• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
gUYS please look at my posts they are now Little Mac certified

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Pokemon Trainer will always be Red until it is proven otherwise by another region trainer.
This is a fact and you will be wrong no matter what.

----
No it isn't. He is Pokemon Trainer in Brawl. He is nameless. His design is clearly based on Red but he isn't Red, otherwise he would be called Red.

Until it is proven he is Red and isn't just nameless I'd say you would be wrong. Burden of proof lies on you in this case and unless you can prove otherwise that Pokemon Trainer is without a doubt Red and not just based on him, it ain't fact.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No it isn't. He is Pokemon Trainer in Brawl. He is nameless. His design is clearly based on Red but he isn't Red, otherwise he would be called Red.

Until it is proven he is Red and isn't just nameless I'd say you would be wrong. Burden of proof lies on you in this case and unless you can prove otherwise that Pokemon Trainer is without a doubt Red and not just based on him, it ain't fact.
In order to be Red in the games, especially the FR/LG version, he'd have to be able to trade for each starter. Brawl very much implies he caught them all. In both the SSE and the entire lack of "trading" mentioned in his main trophy. It only says he catches and trains Pokemon, and talks nothing about his exploits as well as an actual character.

They only gave him the design because he's the first playable protagonist available, so his design is the most well known. Likewise, they had to put FireRed/LeafGreen on the Trophy only because it used that specific design. He has nothing in common with that version of Red, and at best, only the Pokemon Yellow version. He ain't any specific character.

This guy has it right, Pokemon Trainer is purposely generic. Why? Probably because he's supposed to embody the spirit of training as a whole, which he does very well. It's why he has things like forced switch and stamina. It's all about showing off each Pokemon he caught separately. You can't even find Red with this kind of team, just a near identical one from Ash alone, oddly enough.(only difference is Ivysaur, and even then, Bulbasaur almost evolved, unlike Squirtle, so it's somewhat close to his team, far closer than Red ever had). That said, yeah, he's a fun generic Trainer. They can update him and no value would be lost. Updating his Pokemon does actually take out a character, so I can understand some not preferring that. But not the Trainer himself. He's just a guy. Give him the generic Team Rocket uniform while keeping the dialogue and he's the exact same thing in Brawl alone, just with a different model. That's how specific he is(as in not at all).

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
What's this about character whatevers (Mac, the above Rosalina)? I didn't see anything.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Volunteer at a local food bank if basic luxuries are that much of a problem for you. Then be thankful that all you're missing are some backdrop characters.
"But wait!" I say.

What if I'm under-qualified. Or too young to have a job?
What will I do then?!

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Hope I did it right. Should have Villager as my backdrop character.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I see nothing at the moment, alas. Maybe it takes a bit to kick in or something.
Well, my personal details say my Smash 4 main is Villager, so I'd assume so. Someone tell me if it shows up; I'm on my WiiU.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
This is a pretty groovy new feature but I'm going to wait until the full cast is revealed before settling on one. When the time finally comes, this is going to be a great way to identify mods of certain boards and top players of certain characters.
Only if that top player is premium, or I guess a staff.

Unless I'm missing something here. :dizzy:

As it was said earlier that it is a premium only thing, or at least implied.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
This is a pretty groovy new feature but I'm going to wait until the full cast is revealed before settling on one. When the time finally comes, this is going to be a great way to identify mods of certain boards and top players of certain characters.
If my main changes as characters are revealed, I'll just change it in my Personal Details. :chuckle:

I honestly just wanna try it out.

D

Deleted member

How about we come to an agreement that "Pokémon Trainer" is Red and he isn't at the same time?

Going literally by FR/LG, the player character has no "real" name. Unlike cases like Link, Ness, etc., there was no defined name for the Player from Kanto. It's more or less like Villager in that regard.
"Red" is just one of many names you can choose from in (obviously) Pokémon Red, Pokémon FireRed, and Pokémon LeafGreen. In Pokémon Blue, Pokémon Green, and Pokémon Yellow, this option is replaced by the respective colors.
Hell, this option is present for both the male and female Players in FR/LG.

However, it is still a fact that the character has been established as "Red" in NPC appearances; G/S/C, HG/SS, and B2/W2. It also is worth noting that within dummy data for FR/LG, the male player is known as "Red" while the female player is known as "Leaf" (in fact, this is where the common name for her in the fandom comes from). In other media such as various manga and Origins, the character is also given the "Red" moniker, further establishing the correlation.

Though it isn't the first "name" he was given.
Prior to G/S/C, the Kanto player was referred to in outside media by GameFreak as "Satoshi", the 2nd name you could choose from in Pokémon Red after "Red", named after Satoshi Tajiri and is the native Japanese name for Ash Ketchum. Sakurai even uses this name to refer to him on his pre-Melee poll.

In the original Pocket Monster Red and Pocket Monster Green, the unused default name for him was "Yamaguchi". In Pocket Monster Blue, it was "Geifuri", an abbreviation of "Game Freak", and in Pocket Monster Yellow, it was "Geifuri 1". In Red/Blue/Yellow in America, his unused default name was "Ninten" (while the rival's was "Sony", going off the current console war at the time).

So yes, "Pokémon Trainer" is Red. He also isn't.
He's not defined by the NPC Red in Johto or Unova. He has a Squirtle and Ivysaur as opposed to their fully evolved forms.
He's defined by the Player in Kanto, who could have any set of Pokémon available to him within his player roles. Sakurai chose the iconic Kanto starter trio, but with different evolutionary levels for gameplay balance purposes. And since as a player, he does not have a defined name, his name is simply "Pokémon Trainer". Just like Villager.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I want my Wii Fit Trainer background (she and I need to whip some of you scalawags into shape).

Maybe if I land this job soon I'll consider it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sorry, but no. Being able to be named anything doesn't mean jack when his official name is Red. But they didn't put anything besides his char model in Smash. The problem with everything beyond his specific physical design, literally everything is not specific to Red at all. That lineup is not one Red can have outside of G/S/C and Yellow. Four games unmentioned by the Trophy. It doesn't really matter if you can change his name. Irrelevant. He's still Red in the games, now and forever. Smash didn't go with it, outright ignored his exploits in the Trophy, and the only way to get that lineup in FR/LG is through trading, which Brawl goes out of its way to ignore the existence of. It says they "catch and train their Pokemon" and has PT specifically do just that in the SSE as is.

He's comparable to Villager, yes. But Villager doesn't have a canon name either. They're both generic characters in the context of Smash and have move choices based around their games.

"He's Red yet not Red" is meaningless. Outside of his physical appearance, where that makes sense... the name thing just doesn't work. You can't directly name PT by default. That's not part of his regular character options in Brawl. It's quite clear he's meant to show off what Training is all about, and it's quite implied to be "catching and training my own Pokemon". It's a bit more comparable to Ash since he always kept his own Pokemon up to Gen III, never doing a permanent trade. The other is what I noted before; His lineup is near identical to Ash's Kanto Starter lineup. Almost there.

That said, I cannot legitimately see anything beyond their models being the same that connects them. Cause nothing really does beyond that. Also, all his dialogue is something every Trainer will say, so that's not relevant. And more than one Trainer could get that lineup too, meaning him being based upon Red is almost meaningless.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Now every time I post, you will all see his cold, murderous eyes. Always watching. Scheming. Plotting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom