• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Minor little rant coming up, regarding the lack of a 15+ rating on the ESRB

Honestly, I'm all for the ESRB someday getting a 15+ Rating instead of the 4 year jump. The 10+ Rating I felt was a little unnecessary and only caused more confusion for parents (really? Shadow the Hedgehog was E10?!) A 15+ Rating would be excellent and already has a variety of games that could go into the slot (most of the Ace Attorney games, for instance, as Dual Destinies was only barely given its M rating for the 3D visuals while the 2D AA games are T for the sprite based graphics being less graphic).

Games such as Smash Bros or Xenoblade are right in with the T, but games such as Blazblue, Skullgirls and whatnot are so excessively on the line that it's not even funny. I mean, Destiny and a few titles such as Halo: Reach were very borderline and only recieved their rating at the 11th hour, usually for one specific reason taking it down. Hell, Continuum Shift was another title that had some trouble due to an element with Relius Clover's Astral Heat being graphic in nature but they couldn't decide at first (eventually it was censored to avoid a borderline M rating while in Japan it was given a quickly decided C rating).

I feel that adding a 15+ Rating would be quite helpful for the ESRB and consumers in general as it takes away a gap that's far too large. It also helps bridge the gap when issues and controversial ratings like these happen.

/endrant
A 15+ rating could have probably done better compared to the 10+ rating, but I still wouldn't trust them all that much with ratings.

I will still never understand what is so bad about Halo that it needs an M rating, I honestly believe T, in the ESRBs current state, would have fit it better. 15+ would work to. But eh. ESRB just sucks e_e.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Just got back from GameStop where I preordered the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Bundle. I didn't get it for the GameCube controller (Wii U Pro Controller for the win!) I decided to get the adapter out of the way just so others who like the GameCube controller will play with me.
Why don't you like the GCN controller?

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I see the Werehog as a cute nod back to Ristar and their old beat em ups like Streets of Rage personally.
The Sonic series has an odd habit of revisiting the cutting room floor and resurrecting old ideas.

1. Way back when they were still planning and designing Sonic himself, at one point he was supposed to be a rabbit with stretchy ears that allowed him to grab stuff and such. Werehog and his stretchy arms is a resurrection of that idea.

2. Mighty the Armadillo was also a leftover design from when at one point Sonic was an armadillo. The armadillo concept was largely carried over into Mighty.

3. Vector the Crocodile was actually supposed to be in the original Sonic the Hedgehog game for Sega Genesis as part of the "Sonic's Rock Band" concept, but when that concept was scrapped, so was Vector until he was resurrected in Knuckles Chaotix. The headphones on his head are a leftover nod to his originally intended Sega Genesis appearance.

4. Along with the Rock Band concept, Sonic was also supposed to rescue a human girl named Madonna. The idea was scrapped, but resurrected in the form of Princess Elise from Sonic 2006.

5. The Deadly Six may or may not be leftovers from the cancelled Sonic X-Treme for Sega Saturn. One of the possible stories that was kicked around for that rather infamous game was a concept of Robotnik gaining control over six monsters and having them try to stop Sonic, which is pretty much the same story that came to happen in Lost World. Lost World in and of itself resembles alot of Sonic X-treme.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
The Sonic series has an odd habit of revisiting the cutting room floor and resurrecting old ideas.

1. Way back when they were still planning and designing Sonic himself, at one point he was supposed to be a rabbit with stretchy ears that allowed him to grab stuff and such. Werehog and his stretchy arms is a resurrection of that idea.

2. Mighty the Armadillo was also a leftover design from when at one point Sonic was an armadillo. The armadillo concept was largely carried over into Mighty.

3. Vector the Crocodile was actually supposed to be in the original Sonic the Hedgehog game for Sega Genesis as part of the "Sonic's Rock Band" concept, but when that concept was scrapped, so was Vector until he was resurrected in Knuckles Chaotix. The headphones on his head are a leftover nod to his originally intended Sega Genesis appearance.

4. Along with the Rock Band concept, Sonic was also supposed to rescue a human girl named Madonna. The idea was scrapped, but resurrected in the form of Princess Elise from Sonic 2006.

5. The Deadly Six may or may not be leftovers from the cancelled Sonic X-Treme for Sega Saturn. One of the possible stories that was kicked around for that rather infamous game was a concept of Robotnik gaining control over six monsters and having them try to stop Sonic, which is pretty much the same story that came to happen in Lost World. Lost World in and of itself resembles alot of Sonic X-treme.
It's nice to know someone else knows my "Fun facts" I peck my friends with

Did you know that Sonics concept was from his creator speed running Mario 1? haha

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario

Speaking of Mighty, where the heck did he go???

SEGA I LOVED YOU DON'T DO THIS TO ME!!!!

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Hey I like the 2D ones as much as the next guy (3 & K is my personal favorite game in the franchise even) but that doesn't mean the 3D ones don't have their merits.
I commend your saintliness, sir. You're a helluva lot more forgiving about crappy 3D platforms than I am.

Hey SC! Long time no see.. I've been gone awhile, doubt you remember me!
I remember you just fine! My memory stretches loooooooong about stupid ****, usually. 'Sup.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Speaking of Mighty, where the heck did he go???

SEGA I LOVED YOU DON'T DO THIS TO ME!!!!
He made a brief cameo in Sonic Generations along with Ray the Squirrel on a Missing poster.

It's nice to know someone else knows my "Fun facts" I peck my friends with

Did you know that Sonics concept was from his creator speed running Mario 1? haha
Oh I knew that.

How about this. Sonic the Fighters came about entirely as the result of a joke. One of the guys making Virtua Fighter made a model of Sonic in the game as a joke... the joke was so funny they made a whole game about it.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I commend your saintliness, sir. You're a helluva lot more forgiving about crappy 3D platforms than I am

I remember you just fine! My memory stretches loooooooong about stupid ****, usually. 'Sup.

Smooth Criminal
What may be crappy to one may be fine in anothers book good sir!

Haha glad to know :p, i'm good just been busy with a program called Job Corps. I'll be on more now though and i've decided to get into the more competitive scene.. Starting with Apex in January

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I kinda want Saria in Hyrule Warriors to be like Cai Weniji in the more recent Dynasty Warriors and Orochi 3. Of course Zhen Ji as well who predated her apperence

MUSICAL DEATH

D

Deleted member

Here you guys go. The Shadow the Hedgehog Beta Opening... BEFORE the scenes were rearranged to fit the final boss music "I Am... All of Me". Turns out the scene actually makes more sense when it isn't rearranged to resemble a music video.

plus the part at 0:16 - 0:18 is cut short in the final version.
Somehow, that makes a little less sense to me. Probably due to the lack of sounds on certain aspects (i.e. no explosion on Chaos Blast). And then there's that Shadow is glaring down a fallen soldier, then suddenly looking at the fighting on higher ground, then targeting the Black Arms, and then apparently killing Sonic.
I get that Shadow has multiple possible paths in the game in terms of allegiance, but that's just ridiculous.

I'm not so sure "Shadow shooting Sonic point blank" is toned down too much.
Also, I'm not sure how toned down it got. A few reasons as to why I think so:
-Constant Swearing, even with the cutbacks
-Free option to KILL PEOPLE
-To 100% the game you have to KILL PEOPLE to complete missions
-An ending involves Shadow killing Ivo Robotnik

Despite the fact that blood was mostly removed, I still find it strange that a game that allows you to kill human beings is still rated E10.
Actually, Shadow doesn't kill any human but Eggman in some of the endings.
He only cripples the soldiers (evident by them continuously pleading Shadow to spare their lives when knocked down) and leaves them to die.

EDIT: Arguably, Shadow killed more people in Sonic Adventure 2 than he did here, unless Prison Island was uninhabited when it was blown up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Somehow, that makes a little less sense to me. Probably due to the lack of sounds on certain aspects (i.e. no explosion on Chaos Blast). And then there's that Shadow is glaring down a fallen soldier, then suddenly looking at the fighting on higher ground, then targeting the Black Arms, and then apparently killing Sonic.
I get that Shadow has multiple possible paths in the game in terms of allegiance, but that's just ridiculous.
But if they didn't, then how would we know it dark and edgy?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm late on this, but whatever.

Shadow the Hedgehog got a 12+ rating here in Europe. Speaking of age ratings, Europe has PEGI which has 5 ratings: 3+, 7+, 12+, 16+ and 18+. Portugal in particular replaces the 3+ and 7+ classifiers with the similar 4+ and 6+ ratings to match with our movies' age ratings. And as you may have noticed, we don't use fancy letters. It's clearer that way, to be honest.

It gets interesting how these age ratings vary from region to region. Some places tolerate certain content more than others.

Anyway, the current topic is... Fi in Hyrule Warriors? That would be epic. lol

Hope this may mean more characters from Skyward Sword like Ghirahim. I hope there are playable villains, so I can play as Ganondorf and Ghirahim.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
It's just the illustration the guy chose to tag in, you're just grasping at straws
I think the Fi "hints", if any, have more to do with the nature of the tweet ("98% percent probability" of Famitsu character reveal). Fi does speak in terms of probabilistic analysis, as you surely know.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
So, after playing SMB3, I remembered one song that I'd like to be in Smash Bros. 4: World 2 Theme. But in techno. ♡
SMB3 is still my favorite Mario game of all time.

I'd love a remix of some more of its themes but I already got a rockin overworld theme in Melee and the Airship remix in Brawl.. I can't be greedy haha ^^

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Why don't you like the GCN controller?
I don't dislike the GameCube controller. I've kinda grown out of that controller years ago (I was a Nunchuk guy in Brawl). I find the Wii U Pro controller much more comfortable and I love its d-pad and the buttons.

The GCN controller isn't bad but it's somewhat overrated now.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Wait, those are arms?!
...I did not know that.
I took me 3 months to know so you're not alone.

Just to give you a scale: when I saw them for the first time, the camera was on the normal position but by locking the game into a cheat, the arms rose so I could see them. On my 40 ish inch TV, just the right one took the whole screen. I really freaked out but no one knows why it's there (you even see them spin around in a cutscene that's so weird).

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
SMB3 is still my favorite Mario game of all time.

I'd love a remix of some more of its themes but I already got a rockin overworld theme in Melee and the Airship remix in Brawl.. I can't be greedy haha ^^
No lie- when I first heard SMB3 was hitting Virtual Consoles, I got more hyped than I have for any Mario game in recent years. Damn good game.

On a different note- I'm going to change my avatar into something different from Lucario until the release of Smash Bros 4. I'm thinking of either Shy Guy, Zer0, Slinky, Enderman, or Bowser. What says you guys?

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
No lie- when I first heard SMB3 was hitting Virtual Consoles, I got more hyped than I have for any Mario game in recent years. Damn good game.

On a different note- I'm going to change my avatar into something different from Lucario until the release of Smash Bros 4. I'm thinking of either Shy Guy, Zer0, Slinky, Enderman, or Bowser. What says you guys?
It's darn amazing, but I do have to say Mario 3D World did make me start liking more recent Marios again. It didn't feel like REHASH of New Super Mario Bros.. Again haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom