• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

@ Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth
Sorry, but no. Being able to be named anything doesn't mean jack when his official name is Red. But they didn't put anything besides his char model in Smash. The problem with everything beyond his specific physical design, literally everything is not specific to Red at all.
Accidentally skipped this one, though I think I've countered these in the later points.

That lineup is not one Red can have outside of G/S/C and Yellow. Four games unmentioned by the Trophy.
1st point is irrelevant and false.
False because.....it's entirely possible to have a Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard through trading and, if "Original Trainer" is so damn important, through breeding and keeping the hatchlings while trading back the parents.
You act as though the fact trading has to be involved means anything; it really doesn't.
Irrelevant because......a **** ton of examples where other characters don't match their "canon" counterparts. Best examples? Ness and Lucas.
They are using PSI powers they have no access to in-game. The explanation? "Paula/Poo/Kumatora taught them these moves". And somehow....Red isn't allowed to trade for the two starters he's missing? That makes no sense. Something made up entirely for Smash is perfectly acceptable, yet something with basis in regards to a big part of a franchise isn't?

Also, the fact the games aren't mentioned on Pokemon Trainer's trophy? Irrelevant. Brawl's got a lot of issues in regards to Trophies, anyway.
Brawl tells me I can catch Wobbuffet in Red/Blue and that Moltres can be caught in Gold/Silver and Crystal while it doesn't exist in Red/Blue and doesn't appear in FireRed/LeafGreen.

It doesn't really matter if you can change his name. Irrelevant. He's still Red in the games, now and forever. Smash didn't go with it, outright ignored his exploits in the Trophy, and the only way to get that lineup in FR/LG is through trading, which Brawl goes out of its way to ignore the existence of. It says they "catch and train their Pokemon" and has PT specifically do just that in the SSE as is.
He's only "Red" when he's an NPC. And since you're so adamant of keeping this before Brawl....
Literally, the only instance he was actually "Red" was in G/S/C. Yeah, there was the dummy data for FR/LG, but guess what? I'm going to go ahead and point out something that can actually kill that point on my first post on the matter; the rival's dummy data was labeled Terry. Not "Blue" or "Green", "Terry".
So yeah, if you hadn't grasped that at this point, he had no "defined" name outside his (then) one-time role as a NPC unlike other characters you can name like Ness or Link, don't know what to tell you.

Trading point is irrelevant. Especially since it doesn't say "catch and train", it says "raise and train". By your logic, it goes out of the way to ignore the existence of Trainers catching their Pokemon! "Raising" could mean any Pokemon, whether they were home-caught or transferred among friends.
And last I checked, there is no ****ing Trainer in existence that can catch an Ivysaur and Charizard in the wild. Only way that's close to possible is through X/Y's Friend Safari for Ivysaur, but wait, that involves other people just like trading....AND, it's long after Brawl. So what's your point here?

I really hope you don't think that Yoshi in Brawl is Mario's ol' pal.....because quite a few of these arguments you use legitimately cam apply to Yoshi.

He's comparable to Villager, yes. But Villager doesn't have a canon name either. They're both generic characters in the context of Smash and have move choices based around their games.
Oh, but see, here's the real kicker.
By your logic, Villager is a specific individual. After all, he is "Animal Crossing Boy" in Brawl, after all. And.....his description treats him as a specific individual....and.....marks him as a recurring character. In this case, he's not even City Folk's default male player from the boxart, it's all one guy. A guy that simply has no name. :troll:

"He's Red yet not Red" is meaningless. Outside of his physical appearance, where that makes sense... the name thing just doesn't work. You can't directly name PT by default. That's not part of his regular character options in Brawl.
It's meaningless only to those that are jaded.
He's "Red". He's "Yamaguchi". He's "Satoshi". Hell, he's "Ash", "Jack", "Jesus", whatever. He's whoever the player identifies him as. He's a representation of the player.
Red is merely one interpretation of who he is. But it isn't his definitive identity. This is why he's Red and he's not. However, there is one thing that is fact; he's not the player from Johto, Hoenn, or Sinnoh (or any after Brawl). He's the one from Kanto. If the specific label of FR/LG is to be used, it would be because of Rock Smash and Bullet Seed not existing in Gen I.

It's quite clear he's meant to show off what Training is all about, and it's quite implied to be "catching and training my own Pokemon".
No, the reality is that Pokemon Trainer is meant to represent a new gimmick Sakurai wanted to incorporate. Which is the battling aspect of Pokemon; the point that is emphasized throughout the Trophy.
Catching isn't even mentioned once there, nor is anything about "my own". Raising and training is only brought up in the very beginning, which quickly ties in to battling. Did you even read the Trophy?

It's a bit more comparable to Ash since he always kept his own Pokemon up to Gen III, never doing a permanent trade. The other is what I noted before; His lineup is near identical to Ash's Kanto Starter lineup. Almost there.
That said, I cannot legitimately see anything beyond their models being the same that connects them. Cause nothing really does beyond that. Also, all his dialogue is something every Trainer will say, so that's not relevant. And more than one Trainer could get that lineup too, meaning him being based upon Red is almost meaningless.
Can't really take this one seriously.

Weeeeell, I've said what I wanted to say on the subject. But I just wanna point out something.
In this case the burden of proof lies on you and not us. As you are the one claiming that Pokemon Trainer is Red. or rather is and isn't Red. While we are taking P Trainer for what he is called and is given as in the game. His design is obviously based on Red but aside from design everything else indicates he is suppose to be a generic P Trainer. So I repeat. The burden of proof lies on you in this instance.
You obviously do not understand burden of proof.
You are making the claim that he isn't Red. Burden of proof would then fall on you to back up said claim regardless of my proposition on a different way to think. And no, "taking P Trainer for what he is called and is given as in the game" isn't substantial evidence or even remotely close to "how it is".

You are exerting what my Critical Thinking textbook refers to as "appeal to ignorance" fallacy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But see, that's why I mess with Ridley supporters so much lol. The fact that people took the video as "hostile", the fact that people were "offended", it's crazy to me lol. We're talking about a VIDEO GAME character here, and people develop HATE over what I said about him.

Don't get me wrong, I DON'T want him in, but I don't feel nearly as strongly about this whole thing as some Ridley supporters do. If he did magically somehow get put in, I would think it's stupid, but I wouldn't complain, I wouldn't boycott the game. I would buy it, and play, as if he wasn't there.

The fanbase is just so passionate for him it's fun to get on their case about it and see how emotional they get. I'm not a troll by any means, but I admit that I love to mess with Ridley supporters lol.
I see what you mean...

Thinking back though... Perhaps its not you yourself that got people angry.

Perhaps its the fact that for a while, we had Ridley detractors running around here and other sites treating you like some Messiah for your video.

And thus overexposure and whatnot.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's fine if you don't like or do like Ridley in, but it's not cool to troll the people who have those opinions.

Last edited:

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
You know what commercials I miss?
I remember the hype, watching those before getting the Wii. Then you realized you could do the exact same thing by moving your wrist by an inch in any direction and the magic was lost.

Shroob

Sup?
Wondering if we get nothing tomorrow and nothing next week if March will be the first month post-Olimar were we've gotten no new characters.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Today's pic of the day brings a whole new meaning to busting a...

Nah, too easy.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I wish people had more variety in their ghost characters. I see a lot of Rosalina everywhere and few others.
Oh dear god when Ridley is revealed.

Anyway, continuing on the topic of premium, it's not that I don't have the money, (I have more than enough actually). Really, I just have have no method of paying it. Unless throwing money at the screen becomes an actual way to pay for things. :/

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But in the case of Impa, please continue!
You want me to continue to say Impa has no chance? :troll:

No, but seriously, if you actually enjoy our jokes about Impa, fair enough. I mean, I don't like doing that to people at all. Albeit, yes, some don't mind silly jokes like you seem to do. But in your case, you actually are having fun with it and not taking it seriously or reacting badly. You don't cause drama when somebody makes a silly joke about Impa's chances or trolls you on it. Which is cool. I wish more people had fun with it like you do.

Unfortunately, Ridley fans/haters... are not always like that. :urg:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh I have no trouble with it. I hate all these sensitivities to. Being judged for stupid things as character choices for Smash is a part of the way of thinking that puts our minds backwards in evolution. I have no problem with anyone saying Impa is stupid, a bad choice, ugly as sin, or whatever. All I wanna say is, she's a better choice to me than Sheik.

Ridley in Smash is just a topic that has long passed it's meaning. Either Sakurai will give voice to his demand now, or he won't ever do it at all. It's really simple. And personally, am vieiwing Ridley as a character that will never happen. Much like Toad. Skull Kid and Waluigi to. Not to say they are bad choices, but they will simply just... Not happen.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Oh I have no trouble with it. I hate all these sensitivities to. Being judged for stupid things as character choices for Smash is a part of the way of thinking that puts our minds backwards in evolution. I have no problem with anyone saying Impa is stupid, a bad choice, ugly as sin, or whatever. All I wanna say is, she's a better choice to me than Sheik.

Ridley in Smash is just a topic that has long passed it's meaning. Either Sakurai will give voice to his demand now, or he won't ever do it at all. It's really simple. And personally, am vieiwing Ridley as a character that will never happen. Much like Toad. Skull Kid and Waluigi to. Not to say they are bad choices, but they will simply just... Not happen.
Good...I respect your opinion.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Hey guys. The popguns explode.

I totally ****ing called it, by the way.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So here's this remix of "Challengers" from Dragon Ball Z Budokai. It was done in the SNES Megaman X style. Honestly, it's too awesome for words.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You watched that video.....and got "sexist!" from that? And I'M the bigot? xD
I guess your aren't familiar with the term "Too Bigot", Shoks. It's basically what the Ridley supporters dub anyone anti-Ridley. Other than that, I'm so sorry for missintepreting interpreting your rather satirical videos that aren't meant to be serious. No hard feelings, OK. :)

Now guys, I've found new new disturbing Nintendo pairing: Dedede x Daranza. :troll:

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Wait, why is Shokio here?
Eh, never mind.

...Go on...
Shokio is confusing me too...

As for my roster...

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr..
Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong.
Link, Toon Link, Zelda/Sheik, Toon Zelda/Tetra, Ganondorf.
Samus/Zero Suit Samus, Ridley.
Yoshi.
Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede.
Fox, Falco, Wolf.
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokémon Trainer (Charizard,Squirtle,Ivysaur), Mewtwo, Lucario.
Captain Falcon.
Ness, Lucas.
Ice Climbers.
Marth, Ike.
Mr. Game & Watch.
Pit, Palutena.
Wario.
Olimar.
R.O.B..
Snake.
Sonic.
Villager.
Balloon Fighter.
Little Mac.
Megaman.

With the 4 Melee clones as DLC.

I just realized I could've said "Brawl cast+Mewtwo" instead of doing it this way.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Shokio is confusing me too...

As for my roster...

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr..
Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong.
Link, Toon Link, Zelda/Sheik, Toon Zelda/Tetra, Ganondorf.
Samus/Zero Suit Samus, Ridley.
Yoshi.
Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede.
Fox, Falco, Wolf.
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokémon Trainer (Charizard,Squirtle,Ivysaur), Mewtwo, Lucario.
Captain Falcon.
Ness, Lucas.
Ice Climbers.
Marth, Ike.
Mr. Game & Watch.
Pit, Palutena.
Wario.
Olimar.
R.O.B..
Snake.
Sonic.
Villager.
Balloon Fighter.
Little Mac.
Megaman.

I just realized I could've said "Brawl cast+Mewtwo" instead of doing it this way.
Not bad.
9/10 would read again.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm so glad I don't stay up for the Pics of the day anymore. I'm pretty confident we'll get another character reveal this month, but I'm still holding out hope for two... as unlikely as that seems.

I had a dream last night that K. Rool and Ridley were revealed for Smash.... as a team of super large and slow Ice Climber clones. I was surprisingly okay with this in the dream.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Just heard my name mentioned lol. Had to pop up for a second. But I'm actually on here often, I just don't post much, for reasons such as the accusations you've just witnessed. I'm quite hated here lol.
Don't worry. I didn't just insult you when I called you an idiot. I also insulted the whole entire world population, myself included. :L

I'm not even sure who you are. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom