• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Fair enough. You're correct that Uncharted follows the modern (pseudo-)trend of AAA interactive blockbusters, to an extent (lots of cinematic sequences and quick-time events). I'm not opposed to that kind of experience, but as far as Uncharted 2 was concerned, the platforming focus and storyline augmented my enjoyment.
The closest game I have probably played that is somewhat similar to those kind of games are the Assassin's Creed games, which I like a lot. But those game have superb gameplay and I wouldn't really call them "tomb raider" esque games all that much. Compared to those games what is it like?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The closest game I have probably played that is somewhat similar to those kind of games are the Assassin's Creed games, which I like a lot. But those game have superb gameplay and I wouldn't really call them "tomb raider" esque games all that much. Compared to those games what is it like?
Very few games these days let you jump into a haystack. I believe this to be one of the many positives of Assassin's Creed. Along with being able to just stab a dude in broad daylight so long as you were behind him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

#askkojima apparently had Kohima saying he approves of Sakurai using snake again

wonder what this means
Is it really Kojima answering questions?

If so, then it means Snake is no longer questionable to me; he's coming back.
Especially after Sakurai's statement that he doesn't care about console wars; showing that Sakurai doesn't hold the same logic of Snake being more "Sony-centric" to heart as Snake's detractors do.

Now it's only a matter of time....

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
AC is open-world, so it's vastly different than Uncharted and other linear realist platformers. In the latter, you're dropped in a level and must go from A to B, whereas in AC, you go wherever you want and complete main and/or side quests.

I'm drawing a blank as to what games could be considered similar to AC, alas. :ohwell:

So, listening to any interesting music lately?
My current indulgence is the album Altered States by Tesseract, a UK prog-ish outfit (i.e. djenty bass and guitar riffage, polymeter, etc.). Altered States marks the inclusion of a new vocalist, and the vocals are fully clean this time around (whereas in the past it was a clean/harsh fusion).

I find it to be a very interesting and moody piece thus far. I've been listening a lot to the first "movement" of the album in particular this past week (Of Matter).

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
My current indulgence is the album Altered States by Tesseract, a UK prog-ish outfit (i.e. djenty bass, polymeter, etc.). Altered States marks the inclusion of a new vocalist, and the vocals are fully clean this time around (whereas in the past it was a clean/harsh fusion).

I find it to be a very interesting and moody piece thus far. I've been listening a lot to the first "movement" of the album in particular this past week (Of Matter).
Ah.
I've just been listening to video game music.

Oh, and the verdict for Yoshi's New Island is!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/711405-yoshis-new-island/critic
...Eh.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If Snake returns, he will probably keep his Brawl look, being a mix of Snake's MGS2 design and Naked Snake's design from MGS3. May also feature his Old Snake look from MGS4 as an alternate costume, which certainly wouldn't be a bad idea.

Personally, I'd like to see him return, even though I never played any of his games. He's a character too unique to be cut, in my opinion.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
AC is open-world, so it's vastly different than Uncharted and other linear realist platformers. In the latter, you're dropped in a level and must go from A to B, whereas in AC, you go wherever you want and complete main and/or side quests.

I'm drawing a blank as to what games could be considered similar to AC, alas. :ohwell:

My current indulgence is the album Altered States by Tesseract, a UK prog-ish outfit (i.e. djenty bass, polymeter, etc.). Altered States marks the inclusion of a new vocalist, and the vocals are fully clean this time around (whereas in the past it was a clean/harsh fusion).

Honestly, before Assassin's Creed, the Spider-Man games pretty much were the go-to "open world" action series. Namely Spider-Man 2, Ultimate Spider-Man, and Web of Shadows. While Assassin's Creed has parkour and focused on countering your oppoents, Spider-Man games had super powers and more combo centric action. Now it seems like most would use the Batman Arkham games as an example too. Since they have a lot of similarities to Assassin's Creed and Spider-Man games.

mimgrim

Smash Hero

I'm drawing a blank as to what games could be considered similar to AC, alas. :ohwell:.
I'm better off selling it then.Too bad the game doesn't seem to be worth much. But it's still in it's wrapping and everything, and is GoTY edition. I just have no idea where to sell it at offline. Normally I sell stuff to Gamespot, but I have no idea if they will accept games still in the wrapping.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Those reviews show pictures of Yoshi actually doing stuff

A lot better than Nintendo's trailers which seems to only show Yoshi in an empty world

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
If Snake returns, he will probably keep his Brawl look, being a mix of Snake's MGS2 design and Naked Snake's design from MGS3. May also feature his Old Snake look from MGS4 as an alternate costume, which certainly wouldn't be a bad idea.

Personally, I'd like to see him return, even though I never played any of his games. He's a character too unique to be cut, in my opinion.
The Metal Gear series is rather excellent. You have spycraft and special ops in a world filled with political conspiracy and philosophical depth, in a timeline spanning at least a century. Plenty of stealth action, of course, but also a lot to chew in terms of story/character/themes.

I'd certainly recommend trying it out at some point. At the very least, it would allow you to further appreciate Snake in Smash.

Honestly, before Assassin's Creed, the Spider-Man games pretty much were the go-to "open world" action series. Namely Spider-Man 2, Ultimate Spider-Man, and Web of Shadows. While Assassin's Creed has parkour and focused on countering your oppoents, Spider-Man games had super powers and more combo centric action. Now it seems like most would use the Batman Arkham games as an example too. Since they have a lot of similarities to Assassin's Creed and Spider-Man games.
Oh man, I remember SM2 for the Gamecube. That was a boss game. :chuckle:

And I did play Arkham Asylum (which was also awesome). Now that you mention it, it is very much in the same vein as AC.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm better off selling it then.Too bad the game doesn't seem to be worth much. But it's still in it's wrapping and everything, and is GoTY edition. I just have no idea where to sell it at offline. Normally I sell stuff to Gamespot, but I have no idea if they will accept games still in the wrapping.
Eh, Might be better to go off to Amazon. From what I hear, Gamestop doesn't really give you all that much money for selling stuff, especially if it's used.

Those reviews show pictures of Yoshi actually doing stuff

A lot better than Nintendo's trailers which seems to only show Yoshi in an empty world
My guess is that is that Nintendo sees it as a minor project. So they just show off some of the basic stuff about the game and leave it at that. Kind of like Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus, it was just swept under the rug.

People are already saying Yoshi's cut.
Those are probably the same people that assume that Mewtwo is cut from Smash 4 without any real evidence to back that up.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
The Metal Gear series is rather excellent. You have spycraft and special ops in a world filled with political conspiracy and philosophical depth, in a timeline spanning at least a century. Plenty of stealth action, of course, but also a lot to chew in terms of story/character/themes.

I'd certainly recommend trying it out at some point. At the very least, it would allow you to further appreciate Snake in Smash.
Unless it's MGS4.
Which I hear is more like a movie.
quote="Thekewlusername, post: 16473857, member: 218984"]
Those are probably the same people that assume that Mewtwo is cut from Smash 4 without any real evidence to back that up.[/quote]
Honestly, it was funny back in 2013.
But now it's gotten old.

Though, I hope he's gotten a few buffs this time around.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Eh, Might be better to go off to Amazon. From what I hear, Gamestop doesn't really give you all that much money for selling stuff, especially if it's used.
I looked into Amazon. Too much hassle.

Uncharted 3 is brand spanking new and is still in the plastic wrapping. Plus I'm a Powerup Pro member. I just don't know if Gamestop will trade for games still in the wrapping, as I never done it before.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I looked into Amazon. Too much hassle.

Uncharted 3 is brand spanking new and is still in the plastic wrapping. Plus I'm a Powerup Pro member. I just don't know if Gamestop will trade for games still in the wrapping, as I never done it before.
You never know until you try.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Unless it's MGS4.
MGS4 is kind of wild in that respect. A slew of very long cutscenes are strung throughout the game; the closing epilogue sequence alone is like an hour-long in length (though thankfully, you can pause during cutscenes). And it's fan service up the wazoo, with tons of cameos/references/symmetries to past games. Also nanomachines every which way.

But if it's grandiose, it's only because it concludes the saga of Solid Snake (hence prominent memory lane stuff). I enjoyed it immensely regardless of the half-movie/half-game setup, however, since the MGS story is one of the central things I enjoy from the series (and the game is rather epic at several points, as befits a sendoff of Solid Snake).

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
MGS4 is kind of wild in that respect. A slew of very long cutscenes are strung throughout the game; the closing epilogue sequence alone is like an hour-long in length (though thankfully, you can pause during cutscenes). And it's fan service up the wazoo, with tons of cameos/references/symmetries to past games. Also nanomachines every which way.

But if it's grandiose, it's only because it concludes the saga of Solid Snake (hence prominent memory lane stuff). I enjoyed it immensely regardless of the half-movie/half-game setup, however, since the MGS story is one of the central things I enjoy from the series (and the game is rather epic at several points, as befits a sendoff of Solid Snake).
...I'll wait for Metal Gear on the NES.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Unless it's MGS4.

Honestly, it was funny back in 2013.
But now it's gotten old.

Though, I hope he's gotten a few buffs this time around.
Yeah, Yoshi should get some decent buffs this time around. I'm sure most would be happy with his tongue being used as a tether recovery. I'd like to see him juggle enemies when throwing eggs more. Also, making his Up Smash better would always be welcomed.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I've only played two MGS game. The one for the 3DS which was tons of fun, the controls were perfect. And one for the PS2 which I hated, the controls were so ****ing horrible I couldn't stand it and returned it quickly.

I eventually sold the 3DS one as I didn't find much value in replaying it.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Yeah, Yoshi should get some decent buffs this time around. I'm sure most would be happy with his tongue being used as a tether recovery. I'd like to see him juggle enemies when throwing eggs more. Also, making his Up Smash better would always be welcomed.
Honestly, if they buff him. I'm considering maining him.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I would really like to play Guns Of Patriots...it's too bad Playstation 4 doesn't have backwards compatabilty.
It doesn't? You'd think it wouldn't be that hard to pull off either.

I've only played two MGS game. The one for the 3DS which was tons of fun, the controls were perfect. And one for the PS2 which I hated, the controls were so ****ing horrible I couldn't stand it and returned it quickly.

I eventually sold the 3DS one as I didn't find much value in replaying it.
Was the PS2 one also MGS 3: Snake Eater? Or did you play MGS 2: Sons of Liberty on PS2? I don't think they re-released the first game on PS2. I know they did on Gamecube, they called it Twin Snakes. And it had some more over the top action in it. But it wasn't Revengeance level crazy.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
...I'll wait for Metal Gear on the NES.
The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (PS3/XBOX 360) includes Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 (from the MSX2/NES), as well as MGS2, MGS3, and MGS Peace Walker (PS Vita). No MGS1, alas, but it might nonetheless be worth looking into.

Of course, no point in getting that unless you're actually interested in the Metal Gear series. I'll leave you to sort out a game plan.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (PS3/XBOX 360) includes Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 (from the MSX2/NES), as well as MGS2, MGS3, and MGS Peace Walker (PS Vita). No MGS1, alas, but it might nonetheless be worth looking into.

Of course, no point in getting that unless you're actually interested in the Metal Gear series. I'll leave you to sort out a game plan.
Eh, I'll wait till the first comes out on the Virtual Console.
Besides, I don't own a Playstation or Xbox.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
All Yoshi needs is to be able to jump out of shield. Like in Project M.

I think it might have been 2. Reading about the game I had I remember it having someone called Raiden or something in it.

Yep it was MGS 2. Which most people would say is the weakest of the series. If you want a good game with Raiden in it, play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. It's an action game rather than the stealth the Metal Gear Solid stuff is known for. Not to mention it has a lot of crazy awesome stuff in it. It has some more replayability to with the gameplay. Since you have extra weapons to try out in earlier parts of the game.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Yep it was MGS 2. Which most people would say is the weakest of the series. If you want a good game with Raiden in it, play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. It's an action game rather than the stealth the Metal Gear Solid stuff is known for. Not to mention it has a lot of crazy awesome stuff in it. It has some more replayability to with the gameplay. Since you have extra weapons to try out in earlier parts of the game.
Revengeance is kind of a spin-off of the main MGS series, hence why it plays very differently. It looks pretty cool from what I've seen, though I haven't had the chance to play it. And it does exist in the same continuity as the main MGS franchise (taking place post-MGS4), which is nice.

By the way, 2014 is the year MGS4 takes place. Old Snake for Smash 4? :troll:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I just hated the controls, is all. They were clunky as hell.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Is it really Kojima answering questions?

If so, then it means Snake is no longer questionable to me; he's coming back.
Especially after Sakurai's statement that he doesn't care about console wars; showing that Sakurai doesn't hold the same logic of Snake being more "Sony-centric" to heart as Snake's detractors do.

Now it's only a matter of time....
I also absolutely love this design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom