• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
That'd imply that both Chrom and Robin were intended as unique Fire Emblem newcomers, exactly how likely does that sound, especially with Robin missing from Gematsu to begin with? Not very likely imo. It makes perfect sense to me that the only reason we have 4 FE characters with 2 of them being from Awakening is that Lucina drew that lucky straw, there's just no reason for Chrom to be cut mid-development when he'd likely neither prove to have any technical difficulties or be low priority, worst case scenario he'd have been repurposed into an Ike semi-clone I'm sure.

It just doesn't make sense with Chrom at all imo. Even then the most recent translation seems more likely to be the truth imo.
Except that implies that the leaker stated all of the newcomers. He didn't say that all the newcomers he listed were all of the newcomers in the game. Robin missing from the leak means nothing. Mii swordsman took Chroms spot.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Wow, can't find any Japanese reactions to the reveal in Nico.

All I find is reactions from youtube uploaded to Nico lol

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Except that implies that the leaker stated all of the newcomers. He didn't say that all the newcomers he listed were all of the newcomers in the game. Robin missing from the leak means nothing. Mii swordsman took Chroms spot.
Doesn't matter at this point as the translation was a fluke, there's no mention of a cut character anyways according to a few more translations.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Well anyways, I have an unrelated question. How do you find those mega high quality renders of the newcomers?

Sorry if it seems like I'm spamming posts, I just keep getting new ideas to post about.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
A different translation from a NeoGaf user that was posted on the Lucina general discussion thread here:

"Originally Lucina was a Marth color variation because they're related characters. The have different names and voices but play the same, and would receive treatment similar to male/female WFT, Villager and Robin. However, while Lucina's fighting style is the same, she has different characteristics. Because there's only a small difference, she would be a convenient additional character. This made her a lucky newcomer pick."
This makes a lot more sense. Especially since Sakurai said something similar in the PoTD.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I don't know why I always defend the Gematsu leak. I don't even care about it lol.

Last year the leak was fake. A week later it was real. 6 months later it was fake. 2 months ago it was real. Two weeks ago it was 100 percent accurate. Now its fake. Whatever. I'm sure when a Chorus kid is revealed it will be real again. :ohwell:

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well this is certainly interesting, but I'm a man on a mission and I'm low on time. So here's a copied post from another thread:

I've just taken over the Rayman thread and updated the OP, so anyone who hasn't shown support yet, or any new fans, please show your support by posting! And even if you're not a fan, if you're alright with the idea of Rayman appearing as DLC, please also add your name to the list so that we can gather large enough support to make some noise and get him added!

-I want to have support up by the time the games are released, so I need to get this around.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
So, are there any Metroid passwords that glitch things up?
J U S T I N B A I L E Y
- - - - - - - - - - - -

B B B B B B B B B B B B
B B B B B B I I I I I I

Apparently the last one breaks the game or something I haven't done it.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Rayman making it into smash would be an insult to one of my most wanted character

Who Sakurai considered but decided NOT to add because the whole separated limbs thing

So if Rayman could work, so could he

and he's first party

D

Deleted member

Regardless of the (intentional) mistranslation, I still think Chrom could have planned during the super early stages.

WARNING: STRAW GRASP APPROACHING

This early stage is when the Gematsu tipper obtained his info. Later on, roster is revised, and either Robin is added alongside Chrom, or replaces him outright. Rosalina is added here too. If Chrom wasn't cut at this point, he was probably one of the lowest priority characters. Chrom would later be cut due to not having enough time to fully create another unique character. Lucina is then promoted to fill his slot, leaving roster count intact. Chrom's model (one of the few things completed on him) was reused for Robin's Final Smash, which at the time, was undecided.

I will grasp as many straws as possible until Shulk happens :troll:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Regardless of the (intentional) mistranslation, I still think Chrom could have planned during the super early stages.

This early stage is when the Gematsu tipper obtained his info. Later on, roster is revised, and either Robin is added alongside Chrom, or replaces him outright. Rosalina is added here too. If Chrom wasn't cut at this point, he was probably one of the lowest priority characters. Chrom would later be cut due to not having enough time to fully create another unique character. Lucina is then promoted to fill his slot, leaving roster count intact. Chrom's model (one of the few things completed on him) was reused for Robin's Final Smash, which at the time, was undecided.

With or without the Gematsu leak, I'm still expecting Shulk. It's Chorus Men I'M scared about. So I'm hopping along with your straw grapping.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Well, it does sound like a plausible scenario.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest

I don't think that deductive reasoning is straw grasping. Detectives aren't straw grasping when they do their jobs(most of the time). They reason a possible solution from what they've seen.

If a Brawl leaker said Dixie was in and she wasn't then everyone would think that the leak was wrong until they realize later that Dixie was actually planned for the game. People like to jump the gun a lot saying "FAKE" just so they can go with the flow or whatever everyone else says without looking at the information

Ok maybe that was harsh...

People like to say fake because that seems like the right solution to them.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Rayman making it into smash would be an insult to one of my most wanted character

Who Sakurai considered but decided NOT to add because the whole separated limbs thing

So if Rayman could work, so could he

and he's first party
I thought Sukapon wasn't added because he was very obscure, and there was very little chance of him ever coming to America.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I thought Sukapon wasn't added because he was very obscure, and there was very little chance of him ever coming to America.
No

From what I read it was more about his disconnected body

Edit: Although that could have played a factor in him not trying harder

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
People should stop associating Shulk with the leak and realize he can get in on his own merits.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Technology back then =/= technology now. Sakurai has grown as a developer.

And I would think that the mascot of a major gaming company would be far better than some obscure second-rate character.

Also, was it not just said that the initial translation was wrong, and that no one was actually cut in the middle of development? Why are people still spinning wild theories?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
J U S T I N B A I L E Y
- - - - - - - - - - - -

B B B B B B B B B B B B
B B B B B B I I I I I I

Apparently the last one breaks the game or something I haven't done it.
Yeah, the last one crashed my DS.
Ah well, at least I'll always have the door glitch...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
According to the other translations, it's more like:
- Sakurai and his team planned Lucina to be a Marth alt, complete with name change and voice change.
- They change minds during development and, using Lucina's alt as a basis (model, animations...), they change her to be a tweaked version of Marth. The animations were done, all that was needed was some minute changes concerning gameplay mechanic. Specifically in this case, it means the different sword mechanics and the shorter range.
- Lucina is "promoted" to a character, thanks to the tweaks, as alts are meant to be aesthetic changes.

This being true, we might see characters as alts AND what Sakurai meant with "characters as alts" likely meant "different gameplay styles selectable through costumes".

In other words, for Sakurai, a slot might represent a gameplay change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom