• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think I died laughing after witnessing Tornado Bus Driver's new avatar. Reminds me of my old one. :troll:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Reviews for Yoshi's New Island are all over the place. Some people are calling it a worthy successor to Yoshi's Island while others are calling it complete garbage. European reviewers, for whatever reason, are tearing it to shreds for the most part while American reviewers are mostly calling it a decent game. I'm in no rush to get it and I'll probably buy it off eBay in the fall when the price is significantly down.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Reviews for Yoshi's New Island are all over the place. Some people are calling it a worthy successor to Yoshi's Island while others are calling it complete garbage. European reviewers, for whatever reason, are tearing it to shreds for the most part while American reviewers are mostly calling it a decent game. I'm in no rush to get it and I'll probably buy it off eBay in the fall when the price is significantly down.
My fellow Europeans disagree with me?

**** just got real.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

**** just got real.
Well, since most of us are from the Americas.
Wanna help explain this?

It could be that we like Yoshi's Island more.
...And nostalgia, we love nostalgia.

Last edited:

SirGalvan

Smash Journeyman
hey I was wondering is there anyone know where there is a good place to ask someone to make a new signature and avi for me I am longing for a new one?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Revengeance is kind of a spin-off of the main MGS series, hence why it plays very differently. It looks pretty cool from what I've seen, though I haven't had the chance to play it. And it does exist in the same continuity as the main MGS franchise (taking place post-MGS4), which is nice.
The gameplay is pretty cool, but after you tear out the umpteenth spinal column for the umpteenth time it'll wear on you. The action gets really repetitive after a while. The boss fights were fun, though.

As for the story? I hate on MGS2's story all the time. I agree that it's weak as hell. However, MGS2 at least had pretext backing it up. There was an underlying theme of just how much control we have over processing information. Revengeance lacks that gravitas entirely. It's very much a generic revenge and retribution story with little substance. Furthermore, it doesn't really expand the narrative and setting all that much. It feels more like a theatre backdrop more than a consistent continuity.

The writers could have done so much more.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
The gameplay is pretty cool, but after you tear out the umpteenth spinal column for the umpteenth time it'll wear on you. The action gets really repetitive after a while. The boss fights were fun, though.

As for the story? I hate on MGS2's story all the time. I agree that it's weak as hell. However, MGS2 at least had pretext backing it up. There was an underlying theme of just how much control we have over processing information. Revengeance lacks that gravitas entirely. It's very much a generic revenge and retribution story with little substance.

Smooth Criminal
To be fair.
It is called "Revengeance".

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
@ Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal
Seeing how it's Platinum Games, I didn't really expect much of a story in Revengeance. They're better known for style over substance. Look at Bayonetta, a game they made that is 90% style.
I completed the game last weekend I can sum it up in one sentence:
Come for the answers in the story, stay for the damn boss fights. Because Jetstream Sam was actually fun.

**** just got real.
This is what I've heard. I'm still planning to get it because it sounds interesting to me, moreso than another Yarn game. Keep it to Kirby, eh?

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Aye, you got a point, @ Gunla Gunla . I just expect a somewhat decent story when I see things with Metal Gear Solid affixed to them (sans stuff like Acid). I did enjoy the game overall; I was just expecting a little more out of the narrative aspect.

Smooth Criminal

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Aye, you got a point, @ Gunla Gunla . I just expect a somewhat decent story when I see things with Metal Gear Solid affixed to them (sans stuff like Acid). I did enjoy the game overall; I was just expecting a little more out of the narrative aspect.

Smooth Criminal
Same here. I wish that they did indeed have some story, but it just felt so bare bones I think the summary can be like this for the story:
Exposition! Exposition! Circumstances! Raiden's a cyborg! Again! More Exposition! Okay, now go cut stuff for a couple of hours. More exposition. More slice marathons and a few boss fights later, with some minimal exposition, you've finished the game.

MGS2's story was questionable, BTW. Did not enjoy that whole duo-story thing. But it was better than MGR.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
So which Snake is your favorite?

Mine would be Solid Snake...though Big Boss is close behind.
I'd like to say solid snake, but after peace walker and snake eater, it is definitely big boss. (Naked snake)
I haven't clarified on my love for mgs to anybody yet, so i might as well now.

[collapse=MGS fanboy mini speech incoming]
Metal Gear is probably one of the greatest additions on the growing list of franchises that smash bros has opened me up to.

mgs1 was a masterpiece. It felt right, it played right and it just looked right for some reason (even the ps1 graphics seem right). Only Criticism i have is the accents, which were retconned in twin snakes.

Mgs2 was strange and confusing, but brilliant. I knew about raiden before playing, so i didn't get flipped on my head with that twist, so i can't really be mad at the game.

Mgs3 was beatiful and amazingly deep, with the addition of Psyche and CQC spicing up the formula, and the beginning of Big Boss's descent being a heartbreaking twist on what you would think is happening.

Peace Walker was mind numbingly fun to play after a while, and with friends its one of the best co op games out there.

Rising is a musical, bloody, testosterone filled adrenaline rush of a game, and i love how it can do this and still feel like metal gear, despite the weak plot.

Mgs4 was a brilliant game in every way. The common criticism about mgs4 was its cutscenes, which i didn't really get as this is the first and most likely the last game that I will ever want to sit through all of the cutscenes and see through to the end. Not to mention the attention to detail in the gameplay itself was amazing. (you could flip on your back and lie down, pretending to be a corpse. You can crawl to a ledge and peek down before grabbing the edge. You can take out enemies in a multitude of ways and sneak through areas in many different ways as well, it was brilliant!)

If anyone has not yet tried the metal gear solid series and has the capability of doing so, i strongly recommend that you do, it is an unforgettable experience.
[/collapse]

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I'd like to say solid snake, but after peace walker and snake eater, it is definitely big boss. (Naked snake)
I haven't clarified on my love for mgs to anybody yet, so i might as well now.

[collapse=MGS fanboy mini speech incoming]
Metal Gear is probably one of the greatest additions on the growing list of franchises that smash bros has opened me up to.

mgs1 was a masterpiece. It felt right, it played right and it just looked right for some reason (even the ps1 graphics seem right). Only Criticism i have is the accents, which were retconned in twin snakes.

Mgs2 was strange and confusing, but brilliant. I knew about raiden before playing, so i didn't get flipped on my head to find that twist, so i can't really be mad at the game.

Mgs3 was beatiful and amazingly deep, with the addition of Psyche and CQC spicing up the formula, and the beginning of Big Boss's descent being heartbreaking.

Peace Walker was mind numbingly fun to play after a while, and with friends its one of the best co op games out there.

Mgs4 was a brilliant game in every way. The common criticism about mgs4 was its cutscenes, which i didn't really get as this is the first and most likely the last game that I will ever want to sit through all of the cutscenes and see through to the end. Not to mention the attention to detail in the gameplay itself was amazing. (you could flip on your back and lie down, pretending to be a corpse. You can crawl to a ledge and peek down before grabbing the edge. You can take out enemies in a multitude of ways and sneak through areas in many different ways as well, it was brilliant!)

If anyone has not yet tried the metal gear solid series and has the capability of doing so, i strongly recommend that you do, it is an unforgettable experience.
[/collapse]
I soooo agree.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I spent all of 2009 with no school or job

It was horrible and I got kinda fat.

I got a job in 2010, which I still have today

and I started going to school again in 2012 (Finally)

I pretty much am back in shape now. Being out of work and school got me depressed

Though nowhere near the shape I was in highschool

Edit: It was 2012 I went back to school. I put financial aid info on my 2012 tax return form, that's right
Weird how being OUT of school would make one depressed. Though I guess it would mean you could buy more time to figure things out.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Weird how being OUT of school would make one depressed. Though I guess it would mean you could buy more time to figure things out.
I wanted to kill myself during my time out of school. Now that I'm back, I want to kill everyone else XD.
Not really of course. But I really hated being out of school with no friends.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I understand it, but it's weird how it turns out that way. Heck, I'm going through it myself. I wouldn't mind too much going back to school, but the question is what do I go back for?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I understand it, but it's weird how it turns out that way. Heck, I'm going through it myself. I wouldn't mind too much going back to school, but the question is what do I go back for?
Well if you're already living on your own, an education, I guess. But if you don't care about college, then there's no reason.
I still live with my parents (16 at the time) so I was pretty much stuck on inside my house.
I needed people to talk to. I needed routine.
So I went back. I'm doing a lot better than I did. Though I may quit again one day. But hopefully it will be when I am on my way to a better life.

Why are we talking life stories, though?

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well if you're already living on your own, an education, I guess. But if you don't care about college, then there's no reason.
I still live with my parents (16 at the time) so I was pretty much stuck on inside my house.
I needed people to talk to. I needed routine.
So I went back. I'm doing a lot better than I did. Though I may quit again one day. But hopefully it will be when I am on my way to a better life.

Why are we talking life stories, though?
I'm 23 with a bachelors in something I hate. I can't afford to live on my own.

Why are we talking about life stories, because it's fun, I guess.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
...I'm confused...
When america gets a game before Europe dose the Europeans hate the Americans. Same goes vice versa.

I just simplified it by saying it that way so that both could get interpreted as either of them.

@ the school talk. I'm home schooled and I in no way miss public school. Then again I'm not the most sociable person out there. I was what is known as a wallflower. I'm the kind that doesn't feel comfortable approaching people and initiating convos and stuff, however if I get approached by someone, even a complete stranger, and they initiate the convo or something I am fine and will talk the person to death xD.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Is it really Kojima answering questions?

If so, then it means Snake is no longer questionable to me; he's coming back.
Especially after Sakurai's statement that he doesn't care about console wars; showing that Sakurai doesn't hold the same logic of Snake being more "Sony-centric" to heart as Snake's detractors do.

Now it's only a matter of time....
Yes. It's the real Kojima. He was with Geoff Kingsley was it? Might have names mixed up. He was doing an ask me anything, basically; most of it was pertaining to MGS5. I saw a bit of it and read other parts.

I wouldn't be so sure, but one thing we do know is that even if they don't have him in the game right now, they can easily still get him in the game. There's no one around particularly against it and Nintendo's never had a bad relationship with Konami.

From what I heard around from early players:

Yoshi's Island > Story > New Island (very close) > DS > Topsy Turvy

i'm okay with this. I'm in no rush to buy it either given no pre-order bonus, but once I beat all of my 3DS games...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm 23 with a bachelors in something I hate. I can't afford to live on my own.

Why are we talking about life stories, because it's fun, I guess.
What do you have a bachelor's in? And who do you live with?
I'm six months away from 18, trying to consider my options.

Why can't we just agree that this entire hemisphere is just awful?
Hey, don't diss Canada. I mean, I don't hear bad things about them.
As a result of living in the US, I hear plenty of bad things about them, though. Like that their President is a Muslim.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I wouldn't be so sure, but one thing we do know is that even if they don't have him in the game right now, they can easily still get him in the game. There's no one around particularly against it and Nintendo's never had a bad relationship with Konami.
To be honest, if Snake's not in the game now it's probably not going to change. This is a character that many want to return and Sakurai has a good relationship with his creator, if he was being considered this is something I'd believe Sakurai would deal with as soon as possible as he'd want the character to return, he's stated that he's trying to get everyone back, and he would happily do it for Kojima. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that he'd ignore the character up until now and then suddenly say "Oh, I should add Snake in!" Particularly since it could lead to problems like what happened with Sonic back in Brawl.

Having said that, I don't think this quote matters for much as it's ambiguous enough to mean either the character's in and Kojima's not saying (like Sonic) or the character's out and he's disappointed (like Mega Man with Brawl).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom