• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Emoticons we still need:

Pokemon- beedrill

Smash 4 is obvious

Then we need an objection emote, one that's just the word in the text.

Because it's really freaking fun to use.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Hey dudes and dudettes.. How does one become a back roomer?
Become the very best, that no one ever was. To Smash them is our real test, and the training is our cause. We travel all across the land, searching for tournaments. Each Smasher to understand, the power that's inside. Backroom! It's you and me! I know it's our destiny! Backroom! Oh, you're my best friend, in Ridley we must defend! Backroom! Our hearts so true! Our courage will pull us through! You Smash me and I'll Smash you! SmashBoards Backroom! Gotta Smash them! Gotta Smash them all! SmashBoards Backroom!

And that is how you become a back roomer.:awesome:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Become the very best, that no one ever was. To Smash them is our real test, and the training is our cause. We travel all across the land, searching for tournaments. Each Smasher to understand, the power that's inside. Backroom! It's you and me! I know it's our destiny! Backroom! Oh, you're my best friend, in Ridley we must defend! Backroom! Our hearts so true! Our courage will pull us through! You Smash me and I'll Smash you! SmashBoards Backroom! Gotta Smash them! Gotta Smash them all! SmashBoards Backroom!

And that is how you become a back roomer.:awesome:
So, the Backroom is like a Pokemon huh?

D

Deleted member

Sorry, but no. Being able to be named anything doesn't mean jack when his official name is Red. But they didn't put anything besides his char model in Smash. The problem with everything beyond his specific physical design, literally everything is not specific to Red at all. That lineup is not one Red can have outside of G/S/C and Yellow. Four games unmentioned by the Trophy. It doesn't really matter if you can change his name. Irrelevant. He's still Red in the games, now and forever. Smash didn't go with it, outright ignored his exploits in the Trophy, and the only way to get that lineup in FR/LG is through trading, which Brawl goes out of its way to ignore the existence of. It says they "catch and train their Pokemon" and has PT specifically do just that in the SSE as is.

He's comparable to Villager, yes. But Villager doesn't have a canon name either. They're both generic characters in the context of Smash and have move choices based around their games.

"He's Red yet not Red" is meaningless. Outside of his physical appearance, where that makes sense... the name thing just doesn't work. You can't directly name PT by default. That's not part of his regular character options in Brawl. It's quite clear he's meant to show off what Training is all about, and it's quite implied to be "catching and training my own Pokemon". It's a bit more comparable to Ash since he always kept his own Pokemon up to Gen III, never doing a permanent trade. The other is what I noted before; His lineup is near identical to Ash's Kanto Starter lineup. Almost there.

That said, I cannot legitimately see anything beyond their models being the same that connects them. Cause nothing really does beyond that. Also, all his dialogue is something every Trainer will say, so that's not relevant. And more than one Trainer could get that lineup too, meaning him being based upon Red is almost meaningless.
Yeah....no. Try again.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Sorry, but no. Being able to be named anything doesn't mean jack when his official name is Red. But they didn't put anything besides his char model in Smash. The problem with everything beyond his specific physical design, literally everything is not specific to Red at all. That lineup is not one Red can have outside of G/S/C and Yellow. Four games unmentioned by the Trophy. It doesn't really matter if you can change his name. Irrelevant. He's still Red in the games, now and forever. Smash didn't go with it, outright ignored his exploits in the Trophy, and the only way to get that lineup in FR/LG is through trading, which Brawl goes out of its way to ignore the existence of. It says they "catch and train their Pokemon" and has PT specifically do just that in the SSE as is.

He's comparable to Villager, yes. But Villager doesn't have a canon name either. They're both generic characters in the context of Smash and have move choices based around their games.

"He's Red yet not Red" is meaningless. Outside of his physical appearance, where that makes sense... the name thing just doesn't work. You can't directly name PT by default. That's not part of his regular character options in Brawl. It's quite clear he's meant to show off what Training is all about, and it's quite implied to be "catching and training my own Pokemon". It's a bit more comparable to Ash since he always kept his own Pokemon up to Gen III, never doing a permanent trade. The other is what I noted before; His lineup is near identical to Ash's Kanto Starter lineup. Almost there.

That said, I cannot legitimately see anything beyond their models being the same that connects them. Cause nothing really does beyond that. Also, all his dialogue is something every Trainer will say, so that's not relevant. And more than one Trainer could get that lineup too, meaning him being based upon Red is almost meaningless.
I don't know why this discussion is even happening. Clearly, his true name is "Genwunner Jack"

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah....no. Try again.
So you have no way to prove my claims wrong? Guess I won that, then. Too bad, because you clearly can make and refute points and can take the time to do so, instead of ignoring everything I said and dismissing it. You're way better than that. Or at least I seriously hope you are. Don't troll people by pretending what they said is irrelevant.

I will say that making any claim games that are out after Brawl matter is ludicrous though. HG/SS/B2/W2 have no bearing on Brawl and can't. Use actual games he could've come from as a point. Hell, even other materials before Brawl. Maybe he had a near identical team in the Manga? That's even believable as a point. You have a lot of ways to "prove" he's Red, but he can't actually be Red yet not be Red. He either is or he isn't. Choose one and stick with it.

I don't know why this discussion is even happening. Clearly, his true name is "Genwunner Jack"

Still more accurate. :smirk:

D

Deleted member

So you have no way to prove my claims wrong? Guess I won that, then. Too bad, because you clearly can make and refute points and can take the time to do so, instead of ignoring everything I said and dismissing it. You're way better than that. Or at least I seriously hope you are. Don't troll people by pretending what they said is irrelevant.

I will say that making any claim games that are out after Brawl matter is ludicrous though. HG/SS/B2/W2 have no bearing on Brawl and can't. Use actual games he could've come from as a point. Hell, even other materials before Brawl. Maybe he had a near identical team in the Manga? That's even believable as a point. You have a lot of ways to "prove" he's Red, but he can't actually be Red yet not be Red. He either is or he isn't. Choose one and stick with it.
You didn't "win" anything.
Given how you are on this issue (Hell, even your damn signature), you wouldn't take even a statement from Sakurai himself that PT is Red and instead find excuses why Sakurai's full of ****.
And aside from that, something not being proven wrong =/= proven true. Even if I didn't have counters for your points on the backburner, you would still need to actually prove those points are true to have any claim on validity.

It's essentially another Diddy/Impa.

Last edited by a moderator:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You didn't "win" anything.
Given how you are on this issue (Hell, even your damn signature), you wouldn't take even a statement from Sakurai himself that PT is Red and instead find excuses why Sakurai's full of ****.
And aside from that, something not being proven wrong =/= proven true. Even if I didn't have counters for your points on the backburner, you would still need to actually prove those points are true to have any claim on validity.
Weeeeell, I've said what I wanted to say on the subject. But I just wanna point out something.

In this case the burden of proof lies on you and not us. As you are the one claiming that Pokemon Trainer is Red. or rather is and isn't Red. While we are taking P Trainer for what he is called and is given as in the game. His design is obviously based on Red but aside from design everything else indicates he is suppose to be a generic P Trainer. So I repeat. The burden of proof lies on you in this instance.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
What the hell is with the ghosts on premium member's posts?

I saw part of one on someone's post and I first thought my computer monitor was glitchy.

What purpose does it serve? Is it like a joke occasion?

-----

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What the hell is with the ghosts on premium member's posts?

I saw part of one on someone's post and I first thought my computer monitor was glitchy.

What purpose does it serve? Is it like a joke occasion?

-----
New premium feature. I think it's just to show off since you paid money for it.

Zynux

Smash Lord
New premium feature. I think it's just to show off since you paid money for it.
I'll be honest, I already find them to be kind of obnoxious (-Shots Fired!-) but at the same time it's still pretty neat too.

Shokio is not a sexist or a bigot lol i know him. He only says the truth.
Shokio is definitely not a sexist, anyone who says this missed the entire point of his Girl Gamers video. The video is absolutely terrible, yes (trying to define what makes a gamer or not is only something imbeciles do) and in general he was being a huge asshole about the whole issue (his only valid point is the unfortunate truth of how many female gamer personalities on Youtube and Twitch can be huge attention whores and exploit the mostly male demographic, but again, he came across the whole issue as a humongous douchebag so the video still isn't credible), but even still, despite how horrible that video is, he's not a sexist by any means.

And his stance on Ridley (mainly, his illogical arguments) are just beyond moronic.

Last edited:

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
The age old "is Pokemon trainer Red, the unnamed playable character in Fire Red, or just a representative of every pokemon trainer" argument is really just up to interpretation and very semantic. I you want to believe he's Red, fine, if you want to believe one of the other options, also fine. There isn't concrete evidence to support either, that's why the argument has been around so long.

I will say this though, saying Pokémon trainer isn't Red because he has the wrong Pokemon load out makes no sense to me. Even ignoring the fact that you can end up with all three starters through trading, and the fact that the player can get them all in yellow, and that you can get them all through glitches, and the fact that he somehow obtains all three by Gold/Silver, AND the fact that even though in gameplay for multiplayer reasons you can't find the starters anywhere there's nothing lore wise in any game that says Red can't catch all 3 Pokemon in the same sense that it should be possible for Red to hop over a fence even though the player can't...

Even ignoring all that, let's say Sakurai considers him to be Red. Better yet, let's assume Sakurai decided to unambiguously make him Red. He's named Red, his trophy talks about Red specifically as a character, ect.. Do you honestly think Sakurai would give a damn about which Pokémon Red can and can't collect in Fire Red? Need I bring up the fact that in Earthbound it's impossible for Ness or Lucas to learn PK fire, PK thunder, or PK Starstorm? Or that Captain Falcon grew super powers out of nowhere? Or that it's impossible as hell for Megaman to have Super Arm, Metal Blade, Flame Sword, Slash Claw, ect. at one time. Or that Adult OoT Link can't use a boomerang, and Young Link never has a bow and a boomerang at the same time. Or that Lucario can't have any of the many pokemon abilities that make you stronger as you get damaged. Or that Pit can't hold Palutina's Bow, the Uperdash Arm and the Guardian Orbitals at the same time? That Mario can't have a Fire flower and the Cape at the same time?

I just don't see how what pokemon the Pokémon Trainer has is at all relevant to whether or not he's Red. It's only relevant under the assumption that Smash Bros. stays more true to the source games than it actually does.

Edit: Holy crap that post ended up longer than I meant it to.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The age old "is Pokemon trainer Red, the unnamed playable character in Fire Red, or just a representative of every pokemon trainer" argument is really just up to interpretation and very semantic. I you want to believe he's Red, fine, if you want to believe one of the other options, also fine. There isn't concrete evidence to support either, that's why the argument has been around so long.

I will say this though, saying Pokémon trainer isn't Red because he has the wrong Pokemon load out makes no sense to me. Even ignoring the fact that you can end up with all three starters through trading, and the fact that the player can get them all in yellow, and that you can get them all through glitches, and the fact that he somehow obtains all three by Gold/Silver, AND the fact that even though in gameplay for multiplayer reasons you can't find the starters anywhere there's nothing lore wise in any game that says Red can't catch all 3 Pokemon in the same sense that it should be possible for Red to hop over a fence even though the player can't...

Even ignoring all that, let's say Sakurai considers him to be Red. Better yet, let's assume Sakurai decided to unambiguously make him Red. He's named Red, his trophy talks about Red specifically as a character, ect.. Do you honestly think Sakurai would give a damn about which Pokémon Red can and can't collect in Fire Red? Need I bring up the fact that in Earthbound it's impossible for Ness or Lucas to learn PK fire, PK thunder, or PK Starstorm? Or that Captain Falcon grew super powers out of nowhere? Or that it's impossible as hell for Megaman to have Super Arm, Metal Blade, Flame Sword, Slash Claw, ect. at one time. Or that Adult OoT Link can't use a boomerang, and Young Link never has a bow and a boomerang at the same time. Or that Lucario can't have any of the many pokemon abilities that make you stronger as you get damaged. Or that Pit can't hold Palutina's Bow, the Uperdash Arm and the Guardian Orbitals at the same time? That Mario can't have a Fire flower and the Cape at the same time?

I just don't see how what pokemon the Pokémon Trainer has is at all relevant to whether or not he's Red. It's only relevant under the assumption that Smash Bros. stays more true to the source games than it actually does.

Edit: Holy crap that post ended up longer than I meant it to.
You're actually the first person to ever bring up a good point about the exact Pokemon choices not being that relevant. Thank you.

That's also why I think if they changed his choices or his physical design, it wouldn't much matter. He'd still be Pokemon Trainer in the end. Concept is still there, after all. Now, changing who he has wouldn't matter towards the "concept" of training multiple Pokemon at once, but it would probably piss off fans if Charizard left. Ivysaur and Squirtle would get less hate. Changing his physical appearance would do little as is. In fact, he could get just get costumes of more than one Trainer, a total of 6, based upon a Male/Female protagonist of each Generation. Every Generation you could somehow get Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard anyway. Sure, through trading, but still doable. Which is why I don't think what design he has is relevant to the point of his character. I agree with Sakurai using the first Kanto Playable Character design respectively, though. If he had to choose one total.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
My main problem was that everyone who didn't agree/share the view fell into 3 categories:
1 - Thirsty
2 - Slutty
3 - "Real ***** chick"

Yeeeeeeeeeeah, I am not/would rather not be considered any of those.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just heard my name mentioned lol. Had to pop up for a second. But I'm actually on here often, I just don't post much, for reasons such as the accusations you've just witnessed. I'm quite hated here lol.
It's mainly the Ridley video, which admittedly has very questionable logic.

But hey, you got some people defending you. :p

Last edited:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
It's mainly the Ridley video, which admittedly has very questionable logic.

But hey, you got some people defending you. :p
The reasonings in that video ARE funny though, that was intentional lol. I felt that the reasons why he shouldn't be in are so obvious that I didn't have to sit there and give in-depth researched reasons why. If anyone's seen some of my follow-up videos, they would see that I list completely different reasons.

Buuuuut, it seems like people can't take a light-hearted video. Don't get me wrong, I meant my points entirely, but the presentation of the video wasn't serious at all. I was having fun. I could've just said that Ridley is 18ft+ in 99% of the Metroid games, but that would've been a 5 second video lol.

kwfang

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
Just heard my name mentioned lol. Had to pop up for a second. But I'm actually on here often, I just don't post much, for reasons such as the accusations you've just witnessed. I'm quite hated here lol.
Shokio is a major scrub that would lose to Ridley if he was in the game thats why he doesnt want him in.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If that intentionally was a joke video, then evidently the intent was lost, and not just on those who disliked it. It's commonly referred back to (or at least its reasons are) for anti-supporters of the character, and you did say for them to use that "joke" video as proof. So despite blaming others for taking it too seriously, you still have a part in misrepresenting yourself via that video.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The reasonings in that video ARE funny though, that was intentional lol. .
"Big as ****" is quite mematic.

Heck, someone made a remix of it somewhere around here. XD

Still, it did come off as hostile to many users here.

I felt that the reasons why he shouldn't be in are so obvious that I didn't have to sit there and give in-depth researched reasons why. If anyone's seen some of my follow-up videos, they would see that I list completely different reasons.
I've seen your videos and watch a lot of them regularly. Still, I feel many of your reasons are iffy and a bit subjective.

Buuuuut, it seems like people can't take a light-hearted video.
Now Shok, I don't mean anything by this, but I wouldn't call that lighthearted at all.

I could've just said that Ridley is 18ft+ in 99% of the Metroid games, but that would've been a 5 second video lol.
Hmm....

:troll:

@Oasis_S

Come here for a sec.

Tell him the exact height Ridley's been for every Metroid game. :troll:

I'm kinda curious here, and I'm not trying to be confrontational, but if Ridley did make it in as a playable character and he worked, what would you think?

Last edited:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
If that intentionally was a joke video, then evidently the intent was lost, and not just on those who disliked it. It's commonly referred back to (or at least its reasons are) for anti-supporters of the character, and you did say for them to use that "joke" video as proof. So despite blaming others for taking it too seriously, you still have a part in misrepresenting yourself via that video.
^Legit reply.

Still, it did come off as hostile to many users here.
But see, that's why I mess with Ridley supporters so much lol. The fact that people took the video as "hostile", the fact that people were "offended", it's crazy to me lol. We're talking about a VIDEO GAME character here, and people develop HATE over what I said about him.

Don't get me wrong, I DON'T want him in, but I don't feel nearly as strongly about this whole thing as some Ridley supporters do. If he did magically somehow get put in, I would think it's stupid, but I wouldn't complain, I wouldn't boycott the game. I would buy it, and play, as if he wasn't there.

The fanbase is just so passionate for him it's fun to get on their case about it and see how emotional they get. I'm not a troll by any means, but I admit that I love to mess with Ridley supporters lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom