• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
If I were to play a role in a movie, it would be for animation. I'd most likely be a supporting or side character. Possibly a dense protragonist in a television series. I wouldn't mind playing an antagonist once in a while either...I'm down to play almost any role.

Morbi

Scavenger
Using popularity as a means to measure quality has always been a fallacious argument. There has never been any correlation between popularity and quality.

Though some things become popular because they are good, but there's a lot of popular stuff that is mediocre at best.

Antagonist isn't necessary a villain. Antagonist is the one who opposes the protagonist. A villain is an evil character.

There are stories with villainous protagonists (and often also having a heroic antagonist). A good example is the manga/anime Death Note.
I never stated that they were; I asserted that they were synonymous.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Synonymous words are words that share the same meaning or concept.

Villain and antagonist are not synonymous, though they usually overlap. Like I said, there are stories where the protagonist is the villain and the antagonist is heroic.

The protagonist is the central/main character of the story and the antagonist is a character who opposes the protagonist. While it's more normal to have an heroic protagonist with a villain as the antagonist, it's not always the case.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Villain and antagonist are not synonymous, though they usually overlap. Like I said, there are stories where the protagonist is the villain and the antagonist is heroic.

The protagonist is the central/main character of the story and the antagonist is a character who opposes the protagonist. While it's more normal to have an heroic protagonist with a villain as the antagonist, it's not always the case.
There's also those movies who can't decide who the Protagonist and Antagonist are.

Morbi

Scavenger

The protagonist is the central/main character of the story and the antagonist is a character who opposes the protagonist. While it's more normal to have an heroic protagonist with a villain as the antagonist, it's not always (but not never) the case.
Seriously? Okay, I suppose the definitions of words can be misconstrued if you try hard enough. The key aspect of the phrase that you were looking for was "concept" once you look up "antagonist" you would find SIMILAR concepts. I never asserted that they were the same, I quite literally stated that I asserted the antithesis of that notion in the post prior to this one.
I do not mean to sound pretentious, but I understand the definition of the word. You do not need to correct me; if you do not agree, fine. I cite the dictionary, it is my best friend.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I played one level of that game with my brother. After we beat the first level we took to disc onto our driveway and ran it over with my car. CURSE YOU SHADOW! MAY YOU NEVER STAR IN ANOTHER GAME EVER AGAIN!
Disclaimer: I actually love Shadow The Hedgehog, it's one of my favorite Sonic games.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Seriously? Okay, I suppose the definitions of words can be misconstrued if you try hard enough. The key aspect of the phrase that you were looking for was "concept" once you look up "antagonist" you would find SIMILAR concepts. I never asserted that they were the same, I quite literally stated that I asserted the antithesis of that notion in the post prior to this one.

I do not mean to sound pretentious, but I understand the definition of the word. You do not need to correct me; if you do not agree, fine. I cite the dictionary, it is my best friend.
Well, this is confusing...

Really, it is. Excuse me for the bluntness, but sometimes I have no idea of what the hell are you trying to say when posting. It would be easier if you used simpler phrases.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
@ Substitution Substitution I've been lucky in that I haven't had any thunderstorms this summer...yet.

Good luck!
Though, I'll admit I'm more worried about Hurricane Arthur at the moment.

Hurricane Arthur is currently passing over me. It's raining pretty hard
So I've heard.
Can't wait, it seems to be hitting us. And if the last hurricane we got said anything. It won't be good.

I wish I had a thunderstorm.

I love thunderstorms.
Personally, I hate them.
It could just be me being a worrywart, but I always expected the worst with them.

Last edited:

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
we just got a purty good thunder storm here in NH, Arthur I believe will be coming through tomorrow on the 4th of july ofcoruse... im working anyways so I don't particularly care

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
If I were to make an appearance in a film; I would want to be in a horror movie, preferably a "slasher." I could be the token African American that is the first victim to get brutally murdered. I would also want the other characters to allude to my death as the result of a hate-crime. My friends (this movie is fiction) would reminisce about my time as a street-smart thug growing up in a violent neighborhood. The police investigating would comment that it was to happen eventually given my addiction to crack cocaine and tendencies to prostitute. It would be glorious.

Edit- This was seriously my 10,000th post? I love you, me!
I'd be probably the stuck up ***** that dies immediately afterwards. :p

D

Deleted member

Well, I was just curious.
I know.
I just needed an excuse to make the DAMN fourth Chaos Emerald joke and it be relevant.

Not really.
"Antagonist" is defined as a person who actively opposes or is hostile to someone or something; an adversary.

"Villain" is defined as a character whose evil actions or motives are important to the plot.

A villain can be an antagonist, and an antagonist can be a villain, but the two are not synonymous words.
You argue that the definitions aren't absolute. You could be right, but "antagonist" focuses on the opposition factor of the character while "villain" focuses on the evil factor of the character (as well as their plot significance).

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You know, the funny thing is we were talking about weather not too long ago.
It's like foreshadowing in some strange way.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well atleast i'd outlast Morbid.
You would be the somewhat likeable chick who runs away screaming for most of movie and lets her friends die, but then decides to man up towards the end and fight back with the monster and ultimately kill him using conveniently placed environmental hazards.

Then it turns out your other friend was also the monster. The end. I win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom