• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I just got back from watching How To Train Your Dragon 2 and Edge of Tomorrow.

Dragon 2 was excellent and I felt it was better than the original. I'd call it "How to make a fantastic sequel" in a short summary. Unlike the original, a stellar movie, I really was able to like the 2nd a lot more.

Edge of Tomorrow felt like taking Oblivion and adding Groundhog Day elements to it. It wasn't very good, but better than Oblivion. Still, too much Tom Cruise in C-List Sci-Fi movies imo. Also, the Mimics look like Twilight Creatures from TP with more tentacles and less physical form.
-Extraterrestrial/Nonhuman threat dupes humans in the twist
-Tom Cruise or some form of Cruise dies multiple times (Oblivion has clones and Edge has Groundhog Day)
-Tom Cruise actually dies but manages to still get a happy ending
-Romance felt ham-fisted
-Tom Cruise is arrogant and in denial
-Instead of Tom Cruise clones, there's one Tom living the same day
-Tom Cruise doesn't use air travel over land travel
-"I have one shot" cliche
-Landscape shot of big capital in flooded ruin, Oblivion has DC and Edge has Paris.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I just got back from watching How To Train Your Dragon 2 and Edge of Tomorrow.

Dragon 2 was excellent and I felt it was better than the original. I'd call it "How to make a fantastic sequel" in a short summary.
Edge of Tomorrow felt like taking Oblivion and adding Groundhog Day elements to it. It wasn't very good, but better than Oblivion. Still, too much Tom Cruise in C-List Sci-Fi movies imo.
Why does everyone compare it to "Oblivion"? Because Tom Cruise was in it? I suppose the correlation cannot be ignored by the general populace. This deeply saddens me.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Edge of Tomorrow felt like taking Oblivion and adding Groundhog Day elements to it. It wasn't very good, but better than Oblivion. Still, too much Tom Cruise in C-List Sci-Fi movies imo.
I know right!
Sheesh, what happened to all the good B-movie sci-fi films. Now it's all pretty and flashy.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Who watches movies for a "good" story? Critics, perhaps; other than that, most movie-goers prefer "master-pieces" such as Transformers: Age of Extinction. By the way, that movie is not as bad as people would have you believe. If you actually read their reviews, there is the prevalence of Michael Bay bias. Not that it is not justified; however, they are "critiquing" Michael Bay more than the actual movie. Albeit, that is one of those movies that you already love or hate going into it. No one really gives a **** about the critics.
Sarcasm?
But I do watch those kinds of movies in between game releases age of extinction is the only one I haven't seen.
But if I'm honestly gonna sit down and watch a movie it has to have a good story or I'll get uninterested.
Big Fish and Forrest Gump are 2 examples of the types of movies I'll leave a game alone to watch.
Edit: and the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit franchises.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I'm usually a person who only watches animated movies (unless it's Hunger Games or Captain America or something like that) and usually tries to stay away from sequals that seem unneeded, unless people say that they're good. So, thanks @ Gunla Gunla I have to watch How to Train Your Dragon 2 now. :awesome:

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Sarcasm?
But I do watch those kinds of movies in between game releases age of extinction is the only one I haven't seen.
But if I'm honestly gonna sit down and watch a movie it has to have a good story or I'll get uninterested.
Big Fish and Forrest Gump are 2 examples of the types of movies I'll leave a game alone to watch.
I suppose you should steer clear of most action, horror, comedy, family, romance, and whatever other genres that do not entail "drama." Those are the movies where the compelling plot-lines are, those are the movies guaranteed fresh by the lovely critics across the inter-webz, and those are the movies that win Academy Awards. Personally, I enjoy movies for what they are. The plot is the least relevant aspect of the movie from my perspective. It is as someone stated earlier, if you want an engrossing plot, play video-games renowned for their story-telling. Or better yet, read a book.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Why does everyone compare it to "Oblivion"? Because Tom Cruise was in it? I suppose the correlation cannot be ignored by the general populace. This deeply saddens me.
I've listed my responses, but it seriously feels like Oblivion 2.0 for a lot of good reasons, it's unavoidable that it's going to get compared. At least it's a better film overall. It's not really saddening that comparisons exist, but it's more saddening that Tom Cruise stars mostly in either B-List action films or C-List Sci-Fi films now. Ever since MI: 3 his roles have seriously fallen in quality imo.
I will give Edge some credit for not having Tom Cruise in a motorcycle, and not using the clones. It's still "Tom Cruise has internal struggle with himself, with Edge being internal denial and Oblivion using physical struggle against himself.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm usually a person who only watches animated movies (unless it's Hunger Games or Captain America or something like that) and usually tries to stay away from sequals that seem unneeded, unless people say that they're good. So, thanks @ Gunla Gunla I have to watch How to Train Your Dragon 2 now. :awesome:
It just takes one recommendation to convince you? Usually I have to consult the critic that has similar tastes to my own, someone that I can trust. It seems as though we have the same opinion regarding every movie. After that I evaluate the scores on rotten tomatoes, I do not find the numbers to be pertinent. I actually find their discrepancy to be more relevant. The closer the values, the more ideal the movie is (from my experience). For instance, if the movie has a 90% critic score, it is a well-made movie, perhaps the actors are integrated well, the character development is prominent, and it has quality production value. If there is a 90% user score, the movie is a great time, there is a lot of crowd pleasing content and it is not meant to be taken seriously. If the user or critic score is inversely disproportionate (90/40 or vice-versa) I usually decide to ignore the movie. However, if the movie has great scores from both ends of the spectrum (80/80) I am virtually guaranteed to throw my money at the clerk. Lastly, I read all of the blurbs to see what was done correctly and poorly. I suppose I take it too seriously as I am a movie enthusiast. The only movie that I watched and hated was Paranormal Activity.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I suppose you should steer clear of most action, horror, comedy, family, romance, and whatever other genres that do not entail "drama." Those are the movies where the compelling plot-lines are, those are the movies guaranteed fresh by the lovely critics across the inter-webz, and those are the movies that win Academy Awards. Personally, I enjoy movies for what they are. The plot is the least relevant aspect of the movie from my perspective. It is as someone stated earlier, if you want an engrossing plot, play video-games renowned for their story-telling. Or better yet, read a book.
I said that.:awesome:
But I'm not ruling out those movies I watch plenty of them.
And I hate reading.
Also story doesn't make the movie for me if the action, drama, comedy, family, romance, horror, or whatever isn't interesting I don't watch it.
But like I said in between game releases I tend to catch up with most popular movies that I missed.
But I'm not just gonna drop everything to see a sequel to a movie that came out last year y'know?
I think you may have misunderstood me a little.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
LOL, plot in video games better than in movies?

Since when do video games have halfway competent writers?

Morbi

Scavenger
LOL, plot in video games better than in movies?

Since when do video games have halfway competent writers?
I specifically added, "renowned for their story-telling." The reason for that is usually quite simple, the length. Games have more time to develop characters and they have the added benefit of you embodying the protagonist. Therefore you share a connection not possible with movies. Not only that, but they do not have to balance the plot to appeal to a certain demographic either, they can just write their story and be done with it. It is more cost effective. However, I would like to note that I asserted that books were more ideal for one searching for a intriguing plot.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
So I just got off another Zelda binge. The more I think about it, the more I want Ganondorf back in Smash already
Well, he's most certainly back (why wouldn't he be?) but I'm hoping for a revamp. Like, using a sword and actual dark magic. Bonus points if he becomes my personal favorite version of Ganondorf:

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I said that.:awesome:
But I'm not ruling out those movies I watch plenty of them.
And I hate reading.
Also story doesn't make the movie for me if the action, drama, comedy, family, romance, horror, or whatever isn't interesting I don't watch it.
But like I said in between game releases I tend to catch up with most popular movies that I missed.
But I'm not just gonna drop everything to see a sequel to a movie that came out last year y'know?
I think you may have misunderstood me a little.
I did not misconstrue anything, I just wanted an excuse to type out one my immaterial rants.

So I just got off another Zelda binge. The more I think about it, the more I want Ganondorf back in Smash already
I suppose I feel the same way; however, I find it difficult to care as he is quite obviously going to return.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
BioShock 2 and Infinite were horrible. BioShock 1 was good because you got to laugh at Ayn Rand the whole game.
Infinite was horrible I agree but Bioshock 2 was fantastic despite not having a huge twist.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Ender's game was probably the best new Sci-Fi movie I have seen for a couple of years. That movie was just really good. Very intricate and deep. I wanna read the book now.

Yeah me neither usually if I want a good story I play games that are notorious for it.
Think Bioshock, Xenoblade, or The Last of Us.
Those 3 games tell a better story than any movie I've ever seen
If you want to play a game for the story then I suggest 999 and VLR, the gameplay is actually built around the story so that the story is the first focus.

Otherwise, if you want a really good story I suggest reading a book sometime.

What makes a story good anyway?
For me, the best stories are the deep and intricate ones.

Or the ones that have dragons.

Morbi

Scavenger
What makes a story good anyway?
I suppose "good" is subjective. However, most people cite character development, rich conflict, interesting rising conflict is important as well; actually that is probably the most prominent aspect necessary to create a good story. Other than that, it is largely at the discretion of whether or not the "audience" was actually intrigued. From my understanding, historical relevance and dark atmospheres accrue more adoration. Innovation is a great tool as no one wants to see something redundant. People also seek a message or moral from the source material.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I suppose "good" is subjective. However, most people cite character development, rich conflict, interesting rising conflict is important as well; actually that is probably the most prominent aspect necessary to create a good story. Other than that, it is largely at the discretion of whether or not the "audience" was actually intrigued. From my understanding, historical relevance and dark atmospheres accrue more adoration. Innovation is a great tool as no one wants to see something redundant. People also seek a message or moral from the source material.
I could write all of things except for character development. I just don't get traditional character development.
Of course, no matter what you write, because can always think that's you're trying too hard to make a compelling story, so I guess I shouldn't worry too much.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Video games often don't have separate acts in their stories, which is a major problem for them

Because they want to get into action right away

Morbi

Scavenger
Video games often don't have separate acts in their stories, which is a major problem for them

Because they want to get into action right away
Agreed. That obviously results in a lot of convulsion as well; they are games first, and a story-telling implement second. However, some games do not have to rely on that "methodology." For instance, the Telltale games or games such as Heavy Rain. So it is an obstacle for most, but not all.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Some games actually divide the story in chapters, like Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus: Uprising or some RTS's. Basically following the chapter = level formula.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I believe there is also a difference between an entertaining story and a good story.

I see some games praised for their story, but it isn't exactly good. Just the situations make the game entertaining.

There are a lot of movies like that as well, but there IS a division

Morbi

Scavenger
Let's see if we can figure this out. What genre of movies is your favorite?
If I were to make an appearance in a film; I would want to be in a horror movie, preferably a "slasher." I could be the token African American that is the first victim to get brutally murdered. I would also want the other characters to allude to my death as the result of a hate-crime. My friends (this movie is fiction) would reminisce about my time as a street-smart thug growing up in a violent neighborhood. The police investigating would comment that it was to happen eventually given my addiction to crack cocaine and tendencies to prostitute. It would be glorious.

Edit- This was seriously my 10,000th post? I love you, me!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom