• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Awful controls, floating cats, killer cars, and Bubsy 3D...
Users, never subject yourself to Bubsy.

That's a C Rating!? When Blazblue of all games has a B? Do I want to know?
Only things I cuold think of are either the content of the involved songs, or the possible costume options for the models. I haven't looked much into it but that would be my assumption.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Just googled it.
The reason for this are as followed:
  • Mild Lyircs: Some songs contain mildly suggestive lyrics (e.g. Sweet Devil's "I'm showing too much cleavage? You know you like it"). This did not have much of an impact on the rating, however, since all the songs are mostly sung in Japanese (and the subtitles are in Romaji writing).
  • Mild Violence: Tokyo Teddy Bear showed a silhouetted Rin being impaled by a large sewing needle (this is the first game to depict any form of violence). Also, while never pointed out by the ESRB, some songs such as Secret Police also have lyrics that suggests violence.
  • Suggestive Themes: The main reason for this rating, some scenes depict some of the girls dancing provocatively (e.g. Eh? Ah, Sou), and, more noticably, some of Luka's and MEIKO's costumes are considerably revealing or provocative. MEIKO's Blue Crystal module especially sparked this reason, due to the costume having her chest covered solely by two belts. Also, while never pointed out by the ESRB, Luka's, MEIKO's, Miku's (depending on her movements and/or costume) and Rin's (in her Future Style module) chest would bounce when they moved, likely due to the game's extended physics.
While this is about the ESRB's rating of it, I think it still applies a bit.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm not entirely sure myself.
Nor am I sure of the actual differences would be between B (12 years old +) and C (15 years old +) games would be. I've played Project DIVA and the worst thing is the rage you get when you miss beats because you're bad at the game. *sobs violently*
I looked around. While Cero doesn't give an in depth explanation, ESRB might have the answer.

ESRB said:
This is a rhythm game in which players tap buttons in time with music videos starring a variety of animated characters. Players score points by accurately matching timed cues as they appear on screen. Some scenes depict female characters wearing short skirts, revealing tops, and dancing provocatively; one character is shown wearing an outfit in which her chest is covered solely by two belts. One video contains a brief shot of a silhouetted girl being impaled by a large sewing needle. Some song lyrics, which are in Japanese, contain brief references to suggestive material (e.g., “[H]er flat chest isn't going to do much justice to my costume;” “I'm showing too much cleavage? You know you like it”).
Edit: Ninja'd by the man himself.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Minor little rant coming up, regarding the lack of a 15+ rating on the ESRB

Honestly, I'm all for the ESRB someday getting a 15+ Rating instead of the 4 year jump. The 10+ Rating I felt was a little unnecessary and only caused more confusion for parents (really? Shadow the Hedgehog was E10?!) A 15+ Rating would be excellent and already has a variety of games that could go into the slot (most of the Ace Attorney games, for instance, as Dual Destinies was only barely given its M rating for the 3D visuals while the 2D AA games are T for the sprite based graphics being less graphic).

Games such as Smash Bros or Xenoblade are right in with the T, but games such as Blazblue, Skullgirls and whatnot are so excessively on the line that it's not even funny. I mean, Destiny and a few titles such as Halo: Reach were very borderline and only recieved their rating at the 11th hour, usually for one specific reason taking it down. Hell, Continuum Shift was another title that had some trouble due to an element with Relius Clover's Astral Heat being graphic in nature but they couldn't decide at first (eventually it was censored to avoid a borderline M rating while in Japan it was given a quickly decided C rating).

I feel that adding a 15+ Rating would be quite helpful for the ESRB and consumers in general as it takes away a gap that's far too large. It also helps bridge the gap when issues and controversial ratings like these happen.

/endrant

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
You guys talking both Miku and Chorus Men... well here you go, let's just mash them together!

While I'm not too much of a fan of Vocaloid, (I do like Leak spin though), I do really like this video. I hope we get more Glee club parodies when the Chrous kids are revealed. :3

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Just got back from GameStop where I preordered the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Bundle. I didn't get it for the GameCube controller (Wii U Pro Controller for the win!) I decided to get the adapter out of the way just so others who like the GameCube controller will play with me.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Just got back from GameStop where I preordered the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Bundle. I didn't get it for the GameCube controller (Wii U Pro Controller for the win!) I decided to get the adapter out of the way just so others who like the GameCube controller will play with me.
Good move haha, I prefer the GC controller myself but my pals like a range of all the controller styles, we even have a Wii Mote Chucker. [Not to be confused with those Chucksters on that one Mario Sunshine level]

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
No that one I already know about. And regret.

If I recall correctly, it was meant to have a Teen rating.
They just toned it down a bit.

You are correct. There are cutscenes (or rather parts OF cutscenes) that were removed in the final cut and the soldiers were supposed to bleed red blood when shot/stabbed/run over with a truck/punched/homing attacked as were the aliens (now the aliens bleed GREEN blood and the humans just go "bwaahhh" and fall back, there was MORE swearing originally, and a couple of songs were removed, and another one was replaced because the artist (Magna-fi) came to like the song they wrote and wanted to release it personally opting to replace the song "Who I Am" (which was fitting since it's main lyrics were "This is Who I Am" reflecting the line Shadow says in every ending) with "All Hail Shadow".

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
No that one I already know about. And regret.

If I recall correctly, it was meant to have a Teen rating.
They just toned it down a bit.

I'm not so sure "Shadow shooting Sonic point blank" is toned down too much.
Also, I'm not sure how toned down it got. A few reasons as to why I think so:
-Constant Swearing, even with the cutbacks
-Free option to KILL PEOPLE
-To 100% the game you have to KILL PEOPLE to complete missions
-An ending involves Shadow killing Ivo Robotnik

Despite the fact that blood was mostly removed, I still find it strange that a game that allows you to kill human beings is still rated E10.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

Despite the fact that blood was mostly removed, I still find it strange that a game that allows you to kill human beings is still rated E10.
He not only kills Robotnik/Eggman

He does it in the most Star Trek OS way possible. a Karate Chop

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Here you guys go. The Shadow the Hedgehog Beta Opening... BEFORE the scenes were rearranged to fit the final boss music "I Am... All of Me". Turns out the scene actually makes more sense when it isn't rearranged to resemble a music video.

plus the part at 0:16 - 0:18 is cut short in the final version.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Here you guys go. The Shadow the Hedgehog Beta Opening... BEFORE the scenes were rearranged to fit the final boss music "I Am... All of Me". Turns out the scene actually makes more sense when it isn't rearranged to resemble a music video.

plus the part at 0:16 - 0:18 is cut short in the final version.
Pretty cool yeah, I've seen it already but its nice to see again.

Then again being the Sonic fanboy I am it shouldn't be a surprise I've seen it (I'm also one who actually LIKES most of the 3D games and finds the classics to be legendary, at the same time.. I'm a rare fan :p)

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Pretty cool yeah, I've seen it already but its nice to see again.

Then again being the Sonic fanboy I am it shouldn't be a surprise I've seen it (I'm also one who actually LIKES most of the 3D games and finds the classics to be legendary, at the same time.. I'm a rare fan :p)
That would mean you and I are BOTH rare since we're both largely the same. Granted, there are some I don't particularly like (Werewolf Sonic was a bit of a "Stretch" for me... pun halfway intended... plus Sonic Chronicles can go away). I'm generally pretty open minded about most Sonic games. I know alot of people the minute they see the name "Sonic Adventure" pop up they freak out about how it isn't the original 2d stuff. I think I'm a bit rare in that I didn't mind the realistic setting, in fact I actually prefer it. If Sonic 2006 hadn't been broken and glitch-tastic, it might have been an OK game. Then they decided to cartoon-ify the whole thing, starting with werewolf with rubber arms and continuing with colorful jellyfish aliens and skydwelling lizard people that are totally not Koopas. Then Sonic Boom is a whole other tale. My heart will always be with the "Dreamcast Era" (Sonic Adventure through Shadow the Hedgehog, GBA titles included)

But with that said, I do enjoy most Sonic games enough. Lost World, painfully Mario-y as the whole thing is, while different isn't TOO bad. It really takes ALOT to get me to not like a game of any sort, Sonic included.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

UltimateCyborgOverlord said it better than I ever will.
You are correct. There are cutscenes (or rather parts OF cutscenes) that were removed in the final cut and the soldiers were supposed to bleed red blood when shot/stabbed/run over with a truck/punched/homing attacked as were the aliens (now the aliens bleed GREEN blood and the humans just go "bwaahhh" and fall back, there was MORE swearing originally, and a couple of songs were removed, and another one was replaced because the artist (Magna-fi) came to like the song they wrote and wanted to release it personally opting to replace the song "Who I Am" (which was fitting since it's main lyrics were "This is Who I Am" reflecting the line Shadow says in every ending) with "All Hail Shadow".

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
That would mean you and I are BOTH rare since we're both largely the same. Granted, there are some I don't particularly like (Werewolf Sonic was a bit of a "Stretch" for me... pun halfway intended... plus Sonic Chronicles can go away). I'm generally pretty open minded about most Sonic games. I know alot of people the minute they see the name "Sonic Adventure" pop up they freak out about how it isn't the original 2d stuff. I think I'm a bit rare in that I didn't mind the realistic setting, in fact I actually prefer it. If Sonic 2006 hadn't been broken and glitch-tastic, it might have been an OK game. Then they decided to cartoon-ify the whole thing, starting with werewolf with rubber arms and continuing with colorful jellyfish aliens and skydwelling lizard people that are totally not Koopas. Then Sonic Boom is a whole other tale. My heart will always be with the "Dreamcast Era" (Sonic Adventure through Shadow the Hedgehog, GBA titles included)

But with that said, I do enjoy most Sonic games enough. Lost World, painfully Mario-y as the whole thing is, while different isn't TOO bad. It really takes ALOT to get me to not like a game of any sort, Sonic included.
I actually quite enjoyed Unleashed and Shadow's Story in 06. Not to mention the music. I see the Werehog as a cute nod back to Ristar and their old beat em ups like Streets of Rage personally.

Generations stole my heart though, its my favorite 3D Sonic to date still, I still need to get lost world

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I've never met a Sonic game I didn't like until I saw Sonic and the secret rings. Control scheme in that game was terrible, that's why I want a Peter Pan or Harry Potter installment to the Sonic Storybook Series

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I've never met a Sonic game I didn't like until I saw Sonic and the secret rings. Control scheme in that game was terrible, that's why I want a Peter Pan or Harry Potter installment to the Sonic Storybook Series
Secret Rings, I dislike how it plays but I love its story and themes.

Its criminal really, but I enjoyed Black Knight alot more because it was well.. Knights of the Round table lore and Sonic. 2 of my favorite things as odd as they were to mesh.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
2D Sonic games master race.

Smooth Criminal
Hey I like the 2D ones as much as the next guy (3 & K is my personal favorite game in the franchise even) but that doesn't mean the 3D ones don't have their merits.

Hey SC! Long time no see.. I've been gone awhile, doubt you remember me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom