of which, did you know that the word "anime" is used in Japan to refer to all animation, rather than just Japanese animation? The word itself comes from the term "animation", though some defend that it comes from the French word "animé", which means "animated".

I sure did know that. I've been wanting to say that myself but never quite did so. I use the phrase "Japanese Cartoons" often especially in real life conversation. It gets me alot of hate on the net. But... that's kind of what they are. They are cartoons, albeit ones from Japan that have lower frame counts, often deal with more mature (at least by North American standards) subject matter, and are of Japanese origin, but cartoons nonetheless.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well, since the topic is anime...
BRB gotta find somethin'.

Edit: Couldn't find it. Darn...

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Alot of you guys like Japanese anime alot, eh?
Well...i'm more of a American Cartoons kind of guy...
Don't worry dude. I enjoy some American cartoons myself.

Good old Classic Inspector Gadget. That show, classic as it is, seems criminally underrated to me. It's like everyone remembers the Transformers or Ninja Turtles or Voltron or He-man but Inspector Gadget always seems to be just sorta forgotten beyond it's audience. I just got Inspector Gadget on DVD via the Inspector Gadget Megaset. It is still a blast as an adult just as it was when I was a kid watching reruns in the early 90s.

Best part was the fact that Inspector Gadget, with all his mechanical powers, was a total bonehead. He'd always mistake Brain the Dog for a criminal and chase him all over. Brain trying to remove the bomb from the car and throw it in the garbage only for a dimwitted Gadget to come by and put it back in thinking he was trying to sabotage the car, causing the car to violently explode and send Gadget flying into the alleyway and into a pile of trashcans, which makes Gadget respond with

"WOWZERS! That sounds like a bad muffler."

He was such an imbecile and it was funny to watch.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Why yes I do, basically my second favorite 2012 manga from WSJ. The food looks great, the humor is great (Dem foodgasms), and the cooking is always badass.
Awww yeah, more Souma fans! I just love that it's able to juggle a good plot, character development and exciting tension with foodgasms, fanservice and humor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom