• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Yay, today my Wii U is being shipped back to me after I sent it for repairs. Can't wait to finish DKCTF (and other games) when I get it back.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So, I was bored and decided to go back and watch this video and something struck me... to those who were here in the preBrawl days, does it kind of weird you out how dated the graphics look now? The tiniest details I couldn't have cared less about back in the day now stick out like a sore thumb. Granted, I thought the same about Melee when the Brawl stuff was coming out and I don't doubt I'll feel the same way with the next Smash game but it just strikes me because I remember drooling over so much of it back in the day and, in the grand scheme of things, 6 years really wasn't that long ago...

He did say he was trying to evolve the franchise, so this is making Brawl look like it's outdated.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So, I was bored and decided to go back and watch this video and something struck me... to those who were here in the preBrawl days, does it kind of weird you out how dated the graphics look now? The tiniest details I couldn't have cared less about back in the day now stick out like a sore thumb. Granted, I thought the same about Melee when the Brawl stuff was coming out and I don't doubt I'll feel the same way with the next Smash game but it just strikes me because I remember drooling over so much of it back in the day and, in the grand scheme of things, 6 years really wasn't that long ago...

This is because Suepr Smash Bros. Brawl had a lackluster art direction. Many things like lighting and color were rather dull, it just lacked a bit of pop that made it stand out, which is compounded by many of the characters themselves being pretty flat and in some cases causes an uncanny valley effect. I would probably blame the fact that due to the varies developers involved, it caused an inconsistent sort of style that in general hurt the presentation.

You can see what I mean when people compare screenshots between Brawl vs. Smash Wii U.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
He did say he was trying to evolve the franchise, so this is making Brawl look like it's outdated.
The main thing that strikes me is how expressionless the characters are for the most part. Aside from subtle eyebrow and mouth changes, most of the characters look rather deadpan most of the time. Aside from Dedede and Luigi, nobody changes that much from their default looks. Also, as a million people have already pointed out, Brawl is incredibly washed out color scheme wise. It's not as bad as, say, Gears of War or Twilight Princess but it goes to show how the last generation (Wii/360/PS3) defined "realistic" in a lot of games.

Add in: Heh, Xenoblaze beat me to it.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The main thing that strikes me is how expressionless the characters are for the most part. Aside from subtle eyebrow and mouth changes, most of the characters look rather deadpan most of the time. Aside from Dedede and Luigi, nobody changes that much from their default looks. Also, as a million people have already pointed out, Brawl is incredibly washed out color scheme wise. It's not as bad as, say, Gears of War or Twilight Princess but it goes to show how the last generation (Wii/360/PS3) defined "realistic" in a lot of games.

Add in: Heh, Xenoblaze beat me to it.
That's kind of the irony isn't it, we got HD last gen but for the most part the realistic games gave us a washed out word that has less color then even the real world does. Kind of takes a way a few of the realism points or at least I did for me which is why the realism conversation got very tiring during last gen.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Realism? Bring on the dry colors and grittiness. It makes the worlds REALISTIC.

What? You want a game with bright colors? That is kiddy. Go play your babby games and let us hardcore players BASK on the brown REALISTIC worlds.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealIsBrown
It's not realistic until everyone is wearing speedos and bikinis, there are giant robots everywhere, heavy metal plays all the time, and zombies outbreaks occur more often then pimples.

Oh, and don't forget american flags. MURICA.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm thinking of playing through Dragon Ball Z Budokai 2 or 3 again for the 100th time. Those games are pretty damn fun. Luckily I have the original versions of those games. With the older soundtrack. Either that or keep training my Pokemon to level 100, but that'll take a while.

It's not realistic until everyone is wearing speedos and bikinis, there are giant robots everywhere, heavy metal plays all the time, and zombies outbreaks occur more often then pimples.

And you have to kill Nazis. It just isn't a good game if you don't kill Nazis.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

And you have to kill Nazis. It just isn't a good game if you don't kill Nazis.
The funniest thing about this is the fact that that means that South Park: The Stick of Truth is one of the most realistic games ever. :laugh:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
by the way go ahead and slowpoke me on breaking news gif me if you want but I know this has ben mentioned 2 years ago probably

i think its a no brainer that the nabbit will probably be a assist trophy and work like munchlax except when you hit him the items come out and maybe in stock matches an extra life may pop out of the bag in stock matches if he grabs enough items (thinking like super luigi U on what happens when the nabbit gets an item on that)

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Hasn't this become the longest hiatus between character announcements since Marth / Rosalina & Luma?
I hope the reveals don't get slower now.
I hope we get at least 4 other characters before E3.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
You guys do realize your the reason for PUSHING Sak into making a Smash4. HE never wanted to make a new one. So It's not his fault but your fault. Brawl was doing fine with Pm and so on. Now, you guys are unhappy and we are unhappy towards Wi-Fi being canceled, due to the die hard fans that DEMANDED a new Smash game.

Wait a go! Now, I'm curious If Nintendo ever wanted to make a Wii-U... I doubt that either, people just like to push change without UNDERSTANDING the CONSEQUENCES of all this. Meh, I've seen dumber things done by fans. But, this is a top ten for sure. Good day~

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
New artstyle?

Something insane just jumped into my mind.
The Legend Of Zelda.
Nintendo.
X.
Studio Ghibli.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
You guys do realize your the reason for PUSHING Sak into making a Smash4. HE never wanted to make a new one. So It's not his fault but your fault. Brawl was doing fine with Pm and so on. Now, you guys are unhappy and we are unhappy towards Wi-Fi being canceled, due to the die hard fans that DEMANDED a new Smash game.

Wait a go! Now, I'm curious If Nintendo ever wanted to make a Wii-U... I doubt that either, people just like to push change without UNDERSTANDING the CONSEQUENCES of all this. Meh, I've seen dumber things done by fans. But, this is a top ten for sure. Good day~
Where's your proof?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

Bikinis? Giant robots everywhere? American Flags? Sounds like a recipe for a Michael Bay trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jtz6hju6Yo

For real, how many American flags can you find?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Hasn't this become the longest hiatus between character announcements since Marth / Rosalina & Luma?
I hope the reveals don't get slower now.
I hope we get at least 4 other characters before E3.
Yoshi, Wario, Meta Knight, Ice Climbers, and Jigglypuff are names I've seen associated with the coming months (March-April-May). For April's Direct, Takamaru seems the likeliest Newcomer reveal, though I think I've seen theorizing of a Fire Emblem Newcomer for that Direct around here also.

Whatever the case, if December-January-February are of any indication (2 characters a month), then we could be seeing up to six characters before E3 (five Veterans and one Newcomer in April). If this pattern doesn't hold, then we could see less, or we could perhaps see more (if the pattern is in fact Japanese release dates for associated games, and certain anniversaries). I think 4-6 character confirmations is a reasonable expectation, all things considered.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588

Also, Wi-Fi being shut down has nothing to do with Smash4 and if Nintendo didn't want to make Wii U, guess what...they wouldn't have.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
That assumes people know the characters' name in Japanese. lol

I've seen website "leaks" being debunked thanks to people misspelling character's names. :laugh:

Yoshi, Wario, Meta Knight, Ice Climbers, and Jigglypuff are names I've seen associated with the coming months (March-April-May). For April's Direct, Takamaru seems the likeliest Newcomer reveal, though I think I've seen theorizing of a Fire Emblem Newcomer for that Direct around here also.
Takamaru could be revealed alongside either a new Murasame Castle game or the original game on the VC. There have been a few rumors about an international release of Takamaru's game on the VC. Some of them came from the fact some age rating companies had the game listed on their website.

I have a feeling there will be a character reveal this week. You know, one of those unexpected ones.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Takamaru could be revealed alongside either a new Murasame Castle game or the original game on the VC. There have been a few rumors about an international release of Takamaru's game on the VC. Some of them came from the fact some age rating companies had the game listed on their website.

I have a feeling there will be a character reveal this week. You know, one of those unexpected ones.
On the other hand, Newcomers (and Third-Parties) have all been revealed exclusively during global Directs (and E3). And April is Murasame's anniversary (since the game came out in April of 1986). Since Mac was shown off in February on account of Punch-Out's 30th Anniversary, the Newcomer-Direct-Anniversary connection might not be without merit.

But even if Takamaru is not shown off in April, I would expect him to be revealed during E3 or a post-E3 Direct. Things like a new Murasame game, or international re-releases of the original game (on the VC or otherwise) also seem like news best suited for a Direct. I could easily see such news serving as a segue to a Takamaru reveal trailer (or vice-versa).

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm honestly of the mindset that there's not really a reason for why a Newcomer is specifically picked for their reveal time. Rosalina wasn't revealed for any anniversary and 3D world came out a month earlier then the Direct so there was no underlying reason for her. Similarly, while Punch Out! did come out in February, Sakurai did not note or show any recognition of that anniversary like he did 64 or Brawl, so it's arguable that it was the case for his reveal as well.

So I think in all honestly the next newcomer is just going to be one he wants to reveal at the time, not because there's something special to be had in revealing them. It could be Takamaru or an FE newcomer, but I wouldn't put too much stock on them then others.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I'm honestly of the mindset that there's not really a reason for why a Newcomer is specifically picked for their reveal time. Rosalina wasn't revealed for any anniversary and 3D world came out a month earlier then the Direct so there was no underlying reason for her. Similarly, while Punch Out! did come out in February, Sakurai did not note or show any recognition of that anniversary like he did 64 or Brawl, so it's arguable that it was the case for his reveal as well.

So I think in all honestly the next newcomer is just going to be one he wants to reveal at the time, not because there's something special to be had in revealing them. It could be Takamaru or an FE newcomer, but I wouldn't put too much stock on them then others.
It could well be that Rosalina was showcased in December simply because it was the closest Direct to 3D World (even if the game had already been released). Though it could indeed have been the product of whim and happenstance. Similarly, Sakurai certainly could have showcased Mac in February without the Punch-Out anniversary in mind. But it's rather serendipitous regardless.

Even if there isn't a set pattern, I do think that Takamaru is the most suitable pick for April's Direct, both on account of the Murasame anniversary, and for the East-West contrast with Little Mac (which I admit is partial bias, since I like the imagery involved, but it would still be sensible regardless). And getting a retro character that isn't as well-known would serve to generate a lot of interest and discussion, something to tide us over until E3 (an FE Newcomer doesn't seem to fit that bill, though another unexpected or big-name Newcomer would also do the trick).

Consider the above as being what Sakurai should do, and not what he will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom