• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Home of one of film's catchiest lines ever methinks.

View attachment 10463
Look I'm sorry, but that movie didn't need to exist.
They just took one joke and prayed it would last an hour.
And they say pigs fly as well...

I think shipping is stupid. It's just that.

Never witnessed any, but the very idea of flame wars due to discussions on whether character X loves Y or loves Z often accompanied with absurd (mis)interpretations of the stories and the characters is just astounding to me.
I dunno.
It could just be me. But it's hysterical watching the sparks fly.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I think shipping is stupid. It's just that.

Never witnessed any, but the very idea of flame wars due to discussions on whether character X loves Y or loves Z often accompanied with absurd (mis)interpretations of the stories and the characters is just astounding to me.
I've actually never seen any either. I'm beginning to think they're a fantasy conjured up by the opponents of shipping.
As for the dubious interpretations, are we not allowed to have fun with another's creative work?
I say it is criminal to not allow another's work to be expanded upon in whatever way one wishes, it is ridiculous to suppose that one should 'own' an idea, or a word, or the use of a word, for man rightly owns all thoughts that are actuated within himself, being a product of his faculties so innate and close to his being! Then we should suppose that stimuli that prompt the response of creation be owned, and that any who look on the stimulus for thought be vandals?! Preposterous!
I say down with intellectual property, boo copyrights! Boo, I say, ye patents, being nothing more than government-enforced monopoly of an intangible thing!

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I've actually never seen any either. I'm beginning to think they're a fantasy conjured up by the opponents of shipping.
As for the dubious interpretations, are we not allowed to have fun with another's creative work?
I say it is criminal to not allow another's work to be expanded upon in whatever way one wishes, it is ridiculous to suppose that one should 'own' an idea, or a word, or the use of a word, for man rightly owns all thoughts that are actuated within himself, being a product of his faculties so innate and close to his being! Then we should suppose that stimuli that prompt the response of creation be owned, and that any who look on the stimulus for thought be vandals?! Preposterous!
I say down with intellectual property, boo copyrights! Boo, I say, ye patents, being nothing more than government-enforced monopoly of an intangible thing!
Wow. Way to completely miss my point. Astounding.

I like the idea most stories can have multiple interpretations. That's what makes discussion interesting, but come on, when you have flame wars about who loves who and start twisting the story just so you can try to justify why a character loves another even though it's completely irrelevant to the story, it's stupid and pointless. That's the point I'm making.

Agree or disagree, I don't care which one you do. I'm just saying that shipping is stupid. Just my opinion.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I like the idea most stories can have multiple interpretations. That's what makes discussion interesting, but come on, when you have flame wars about who loves who and start twisting the story just so you can try to justify why a character loves another even though it's completely irrelevant to the story, it's stupid and pointless. That's the point I'm making.

Agree or disagree, I don't care which one you do. I'm just saying that shipping is stupid. Just my opinion.
That's not exclusive to shipping though, people will change the storyline as long as they don't care for what happened in it. For instance, there are some fans that refuse to believe Aeris died in FF7 and rewrote the scene on their terms, so it can happen regardless of the circumstance.

Personally, as long as people don't get obsessive about their ships I don't mind it, but like with every other facet of a fandom there are always the crazies that ruin it for everyone else.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Since Yoshi's wasn't revealed when we thought he'd be, it seems like the next few reveals will be random vets. I bet we'll see Ness, Captain Falcon and Ice Climbers pretty soon.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard

If, by 'missing the point', you mean making light of the situation by portraying it in a positive light, then yes, I did miss your point!
But I am being completely honest when I mean that such flame wars are exceedingly rare in my experience, and even if they are truly not, people get mad over stupid things all the time, but I don't think you'd be justified to extend your hatred from their actions to the relatively benign source.
It seems you might have some vendetta against stupid things people do? Well, you're going to have to deal with it your whole life long, with stupid people that is. Learn to be annoyed, and since the principle of fanfiction is an objectively morally neutral thing, I can't say hate the principle, not the person. There's no reason to 'hate' it at all, or dislike it beyond a matter of taste.
And that's what it is, taste, but I can't see it going beyond that. I will respect your right to your taste, though that will not stop me from criticizing the taste where I see fit, sir!

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I'll admit that I've dabbled in fanfiction, though it's never seen the light of day because they're just little one-shot things.

I am thinking about writing a story with characters and locations that I created, though. It may or may not see the light of day, depending on certain factors.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'll admit that I've dabbled in fanfiction, though it's never seen the light of day because they're just little one-shot things.

I am thinking about writing a story with characters and locations that I created, though. It may or may not see the light of day, depending on certain factors.
I once made a really bad fanfic that thankfully never came to be.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I once made a really bad fanfic that thankfully never came to be.
When I first started, I went through that horrible phase of self-inserts that make no sense, the exception being one I did of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, since that made sense.

Then I was like "Yeah, I should stop doing that..." and I actually made characters for stories that weren't me.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
When I first started, I went through that horrible phase of self-inserts that make no sense, the exception being one I did of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, since that made sense.

Then I was like "Yeah, I should stop doing that..." and I actually made characters for stories that weren't me.
This.

Though, to be fair, I'm awful at writing stories.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
This.

Though, to be fair, I'm awful at writing stories.
Well, for me, it honestly depends on the subject matter.

When I'm making a story based on something that already exists, I feel pressured to make sure most things stay the same minus whatever my characters do to change the environment around them. As a result, I feel my writing in that case is subpar, at most adequate.

When I have free reign of an idea of mine that's completely original, I feel like I can do whatever I want as long as it makes sense in context to the world, and I feel more in control, which makes my writing better because there are literally endless possibilities in my original universe. Basically, I feel like what I say is the law of that universe. Less pressure and everything.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

When I'm making a story based on something that already exists, I feel pressured to make sure most things stay the same minus whatever my characters do to change the environment around them. As a result, I feel my writing in that case is subpar, at most adequate.

When I have free reign of an idea of mine that's completely original, I feel like I can do whatever I want as long as it makes sense in context to the world, and I feel more in control, which makes my writing better because there are literally endless possibilities in my original universe.
Eh.
I can't make stories for the life of me.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I've spent the last 3-4 years writing fanfiction, and have acquired about 250,000 words in total in that period. I have only dabbled in one fandom thus far, but I intend to expand to others in the future.

I got into fanfiction because I saw it as an opportunity to practice the nuts and bolts of writing and storytelling, as my ultimate/dream ambition is to write and publish as a professional author; it's a means to move past the rookie mistakes before I ever get into any serious, original material.

If you're into writing fiction in any way, fanfiction can serve as an entertaining and enriching hobby (it certainly has been for me).

When I have free reign of an idea of mine that's completely original, I feel like I can do whatever I want as long as it makes sense in context to the world, and I feel more in control, which makes my writing better because there are literally endless possibilities in my original universe.
That's actually something fanfiction can teach you - how to remain consistent in your characterization.

In fanfiction, the characters are usually given to you. If your goal is to depict believable adaptations of existing characters, then you have to keep things like the character's speech patterns, voice, mannerisms, psychology, and plenty more in mind. You have to understand the character so that you can have them act true to character in any given situation, and then illustrate how such situations can in turn affect the character.

All of this is important with original characters as well; the only difference is that in addition to remaining consistent, you have to create backstory/behaviour/traits/voice. Or, put differently, you have to remain consistent with the building blocks of your character, whether you shape these blocks yourself, or they come with the package.

I've written canon and original viewpoints, and these are things I came to grasp over time. Of course, the real point is that you should strive to accomplish whatever goals you establish for yourself in your writing - even if it is just having fun in imaginationland. ;)

/PSA

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I've spent the last 3-4 years writing fanfiction, and have acquired about 250,000 words in total in that period. I have only dabbled in one fandom thus far, but I intend to expand to others in the future.

I got into fanfiction because I saw it as an opportunity to practice the nuts and bolts of writing and storytelling, as my ultimate/dream ambition is to write and publish as a professional author; it's a means to move past the rookie mistakes before I ever get into any serious, original material.

If you're into writing fiction in any way, fanfiction can serve as an entertaining and enriching hobby (it certainly has been for me).

That's actually something fanfiction can teach you - how to remain consistent in your characterization.

In fanfiction, the characters are usually given to you. If your goal is to depict believable adaptations of existing characters, then you have to keep things like the character's speech patterns, voice, mannerisms, psychology, and plenty more in mind. You have to understand the character so that you can have them act true to character in any given situation, and then illustrate how such situations can in turn affect the character.

All of this is important with original characters as well; the only difference is that in addition to remaining consistent, you have to create backstory/behaviour/traits/voice. I've written canon and original viewpoints, and these are things I came to grasp over time.

Of course, the real point is that you should strive to accomplish whatever goals you establish for yourself in your writing - even if it is just having fun in imaginationland. ;)

/PSA
Or, just be like everyone else and pair your Mary Sue OC with the main character!
And then talk about the "haters" and how much they suck and "my complely oriogional characterz can pwn u lulz"!
...Sounds about right...

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Or, just be like everyone else and pair your Mary Sue OC with the main character!
And then talk about the "haters" and how much they suck and "my complely oriogional characterz can pwn u lulz"!
...Sounds about right...
Dude, as someone who runs a roleplay forum or two, I can tell you that I've met my fair share of Sues and Stus.

Long story short, they suck and people should stop making them.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Dude, as someone who runs a roleplay forum or two, I can tell you that I've met my fair share of Sues and Stus.

Here's how I see it.

I understand they're bad. But I always find them hilarious.
Especially when someone gets personal about it. It's like a trainwreck in the making...

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Here's how I see it.

I understand they're bad. But I always find them hilarious.
Especially when someone gets personal about it. It's like a trainwreck in the making...
"My character is invincible and is able to destroy everything and his only weakness is something obscure that you would never be able to find naturally and is really hard to make."

STOP DOING THAT, GUYS.

There's a reason plenty of Touhou comics that involve those characters (referred to as 'Gappies', as in Gappy Sue/Stu, due to being brought into Gensokyo through Yukari's gap powers) end with the Gappy dying horribly and being sent to the lower levels of hell by Shikieiki Yamaxanadu.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
"My character is invincible and is able to destroy everything and his only weakness is something obscure that you would never be able to find naturally and is really hard to make."

STOP DOING THAT, GUYS.
You forgot "My character is completely original!"
Copycat sues are the worse.

There's a reason plenty of Touhou comics that involve those characters (referred to as 'Gappies', as in Gappy Sue/Stu, due to being brought into Gensokyo through Yukari's gap powers) end with the Gappy dying horribly and being sent to the lower levels of hell by Shikieiki Yamaxanadu.
...Eh, I just find them hilariously bad.

They're not bad. You want trainwreck bad, add "the Hedgehog" to end of their name.
Oh no, there's far worse...

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
...Sounds about right...

There are certainly those who engage in this. But that's only because there aren't really any stakes in fanfiction. Your reputation isn't on the line due to (semi)anonymity, there is no financial gain, and there is no threshold of quality that you need to meet (i.e. there's no penalty for bad or inexperienced writing).

As a result, the delineation between writing/storytelling and fantasizing is not always as clear, particularly to those who are younger and/or are less experienced with writing and/or are less informed about the mechanics of storytelling. Hence Sues and Stus.

Not that the practice of using writing as a vehicle for fantasy is reprehensible in itself. In theory, there's nothing wrong with self-insertions, original characters, and related narrative devices. But if you invest too much attachment in your fantasy, then any external criticism has a greater chance of being taken personally. And the nature of the Sue/Stu itself goes against the grain of good storytelling, thereby undermining your story (unless you're engaging in deliberate deconstruction or satire) - which is usually why such stories are criticized in the first place.

This is all just off-the-cuff speculation on my part, evidently, so consider it accordingly.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
They're not bad. You want trainwreck bad, add "the Hedgehog" to end of their name.
I'm a fan of typing in your favorite pokemon on dA and seeing how long it takes for it to get ugly.

It's doesn't take long.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why is Tommy stuck in Ranger form?

Is there something where the actor was not able to appear on the show or something?

I can't imagine it's STORY related in any way, because there is no real disadvantage to it. At least not that they bring up

There is no sense of urgency

It has to be some production problem.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why is Tommy stuck in Ranger form?

Is there something where the actor was not able to appear on the show or something?

I can't imagine it's STORY related in any way, because there is no real disadvantage to it. At least not that they bring up

There is no sense of urgency

It has to be some production problem.
You're right. He couldn't show for all of it and had to half-ass it with voices and such. It was a problem, but that's all they could do. I'm more annoyed they didn't bother with making the Triassic Ranger his own instead of a power-up. The big reason this is kind of bad is that two previous seasons had extra Red Rangers, with Quantum and Crimson. There's really no justification for the Triassic Ranger not being his own when he looks pretty different, even doubling as a Purple/Violet combo. Much like the White Wild Force Ranger has Pink parts on her actual costume, making her double as one. You could also say the Crimson Ranger took the Pink role with the Navy Ranger taking the Black role for colors. I mean, Magna Defender is definitely a Black Ranger, as his name in Japan is even Black Bull. Albeit, he's only considered a Ranger to some when he becomes a morph instead of physically being that body instead, but eh. Semantics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom