• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
What makes a story good anyway?
If I were to make an appearance in a film; I would want to be in a horror movie, preferably a "slasher." I could be the token African American that is the first victim to get brutally murdered. I would also want the other characters to allude to my death as a result of a hate crime. My friends (this movie is fiction) would reminisce about my time as a street-smart thug growing up in a violent neighborhood. The police investigating would comment that it was to happen eventually given my addiction to crack cocaine and tendencies to prostitute. It would be glorious.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If I were to play a role on a story (movie, video game, anime...), I'd preferably play a villain, especially if said villain was the big bad and very hammy.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I don't really like watching movies. I can't sit still and I have trouble paying attention. I have to take frequent breaks as well so while watching it with someone would probably make it easier, it would probably be annoying for them.

This is also the main reason I can't get into anime, but at the same time anime is much more convenient to watch, so I can still watch an anime from time to time. I wish I could watch more though. :(

As for my role in a movie, I would be either the comic relief, or the cute anime character that everyone adores. :3

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Shadow the Hedgehog...why does that name haunt me?

Oh right, because spent five grueling hours playing that game.
I played one level of that game with my brother. After we beat the first level we took to disc onto our driveway and ran it over with my car. CURSE YOU SHADOW! MAY YOU NEVER STAR IN ANOTHER GAME EVER AGAIN!

Morbi

Scavenger
I played one level of that game with my brother. After we beat the first level we took to disc onto our driveway and ran it over with my car. CURSE YOU SHADOW! MAY YOU NEVER STAR IN ANOTHER GAME EVER AGAIN!
You are probably one of the most mature individuals that I have ever met, GG.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Regardless, if I was to be in a movie, I'd hope to be in some decent action film like Avatar or Harry Potter.

@ TewnLeenk TewnLeenk
If GoldenYuiitusin is watching all this, you're in big trouble!

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Shadow could be a villain, you'd have to had played his game to know why though.
Regardless, here's another suggestion.
View attachment 17493
Why would I torture myself playing Shadow the Hedgehog? I mean, I have the game, but I've only played it once for a few hours and never touched it again.

Besides, Shadow isn't a good villain. He lacks oomph.

For me, the ideal villain is one that actually accomplishes stuff and manages to defeat the heroes at least once. One that is really evil, drunk with power, intelligent, manipulative, cunning, destructive and willing to do anything to achieve his goals no matter the cost.

Do you even know how much money Avatar made?
Do tell me, how is a movie that makes money inherently good?

Just because something is popular, it doesn't mean it's good.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Shadow the hedgehog had an nice concept. The ability to choose your path and the gunplay were clever ideas, but it still feel flat.

While the ability to choose your path sounds good, the missions you had to do that weren't the normal routes were long and tedious. The lack of a radar system didn't help either. The gunplay was decent enough, but some weapons didn't lock on to enemies so you were force to manually aim at the enemies with floaty and slippery controls.

The environments were also bland and sometimes even reused. However, one thing I will disagree on is that how people think the music is bad. There were plenty of great tunes like Lava shelter, Cosmic Fall, and the main theme.

Making Shadow dark wasn't the problem...sure it was kinda silly, but it could've actually worked if they actually put more time into each feature.

If there were better controls, shorter missions, a radar system, better controlled weapons, better environments, and more diverse bosses, this could've actually been a great game. Maybe not amazing, but still great.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
psst.. I'm just trying to make Cliff Jumper mad :troll:
To be honest with ya, it's not working.
Why would I torture myself playing Shadow the Hedgehog? I mean, I have the game, but I've only played it once for a few hours and never touched it again.

Besides, Shadow isn't a good villain. He lacks oomph.

For me, the ideal villain is one that actually accomplishes stuff and manages to defeat the heroes at least once. One that is really evil, drunk with power, intelligent, manipulative, cunning, destructive and willing to do anything to achieve his goals no matter the cost.

Do tell me, how is a movie that makes money inherently good?

Just because something is popular, it doesn't mean it's good.
so? Megatron fits those requirements just fine!

D

Deleted member

Funny that after I just discussed about certain characters being "villains" or not in another thread, that Shadow gets brought up here erroneously as a villain.

He's an anti-hero. No ifs ands or buts.
Started as a villain (against his control), made a Heel-Face Turn, "died", became an amnesiac anti-hero, then dropped the amnesiac part.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Justin Bieber sells millions of CDs. Does that make him a good artist?
That's an Ok comparison I guess?
Because you know a couple million cd's definitely compares to a Multi-Billion grossing movie that knocked Titanic out of the #1 seat.
Might I also note that both movies are directed by Cameron?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Did you at least find the computer room?

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Most certainly, Justin Beiber is one of the predominant reasons that I listen to ANY pop music. I would assert that he is a good artist, not necessarily based on his sales, of course.
Eh.. bad example on my part. I guess it's different opinions. The point I was attempting to get across was that popularity and quality are two different things.

Morbi

Scavenger
Funny that after I just discussed about certain characters being "villains" or not in another thread, that Shadow gets brought up here erroneously as a villain.

He's an anti-hero. No ifs ands or buts.
Started as a villain (against his control), made a Heel-Face Turn, "died", became an amnesiac anti-hero, then dropped the amnesiac part.
I am not certain if you are aware; however, anti-heroes have the capacity to be antagonists. "Antagonist" is synonymous with "villain" as the definition is not entirely absolute.

D

Deleted member

Did you at least find the computer room?
He didn't even find that DAMN fourth Chaos Emerald.
You expect him to have found the computer room?

I am not certain if you are aware; however, anti-heroes have the capacity to be antagonists. "Antagonist" is synonymous with "villain" as the definition is not entirely absolute.
So what you're saying is.....
....Batman's a villain.
Got it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Using popularity as a means to measure quality has always been a fallacious argument. There has never been any correlation between popularity and quality.

Though some things become popular because they are good, but there's a lot of popular stuff that is mediocre at best.

Antagonist isn't necessary a villain. Antagonist is the one who opposes the protagonist. A villain is an evil character.

There are stories with villainous protagonists (and often also having a heroic antagonist). A good example is the manga/anime Death Note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom