• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
At least they have improved, Kenith.
They used to pretty much play a game for like, two hours and then stamp a rating on it.

I know, I know. It doesn't make it any less frustrating, though.
It's like they don't even look for tone, or theme in the game. They just wait until they see the color red and lazily but hastily stamp that rating on.
Well, they have to really judge it from a public standpoint sometimes, in my opinion. The public only really cares about the main core things in rating (How Much Blood, How Much Violence, Intensity of Suggestive Material, How Much Swearing, and How Much Alcohol, How Much Are Characters Being Jerks, and How Many Drugs).

Wait, I know Earthbound is a bit risque, but there was sexual content in it? I didn't know this.
That's the ironic part. There's barely any, if it can be considered such.
The most it goes is to some small little references that would typically go under "crude humor" and the like. It's possible that serious misinterpretations were the cause of such ratings.

Ness is nude in that dream world segment (I don't remember the name)
In the US version they put him in pajamers.
Even then, there's no actual nudity in the sprite itself.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
At least they have improved, Kenith.
They used to pretty much play a game for like, two hours and then stamp a rating on it.
Actually, from what I understand, they don't play the games they rate. They watch videos and read reports by the developers of the game.
It's less work for them and does the same purpose...

Well, they have to really judge it from a public standpoint sometimes, in my opinion. The public only really cares about the main core things in rating (How Much Blood, How Much Violence, Intensity of Suggestive Material, How Much Swearing, and How Much Alcohol and Drugs).
That's the issue I have with them, though, is that they don't really have developed opinions; they were founded by and for the paranoid masses.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
That's the ironic part. There's barely any, if it can be considered such.
The most it goes is to some small little references that would typically go under "crude humor" and the like. It's possible that serious misinterpretations were the cause of such ratings.
Well, if somehow Shadow the Hedgehog can get away with a E10+ rating, I'll believe anything at this point.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
It could be worse. It's rated M in Australia.

It's (In America) for "Fantasy Violence, Mild Blood, Suggestive Themes, Crude Humor", which mostly makes sense.

Well, thanks to the growing market, they kind of had to get stricter. Those soccer moms and haters are the people who literally complained to the ESRB because of games like Golgo 13 not getting any rating at all despite pretty much being M-AO Material, and they were forced to get stricter over time. There's still many controversial ratings (Halo Reach, for instance) that show they have some time left before they tone down their 180 degree turn they made a few years back.
Funny, I just looked up how the Australian Rating System works, and it says that their rated M is 16.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Sometime ESRB gets it right, but most of the time they get it wrong imo. I will still continue to disagree with the M ratings the games receive, well aside from Wars (as that game got a T rating), is ridiculous imo. I honestly believe T would fit the games better. But meh. Rating is irrelevant to me now lol.

D

Deleted member

EarthBound is rated M in Australia...

Looks like Snake is no longer the only fighter from an M-rated game :ness:

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Sometime ESRB gets it right, but most of the time they get it wrong imo. I will still continue to disagree with the M ratings the games receive, well aside from Wars (as that game got a T rating), is ridiculous imo. I honestly believe T would fit the games better. But meh. Rating is irrelevant to me now lol.
Pretty much in America, the second you turn 17, the bottom left of the box becomes pretty much irrelevant. (For a lot of youngsters with ignorant/uncaring parents though, that age is usually 12/13...) :rolleyes:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
For those curious, here are the age ratings for Japan, North America, Europe and Australia:

CERO (Japan) - A (All ages), B (12+), C (15+), D (17+) and Z (18+).
ESRB (N. America) - EC (3+), E (7+), E10+, T (13+), M (17+) and AO (18+)
PEGI (Europe) - 3, 7, 12, 16 and 18 (No fancy letters, which in my opinion is less confusing.)
OFLC (Australia) - G (All ages), PG (people under 15 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian), M (15+, unrestricted), MA (15+, restricted, age proof is required), R18+ (restricted, age proof is required)

I think EarthBound is rated A in Japan. lol

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I still don't understand why Melee and Brawl were T...

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Pretty much in America, the second you turn 17, the bottom left of the box becomes pretty much irrelevant. (For a lot of youngsters with ignorant/uncaring parents though, that age is usually 12/13...) :rolleyes:
It's a good thing i never cared about Metal Gear or COD then.

@ egaddmario egaddmario
Updated graphics from transfer from N64 to GameCube in 2001

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I still don't understand why Melee and Brawl were T...
From what I've seen all it takes is to have characters with realistic looking weapons in violent situations with human like characters even if the violence isn't particularly realistic.. Even something like Link's sword seems to be enough for that.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I played Brawl when I was 8.
It's kind of a different situation in that regard imo...
Brawl's a bit of a goofy and not so serious game (Wario and Luigi come to mind when thinking of this.)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well, if somehow Shadow the Hedgehog can get away with a E10+ rating, I'll believe anything at this point.
Fun fact: Sonic Team initially planned to have Shadow the Hedgehog get a Teen rating.

However, when the ESRB created the E10+ rating, they decided to shoot for that instead and removed most of the swearing (which is why the damns seem so out of place) changed the aliens' blood from red to green, and there were other changes.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I have weird parents. They were really strict on games I was allowed to play based on my age. But I was allowed to watch R-rated movies, like Lethal Weapon, since I was like 7 lol.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Fun fact: Sonic Team initially planned to have Shadow the Hedgehog get a Teen rating.

However, when the ESRB created the E10+ rating, they decided to shoot for that instead and removed most of the swearing (which is why the damns seem so out of place) changed the aliens' blood from red to green, and there were other changes.
Oh I know, trust me. And if anything I'm glad.
The idea of a darker and edgier Sonic was already a stupid idea, but keeping all of that would've been even worse.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I have weird parents. They were really strict on games I was allowed to play based on my age. But I was allowed to watch R-rated movies, like Lethal Weapon, since I was like 7 lol.
Sounds like a pretty common double standard when it comes to video games compared to other media. It's the old myth of the nature of interactivity of video games making them a special case for consideration in the interest of public good..

The irony about it is that Movies once had a similar problem. There was a time where people believed Movies' ability to simulate reality made it a special case for censorship in the interest of public good.

It basically comes down to society acceptable of one media or another.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I just always got to play whatever I felt like as long as I found a way to purchase it. My parents figured if I was creative enough to get an M rated game, I could play them.

D

Deleted member

My parents used to not let me get Brawl. I thought it had to do with the stupid rating, they let me eventually, and I wasn't exactly a teenager. It was weird though; I had completed subspace and unlocked all the characters before I even owned a copy of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Still on the age rating topic, PEGI doesn't have a "Rating Pending" category. Instead, they do a provisional rating for pre-released content like trailers. Currently, Smash Wii U/3DS has a 12+ rating (subject to change, but given how Brawl had a 12+ rating, I expect they keep the rating).

Given PEGI was only created in 2003, Super Smash Bros. Melee had a 11+ rating (coincidentally, I got the game for my 11th birthday lol) by another age rating board (that I think is no longer around). PEGI rated the Player's Choice edition 3+.

D

Deleted member

My parents used to not let me get Brawl. I thought it had to do with the stupid rating, they let me eventually, and I wasn't exactly a teenager. It was weird though; I had completed subspace and unlocked all the characters before I even owned a copy of the game.
Really? I was allowed to play Melee when I was about five years old, so naturally, I was also allowed to play brawl. But now I'm actually old enough for Smash 4(assuming they don't change it for some stupid reason) so it doesn't really matter anymore.

D

Deleted member

Still on the age rating topic, PEGI doesn't have a "Rating Pending" category. Instead, they do a provisional rating for pre-released content like trailers. Currently, Smash Wii U/3DS has a 12+ rating (subject to change, but given how Brawl had a 12+ rating, I expect they keep the rating).

Given PEGI was only created in 2003, Super Smash Bros. Melee had a 11+ rating (coincidentally, I got the game for my 11th birthday lol) by another age rating board (that I think is no longer around). PEGI rated the Player's Choice edition 3+.
Weird. I thought Melee was rated much, much higher;

:foxmelee:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently some cops in California tricked an autistic kid into buying weed for them so they could arrest the kid.

They tricked some autistic kid by "befriending him", this kid desperate for a friend

Then threatened to leave if he did not buy them weed

Then instructed the kid how to buy weed

Then arrested him upon buying it

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Apparently some cops in California tricked an autistic kid into buying weed for them so they could arrest the kid.

They tricked some autistic kid by "befriending him", this kid desperate for a friend

Then threatened to leave if he did not buy them weed

Then instructed the kid how to buy weed

Then arrested him upon buying it
That's ****ed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom